Episode 290

venicia said:
That will suck. I have been dreaming of reading berserk for the next 5 years. If Miura-sensei wraps it up there goes my only interest in seinen Manga.
I think people are jumping the gun a bit too early as to conclusions with the manga...Aazealh simply said there is some news regarding the final confrontation between Griffith and Ganishka. Even if it were to only last one episode (doubtful), that wouldn't end the manga or mean all that's left is for a final confrontation between Guts and Griffith. Ganishka has definitely been a heavy focus for a few years now, but I doubt his defeat will trigger a conclusion any time within the next couple of years.

Edit: Thanks CnC.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Excellent stuff.

Looks like Wally hit the nail on the head regarding volume 32's cover. I guess he's the Admin for a reason =P

Damaramu

I, Damaramu, will regret this
Walter said:
Holy shit, that was quick :isidro: I figured that would be years ahead

It's not like it's an unexpected battle, and I don't think that anyone is stupid enough to place any bets on Ganishka. Best to get foregone conclusions out of the way quickly I guess. I wouldn't have been (or wont be) too surprised if the episode just starts with Ganishka's head on a pole.

It looks like Griffith will soon become the King he is that first episode of the anime. Makes me wonder, did they know something then, or how much of it was yet another example of why tv people should not write manga stories, and just how much there was from miura. I mean, if Guts is to end up all alone again... that would suck.

Ah well, the anticipation is killing me to read this episode. Next time I'll read first, then post :p
Thanks all.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Thanks CnC!

Was that "person" in the apple barrel a new character or one of our previous two little friends? I've never seen that face drawn before, that's why I ask.

EDIT: Nevermind I saw the copyright symbol under the picture, must be another anime/cartoon character's likeness.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Damaramu said:
It looks like Griffith will soon become the King he is that first episode of the anime. Makes me wonder, did they know something then, or how much of it was yet another example of why tv people should not write manga stories, and just how much there was from miura.

I know this was in jest, but it still wouldn't work since Griffith wasn't king at the time when Guts killed the snake baron. He didn't even exist in the physical world.

The art in at least half of this episode is stunning, and its great to see so many shots of the beast.

Thanks CnC for the episode!

Cool stuff with the beast breaking those chains at the end. And it seems like Farnese is thanking Roderick for bringing her aboard the ship (as well as mulling over what she did in the previous episodes). Not much or me to say until I figure out what everyone's saying other then Puck & Magnifico = win. :puck:

Next episode/collected volume's out in November; oh well. More time to focus on my classes anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I hate to be a hypocritical dick, but I HUMBLY REQUEST A TRANSLATION. The beast was blabbing his drooling jaws all throughout the first 10 pages here and I just gotta know what was the gist of it.

Looks like Magnifico got over his sickness and is revealing his ULTIMATE (ultimately will fail) PLAN! Also, poor Serpico. Farnese is destined for Roderick, I think. They're a good couple.

Anyway, onto the quotes:
Uriel said:
Looks like Wally hit the nail on the head regarding volume 32's cover. I guess he's the Admin for a reason =P
I don't think I said anything too special. Other people saw before me that it was indeed the full cover, unless Im missing something...

Damaramu said:
It's not like it's an unexpected battle, and I don't think that anyone is stupid enough to place any bets on Gashinka. Best to get foregone conclusions out of the way quickly I guess. I wouldn't have been (or wont be) too surprised if the episode just starts with Gashinka's head on a pole.
Lol, you can't be serious. Of course it's an imminent battle, Im just saying since so much has been building towards their ultimate confrontation, I figured it would be a much longer wait before we see it on the page. Like, say, as long as we've waited for Elfhelm. :carcus:

It looks like Griffith will soon become the King he is that first episode of the anime. Makes me wonder, did they know something then, or how much of it was yet another example of why tv people should not write manga stories, and just how much there was from miura.
No, that's been confirmed as an error on behalf of the anime staff.

Damaramu

Scorpio said:
I know this was in jest, but it still wouldn't work since Griffith wasn't king at the time when Guts killed the snake baron. He didn't even exist in the physical world.

The art in at least half of this episode is stunning, and its great to see so many shots of the beast.

Well, Walter says it's an error and that's good enough for me, but the reason I said it was one of the very first lines in the anime (said by some patrons of the inn before Guts makes his dramatic entrance) is something along the lines: "Life has become unbearable since Griffith has become king". Fair enough though, an error it is then [that whole 1st episode was an error... *grumble* *grumble*]

[edit]
Also, as far as I'm concerned, there needs not be a one to one correspondence in time period the manga started in [with Casca in the Cave and Guts just wandering] and the anime start - for all we know the anime mistake could have taken place after the whole Elfheim saga we have yet to read.

This episode is great though. If my quick read through is at all accurate, that idiot is trying to persuade Roderick into going after some elfish treasure and selling out the gang. Magnifico...

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Yeah, kind of hard to be king when you're still in your previous incarnation as Femto, crusing around with the rest of the Godhand. ;)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Thanks for the episode, CnC! Looks like I was a little off (maybe more than a little) about there being a cliffhanger ending. Ah well, that last shot of Guts is pretty cool. :guts:

And I was wrong about Vol. 32's cover...sad day... :judo: (Still looks bad-ass, though, hehe).

Damaramu

KazigluBey said:
Yeah, kind of hard to be king when you're still in your previous incarnation as Femto, crusing around with the rest of the Godhand. ;)

If that's not what Griffith is after, can you explain to me why he's still bothering with Charlotte? Please don't tell me Griffith loves her or something. I'm certain Griffith never gave up his dream to become king for whatever reason (probably wants respect more than fear) - though I agree that it is a step down from being a God. Griffith was always a little weird in the head though...

