Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
They might as well adapt this one (as movie/game/whatever)

Watchmenbabies.png
lol, wow, I've never seen that before. The Simpsons rule :ganishka:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Ramen4ever said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WNPb8R-40

Uhhh... was that Star Trek? :troll:

Oh, i'm quite certain that hardcore fans WILL already be dusting off their "canon clubs" over this little trailer. But then again, i'm all for artistic freedoms as long as it doesn't break apart the legacy of TOS and the very charming original crew too much.
Star Trek does need dome fresh wind to revitalize the franchise (not like they did with "Enterprise" though, that was a semi horrible approach).I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of a doubt, simply because this could lead to a new tv show. Television without Star Trek (and i don't mean reruns) is just not right.^^

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Ramen4ever said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nx0laRWdZI

Wow that actually looks awesome :isidro:

Not bad. But the "real" Goku powers up for about 58 minutes in the anime, and about 2 pages in the manga on average! That movie is just such an epic fail!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:

Watchmenbabies.png

Walter said:
lol, wow, I've never seen that before. The Simpsons rule :ganishka:

NightCrawler said:
It features Alan Moore in that episode, go watch it.

The scene:

http://theilldiablo.multiply.com/video/item/32/THE_SIMPSONS_featuring_Alan_Moore_Art_Spiegelman_Dan_Clowes

:guts:

X

Xem

You guys joke around about Goku powering up, but check out the latest supposedly official screenshot from the movie:

ape1112.jpg

Btw, the trailer was supposed to show before Max Payne, which I went to see and did not see a trailer for it. I've read somewhere that the movie is being largely re-shot. Has anyone seen an "official" trailer for this dump yet? Like in the theater, on a big name website, or on TV?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I just don't understand. Theres no good reason to change it, except for maybe he feels it wouldn't appeal to a mainstream audience? If they want to sell out, why even make a Watchmen movie? Make something new and generic instead of shitting all over well-loved graphic novels.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Deci said:
You guys joke around about Goku powering up, but check out the latest supposedly official screenshot from the movie:

I never really understood why directors think that it's a good idea to stray completely from the original work. I mean, wouldn't it be best to stick as closely as possible to the original? Who were they trying to address with this flick again? Ultimately, that movie will be judged by fans of Dragonball and not cinematic enthusiasts. I'm all for artistic freedom, but not if it takes a huge crap on other peoples work.

Well, as it stands, the only foreign movie adaption of popular media originating from Japan, that i have truly enjoyed so far, would be Silent Hill. That's an almost perfect example of how an adaption should look like.
I fear that the Dragonball movie will end up in the same league as that outrageous Mario Bros. pile of dung!

X

Xem

SimplyEd said:
I never really understood why directors think that it's a good idea to stray completely from the original work. I mean, wouldn't it be best to stick as closely as possible to the original? Who were they trying to address with this flick again? Ultimately, that movie will be judged by fans of Dragonball and not cinematic enthusiasts. I'm all for artistic freedom, but not if it takes a huge crap on other peoples work.

Well, as it stands, the only foreign movie adaption of popular media originating from Japan, that i have truly enjoyed so far, would be Silent Hill. That's an almost perfect example of how an adaption should look like.
I fear that the Dragonball movie will end up in the same league as that outrageous Mario Bros. pile of dung!

I posted something earlier where the makers said they weren't aiming the movie at the existing fans, but to younger audiences or something like that. I agree with you though, I mean look at Sin City, that's a perfect example of staying truthful to the original and being a huge success.

There's a reason these stories are such huge successes, changing anything about them just doesn't make sense. Especially in the sense of comic books, since they're basically storyboards for movies already. Just post huge frames directly from the comic book and you already have your camera angles, costume designs, facial expressions, and much more already laid out for you.

