Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
I also saw it last night. Overall I was underwhelmed, and felt Elizabeth Banks ruined the whole movie because she couldn't convey a realistic emotion in any of the major scenes. Seth Rogan felt out of place, even though the role was written for him. After we got back, we watched the original Clerks and wondered at how the mighty have fallen... so far. I give it a 6/10.

Well yea I deff agree that Smith has lost all originality. His latest string of movies are just horrible compared to Clerks and Chasing Amy. Zach and Miri wasn't a bad movie, just bad by Kevin Smiths standereds...from 91-94.

Speaking of Kevin Smith, his weight seems to be all he can speak about:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/10/kevin-smith-say.html

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/eo/20081111/122642340000.html
Awesome :schierke:

On a different note:
I don't think this trailer was posted .. was it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_bNDv0-ZrU
or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhTuCOGM1Z4

I think it looks interesting, especially Gort :isidro:

I bought Kevin Smith new DVD of stand up stories. "Kevin Smith: Sold out"

Although I enjoyed it and gross as it was, he talks a lot about his penis, his ass, his wieght, and yet he does have some good stories of his strange encounters over the years. (All with his mom, wife and kids in the auidence.)

But definitely, its kinda way too much info on his body and health.

The Perineum Falcon said:
New Watchmen trailer.

This movie will take twice as long because it is ALL IN SLOWMOTION.

Looks like it will suffer the same pit-falls as 300. Too bad. Hopefully they won't add a bunch of lame scenes that were never in the original comic this time.

aufond said:
Looks like it will suffer the same pit-falls as 300. Too bad. Hopefully they won't add a bunch of lame scenes that were never in the original comic this time.

... I thought 300 was awesome. Though I never read the original graphic novel. Imo it's just a matter of compromising between what works on paper and what works on the screen. Which is fine.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Apparently they're not going with the ending found in the graphic novel: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081107k.php

As long as the movie is a good one, I'll be happy. I know there are probably going to be some major differences found throughout, including the ending, but that's to be expected.
I agree, but my issue with Snyder is that in this interview, he refers to that original ending being a "problem" he had to deal with. Sounds like HE has the problem, not Watchmen :puck:

Walter said:
I agree, but my issue with Snyder is that in this interview, he refers to that original ending being a "problem" he had to deal with. Sounds like HE has the problem, not Watchmen :puck:

Quite probable. It may be best to watch the movie with the underlying thought, "This is not Watchman, it's just inspired by it."
>_<

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:

I can see why he said that,
what with the giant "extraterrestrial" squid,
but if the content of Watchmen bothers him that much in its transition to film, maybe someone else should have made it. Like you said, it's Snyder that has the problem, not Watchmen.

Ramen4ever said:
It may be best to watch the movie with the underlying thought, "This is not Watchman, it's just inspired by it." >_<

Exactly. The graphic novel will still be here long after the film is forgotten.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
aufond said:

And 300 wasn't even that great. Definitely not one of Miller's best works. Yet they managed to ruin it by adding stupid shit. And now they're going to ruin Watchmen, arguably the crowning jewel of US-UK graphic novels.

Ramen4ever said:
... I thought 300 was awesome. Though I never read the original graphic novel. Imo it's just a matter of compromising between what works on paper and what works on the screen. Which is fine.

If you haven't even read the original then don't talk about the quality of the adaptation and what would have worked or not.

Walter said:

"What they should be up in arms about are things like shooting the pregnant woman, 'God is real and he's American', whether THAT's in the movie. That's my point of view, maybe I'm crazy."

Ah so I can't be pissed about changing the unique original ending to simple boring nukes because they're keeping the pregnant woman? Am I supposed to be thankful or something? :schierke:

Ramen4ever said:
Quite probable. It may be best to watch the movie with the underlying thought, "This is not Watchman, it's just inspired by it."
>_<

Yeah, that's a must for every adaptation as far as I'm concerned. Still, I'm not very hopeful, even for an "inspired by" movie.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Ah so I can't be pissed about changing the unique original ending to simple boring nukes because they're keeping the pregnant woman? Am I supposed to be thankful or something? :schierke:

Yeah, especially considering the point is exactly that it NOT involve nukes, and I also don't see how changing the ending doesn't change the rest of the plot as well, though I must admit I'm not using my imagination or giving them the benefit of the doubt at this point. But c'mon, fuck the story, they had to preserve all that hardcore shit so you'd go "woooh this is not a comic book movie." Because God forbid they do that, Watchmen, if anything, certainly isn't about comic books! Anyway, if you just sit back and accept anything offered to you in stupid awe, you'll have a great time. =)

BTW, what's this BS about the new ending and Dr. Manhattan; is he going to bend over and take a hundred foot dump on New York now? I think that'd be a fitting metaphor for a new ending. *PFFFFFFRRRRRRRRTTTTTT* *PLOP* The End

Oh, and so as not to be completely negative, I liked the trailer and am still looking forward to it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Oh, and so as not to be completely negative, I liked the trailer and am still looking forward to it.
Yeah, even despite this complete horseshit, I was thinking the same after watching the trailer again. I'll definitely be seeing this. And while I know I'll ultimately be disappointed, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the ride TO dissapointment.  :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
BTW, what's this BS about the new ending and Dr. Manhattan; is he going to bend over and take a hundred foot dump on New York now? I think that'd be a fitting metaphor for a new ending. *PFFFFFFRRRRRRRRTTTTTT* *PLOP* The End

Yeah, what's this talk about his special power or energy or whatever? Is he going to be the "bad guy" now instead of failing to stop it from happening? My, I just can't wait for this movie.

Aazealh said:
If you haven't even read the original then don't talk about the quality of the adaptation and what would have worked or not.

Your entitled to your opinion. I still think it was one of the better movies of 2006. And it's only common sense that a comic will not transfer to the screen perfectly. That goes for just about any adaption from one medium to another. Anyone who expects otherwise is deluding themselves.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Your entitled to your opinion.

And you're not entitled to talk about stuff you don't know about. You don't know what the changes were so why even pretend you have something relevant to say about it? Whether you liked the movie or not isn't the point.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Ramen4ever said:
And it's only common sense that a comic will not transfer to the screen perfectly. That goes for just about any adaption from one medium to another.

I always loved the adaptation of The Maxx though. That was faithful as hell and imo it came out great.

On the other end of the spectrum we have Tank Girl. Much like you and The 300, I do like the Tank Girl movie quite a lot... It's dumb and fun and I have a crush on Lori Petty... but if you've ever laid eyes on the Tank Girl comics you know that, as an adaptation, the movie is complete and utter balls.

Top Bottom