Movies to look forward to

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
toolkid2112 said:
i dont see how they could do berserk as a movie its not even finished. they could go as far as the anime but most people would be like wtf the movie ends with a chick getting raped. it would need more than one movie like star wars

Even unfinished there's still plenty of material for several movies, though I wouldn't put it past hollywood to try to cover it in a one-shot or make up a side story, which could only achieve one outcome- bloody awful.

Anyway, the article only mentioned that the Bebop movie might open the doors for other anime flicks would could possibly-eventually-maybe lead to a Berserk movie. It definitely isn't saying one is currently in the works or is even really being thought about.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Scorpio said:
Even unfinished there's still plenty of material for several movies, though I wouldn't put it past hollywood to try to cover it in a one-shot or make up a side story, which could only achieve one outcome- bloody awful.

Anyway, the article only mentioned that the Bebop movie might open the doors for other anime flicks would could possibly-eventually-maybe lead to a Berserk movie. It definitely isn't saying one is currently in the works or is even really being thought about.

Yeah, but let's all collectively hope that the Dragonball movie doesn't lock those doors tight with heavy deadbolts.

im going to see dragonball but i doubt itll be insanley good. im surprised at its budget of 100 million. wanted was like 80 million and that was a pretty bad ass movie

Guts intestines

toolkid2112 said:
im going to see dragonball but i doubt itll be insanley good. im surprised at its budget of 100 million. wanted was like 80 million and that was a pretty bad ass movie

Wow, one hundred million, still James Marsters as Piccolo= fail.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Lets all hope the Dragonball and Cowboy Bebop movie fail so bad that it ruins the careers of everyone involved. So no one in their right mind will ever think about doing a live action Berserk movie. :miura:

Keanu Reeves as Spike? Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, if it ends up that way someone needs to pay with blood. I'm not even a rabid Bebop fanboy, but that's such a retarded casting.

Oburi said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

The Fall. This is supposed to be amazing. THe dvd arrives sept. 9th. From what I've read it's supposed to be breathtaking!
This played just last week here, and I had (and took) the chance to see it.

It was, indeed, visually breathtaking.
It's all the more impressive when you consider that there was very little CGI used (Thank Christ), and that it was filmed in 18 different countries and funded by Tarsem.
The Cell was his first (and only 'til now) film, and while the success of the plot is questionable (it's been quite a while since I've seen it, so it's no fair to judge in such distant hindsight) the cinematography was something to be remembered. And The Fall in that respect is no different.
The story/plot for this, I believe, is much stronger than The Cell and reminded me a bit of Pan's Labyrinth, for some reason. Perhaps it was the tying in of strong fantasy sequences with reality, and that I really just wanted to avoid comparing it to Big Fish (though it is, admittedly, more similar).

Overall, I enjoyed it and definitely think that it's just one of those films that should be seen on the big screen in order to be fully appreciated.

And the montage at the end is the best thing ever.

I watched Mongol today. And I loved it. Tadanobu Asano did a great job. In fact, all the actors did a good job. The choreography was quite intense for the first half of the movie. Near the end of the movie, things went a little downhill.. battle realism wise, but not enough to really bother me.
Bonus points for the beautiful scenic shots. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Brainiac and Bizarro are being considered for possible villains.

What the fuck, Bizarro? How could they make it any serious to the general public?

Oburi said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

The Fall. This is supposed to be amazing. THe dvd arrives sept. 9th. From what I've read it's supposed to be breathtaking!

Sounds interesting at the very least.

The Perineum Falcon said:
This played just last week here, and I had (and took) the chance to see it.

*review

Man, now I'm excited.

Guts intestines

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Lets all hope the Dragonball and Cowboy Bebop movie fail so bad that it ruins the careers of everyone involved. So no one in their right mind will ever think about doing a live action Berserk movie. :miura:
I agree, but there is one guy I'd trust to atleast do a dignified attempt of a Berserk movie. I think if Peter Jackson got a hold of it, it would have a chance to be a success.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I really hope a Berserk movie is never made. Hollywood would destroy it, regardless of the director. Why can't people just enjoy it as a manga? It's perfect the way it is. I might be interested in an anime OVA if it's well done, but whether one is made or not doesn't really matter much, as I like the manga just fine.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I really hope a Berserk movie is never made. Hollywood would destroy it, regardless of the director. Why can't people just enjoy it as a manga? It's perfect the way it is. I might be interested in an anime OVA if it's well done, but whether one is made or not doesn't really matter much, as I like the manga just fine.
Hear, hear. This is what I've been saying for years.

Guts intestines

Aazealh said:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Oburi said:
Yea I don't think so.

