Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Though this is totally beside the point, Hook and Jurassic Park, even though good, definitely are worse than Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Actually that's debatable (both movies rely heavily on the twist at the end, and I doubt any of them will be remembered in 10 years like Jurassic Park is today), but you might want to re-read my post and see that I wasn't comparing Hook and Jurassic Park to Shyamalan's so-called masterpieces but to his future "sell out" projects.

Deci said:
Understand I wasn't comparing Shyamalan and Spielberg's movies, I was comparing their decline in quality.

Didn't you love Lady in the Water, Shyamalan's second to latest movie?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
This needs to stop before it gets further out of hand, it's just too ridiculous. We're comparing arguably the most storied director in cinema history to a one hit wonder. I don't care how minuscule or superficial the comparison, it's just bad.

"Man, Right Said Fred kinda reminds me of The Beatles at the end of their career!"

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Actually that's debatable (both movies rely heavily on the twist at the end, and I doubt any of them will be remembered in 10 years like Jurassic Park is today)

Irrelevant imo.

Aazealh said:
I wasn't comparing Hook and Jurassic Park to Shyamalan's so-called masterpieces but to his future "sell out" projects.

I know what you were comparing them to,I just found it funny that you used Hook and Jurassic Park as possible gems of Speilberg. Those movies just weren't that great. Apparently a couple of Shyamalan's early movies were better than Spielberg's.

Aazealh said:

Yeah I enjoyed it. :D

Griffith

Deci said:
I know what you were comparing them to,I just found it funny that you used Hook and Jurassic Park as possible gems of Speilberg. Those movies just weren't that great. Apparently a couple of Shyamalan's early movies were better than Spielberg's.

And Spielberg's made not just more good, but all-time classic, movies than Shyamalan's even made total movies. I don't see where you're going with this. The point is you're comparing apples to oranges, or diamonds to glass in this case. Even comparing their "declines" is specious, Spielberg made Schindler's List just after Hook and Jurassic park. Some decline, he made the most commercially successful and most the critically successful films of the same year. Even his recent stuff is better than Shyamalan's work.

Also, Jurassic Park is a greater achievement than either of Shyamalan's "classics." Sixth Sense and Unbreakable aren't exactly fine art house cinema themselves, and certainly don't equal Jurassic Park's overall filmmaking achievements.

Even Shyamalan's ego would agree with me. Please, stop the insanity, I feel dirty just for participating in this nerdy slapfight. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Irrelevant imo.

Well that's just your opinion, but it's still quite debatable in many ways. Your personal criteria for judging movie quality aren't universal.

Deci said:
I know what you were comparing them to.I just found it funny that you used Hook and Jurassic Park as possible gems of Speilberg. Those movies just weren't that great.

No, I don't think you know, otherwise you'd understand that I specifically mentioned Spielberg movies that could be called his biggest sell out projects (with Schindler's List as a hint that maybe the decline in quality isn't as consistent as you think, since it was made shortly after). Wasn't that your whole point in the first place, that Shyamalan was selling out like Spielberg did? When did he "sell out" more than with Hook and Jurassic Park? And really, it's not like the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are fantastic movies. They're not too bad but I'd watch Jurassic Park over them any day. Griff's right, the comparison's just not working here. Shyamalan's been overrated since The Sixth Sense, but I think his time for glory is behind him already. Spielberg's been around since 1959. Where will Shyamalan be in 40 years?

Griffith

Aazealh said:
And really, it's not like the Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are fantastic movies. They're not too bad but I'd watch Jurassic Park over them any day.

Any night I'd pick Sixth Sense or Unbreakable though, the pacing would help me get to sleep. =)

I don't even think this is a matter of opinion, I know what Deci means metaphorically, but it's a terrible comparison in that even Spielberg's worst is better and more ambitious than M. Night's best.

MountEverest.jpg
vs.
molehill300x199.jpg

Compare away!

