Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I have a question I've been meaning to ask; there's obviously a lot of excitement about this game around here, but would you be more or less excited if it was using more RE4 style gameplay rather than being a pure rail shooter?

As for me, I understand it's more original and unique to the capabilities of the Wii, but regardless, that style just doesn't excite me. So, I'm more or less apathetic about this game. On the other hand, if it was an RE4 clone with all the same story elements we've seen, I'd probably get a Wii for it.

For me, I just so glad that his game is doing a lot of things.

1. Going back filling in plot holes.
2. Revealing lots more backstory
3. Most of all its center around wesker.

Ever since the Wesker Reports came out, and he revealed he faked his death, I've been hooked. I had no idea he would make appearance in CV. Since then I've been hooked. I wanted to know so much more about Wesker and the effects the G Virus had on him, and until lately does it look like I'll finally be able to find out. Namely Wesker is the only reason I play RE any more. I just happened that RE4 was fun as hell and made me feel like a fan of the serise again.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, that angle doesn't work for me unfortunately; I find the entire reinserting of Wesker into the story to be embarrassingly lame and forced. Would of been way cooler, and even made more sense, if he had been revealed as Nemesis instead. =)

nemesiswesker.jpg

REVENGE! :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have liked a RE4 gameplay, but as it is I don't mind something a little different. As long as Leon and Ada's love story is furthered at least a little I'll be satisfied. :troll:

Death May Die said:
I wanted to know so much more about Wesker and the effects the G Virus had on him, and until lately does it look like I'll finally be able to find out.

Wait, you think Wesker was infected with the G-Virus? Because it's definitely not the case.

Griffith No More! said:
Well, that angle doesn't work for me unfortunately; I find the entire reinserting of Wesker into the story to be embarrassingly lame and forced.

Well, that's because it objectively is. =) I love Wesker, but his comeback was a complete joke.

I'm not sure what Wesker had Burkin inject himself with. Between the "T", "G", Progenator, "T Veronica" viruses and the RE4 parasite, I not sure at all what he mentioned in his 2nd report.

Most spoilers, Infact. Every "File" to be obtained in the game.

http://www.rehorror.net/thirdeye06/reuc_files.php

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
I'm not sure what Wesker had Burkin inject himself with. Between the "T", "G", Progenator, "T Veronica" viruses and the RE4 parasite, I not sure at all what he mentioned in his 2nd report.

It's supposed to be a special, unknown one that Birkin custom-made for him.

Off subject, we found a calendar that is RE based. Frankly, it one of the better over all calendars I've ran into this year. Not mention stickers!!!

http://www.the-horror.com/imagedisplay.php?img=news/pics/2007%2011%207/calendar/01.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
I can tell just by the cover Aaz will be ordering it. :carcus:

Yesssss. Plus it has 16 months! Four more than your run off the mill calendar! This is just too good an opportunity to miss!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I have never purchased a calendar in my life but this might be the first one. I even read in a Ebay auction that the stickers are those vinyl like reusable ones. I can imagine spiffying up my apartment with these, or even my car windows. I don't know why they included a sticker with the ass from Gun Survivor, I almost forgot that game existed. Thanks calendar!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
I have never purchased a calendar in my life but this might be the first one. I even read in a Ebay auction that the stickers are those vinyl like reusable ones.

Yeah, I read the same too. I'm considering buying one for my brother (Christmas). The cost is low for my mighty euros. :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
New trailer, in Russia: http://www.gamekult.com/video/7768213

EDIT: Game and reviews are out now. It gets an average of over 8/10 so far, which is what I expected. From IGN's review:

IGN said:
there’s no denying the fun we had playing the game, and any Resident Evil fan out there will undoubtedly feel the same way after a few hours of Umbrella Chronicles. It lacks polish, and it may have some annoying gameplay quirks that keep it from being a “great” game by definition, but as a tribute to the Resident Evil franchise, and a fun in-between game that works well in short bursts, UC delivers. There’s a huge variety of RE-inspired levels to blow through, over 20 hours of play (gigantic for a light gun game), nearly a dozen weapons to find and upgrade, and a pretty ambitious amount of scripted cut scenes and classically bad Resident Evil voiceover work.

