Author Topic: Movies to look forward to  (Read 366012 times)

Offline Rhombaad

• Old Fart in Training
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss

Offline HawaiianStallion

Re: Movies to look forward to
« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2008, 02:54:16 AM »
For you guys posting about Where the Wild Things Are movie, you should know that this movie has been finished for a while and the studio behind it has been mulling whether to scrap everything Spike Jonze did and redo the enitre thing. From a lot of early reviews a lot of people where not very impressed and many stated outright that it was pure garbage. Im not sure if this is true because some early viewers did happen to enjoy it, however the studio is wondering whether to just scrap it and start fresh.

Offline The Perineum Falcon

• Slightly Green, all Ranemaka
  • Of the Vortex
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »
For you guys posting about Where the Wild Things Are movie, you should know that this movie has been finished for a while and the studio behind it has been mulling whether to scrap everything Spike Jonze did and redo the enitre thing. From a lot of early reviews a lot of people where not very impressed and many stated outright that it was pure garbage. Im not sure if this is true because some early viewers did happen to enjoy it, however the studio is wondering whether to just scrap it and start fresh.

Yeah, I know. I've heard. It's pretty fucking stupid if they do that. They're basically complaining that they got an "art-house kid flick," but what did they expect with Spike Jonze?! The tone of just the test footage was wonderful and seemed spot-on to me. i can only imagine what the actual film would be like. He has final cut, so hopefully that'll give him some serious weight to pull, but WB could just fire him and do it any way and totally ruin everything.

You know it's what they want to do.

Word.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:41:39 PM by The Perineum Falcon »
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2008, 12:56:54 AM »
Double post extravagenza!!!!

So, everyone's become acquainted with the news of Akira's live action adaptation, now see the work of the man behind it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MfNyfwwfV4

(not really extravagent, but i thought i'd hype it up a bit)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2008, 01:12:16 AM »
Double post extravagenza!!!!

So, everyone's become acquainted with the news of Akira's live action adaptation, now see the work of the man behind it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MfNyfwwfV4

(not really extravagent, but i thought i'd hype it up a bit)

I really liked those visuals.  A very good short film!  There might be hope for a live action Akira afterall.
I'm sick of following my dreams.  I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later...
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2008, 10:40:10 AM »
Well, that was nice, but there's still the problem of Akira itself being a very difficult story to adapt. I'm pretty sure they'll butcher it.

Offline Sparnage

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »
Just heard the news. Not sure what to make of it.

Regardless of being westernised in itself which is a concern, the fact that Dicaprio in particular is doing it may bother a lot of people, but not me. The cunt can act really well, and unlike many actors who become huge in Hollywood he generally makes good choices on what movies to work on.
I might not enjoy every one of his movies, but I don't recall seeing any that have left me feeling embarrassed for him. Can't say the same for several others.

More noticably a pro than a con, Katsuhiro Otomo is a executive producer. They generally have more funding rights than creative ones, but given it's him I'm sure he will have a degree of creative control.

What bothered me most is how americanised they intend on making it. I suppose it's natural, if Hollywood want to produce it it would be very difficult and not in their interests to make it in Japan. Even so, no matter how many times I read this it doesn't get any easier. I'm sure most Akira fans would agree.

The first live-action film is scheduled for release in the summer of 2009 and will move the story's setting to "'New Manhattan,' a city rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

New Manhattan.... yeeeeah. Maybe the should just change the title to Alex or Albert as well.

On the bright side, when the movies are finally released, the cult following of the Akira anime and manga will probably skyrocket for a few months, and Otomo will be able to enjoy a new wave of royalties.

Offline White Hawk

• Of the Interstice
  • The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »
Leonardo Di Caprio ain't that bad as an actor, I actually stopped hating him after Catch Me If You Can, but his acting style and forehead is high enough only for Tetsuo, if they make him Kaneda there's no hope for humanity.
Sometimes the wings of fallen dragons refuse to give up the sky.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »
DiCaprio really isn't the most worrying thing about this movie. I'd rather have him in the role than some random loser.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »
Only thing that concerns me is how "western" are they going to make this? 
I'm sick of following my dreams.  I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later...
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Vampire_Hunter_Bob

• SK.net Sergeant at Arms
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Only thing that concerns me is how "western" are they going to make this? 

