Episode 290

Long time lurker, first time poster!

There is something about this preview picture that made me want to share the feelings that I felt when I saw it. I have been following Berserk for the past 6 or 7 years, and the stuff on the skullknight.net as well, but I have never felt any real inclination to post. However, there was something very powerful in this preview picture that appealed to me a great deal.

To me, one of the main appeals of Berserk is that, no matter what happened so far, and probably in the future, Guts has remained human. As the story progresses, and circumstances get tougher, it is easy to forget that Guts is just a normal human being, and this picture has really served very well to remind me how vulnerable and fragile he actually is. There was also something about the way this picture has been drawn. I am no artist, but the best word I can use to describe this picture is "soft". It could be due to the lighting inside the ship, or it could just be an effect Miura is employing, but I must take my hats off to him for creating such an emotional picture.

And thanks to blueberserk for providing the preview so early!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Jaze1618 said:
Ok where the heck is puck in that picture? Ivarella looks like she is attending to guts? Is puck still up on deck with Isidro?

Thats where he was at the end of the last episode, yes.

zrexe said:
Long time lurker, first time poster!

There is something about this preview picture that made me want to share the feelings that I felt when I saw it. I have been following Berserk for the past 6 or 7 years, and the stuff on the skullknight.net as well, but I have never felt any real inclination to post.

Come on now, don't try to fool anyone. You only registered because this forum is now invisible to guests. Like me and hundreds (?) of former lurkers :ganishka:

I hope Guts gets some miraculous healing or several years of rest to recover. Not only because it's getting ludicrous the amount of damage he's suffered, but also because one gets tired of seeing the main character half-dead. I miss the Guts pre-armor. The one we have now is either an enraged beast or a walking zombie.

JK said:
Come on now, don't try to fool anyone. You only registered because this forum is now invisible to guests. Like me and hundreds (?) of former lurkers :ganishka:

I hope Guts gets some miraculous healing or several years of rest to recover. Not only because it's getting ludicrous the amount of damage he's suffered, but also because one gets tired of seeing the main character half-dead. I miss the Guts pre-armor. The one we have now is either an enraged beast or a walking zombie.

haha, is it? I honestly didn't know, I registered a while back though, I remember clearly I could still read the forums as a guest. If I was not mistaken though, I think the reason I registered was because I read somewhere about the existence of a translation forum on these boards, which I never knew had existed.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
Daijyashin said:
Yes, I'm sorry for my imprecision. Anyway I like to consider the Beast of Darkness as the "Ideal" part of Guts consciousness, deriving from the Skull Knight speech about the fight within Darkness and :idea:'s speech.

The Only thing I can't understand well, is if the Beast have some Influence on Beherit..In vol 16 I don't think Guts is that moodly destroyed.
Could deep Id manipulate the Spiritual tear?
Or the Fear he feels that time would be a pretty catalyst?

I think you're reading into this a lil too far. The Beast is NOT a sentient creature of its own identity. It's a part of Guts, representing the darker side of Guts' persona and his darkest desires, it IS Guts. No idea on its' origin, but I think I'm safe on the other stuff I said.

Now for the Beherit, the Beherit is predestined to be used by someone, as long as the person it is meant for possesses it at the right time, it'll activate. The Beast has as much power over the beherit as guts does, which is next to none. There is quite the possibility that the Beherit Guts obtained during the Count stint is not meant for him, or anyone he even knows.

EDIT: Very interested to see how this episode goes, especially the potential of another Beast/Guts confrontation.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Black_Devil said:
I think you're reading into this a lil too far. The Beast is NOT a sentient creature of its own identity. It's a part of Guts, representing the darker side of Guts' persona and his darkest desires, it IS Guts. No idea on its' origin, but I think I'm safe on the other stuff I said.

Now for the Beherit, the Beherit is predestined to be used by someone, as long as the person it is meant for possesses it at the right time, it'll activate. The Beast has as much power over the beherit as guts does, which is next to none. There is quite the possibility that the Beherit Guts obtained during the Count stint is not meant for him, or anyone he even knows.

EDIT: Very interested to see how this episode goes, especially the potential of another Beast/Guts confrontation.

Yes, it was excactly what i mean talking of the "Ideal Part" Of Guts.
I Know too that Beast of Darkness is the The Guts' Id, infact I would consider the whole Darkness in wich he fought the Perfect Womb to make the Beasts(Id) Grow(and Thirsty).

Thus, accordin to :idea: principles, I don't think there would be a sentient or indipendent being. :idea: Tells the truth about the human nature and Guts is perfectly suitable as well.
Considering, that sadness is the perfect fuel for Hate, I don't think that the Beast would be chained for aver, probably, since Guts is forced to stay calm, an eventual sadness(still deriving from casca) could change something.

Anyway That's what I think, maybe could be wrong.

excellent, excellent...

