Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:

Dear God no...

Griffith No More! said:
gilbertgrape_story2.jpg

"CANADA!!"

:ganishka: :ganishka: :ganishka: :ganishka: :ganishka:

For you guys posting about Where the Wild Things Are movie, you should know that this movie has been finished for a while and the studio behind it has been mulling whether to scrap everything Spike Jonze did and redo the enitre thing. From a lot of early reviews a lot of people where not very impressed and many stated outright that it was pure garbage. Im not sure if this is true because some early viewers did happen to enjoy it, however the studio is wondering whether to just scrap it and start fresh.

HawaiianStallion said:
For you guys posting about Where the Wild Things Are movie, you should know that this movie has been finished for a while and the studio behind it has been mulling whether to scrap everything Spike Jonze did and redo the enitre thing. From a lot of early reviews a lot of people where not very impressed and many stated outright that it was pure garbage. Im not sure if this is true because some early viewers did happen to enjoy it, however the studio is wondering whether to just scrap it and start fresh.

Yeah, I know. I've heard. It's pretty fucking stupid if they do that. They're basically complaining that they got an "art-house kid flick," but what did they expect with Spike Jonze?! The tone of just the test footage was wonderful and seemed spot-on to me. i can only imagine what the actual film would be like. He has final cut, so hopefully that'll give him some serious weight to pull, but WB could just fire him and do it any way and totally ruin everything.

You know it's what they want to do.

Word.

Double post extravagenza!!!!

So, everyone's become acquainted with the news of Akira's live action adaptation, now see the work of the man behind it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MfNyfwwfV4

(not really extravagent, but i thought i'd hype it up a bit)

CnC

Ad Oculos
The Perineum Falcon said:
Double post extravagenza!!!!

So, everyone's become acquainted with the news of Akira's live action adaptation, now see the work of the man behind it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MfNyfwwfV4

(not really extravagent, but i thought i'd hype it up a bit)

I really liked those visuals. A very good short film! There might be hope for a live action Akira afterall.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that was nice, but there's still the problem of Akira itself being a very difficult story to adapt. I'm pretty sure they'll butcher it.

Just heard the news. Not sure what to make of it.

Regardless of being westernised in itself which is a concern, the fact that Dicaprio in particular is doing it may bother a lot of people, but not me. The cunt can act really well, and unlike many actors who become huge in Hollywood he generally makes good choices on what movies to work on.
I might not enjoy every one of his movies, but I don't recall seeing any that have left me feeling embarrassed for him. Can't say the same for several others.

More noticably a pro than a con, Katsuhiro Otomo is a executive producer. They generally have more funding rights than creative ones, but given it's him I'm sure he will have a degree of creative control.

What bothered me most is how americanised they intend on making it. I suppose it's natural, if Hollywood want to produce it it would be very difficult and not in their interests to make it in Japan. Even so, no matter how many times I read this it doesn't get any easier. I'm sure most Akira fans would agree.

The first live-action film is scheduled for release in the summer of 2009 and will move the story's setting to "'New Manhattan,' a city rebuilt after being destroyed 31 years ago.

New Manhattan.... yeeeeah. Maybe the should just change the title to Alex or Albert as well.

On the bright side, when the movies are finally released, the cult following of the Akira anime and manga will probably skyrocket for a few months, and Otomo will be able to enjoy a new wave of royalties.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Leonardo Di Caprio ain't that bad as an actor, I actually stopped hating him after Catch Me If You Can, but his acting style and forehead is high enough only for Tetsuo, if they make him Kaneda there's no hope for humanity.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DiCaprio really isn't the most worrying thing about this movie. I'd rather have him in the role than some random loser.

It's going to be two movies?

That short film was pretty cool. I'm kind of excited about this! Imagine if it actually turned out awesome. I'd be sooo happy.

A few words on Be Kind, Rewind:

This movie was absurd. It fell flat. It was disappointing. I'm saddened. I was hoping by reading all the poor-ish reviews I'd have nowhere to go but up, instead it simply met the lowered expectations.

The end credits were the most inventive thing in the movie and the only aspect that truly worked for me, except for the last scene over all. It had its moments, but they weren't common enough.

Boo-hoo.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I finally saw No Country. Man, I was disappointed. I think it's mainly because I let the hype get too far ahead of my expectations.

It was a good movie, but in my opinion was a lesser Fargo. The performances carried a far weaker plot. I believe I can see what the Coen brothers were going for but I wouldn't have minded a little more substantial resolution. Best Picture, it certainly was not (but still good).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think you have to have read Cormac McCarthy (anything he's done, really) to truly appreciate what the Coen's did with No Country. I personally thought it was deserving of the Best Picture award - given it was among the only three new movies I saw all year. :guts:

BTW, wouldn't No Country For Old Men be more of "Something to look forward to ... on DVD" ?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Maybe, maybe. I think it really was a situation where I went in expecting "Wow" and I got "Good".

Walter said:
BTW, wouldn't No Country For Old Men be more of "Something to look forward to ... on DVD" ?

I say rent it. :guts:

I've known about the Akira remake for a while now, but what I'm wondering is who they blackmailed to get the rights for it. Countless disposeable J-horror flicks, sure, I can live with that. This, however, is a downright travesty. Do they have the rights to GITS too? Is every fucking popular thing that's ever come out of Japan gonna be remade by Hollywood by 2020?

Has anyone seen the Speed Racer trailer? I thought I was gonna have a damn seizure!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kunoichi said:
Has anyone seen the Speed Racer trailer? I thought I was gonna have a damn seizure!
gospeed.jpg

Asian-man got MATTHEW FOX'D!

Hilariously (and predictably) the younger people in my office think that trailer is TOTALLY AWE-SUMMMM. Have I mentioned how much I hate living in Tennessee?

No Country for Old Men, like There Will be Blood, was never really intending to tell a traditional story with a beginning, middle, and end. It was more about interpertation and ideas than simply getting the bad guy or saving the day. Chigurh isnt just some bad ass hitman with a scary prince valiant hair cut, he's supposed to be a living avatar of death and fate. So on and so forth. That's why I loved NCFOM.

CnC

Ad Oculos
HawaiianStallion said:
It was more about interpertation and ideas than simply getting the bad guy or saving the day. Chigurh isnt just some bad ass hitman with a scary prince valiant hair cut, he's supposed to be a living avatar of death and fate. So on and so forth. That's why I loved NCFOM.

Yea, I figured that out :serpico:. I'm saying that even on that level it was a disappointment, for me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It certainly looks more promising than THIS adaptation I found:

watchmenposter.jpg

Lowers the bar nicely. :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Hilariously (and predictably) the younger people in my office think that trailer is TOTALLY AWE-SUMMMM. Have I mentioned how much I hate living in Tennessee?

Laugh! Same here only with Rhode Island, even worse!

Aazealh said:
http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/

Some stills from the future Watchmen movie. I have to admit that they look good, hopefully the rest will be as good. I don't think the guy playing Ozymandias really looks like him, though.

That's the first thing that caught my eye as well, I wish they didn't completely change the colour of his costume either- Everyone so far looks dark and grey.

Top Bottom