Mushi and Otsu

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Let's hear it (or not hear it) for the reason female readers are still reading the series!

This has to be one of the more controversial relationships in the series, because of how it directly interferes with Musashi's journey. Lucky for him, Otsu's apparently realized the folly of her own goal. And since Inoue often strays from the novel's interpretation of Musashi, I'm wondering what role she'll play in the future, as the story would only get stranger if he pursued it...

What did everyone else take away from her seeing Musashi in Kyoto following he and Denshichiro's duel? Think she's hanging up her hat for now? What's going to become of the childhood couple?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I don't know, that's a pretty loaded take on Otsu and her relationship to Musashi to start with; like, I wouldn't say she directly interferes with his journey since that may be a self-fulfilling notion that begins and ends with Musashi himself, not something she's doing.

Otsu could very well be Musashi's saving grace. She softens him, gives him a reason to live beyond the sword, and his feelings about her could be the part of him that has allowed him to change so much in the last year, what connects him life outside his sword. Did she really interfere, say at the Yagyu? Or did she give him exactly what he needed going into that encounter? What she means to him, and the place she occupies inside his heart and soul, could be what separates him from the likes of men like Gion Toji, or even Ito Ittosai and Sasaki Kojiro for that matter.

Or, to put it less poetically and more in terms of the way of strategy, it gives him a motivation, edge, and understanding those others don't have.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, those added panels in the new vol 25 focus that scene a little more.

Anyway, I agree it's all in Musashi's court. I'm not blaming Otsu for her being a distraction. It's just in the nature of her being attached to his childhood, just as Matahachi is, and can affect him unpredictably. And sure, her memories definitely make Musashi more compassionate and grounded than his rivals. I just wonder how Inoue will choose to use her role. As so far, her direct interactions with Musashi have been subdued and scarce.

I also wonder how she's going to react when the love of her life is elevated to superstar serial-killer status after he limps away from this slaughter.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
As so far, her direct interactions with Musashi have been subdued and scarce.

Yeah, is Musashi going to even kiss a girl before the series ends (Oko biting his lip doesn't count)? Probably saving it for just before the Kojiro fight. His secret weapon: secret erection. =)

Walter said:
I also wonder how she's going to react when the love of her life is elevated to superstar serial-killer status after he limps away from this slaughter.

Well, she was at the scene of his public disemboweling of Denshischiro, and while everyone was horrified, appalled, and scared shitless of him, she didn't seem to even notice the gory scene he left behind; just looked at his bloody face lovingly as ever.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Someone tell me... and excuse me if this is a spoiler..

Did Otsu even exist or was she created by Yoshikawa?

It's been awhile since I read/gave away my book, so I can't look it up...

Top Bottom