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Seriously Deci. Quit sugar coating your words and just go out and say it. You know, the whole "OMFG SHYAMALAN'S DA SHIT! TeH BEST IN Da World" ordeal. Attacking a director for being a "Sell out" it's just a poor argument period. And of all things, Spielberg? I'd say do some homework and learn how movie making POLICIES are into play. But I'll give you a little hand here ok? Movies tagged by the quote "A Steven Spielberg Film" vs. "Directed by Steven Spielberg" is one of them that you might wanna pay a closer look at. Know this, if Disney decides to offer your precious Shyamalan the same amount of mula that Spielberg gets. I assure you that Little Mermaid 3 will follow with a pretty Shyamalan name right after it. You follow?

Griffith

I don't want to think that about Deci or Shyamalan. :ganishka:

Anyway, to be fair, I do understand what he meant, and being confronted about it like so escalated his point beyond what he was originally saying.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I do get his point as well. It's just that I don't think Shyamalan's got much potential left in him. I think the next few movies he'll make will really be determinant in finding out whether he can take a fresh start or will fall into mediocrity.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I do get his point as well. It's just that I don't think Shyamalan's got much potential left in him. I think the next few movies he'll make will really be determinant in finding out whether he can take a fresh start or will fall into mediocrity.

Yeah, I expect absolutely zero out of the guy going forward, so it wouldn't take much for him to impress me at this point.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, I expect absolutely zero out of the guy going forward, so it wouldn't take much for him to impress me at this point.

It would be more than enough if he just gets the pace of his stories right. Seriously, whenever i watch these looong pauses inbetween the various takes, i get a feeling that there's something that was willingly omitted from his movies. At that times i'm very much on edge, waiting for some silly bollywood dance acts to spring into action.
Thankfully, they have yet to come. :chomp:

I particularly like that one statement he gave during an interview when asked about a common misconception about him: "That all my movies have twist endings, or that they're all scary. All my movies are spiritual and all have an emotional perspective."

Yeah, right...spiritual. "I can see dead people", huh?

I don't think it's fair to say the man is incapable of making as good film. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath here. But who knows where inspiration may spring from for him. I personally dislike his films but I think it boils down to a matter if taste. Even if he's inspired others to one day create in the future, then god bless I suppose.
When I think about it, making 1 movie is an accomplishment in and of itself.

But I won't lie, every time I see his name pop in the previews I say out loud, "Wonder what kinda fucked up ending this one'll have." Because for me that's all his movies are to me; an entire set up to one mind-fuck at the end.

A

avidwriter

I thought this was a topic about movies that didn't come out yet? Seems it got a little off track.

I can't seem to think of the next movie I'd go see in the theatre since summer is over and nothing looks interesting till probably next year.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
avidwriter said:
Seems it got a little off track.

Yeah I think that's my fault. Anyways I'm still looking forward to both The Spirit and Punisher War Zone.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/thespirit/ The Spirit looks a little too over stylised in the second trailer and is Samuel L Jackson wearing a Nazi uniform? Why does that not seem right?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/punisherwarzone/ At least this time I might get the gruesome Punisher movie I've been waiting for. Either way this can't be nearly as bad as the 2004 movie.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea man The Spirit looks badass. Me an my friend just watched the trailer last night and were blown away. I also watched an interview with Sam Jackson and Jamie King and they both seemed really excited and passionate about the project. Their enthusiasm made me excited

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/thespirit/ The Spirit looks a little too over stylised in the second trailer and is Samuel L Jackson wearing a Nazi uniform? Why does that not seem right?

But... but... Why isn't the Octopus just staying in the shadows with only his gloves shown? Samuel L. Jackson looks ridiculous shooting machine guns in that second trailer. The film looks cool aesthetically speaking but I'm not going to see it with the way they're treating the villain.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/punisherwarzone/ At least this time I might get the gruesome Punisher movie I've been waiting for. Either way this can't be nearly as bad as the 2004 movie.

Mmmh yeah I'm torn on this one. Don't really know what to think anymore after all the shit that's come out.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
But... but... Why isn't the Octopus just staying in the shadows with only his gloves shown? Samuel L. Jackson looks ridiculous shooting machine guns in that second trailer. The film looks cool aesthetically speaking but I'm not going to see it with the way they're treating the villain.

