Half Life: The Orange Box

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well because it is...coming out next week I was wondering if any of yous guys are gonna get the game? And if you are for what platform? Also if you are getting it for 360 like me, here is my gamertag: Omega Tom Hanks. Dont be shy play with me!

Another one of my October games as mentioned in the Zelda thread. I have Half Life 2 already but my PC can only play it at 60-70% of "threshold" and thus I never felt encouraged to beat it once I found Orange Box was coming on consoles and thus decided to get the 360 version. Depending how my online sessions hold up with a friend on Halo 3, I'll see about playing you sometime. If it doesn't turn out good than in general I have no reason to play online.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good deal, I've thought about getting it. Probably not right now though, but I'd like to give Portal and TF2 a try, not to mention Episode 2.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well my copy has shipped and might be in my hands as early as tomorrow. woo! :serpico:

Now I just need someone to help me beat halo 3 on legendary (tsavo and covenant left to do) so I can wrap up that part of the campaign. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well my copy has shipped and might be in my hands as early as tomorrow. woo!

Now I just need someone to help me beat halo 3 on legendary (tsavo and covenant left to do) so I can wrap up that part of the campaign.
Damn, wow it's already that time? Awesome. I need better computer parts still... :judo: Anyone here playing TF2? I know 2 of my good friends are, and they're raving about it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Anyone here playing TF2? I know 2 of my good friends are, and they're raving about it.

I've heard nothing but good things, but since I got it on the 360 and not through steam I wasn't in the beta (can't wait to play).

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Walter said:
Wow, even for an FPS? Are you mad?

Well see I like to sit my ass down on a couch + tv and play FPS or any video games, not on a computer chair in front of a monitor. Plus I like the game pad more than keyboard and mouse. But I will give credit to were its due PC is the place to go for RTS's, gamepads just dont work. Anyways I do miss my counterstrike, one thing I whish they would of added to Orange Box - CS Source.

Omega Tom Hanks said:
Well see I like to sit my ass down on a couch + tv and play FPS or any video games, not on a computer chair in front of a monitor. Plus I like the game pad more than keyboard and mouse.

Well it all sounds pretty half arsed to me.

Personally I'll be all over this one. As my system currently sucks arse, I haven't really played any games for a fair while. The last game I played in this set was Half Life 2.
I'll be upgrading to a quadcore the day after exams. I need to be patient just a little longer.

CnC

Ad Oculos
yea I'm not delusional enough to consider the gamepad superior to mouse and keyboard for FPS's, but I do like gaming on the TV.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Its all personal preference, yeah the mouse is more accurate than the gamepad, but the gamepad wont give you arthritis in the hands as easy as a keyboard and mouse will, and the gamepad for me is more comfortable to use. Plus a couch and big HDTV beat out a monitor and computer chair anyday.

One more day..........damn you EA games and gamestop

CnC

Ad Oculos
Omega Tom Hanks said:
One more day..........damn you EA games and gamestop

I wouldn't really blame EA in this instance, as I've got my copy right now. Gonna fire it up later tonight. Later! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I wouldn't really blame EA in this instance, as I've got my copy right now. Gonna fire it up later tonight. Later! :troll:
Lol, LATA SUCKAAAS! I'm truly envious... of you and your high-performance computer.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Lol, LATA SUCKAAAS! I'm truly envious... of you and your high-performance computer.

Well I got my copy for the 360. I'm holding off on games for my PC (which really isn't all that high performance) until I can partition it better to not clutter it up with non work-related stuff.

p.s. LATA SUCKAAAS!

berserker88

The Raging Demon
What a SUCKASS I can see you right now on my dashboard playing it. Well you can go fuck yourself CnC, cause Ill have it by tomorrow. And your ass better play me in some Portal or TF2

CnC

Ad Oculos
I figured I'd check out Half Life 2 first and see what was different before jumping into the new stuff outright. They've definitely added HDR lighting, so outdoor environments look very nice. Also I've noticed they've updated the models/textures on Alex and the Vortigaunts in particular. It's amazing how well a 3 year old game has held up.
I think I'll play the game through Episode 1 (I've played them enough, shouldn't take TOO long :badbone: ) to try and get the full experience.

Gotta say, tho. Controls on the gamepad are very tricky to get used when I've played this game on PC before. Simple things like picking up objects (which since require you to take your thumb off the aim stick and press X) feel clumsy at first. However once you get the gravity gun everything seems to click. Now interacting with objects is a breeze.
Weapon switching being relegated to the d-pad works well when you only have 4 or so weapons, but since I know I'm about to get a whole lot more I'm sure thats going to be a problem later on. Honestly tho, I don't how they could have fixed this. The best implementation of multiple weapons for a console shooter I've seen was done in Bioshock, so I was hoping they would have done something similar here.

Having played this and Halo back to back you realize just how twitch the PC shooter has become. Valve did the best they could and while the controls are damn good, they're no where near the control you would get on a PC. What used to be the simple act of turning and shooting a civil protection officer in the head has become quite a challenge (at first, I'm getting better). While I find the idea of a guy who can run 30mph while carrying around 15 weapons, spin on a dime and shoot someone in the head in a quarter of a second unlikely I suppose the idea of a space marine who never breaks the pace of a morning jog even while being chased down by a 2 story tall spider robot equally unlikely.

Still, I'm having a great time with it so far.

Omega Tom Hanks said:
What a SUCKASS I can see you right now on my dashboard playing it. Well you can go fuck yourself CnC, cause Ill have it by tomorrow. And your ass better play me in some Portal or TF2

I don't think Portal is multi-player.

Edit:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/15297

Meet the demo man. He's a black, scottish, cyclops. I love these.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
oh man, thats just as good as heavy weapons guy. Are they going to make a video for each of the types?

[edit] The second interview that Aaz posted says yes, yes they will.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
An interview of Gabe Newell about various stuff (including the Orange Box) that I found interesting:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7422&Itemid=61

But man, he's not being tender with the PS3... He's on a roll it seems, after having dissed Apple 2 weeks ago.

Well, beyond the PS3 mudslinging I found the bits about Intel and processors very interesting.

But I can definitely see why 3rd party developers wouldn't like the Ps3. Since nowadays you almost have to be multi-platform to survive as a 3rd party the proprietary nature of building for the PS3 has got to be annoying. But honestly, that's been Sony's strategy since day 1. They throw as many formats at the wall as possible and when something sticks they make billions.
I don't see them opening up anytime soon and that seems to go against what Valve likes to do (hell almost half the stuff in the Orange Box is a result of a mod community).

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Orange Box is amazing, good time for FPS fans, never played Half Life 2 so this is a completely new experience for me and damn Half life 2 almost being 4 years old already, still looks beautiful. I already beat Portal and the song and the end is priceless, I hope the gun shows up in some future Half Life along with Adrian Shepard. Anyways back to playing Half Life 2...............Question, do they ever explain why the Xen aliens are teaming up with us resistant dudes? Don't tell me why just tell me if they ever explain it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Omega Tom Hanks said:
question, do they ever explain why the Xen aliens are teaming up with us resistant dudes? don't tell me why just tell me if they ever explain it?
Yes, I believe it's first said in HL 1 though. But I remember it clearly being stated in HL2 why. They're called Vortigaunts, btw =)

Top Bottom