I'm disappointed at the lack of pointer smoothness they're reporting, however 20 hours is indeed gigantic for that kind of game, it's more than anyone could expect.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
C'mon guys! After 8 pages of comments I would think there would be a little more excitement since today is U.S release day. I will be playing this tonight after work if I manage to put the Contra down. I'm sure this game is going to be awesome, I'll let you know.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's out today but the Lightgun doesnt come out for another week... that's pretty shitty. I'll be picking this up around Christmas,when my bank account fills out more.

I have played this game for about 3 hours instead of writing a paper, and I must say that it's a lot of fun as long as you don't mind it being RE3 oriented. Also, the controls are kind of sluggish and the zombies seem to move at somewhere in the neighborhood of RE3 speed, but it's some great RE fanservice if nothing else. It convinced me to quit playing Crisis Core for awhile anyway, and that's definitely something.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
C'mon guys! After 8 pages of comments I would think there would be a little more excitement since today is U.S release day. I will be playing this tonight after work if I manage to put the Contra down. I'm sure this game is going to be awesome, I'll let you know.

Not out in Europe yet, and I'll be getting it for Christmas along with the gun add-on. I'm still excited about it. =)

bph said:
I have played this game for about 3 hours instead of writing a paper, and I must say that it's a lot of fun as long as you don't mind it being RE3 oriented. Also, the controls are kind of sluggish and the zombies seem to move at somewhere in the neighborhood of RE3 speed, but it's some great RE fanservice if nothing else. It convinced me to quit playing Crisis Core for awhile anyway, and that's definitely something.

What do you mean RE3 oriented? As far as I know the majority of the game doesn't take place in the RE3 setting.

I can't say for sure as I haven't finished it yet, but a large hunk of it does take place in the RE3 setting, actually. I did read the IGN review and they seem to agree with me, and apparently there is no RE 2 or 4 stuff at all, which is kind of disappointing. I would still recommend it, though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
I can't say for sure as I haven't finished it yet, but a large hunk of it does take place in the RE3 setting, actually. I did read the IGN review and they seem to agree with me, and apparently there is no RE 2 or 4 stuff at all, which is kind of disappointing. I would still recommend it, though.

Ok, I guess I'll see that by myself when I get the game. Concerning the lack of RE2, we discussed it at length in the thread. Ada's part acts as a subsitute of some sort I guess. As for RE4, it was clear from the start that it wouldn't be featured, with UC focusing on the fall of Umbrella and all that. It's basically intended to be a recap of the events before and up to RE4, disclosing facts that we previously ignored.

Ok. So I've been playing this game.
Basically it's just like one boss fight after another...sprinkle zombies in-between and you got UC...so far.

I won't go as far as to a this game is blowing me away. The aiming I'll give a low 8 on a scale or 10. But it could be becuz I'm a brand new Wii user and still getting used to things. So far tho, not bad.

I feel the same. I've pretty new to the Wii and its a big screwy, it feels a lot...like a arcade game. Which I'm not used too. I feel like I should be holding a light gun. But...with the Wii controler...I pretty much am. I wierd. The game however, I'm enjoying a lot. I have 12 more hours to look forward too, if its really 20 hours long. This game is kinda like taking a walk...but through Raccoon City so far. I like all the things you can shoot. I've always wanted to bust and blow down doors and mess up the stranglely still in decent shape mansion in the orginal. Now I get to.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It took me about 2-3 days to get used to using the wiimote. So far, Metroid Prime 3 is the real test of whether or not you can use the wiimote effectively. Im guessing UC may be no different. Once you get the hang of it though, it's a great feeling.

Death May Die said:
I feel like I should be holding a light gun. But...with the Wii controler...I pretty much am.
You know the Wii light gun Zapper is coming out next week, packaged with a free game, right? And UC will work with it, of course.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It seems Sega's already banking on the Wii Zapper's success; they've announced that a compilation of House of the Dead 2 & 3 will be released on the Wii in early 2008.

Top Bottom