Episode 290

Oh forgot to add,
I loved this episode for a ton of reasons. For quite awhile now (years+) I've had a very tiny sickening feeling things could take a very different course (being the unpredictability that comes with the territory), scared to death of a potential, RE: very "narrow" chance of "Griffith and Guts unite to battle Ganishka!" scenario have been put to rest. Yes, it was a sickening feeling however small, imagining Guts and Griffith teaming up and putting their PETTY RIVALRY ASIDE FOR A GREATER GOOD!

Blessed Miura. Can't wait for the battle now.

Oh, and Elf Hell needs to be sieged. Normandy style.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Oh forgot to add,
I loved this episode for a ton of reasons. For quite awhile now (years+) I've had a sickening feeling things could take a very different course, scared to death of a potential "Griffith and Guts unite to battle Ganishka!" scenario have been put to rest. Yes, it was a sickening feeling, imagining Guts and Griffith teaming up and putting their PETTY RIVALRY ASIDE FOR A GREATER GOOD...

Blessed Miura. Can't wait for the battle now.

Oh, and Elf Hell needs to be sieged. Normandy style.
Man, Im glad you're not the one writing the series. :carcus:

Walter said:
Man, Im glad you're not the one writing the series. :carcus:
I tried rewording this as best I could but I knew an opening for sarcasm would come somehow! I was implying as said I hoped for nothing of the sort, but thought it wasn't -completely- impossible (FORGIVE MY LACK OF FAITH!) a very tiny pessimistic part could not put it completely till rest until now.

I just read the full translation. Guts is pretty much a time bomb now, if the beast's words are going to hold true. It sounds like he's going to lay dormant until a significant enough opportunity arises, then everyone around Guts is completely fucked, no exceptions.
:casca: :chomp: :isidro: :chomp: :serpico: :chomp: :puck: :chomp:

Thanks CNC.

The dream sequence was great, in my opinion it's the best out of all the beast moments as far as impact goes. It always seemed plausible history would repeat itself and at least a few members of the band would die pushing Guts over the edge, but I'm not sure if this makes the idea more or less likely to take place now that the idea has been thrown out in the open.

BTW his facial scars don't appear to be healing afterall, looks like thats his new face from this point onwards. Perhaps I'm not taking into consideration the amount of time it's been on the boat thus far, but now I'm more thinking they aren't going to subside.

Overall lately, when things should be going better for him (being in the clear from enemies for at least a while and going to Elfhelm) he still is in pain. It would be nice to see things work out for him in the not too distant future for a change.

Black_Devil said:
Yes, I meant Grunbeld in his Apostle form. I honestly think Guts would've died to the fully released Grunbeld, even though he was able to crack Grunbeld's corundum armor, it really looked like Berserker Guts could only manage to trade with Apostle Grunbeld, which I think would've seriously ended up being fatal.

It's been speculated before on whether Guts would've died during that battle before finishing Grunberd off. It's likely, but needless to say only because Guts was in such a terrible state before putting on the Berserker armour.
After all these years and we are still yet to see Guts fight in the Armour without serious physical damage. Just wait and see though, in the episode when he finally does utilise the armour in his prime physical state, Sk.net fans all over the world will be having wet dreams for weeks following. ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Just wait and see though, in the episode when he finally does utilise the armour in his prime physical state, Sk.net fans all over the world will be having wet dreams for weeks following. ;)
Even in good physical condition, the armor would push his body to its limits and tear him apart with extended use.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Honestly I would just stick to the Manga. Best source material out there.

Yea the speech was echoing in my head , but i referenced the manga and it was no where to be found( i thought it was)

well anyways thanks you guys for clearing it up

pardon my ignorance

Walter said:
Even in good physical condition, the armor would push his body to its limits and tear him apart with extended use.

Undoubtedly, but I still assume there'll be a huge difference in performance compared to all the previous times.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Black_Devil said:
I don't see any situation possible that the Idea could benefit from Guts surviving.

Well there are plenty to be found already, and people mentioned a few in this very thread. Since it's been discussed at length in the past I won't go over it again, but like I said it remains debatable.

Black_Devil said:
But in this case, wouldn't Guts(and the beast, but more on that later) be more of an unwanted pest? Of course, not like they could do anything to it(nor have any way to the Ideal world that we know of) at current time anyway.

You've got your answer here. Guts is regarded at best as an insignificant nuisance by the God Hand, and at worst as a distraction. If they didn't underestimate him (and SK), there's no way the good guys could win in the end. The mighty always fall because of arrogance.

Black_Devil said:
Now onto something related to this episode, it really seems to me that the Beast is coming into its own as an entity now. At first I just thought him and Guts to be two sides of the same coin, but it's speech indicates to me at least that it is its' own sentient being.

The Beast of Darkness represents a part of Guts, his darker side. The key element to understand its character is that it's a personification. A personification is a literary process through which a person or creature is shown representing an abstract quality or idea. So, while the Beast is indeed a sapient being, it's still only a part of Guts, it represents his dark feelings. This is shown very clearly in this episode's dialogue by the fact it uses "You" and "I" as the same word when talking to Guts.

Black_Devil said:
But, what could the beast possibly do to Griffith? In the world of speculation, do you guys think the beast has its' own power? [...] I just don't see how the Beast could have any meaningful impact besides being a wild creature.(That would've almost assuredly died to Grunbeld if that encounter can be used as any measure of the Beast's might).

The Beast doesn't have its own power. And its goal doesn't necessarily include Guts' survival either, like Walter said. It's simply boiling with hatred and rage and trying to overwhelm Guts. If I was into Freudian bullshit, I could tell you it's his death drive. The Beast's impact isn't so much about other people than it is about Guts himself.