From IMDB trivia:

When asked in an interview with ReelzChannel.com about original 'Watchmen' writer Alan Moore's dismissal of his movie, Snyder was quoted as saying "Worst case scenario - Alan puts the movie on his DVD player on a cold Sunday in London and watches and says, 'Yeah, that doesn't suck too bad.'" When this was brought up with Moore himself in a later interview in the British Tripwire comics fanzine, the writer commented "That's the worst case scenario? I think he's underestimated what the worst case scenario would be... that's never going to happen in my DVD player in 'London' [Moore very famously lives in Northampton]. I'm never going to watch this fucking thing."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
aufond said:
"That's the worst case scenario? I think he's underestimated what the worst case scenario would be... that's never going to happen in my DVD player in 'London' [Moore very famously lives in Northampton]. I'm never going to watch this fucking thing."
Just made my fucking day. Thanks for finding this gem. :ganishka:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The problem with DragonBall is the approach. They wanted it to be all dark and edgy like most movies based on comic books/games/cartoons/everything else.
Speed Racer did it right.

NightCrawler said:
The problem with DragonBall is the approach.

The problem with Dragonball is that it is exactly the type of story that doesn't work well on the big screen. There are simply too many explosions and fighting that's supposed to be faster then the human eye and etc etc etc. It works well as a manga or anime. but that's about it. In fact doesn't even work that well as an anime since the "charging up" usually took over an entire episode.

What would transfer well to the big screen is something like Black Lagoon. And Cowboy Bebop although I hope that never goes through. >_<

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
aufond said:
Snyder was quoted as saying "Worst case scenario - Alan puts the movie on his DVD player on a cold Sunday in London and watches and says, 'Yeah, that doesn't suck too bad.'"

Seriously, that Snyder dude should really sort out his act. I mean, he's obviously no longer in touch with the prospects of his work, nor does he seem to partake in what normal people would consider reality. I think it's a bit early for him to be sporting such an overinflated illusion of grandeur of himself. But then again, he does seem to fit into that modern batch of directors with an unhealthy "suck my ego" attitude.

[quote author=Ramen4ever]And Cowboy Bebop although I hope that never goes through.[/quote]

Yeah, i wholeheartedly agree with you there, although that would mean that "i" will never get my breakthrough on the big screen. Ed is sad... :guts:

NightCrawler said:

Watchmenbabies.png

I would seriously pay to see that made into a film, BTW the new trailer for Watchmen looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure Alan Moore continues to be negative about his comics being made into films.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
I'm pretty sure Alan Moore continues to be negative about his comics being made into films.
A contributing factor here may be that they've so far all been complete and utter manure. Or do you want to stand up and defend the awesome realization from comics to movies that was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Walter said:
A contributing factor here may be that they've so far all been complete and utter manure. Or do you want to stand up and defend the awesome realization from comics to movies that was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

That movie was amazing!! :schierke:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Ramen4ever said:

Oh, Sean Connery delivered a solid performance in a movie that's amazingly not "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

Geez, Alan Moore really deserves a bit of light at the end of the cinematic tunnel, no?

Ramen4ever said:

It wasn't bad, Neither were From Hell & V for Vendetta. But I think Alan Moore has to realise not every single "Movie based off the certain adaptation" has to be 100% loyal to the product. Look at how Transformers, Spiderman, Blade, Hellboy, Batman & Ironman turned out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
I'm pretty sure Alan Moore continues to be negative about his comics being made into films.

And for a good reason. Those people fucking rape his work.

Ramen4ever said:

You should read the original graphic novel, it's really great if you can catch all the references thrown into it. The movie's a joke of course, just like Watchmen will be.

Skullgrin140 said:
It wasn't bad

It was quite bad.

Skullgrin140 said:
But I think Alan Moore has to realise not every single "Movie based off the certain adaptation" has to be 100% loyal to the product. Look at how Transformers, Spiderman, Blade, Hellboy, Batman & Ironman turned out.

You're obviously not aware of the many events that led Alan Moore to be bitter about those movies, so instead of laying out your ignorance for us to see I suggest you keep your mouth shut. Oh and nice job comparing Watchmen, From Hell or V for Vendetta to Transformers and Blade.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
And for a good reason. Those people fucking rape his work.

Truly! But just for the record, i would actually, really like to know how Christophe Gans would have handled a Watchmen adaption. Like i mentioned before, he has shown the ability to stick quite close to the original work and not piss off most of the target audience. I mean, he said himself that his Silent Hill movie was a definite tribute to the fans of the games. Of course, i'm not that naive to actually believe that something like a perfect adaption could ever be achieved. Not with so many egos and "visions" bluring the original intentions of a given author.

Top Bottom