Fracture - TERRAN DEFORMATION! TERRAN DEFORMATION!! TERRAN DEFORMATION!!!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
TERRAN DEFORMATION!!!
OMG I'M CUMMING!!!!

yahoo! said:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1224631

George Lucas' Fracture takes battle games to a new level with "terrain deformation."

Well, this isn't my usual forte, but I saw this on yahoo, didn't see a subject for it in the search, and figured one of our tech demo lovers would eventually make a thread telling us about the next best thing since the last best thing, so I'm beating them to the punch and asking... uhh, is this that thing, or does anyone really care? I think I've seen it mentioned in other threads before.

I already love the advertising of this, from yahoo acting like George Lucas actually has something to do with it, to calling the infomercial here a documentary, to the crap about WE GOT THE GUY FROM [INSERT MILITARY MOVIE/TV SHOW POPULAR AMONG MALES AGES 18-49] HERE!!!

Anyway, enlighten me in this thread, which has a has a half-decent chance of one day hosting our next big embarrassing flame war; and I'll be proud to say I got the ball rolling. =)

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I'm more or less underwhelmed. I guess its a cool concept, but throwing grenades that raise and lower terrain just doesn't sound that exciting to me. I suppose I'm more interested in the realistic applications, which are for the most part being taken care of by destructive environments. Though I guess large explosions can now dent the ground and if you gave a guy a shovel and enough time he could get some serious landscaping done.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's a nice physics trick, but it's not all that impressive, and you can see its limits in the video already. Some objects are unmovable, the terrain moves in ridiculous ways and the magic grenades that do it look ridiculous overpowered. Bullets can destroy the terrain like it's just a pile of dust too. And there seems to be basically 2 different actions possible: create a shockwave that'll move the ground around (along with the objects that are planned to be movable that way), or create a stone column. I think that'd get old in one afternoon.

I watched the video at work without the sound so I might have missed something, but somehow I feel it's not the case. The main problem here I think is how they're using their engine. Terrain deformation isn't enough of a concept to make a game solely based on it in my opinion (I'm assuming that it's what they're doing here, tell me if I'm wrong), or at least, not to make a great one.

But hey, it's a nice effort, that combined with all the other advances in physics for games, will one day result in something awesome. Though, that particular, proprietary technology will likely not do much more than give others ideas.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I think its a cool concept but what about just the plain old ability of say, throw a grenade at someone while they are on a bridge and if you throw enough over time, the bridge collapses? I think things like that would ad a better game play. A little bit more realism for a fictional game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I think its a cool concept but what about just the plain old ability of say, throw a grenade at someone while they are on a bridge and if you throw enough over time, the bridge collapses? I think things like that would ad a better game play. A little bit more realism for a fictional game.

Yeah, that would account for a much better gameplay design in every way. Like Scorpio mentioned, destroyable environments are more interesting to see and play with in the end.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"THE IDEA OF TERRAIN DEFORMATION IS BRILLIANT." - Bill Ward

This looks ridiculous. Looks like you'll be throwing lots of grenades.

ps: Jesus they really like using this term in the video dont they?
pps: The shot of the "expert" with the NERF gun broke me down.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
This looks ridiculous. The shot of the "expert" with the NERF gun broke me down.

Oh yeah, this killed me too. How do they expect people to take that kind of stuff seriously?

CnC

Ad Oculos
It's that physics game all over again. Anyone remember the name of that? Thought not...

These gimmic games pop up all over the place and never really revolutionize anything, imo. Not to mention games like Red Faction claimed the deliver this exact same thing years ago. It's like we're trapped in this terrain deformation cycle where people forget about it then think of it again, touting it as the next big thing.

Anyways my money is on that it sucks.

btw, awesome video griff. Some great quotes in there.
"Here at Lucasarts we really wanted to work with Day 1 Studios. And when they pitched the idea of a futuristic civil war with genetics and cybernetics- that hook really got us interested".

...really? Thats what did it?

OMG I saw the trailer for this awhile ago. What a whack-attack this is gonna turn out to be. :schierke: Big Pass. I just thought about the multiplayer on this. *cringes*

Top Bottom