About Grunberd, yeah I believe it's likely Guts would have died fighting at that time. This is doubly tricky too, since the Berserk's Armor itself favors suicidal behavior regardless of the individual using it.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
(FORGIVE MY LACK OF FAITH!)

There used to be a time when people like you were hanged, drawn and quartered. :miura:

mike.william said:
I just read the full translation. Guts is pretty much a time bomb now, if the beast's words are going to hold true.

Hehe well, hopefully they won't hold true. I think Guts will eventually find the strength within himself to control his impulses and by extension, the Beast. Like with everything else, Elfhelm seems likely to help with this to me. Casca, for one, could probably help him a lot, to get over the Occultation but also to view things a little differently in general.

Sparnage said:
BTW his facial scars don't appear to be healing afterall, looks like thats his new face from this point onwards. Perhaps I'm not taking into consideration the amount of time it's been on the boat thus far, but now I'm more thinking they aren't going to subside.

Yeah, maybe it's beyond the elves' power, or maybe it needs more time. They might always get cured in Elfhelm too if they don't get better before, or not. I'd feel bad for him if he remained like that permanently.

C

cajunman380

My cents in this episode..........GOOOOOOOD STUFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

Seriously I wasn't expecting this. Miura always manages to surprise me one way or another and it never gets old. A shame that it will switch back to Griffith next issue (I don't like him), but the wait is well worth it. Now all we need is for the ship folk to be attacked by a kracken and this sea journey will be complete. :carcus:

More additional points: The scene with the beast is quite possibly the best beast scene yet. You can clearly see the impact Guts' new comrades have on him and the effects of being the Black Swordsman. The fact that last episode had Farnese asking Schierke if magic can be used to fix dreams leads me to believe we may see something of the sort in the future. Good stuff.

Magnifico: Well I give him points for being ambitious but still....cmon. Oh and Roderick gained massive points in this episode as well. I do wonder what's going on in Farnese's head though. Does she really feel useless or is it a result of her still feeling like she isn't the most important person in Guts' life. Could this lead to jealousy in the future? Who knows?

After reading the translation it seems that the beast is playing with Guts.
And I prefer it to a fully tamed beast.A berserker warrior able to control himself? No,thanks.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Guts just needs to meet this lady and all will be solved:

picoldboy2um4.jpg

Baldulf said:
And a bit of hypnosis to make him forget half his life.And what next?

More than half his life. The shit started for him at 3. By nine he was already getting ass raped. Most men make it to adulthood before being forcefully assraped by a black guy that's way bigger than them.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
What bothers me the most is if Griff is inhuman why is he "busy" in such a ridiculous petty matter like being King. I mean he's somewhat of a God and above all that, so why? It's a very cheap macho ambition right?
Anyway lovely episode, the art is awesome, but as usual i didnt like the constant 2 pages per episode of stupid elf humour...*sigh*

What bothers me the most is if Griff is inhuman why is he "busy" in such a ridiculous petty matter like being King

Can't you see the relation between the Godhand and mankind fears and desires? Where do you think Griffith powers come from?

D

Duststorm

This episode was by far more interesting for me then the last 2.

Though one thing confuses me why the change from Femto to a hawk of light, before this when Guts had feelings of hate towards Griffith he had image of Femto. Now it is a hawk, does it mean anything, is guts view of Griffith changing?

NightCrawler said:
What bothers me the most is if Griff is inhuman why is he "busy" in such a ridiculous petty matter like being King. I mean he's somewhat of a God and above all that, so why? It's a very cheap macho ambition right?

Not really cheap or macho, per se. The Kingship has always been Griffith's ultimate goal. It is what Ubik (in his old woman "costume") focused on when he was "persuading" Griffith to sacrifice the Band of the Hawk during the eclipse. Why shouldn't it be his focus now. I do not believe that any of the God Hand have become liberated from their own dreams/desires due to their ascension, in fact the very act of them sacrificing something dear to them in exchange for their "dream" is the ultimate embrace of personal desire. The fact that we know so little about the other God Hand members makes it impossible to know their motives or desires (though we can speculate).

That Griffith is "somewhat of a god," doesn't make him above his human lusts and desires, the power he has doesn't ensure that he will be above earthly desire (just as in many mythologies the "gods" are just as or more petty than the mortals) something in which the ceremonies revel in.

NightCrawler said:
Anyway lovely episode, the art is awesome, but as usual i didnt like the constant 2 pages per episode of stupid elf humour...*sigh*
BLASPHEMY! It's all Puck you know. If it weren't for him, Guts wouldn't be around anymore... :puck:

Now it is a hawk, does it mean anything, is guts view of Griffith changing?

I don't think so, that Guts "sees" flashes of various representations of Griffith doesn't mean his view of him has changed. Furthermore the images are animal representations of both Griffith and Guts, so the use of the hawk seems more appropriate given the context of the page.

hanafubuku said:
O Crap! Everyone is going to die again! And we will have to wait a really long time to read it!
I know people say history repeats itself, but I have hope that the results will be different this time, if this ever happens.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dylec said:
I know people say history repeats itself, but I have hope that the results will be different this time, if this ever happens.

I doubt Guts' companions will die in such a way. Sure, the Beast was threatening but it's nothing more than that. Is this even anything new? Guts already assaulted Casca in the past, and he tried to kill his friends while wearing the armor too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I wasn't talking about my personal wishes. :void:
Lol, wow, I had no idea you had it in for Serpico. I do think he's destined to die, though. It'd be sooo tragic :judo: .... :ganishka:

Does Roderick still not realize the role Serpico plays in Farnese' life? Wonder how he'll react when he learns of Serpico's affections..

PS: I foresee another duel :guts:

Top Bottom