Samuel L Jackson looks like some sort of weird transvestite in this movie. Much like you said everything else looks good.

Mmmh yeah I'm torn on this one. Don't really know what to think anymore after all the shit that's come out.

Yeah, the last one they tried to make was terrible. Hell that last movie barely was a Punisher movie. It took place in florida, was entirely too sunny and non-violent. The only thing making it a Punisher movie was just the skull on his shirt.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Aazealh said:
Actually that's debatable (both movies rely heavily on the twist at the end, and I doubt any of them will be remembered in 10 years like Jurassic Park is today), but you might want to re-read my post and see that I wasn't comparing Hook and Jurassic Park to Shyamalan's so-called masterpieces but to his future "sell out" projects.

I will agree with the idea that Shymalan's movies are not that great (I loved signs however, but only for the first 2 times I saw it.) but the Sixth Sense has been out for almost a decade now, so do you mean another ten years from now?

EDIT: I posted this without reading all the way down, so now I feel like an ass for taking this right back off track so I'll add that I've heard that Tobey Maguire is coming back as Spiderman, that there will be a separate venom movie and that the director of the Spidey films is working on two movies, one the next Spiderman film and the other possibly being the aforementioned Venom flick.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
that there will be a separate venom movie and that the director of the Spidey films is working on two movies, one the next Spiderman film and the other possibly being the aforementioned Venom flick.
Sounds like BS. From what I remember around the release of the third movie, Raimi reportedly didn't even want to include Venom, but did so out of pressure from fans, studio etc. Why would he then take on a full-on Venom project?

Good to hear that Tobey will apparently be back on track. It really wouldn't be the same without him on board.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
I will agree with the idea that Shymalan's movies are not that great (I loved signs however, but only for the first 2 times I saw it.) but the Sixth Sense has been out for almost a decade now, so do you mean another ten years from now?

Yeah, because Jurassic Park's from 1993, so I meant after an equally long time had passed. I seemed to remember The Sixth Sense being a little more recent than 1999 though, so make that 6 years instead I guess.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Walter said:
Sounds like BS. From what I remember around the release of the third movie, Raimi reportedly didn't even want to include Venom, but did so out of pressure from fans, studio etc. Why would he then take on a full-on Venom project?

Good to hear that Tobey will apparently be back on track. It really wouldn't be the same without him on board.

http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/07/sony-moves-forward-on-venom

So according to this it seems that Marvel wants to do one thing, while Sony wants to have another but has the rights to any movies made. That I find to be pretty messed up since Spiderman and Venom are both Marvel owned characters. It is trying to do what X-men origins is supposed to do for X-men but instead for Spiderman, basically revitalized the movie franchise.

Some of my friends got on me for this before but I'll just throw it out there: we all know Topher Grace was a horrible Eddie Brock and an even worse Venom, but how about Jason Statham as Eddie Brock and Venom. I'm mentally preparing to get flamed but I think its a good idea so let fly.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Guts' intestines said:
Some of my friends got on me for this before but I'll just throw it out there: we all know Topher Grace was a horrible Eddie Brock and an even worse Venom, but how about Jason Statham as Eddie Brock and Venom. I'm mentally preparing to get flamed but I think its a good idea so let fly.

Anyone would have been a better Eddie Brock then Topher Greace. He didn't have eddies build or really come off as venom.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Sooo... don 't mean to start a fire here on this one. But this was on E news this past weekend, and frankly, IF this is true, it will be fun follow through. Granted, some of us have read the whole LOTR gossip and news going around, but for the sake of this thread, let's just stick to this links news.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jan/31/news3

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of old news on the rumor mill, cool that it's confirmed. I've always enjoyed The Hobbit far more than LOTR, so I look forward to this, because it doesn't take itself so goddamned seriously.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Nomad said:
Sooo... don 't mean to start a fire here on this one. But this was on E news this past weekend, and frankly, IF this is true, it will be fun follow through. Granted, some of us have read the whole LOTR gossip and news going around, but for the sake of this thread, let's just stick to this links news.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jan/31/news3

This is great news. Can't wait to see Del Toros take on TLOTR fantasy world.

Top Bottom