Berserk and Ancient Prophecies

I was reading some stuff on "Armageddon" and saw some articles that reminded me of Berserk
Nahui Ollin – The End of the Fifth Era
http://www.cracked.com/index.php?name=News&sid=2391&pageid=4
According to most early Central American cultures, the world has already ended four to five times, by methods ranging from flood to armies of hungry jaguars. Our world will apparently get the terrifying Tzitzimime, depicted as either skeletons with rattlesnake penises, or a race of bony, female spider monsters from the stars.

Looked interesting enough, so I check wikipedia and see what I can find
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Suns

Destruction of the four suns

The first sun was called Nahui-Ocelotl, "Four-Jaguar," a date of the ritual calendar. Humankind was first destroyed by jaguars, considered by the Aztec as the nahualli ("animal disguise") of the creator god Tezcatlipoca.

At the end of the second sun, Nahui-Ehécatl, "Four-Wind," a magical hurricane transformed all people into monkeys. That disaster was caused by Quetzalcóatl (the Feathered Serpent) in the form of Ehecatl, the wind god.

A rain of fire had put an end to the third sun, Nahuiquiahuitl, "Four-Rain." Tlaloc as the god of thunder and lightning presided over that period.

The fourth sun, Nahui-Atl, "Four-Water," ended in a gigantic flood that lasted for 52 years. Only one man and one woman survived, sheltered in a huge cypress, but they were changed into dogs by Tezcatlipoca, whose orders they had disobeyed.

[edit] Fifth Sun

Quetzalcóatl created present humanity with the help of Feathered Serpent and his twin Xólotl, the dog-headed god, who succeeded in reviving the dried bones of the dead by sprinkling them with his own blood. The present sun is Nahui-Ollin, "Four-Earthquake," and is doomed to disappear in a tremendous earthquake.[citation needed] The skeleton-like monsters of the west, the tzitzimime, will then appear and kill all people.[citation needed]

These beliefs reveal that the universe is unstable, that death and destruction continually threaten it, and that the end can occur on each of the Calendar Round cycles of approximately 52 years that were celebrated in most of Mesoamerica. The other emphasized the necessity of the sacrifice to the gods. Thanks to Quetzalcóatl's self-sacrifice, the ancient bones of Mictlan, "the Place of Death," gave birth to men. In the same way, the sun and moon were created: the gods, assembled in the darkness at Teotihuacán, built a huge fire; two of them, Nanahuatzin, a small deity covered with ulcers, and Tecciztecatl, a richly bejeweled god, threw themselves into the flames, from which the former emerged as the sun and the latter as the moon. Then the sun refused to move unless the other gods gave him their blood; they were compelled to sacrifice themselves to feed the sun.

Intriguing :idea:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well it's interesting, though the sun is part of a shitload of prophecies/religions/cults in the first place. I think the sun "dying" refers to solar eclipses here, so I see how this could remind one of Berserk, even though the world doesn't end during Occultation ceremonies in Berserk.

Top Bottom