Bloody hell, at the news that a year ago the voyage began... Episode releases really have been quite slow. This episode seems promising though, obviously dealing with the resurgence of the beast from the darkness.

Daijyashin said:
Yes, it was excactly what i mean talking of the "Ideal Part" Of Guts.
I Know too that Beast of Darkness is the The Guts' Id, infact I would consider the whole Darkness in wich he fought the Perfect Womb to make the Beasts(Id) Grow(and Thirsty).

Thus, accordin to :idea: principles, I don't think there would be a sentient or indipendent being. :idea: Tells the truth about the human nature and Guts is perfectly suitable as well.
Considering, that sadness is the perfect fuel for Hate, I don't think that the Beast would be chained for aver, probably, since Guts is forced to stay calm, an eventual sadness(still deriving from casca) could change something.

Anyway That's what I think, maybe could be wrong.

As Yoda said fear is to anger, anger is to hate, to hate, is to suffering.

I think the suffering is caused by his hatred. Think about it, it was clearly that the beast feed on his hate, and see its consecuences.. (for example when he almost raped casca, and that was even before getting the armor). He was ashamed of himself and afraid of what he could have done if he didnt stopped
Guts always had fear, fear to to be betrayed, to not being loved, and that fear was turned into rage since his young days (remember after his rape and trying to ask Gambino abot it how he split a water barrel with no reason aside to convert his pain in fury).
The problem is that the astral wound is weakenin his willpower and his body as well, while at the same time the beast has grown stronger thanks to the armor
The wounds that received in the last battle are weakening him even more in body and mind while the beast reamain as strong as ever. I thinks its not that the beast has grown stronger recently, but Guts has become weaker and the control of the beast is harder now

MaN said:
Quick Try at Coloring

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roarfromdarknesshz6.jpg

Great job. Guts sure spends a lot of time on the mend. I'd hope while the Elf King is restoring Casca's mind he heals guts body...At least somewhat.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
There'll be a break after this episode. The next one will come out on November 9th. And according to YA the next issue will come back to Griffith's side for his final battle with Ganishka in Wyndham.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
There'll be a break after this episode. The next one will come out on November 9th. And according to YA the next issue will come back to Griffith's side for his final battle with Ganishka in Wyndham.
Holy shit, that was quick :isidro: I figured that would be years ahead

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

Interesting, I didn't think we'd be seeing Griffith again so soon. I thought for sure that we'd stick with Guts and company until they got to Elfhelm, at the very least. Nevertheless, this final showdown should be pretty epic. Thanks for the info, Aazealh.

Walter said:
Holy shit, that was quick :isidro: I figured that would be years ahead

No kidding; a couple years, at least. Maybe his patience ran out and he just couldn't wait to draw it? Nah... :ganishka:

I don't mean to complain, but November 9th? Arg! Mr.Miura seems to be taking his good old time these days... Makes me feel like some major things will happen and then he'll wrap it up.

pippin22 said:
Makes me feel like some major things will happen and then he'll wrap it up.

That would kinda suck. I expected more political situations involving Griffith and the Final Battle. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

iamdani

Hobo
Aren't we being treated to two releases this month? Consider this an early October present from the great man himself. =)

Rhombaad said:
Interesting, I didn't think we'd be seeing Griffith again so soon. I thought for sure that we'd stick with Guts and company until they got to Elfhelm, at the very least. Nevertheless, this final showdown should be pretty epic. Thanks for the info, Aazealh.

No kidding; a couple years, at least. Maybe his patience ran out and he just couldn't wait to draw it? Nah... :ganishka:

Maybe there is a reason why this particular part of the story will be dealt with so soon? And what will Griffith be focusing on afterwards?

*looks forward to answers*

CnC

Ad Oculos
This just makes me anticipate THIS episode more, wonder whats going to happen to wrap up this little bit of the story.

Agreed CnC. I predict they've gotten close enough to Elfhelm to get this story moving along, and we'll end on a cliffhanger involving it. Then, once we're back from Griffith, they'll actually get there for sure.

iamdani

Hobo
So if this is the last we will see of Guts and company for a while, what are the chances that we will not get what we want or that the characters will encounter something they weren't expect? Or maybe even no travel related developments at all, just more solid character development?

I think it would make sense to keep something like arriving at Elfhelm in the bag for that wee bit longer, especially with the great build up it has had. A few more episodes away from Guts company, the time just before they get there, sounds like a great way to increase fan excitement (nevermind the fan excitement over the earlier than expected Griffith sub(main!)plot.

pippin22 said:
I don't mean to complain, but November 9th? Arg! Mr.Miura seems to be taking his good old time these days... Makes me feel like some major things will happen and then he'll wrap it up.

That will suck. I have been dreaming of reading berserk for the next 5 years. If Miura-sensei wraps it up there goes my only interest in seinen Manga.

Top Bottom