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I was referring to the mistake in the anime. Griffith is a divine being now, or at least something far beyond human, so I doubt he loves a simple human like Charlotte. He needs her in order to become king, that's been pretty obvious since before the eclipse.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
All this talk of an anticlimactic ending seems pretty presumptuous to me, without a translation. And anyway, we don't always get cliffhangers between story segments. I'd say it's the inverse actually. Not really sure what you guys expected. I like the way it ended with Guts being reflective. The last time he's had a chance to really reflect by himself was before the Moonlight Child showed up on the beach.

I think the beast dialogue could potentially be some killer stuff too. The imagery of the chains coming from the Eclipse were pretty stunning. And the beast wandering away, dragging its chains was a haunting image that'll probably stay in my head longer than a pirate battle on the ship's deck would have.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
The imagery of the chains coming from the Eclipse were pretty stunning. And the beast wandering away, dragging its chains was a haunting image that'll probably stay in my head longer than a pirate battle on the ship's deck would have.

oh man! I had completely forgotten about those pirates! Wonder what they're up to now they're cruising around in a bunch of tattered ships in the middle of the ocean.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
You keep jumping to conclusions re: other people's posts, Damaramu... 一生の不覚!

Gorgeous episode, gorgeous. Thanks! Wish I had one or two crazy high res pages to color. :void:

Scorpio said:
oh man! I had completely forgotten about those pirates! Wonder what they're up to now they're cruising around in a bunch of tattered ships in the middle of the ocean.

Probably making a lot of work for the sawbones at the moment, arr...

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Thanks CnC.

The Beast of Darkness seems to be playing off Guts' fear of losing everyone again and his feeling of impotence when it comes to Griffith. Especially since the last time he saw him, Guts was too torn up to do anything.

And I have to echo the sentiments of absolutely gorgeous art.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I expected more political situations involving Griffith and the Final Battle. I'm sure it'll all work out in the end.

Yeah, I mean this is just an announcement from YA so don't take it too literally. I imagine we'll see Griffith arriving near Wyndham and preparing the battle with other generals, and we can have political interactions there and then. This alternance between Guts and Griffith makes for very convenient time lapses, sparing us the boring weeks at sea for Guts & co, and the boring travel to Wyndham from Vritannis for Griffith and his now giant army. It's cutting straight to the good parts basically. This is nothing we haven't seen before, like when Guts and Casca went back to Godot's place from Albion. I'm really not worried about it.

venicia said:
I have been dreaming of reading berserk for the next 5 years. If Miura-sensei wraps it up there goes my only interest in seinen Manga.

I'll have to agree with Phoenix Wrong! here, I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. I personally don't doubt that we'll be reading Berserk for the next 5 years and more. It's not like Ganishka was ever supposed to be the final antagonist or anything, and I for one was already saying years ago now that I was expecting him to go down while Guts & co would be in Elfhelm, allowing Griffith to establish his reign at last. Like I just told Proj, all we're missing here is the travel of a huge army to the city's capital, and even then we might actually see a bit of it anyway. If Miura thinks it's enough then I suggest we go ahead and trust his judgment at least until the episode's here.

Damaramu said:
I don't think that anyone is stupid enough to place any bets on Ganishka. Best to get foregone conclusions out of the way quickly I guess. I wouldn't have been (or wont be) too surprised if the episode just starts with Ganishka's head on a pole.

You're dismissing Ganishka far too easily, and you're sorely mistaken if you think the whole battle in Wyndham deal will be over at the beginning of episode 291.

Walter said:
Looks like Magnifico got over his sickness and is revealing his ULTIMATE (ultimately will fail) PLAN! Also, poor Serpico. Farnese is destined for Roderick, I think. They're a good couple.

Yeah, that poor Magnifico can't help but try I guess. And well, I guess Serpico will be alright, it was about time he got out of this unhealthy relationship with his half-sister. :guts:

Damaramu said:
Fair enough though, an error it is then [that whole 1st episode was an error... *grumble* *grumble*] [...] Also, as far as I'm concerned, there needs not be a one to one correspondence in time period the manga started in [with Casca in the Cave and Guts just wandering] and the anime start

There was a lot of inaccurate material in that first episode, but it was also easily one of the coolest of the whole TV series, so I wouldn't say that. And there is definitely a correspondence between the animated series and the manga. It's just an inaccurate representation. It's not happening later in the story or anything, don't be ridiculous.

Damaramu said:
I'm certain Griffith never gave up his dream to become king for whatever reason (probably wants respect more than fear) - though I agree that it is a step down from being a God.

Griffith was never a God, nor are the other members of the God Hand. And it's not a step down for him to become king of Midland. He's still part of the God Hand, he hasn't regressed. If anything, getting a physical body while the others can't was a great promotion.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
This alternance between Guts and Griffith makes for very convenient time lapses, sparing us the boring weeks at sea for Guts & co, and the boring travel to Wyndham from Vritannis for Griffith and his now giant army. It's cutting straight to the good parts basically. This is nothing we haven't seen before, like when Guts and Casca went back to Godot's place from Albion. I'm really not worried about it.

And those lack of time lapses can sometimes make publishers irritated. Though by this point I doubt Miura has to worry about that much.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
It's not like Ganishka was ever supposed to be the final antagonist or anything, and I for one was already saying years ago now that I was expecting him to go down while Guts & co would be in Elfhelm, allowing Griffith to establish his reign at last.

And so far you look to be right on the money.

We can look back to the first time that the apostle army went into Wyndham and how Ganishka's Daka and Pishacha were getting beat pretty badly until Ganishka got tired of that nonsense and grew to epic proportions. If he's hoping to use mass numbers of semi-decent soldiers against a group of apostle, killing machines he's gonna fail. Let's hope he comes up with some strategies that will make this battle memorable.

Top Bottom