Slightly better then the Ring and Grudge, but still below everyones standards.

Offline pippin22

• Secretary of Misinformation
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »
It's going to be two movies?

That short film was pretty cool.  I'm kind of excited about this!  Imagine if it actually turned out awesome.  I'd be sooo happy.

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2008, 12:40:40 AM »
A few words on Be Kind, Rewind:

This movie was absurd. It fell flat. It was disappointing. I'm saddened. I was hoping by reading all the poor-ish reviews I'd have nowhere to go but up, instead it simply met the lowered expectations.

The end credits were the most inventive thing in the movie and the only aspect that truly worked for me, except for the last scene over all. It had its moments, but they weren't common enough.

Boo-hoo.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2008, 09:18:18 PM »
Well I finally saw No Country.  Man, I was disappointed.  I think it's mainly because I let the hype get too far ahead of my expectations.

It was a good movie, but in my opinion was a lesser Fargo.  The performances carried a far weaker plot.  I believe I can see what the Coen brothers were going for but I wouldn't have minded a little more substantial resolution.  Best Picture, it certainly was not (but still good).
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
I think you have to have read Cormac McCarthy (anything he's done, really) to truly appreciate what the Coen's did with No Country. I personally thought it was deserving of the Best Picture award - given it was among the only three new movies I saw all year.  :guts:

BTW, wouldn't No Country For Old Men be more of "Something to look forward to ... on DVD" ?
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2008, 09:28:03 PM »
Maybe, maybe.  I think it really was a situation where I went in expecting "Wow" and I got "Good".

BTW, wouldn't No Country For Old Men be more of "Something to look forward to ... on DVD" ?

I say rent it.  :guts:
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Kunoichi

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
I've known about the Akira remake for a while now, but what I'm wondering is who they blackmailed to get the rights for it. Countless disposeable J-horror flicks, sure, I can live with that. This, however, is a downright travesty. Do they have the rights to GITS too? Is every fucking popular thing that's ever come out of Japan gonna be remade by Hollywood by 2020?

Has anyone seen the Speed Racer trailer? I thought I was gonna have a damn seizure!

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2008, 02:16:34 AM »
Has anyone seen the Speed Racer trailer? I thought I was gonna have a damn seizure!

Asian-man got MATTHEW FOX'D!

Hilariously (and predictably) the younger people in my office think that trailer is TOTALLY AWE-SUMMMM. Have I mentioned how much I hate living in Tennessee?
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2008, 03:55:40 AM »
 :ganishka:

what a terrible face

Offline HawaiianStallion

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2008, 04:43:46 AM »
No Country for Old Men, like There Will be Blood, was never really intending to tell a traditional story with a beginning, middle, and end. It was more about interpertation and ideas than simply getting the bad guy or saving the day. Chigurh isnt just some bad ass hitman with a scary prince valiant hair cut, he's supposed to be a living avatar of death and fate. So on and so forth. That's why I loved NCFOM.

Offline CnC

• Of the Abyss
  • Ad Oculos
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2008, 10:34:17 AM »
It was more about interpertation and ideas than simply getting the bad guy or saving the day. Chigurh isnt just some bad ass hitman with a scary prince valiant hair cut, he's supposed to be a living avatar of death and fate. So on and so forth. That's why I loved NCFOM.

Yea, I figured that out  :serpico:.  I'm saying that even on that level it was a disappointment, for me.
- R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
CnColors!

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

Some stills from the future Watchmen movie. I have to admit that they look good, hopefully the rest will be as good. I don't think the guy playing Ozymandias really looks like him, though.

Offline Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2008, 01:34:07 PM »
It certainly looks more promising than THIS adaptation I found:

Lowers the bar nicely. :carcus:

Offline Oburi

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • All praise Grail
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »
Hilariously (and predictably) the younger people in my office think that trailer is TOTALLY AWE-SUMMMM. Have I mentioned how much I hate living in Tennessee?

Laugh! Same here only with Rhode Island, even worse!

Offline IcePuck

« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

Some stills from the future Watchmen movie. I have to admit that they look good, hopefully the rest will be as good. I don't think the guy playing Ozymandias really looks like him, though.

That's the first thing that caught my eye as well, I wish they didn't completely change the colour of his costume either- Everyone so far looks dark and grey.