Raytheon develops the Pain Gun

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dailymail article

"Where do I put my finger? There ... OK? Nothing's happening ... is it on?"

"Yes, it's on. Move your finger a bit closer."

"Er ... ow! OW!" Not good. I try again. "OWWW!" I pull my hand away sharpish. My finger is throbbing, but seems undamaged.

I was told people can take it for a second, maximum. No way, not for a wimp like me.

I try it again. It is a bit like touching a red-hot wire, but there is no heat, only the sensation of heat. There is no burn mark or blister.

They're calling it the Silent Guardian. I find it awesome, though I definitely understand why the guy's frightened. This means perfect torture, straight out of Dune. No physical damage, just pure pain sent directly to the nerves. It can fire its invisible ray half a mile away too.

Official page: http://www.raytheon.com/products/silent_guardian/
An older BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6297149.stm
Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Can I have one that fires over the Internet? :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Holy shit. The first thing I thought of wasn't how it could be abused for torture, but how an inverse machine could be made to ... tingle the nerves? :carcus:

Seriously though, a range of a half-mile? Think of the impact of such a device over a long period of time. When they develop a weapon that can cause that effect in a wide range, or a half-mile radius ... jesus. Hell on earth.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Holy shit. The first thing I thought of wasn't how it could be abused for torture, but how an inverse machine could be made to ... tingle the nerves? :carcus:

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

P

Pencil-smith

Okay, stuff like this downright scares me.
Maybe this technology makes sense in a lab setting, but the human capacity for cruelty allows for all kinds of horrendously wrong applications.

Why oh why must they research technology like this ?

I think this is a waste of funding. It's sad that they can fund people to make tools of suffering. They could of used the however many billions of dollars to feed starving children or support the homeless. Too bad when the thing backfires on the users it probably wont even make headline news. :troll:

P.S. Apparently it can even give you a baldspot.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I assure you guys this thing is functional, what I'm really skeptical about though is the lack of long term damage if you're exposed repeatedly.

Walter said:

Well after my original thought of torture, I got this idea that maybe this could be the next add-on to videogame controllers after vibrating packs. You just got shot in the game? PAIN! But I didn't edit my post because I have a feeling this isn't going to happen. They're not just sending information to the nerves, they make water particles boil next to them at a very small level, which effectively hurts.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Aazealh said:
You just got shot in the game? PAIN! But I didn't edit my post because I have a feeling this isn't going to happen.

Not going to happen? What about the PainStation those crazy Germans came up with, what with their Pong and electric shocks? May not be mainstream, but someone is sure to do it eventually.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Not going to happen? What about the PainStation those crazy Germans came up with, what with their Pong and electric shocks? May not be mainstream, but someone is sure to do it eventually.

What I meant is that it's unlikely to happen with that particular technology. And that PainStation thing isn't ever going to become a mainstream device either, it's impractical and can cause some pretty serious accidents.

So basically, the SciFi-dream of a prison without bars can become reality.
The shielding is of course adjustable, so you could flood a room with microwaves.
Sounds cool, somehow. :carcus:

So, what's left is to discover how to filter out the "dangerous thoughts" . :puck:

"A Clockwork Orange", anyone?

Top Bottom