Awww, come on guys. He would give the most complete experience of anyone else I can think of, it would be like a 4hr movie, and a Berserk live action movie is a bad idea to start with, but there has to be atleast one director who could do a good job.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:

Yea Berserk is perfect as manga. It's really the only way a story this long with this many arcs can work besides actual books. Although some anime, like Bleach, is pushing the limits of how long an anime t.v. series can go. Berserk wouldn't work though, it's much too graphic I think. As far as an OVA that could be awsome if the production was quality like in the rurouni kenshin ova's trust & betrayal, which still hold up after several years as being one of the best ova's ever. I get the chills just imagining a berserk ova. They could do one of the lost children chapter seeing as how it's short and does not require to much explanation as to who Griffith is etc. I vote for an OVA covering the lost children chapters!

- Maybe this shouldn't be discussed in the movies to look foward too section?

If they ever *did* do another animated bit, like an OVA - I'd really hope they do Lost Children. It's such a great story arc, self contained and effective.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
He would give the most complete experience of anyone else I can think of

Sorry but I don't think that's a very convincing argument. And I wasn't overwhelmed by his LotR movies, just so you know.

Guts' intestines said:
there has to be atleast one director who could do a good job.

Really? Why is that? Why does there have to be one? The way I see it, if the media isn't appropriate then nothing will make it right.

Oburi said:
They could do one of the lost children chapter

There's only one Lost Children chapter.

Oburi said:
Maybe this shouldn't be discussed in the movies to look foward too section?

Yeah it isn't the right place for it. But really, this sort of discussion never goes anywhere so it doesn't matter much. There's a giant thread in Speculation Nation about it. It's ugly to look at.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
There's only one Lost Children chapter.

I meant they could do one (an ova) of the lost children chapter. Sorry I know I word things backwords sometimes. But I know there is only one chapter. You've made that clear in the past. :guts:

and back to something of substance: ;)

images from the film adaptation of The Road

Haven't even read the book, but I'm totally jazz-crazy about it.

roadx-large.jpg

'The Road' is fiction, but the bleak scenery is real
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

Imagining the end of the world is not easy, especially if you're not going to create one with a computer. But director John Hillcoat and filmmakers of The Road believe they discovered it in Pittsburgh.

"It's a beautiful place in fall with the colors changing," Hillcoat says. "But in winter, it can be very bleak. There are city blocks that are abandoned. The woods can be brutal. We didn't want to go the CGI world."

"We wanted the heightened reality in the book."

That book is Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winner of the same name. It's about a father and son who navigate a countryside devastated by an unnamed catastrophe.

The film, which stars Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron and 11-year-old Kodi Smit-McPhee, also was shot in Katrina-ravaged New Orleans and on Mount St. Helens in Washington state for scenes of devastation.

But most of the film was shot in and around Pittsburgh.

Hillcoat found abandoned coal fields, a deserted amusement park and an 8-mile stretch of closed freeway as locations.

"It's tangible, the misery and hopelessness and the bleakness," Mortensen says. "It gives you much more to work with if you're filming in that world instead of a green screen.

"You have to bring a story to life in a movie in a way you don't have to in a book — even a book as powerful as that."

But Mortensen says that, like the book, the film adaptation is more than bleak imagery.

"I spoke with Cormac before we started shooting," he says. "I think what's made this story so universally loved is because it's really about protecting your child, no matter what the circumstances.

"At its core, it's a love story."

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nice Find! Wow this looks great. Viggo Mortensen, Guy Pearce and Charlize Theron. Can't go wrong with that cast. 8 mile stretch of abandoned highway, i'd love to see that. Can't wait for this. Thanks for adding one more to the list.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/ How about Marky Wahlberg as Max Pain! rated...pg-13?

Guts intestines

Aazealh said:
Sorry but I don't think that's a very convincing argument. And I wasn't overwhelmed by his LotR movies, just so you know.

Really? Why is that? Why does there have to be one? The way I see it, if the media isn't appropriate then nothing will make it right

I really like the LotR movies, which is why I'm biased towards his directing, and I agree if the media isn't right then nothing will make it so. That's why I said if anyone was to do a movie and atleast make a dignified attempt it be him, simply because of the time he puts on his movies, he had sooo much production time on the Lord of the Rings that it really make you appreciate the work he put in to bring the world to life. Honestly, he used as much of the original source material for the Lord of the Rings as anybody could, besides moving the Shelob fight, I can't really think of anything else that was changed. If any part of Berserk was made into a movie, you would want the director to keep as much of the original work as possible, because that's what hooked us, the movie would need to shift the way we feel about the manga just into a 3-D form.

Can this be done? Probably not, Berserk is just so long that it would be impossible to please fans such as us, who would want as much of the minute details as could possibly fit. If I could see into the future and found out that the Berserk movie would be good and something that even hardcore fans of Berserk could like, I'd be all for, but since I can't any attempt by just about anybody would be met with trepidation. However, if Jackson got a hold of it I'd be a little less fearful.

Top Bottom