Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Still waiting for "Zorro Reborn" myself. I liked its former title better (Zorro 2010).

The synopsis: "Almost 300 years into the future in a post-apocalyptic San Diego, a masked and caped stranger wielding dual samurai swords rides out of the desert to take his revenge the tyrant who slaughtered his family."

PS: This conversation really should be in the "Movies to Dread" thread.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
avidwriter said:
I read Watchmen when I heard that the movie was being made. I didn't like it. I'm didn't like what I would call "filler". I'm sure there is a meaning to the pirate comic and all the boring banter of that news stand seller guy but I could care less for all of it. There was more but its been a few months since I read it.

I will tell you this: a lot of people did NOT enjoy the book the first time.  Upon reading it more than once, you'll find that the story and characters are THAT much better.

New trailer... I think. Major spoilers though.
Terminator Salvation trailer two, plus some comments, facts, etc.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/need-to-know-terminator-salvation.html#watch

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127180/

Sam Raimi's new movie. I guess he's going back to the horror genre before doing spider man again. I can't tell if it will be scary/funny or just scary...or just funny. I guess I'll have to wait for the trailer.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Oburi said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127180/

Sam Raimi's new movie. I guess he's going back to the horror genre before doing spider man again. I can't tell if it will be scary/funny or just scary...or just funny. I guess I'll have to wait for the trailer.

A loan officer (Lohman) ordered to evict an old woman from her home finds herself the recipient of a supernatural curse

Sounds to me like the situation from foreclosures around the U.S. Supernatural curse? when are curses natural? But if you are looking foward to it, good enough for me

I'm looking for this one http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809867825/info It say on limited release hopefully I find a theatre close to where I live.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Latest Terminator and Star Trek trailers look good.

Star Trek

The opening speech sounds right out of LOST, Jack's dad might as well be saying it. Anyway, Bana steals this one and suddenly makes the villain intriguing, the weakest link where my interest was concerned before.

Terminator Salvation

Wow, finally McG has forced me to take his Terminator movie seriously with this effective little music video; which might mean it's peaking too soon, better to cash in on low expectations later.

After all, this only means the trailers are good. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Terminator Salvation

Wow, finally McG has forced me to take his Terminator movie seriously with this effective little music video; which might mean it's peaking too soon, better to cash in on low expectations later.
Yeah I had a strong feeling this movie would have gone in the OTHER thread, but I saw that trailer before Watchmen, and it was the highlight of the night. It's not that it looks AWESOME, it's that it doesn't look as predictable and unambitious as Terminator 3.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Yeah I had a strong feeling this movie would have gone in the OTHER thread, but I saw that trailer before Watchmen, and it was the highlight of the night. It's not that it looks AWESOME, it's that it doesn't look as predictable and unambitious as Terminator 3.

Agreed. A Terminator not realizing it's a Terminator is a pretty neat idea. But like Griffith said, all we have to go on is the trailer, so we'll have to just wait and see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Agreed. A Terminator not realizing it's a Terminator is a pretty neat idea. But like Griffith said, all we have to go on is the trailer, so we'll have to just wait and see.

I'm surprisingly looking forward to T4 myself since that article someone posted a while ago. The story taking place in the future is what gives it so much potential. Something bothers me about the pseudo-human robot though: how come is he so human if he's an earlier model? The story is supposed to be taking place as John Connor starts the rebellion, right? 11 years before the future shown in the first movie. But in the first 2 movies it's clear they made efforts to make the terminators look like machines imitating humans and not just actors pretending to be robots. They were imperfect. But this new guy is apparently a flawless copy and doesn't even know that he's a robot himself. It's a bit puzzling, but I imagine they have an explanation for it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling this movie will need its own thread too =).

Aazealh said:
Something bothers me about the pseudo-human robot though: how come is he so human if he's an earlier model? The story is supposed to be taking place as John Connor starts the rebellion, right? 11 years before the future shown in the first movie. But in the first 2 movies it's clear they made efforts to make the terminators look like machines imitating humans and not just actors pretending to be robots.
But I think since John Connor prefaces the trailer with: "Something has changed" in the future, then they don't necessarily have to fall in line with the development timeline of models established by previous Terminator movies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
But I think since John Connor prefaces the trailer with: "Something has changed" in the future, then they don't necessarily have to fall in line with the development timeline of models established by previous Terminator movies.

Hmm, so the future has changed and things are happening differently then? Yeah, that's probably how it is. Seems a little too convenient, but as long as the movie's entertaining I guess it's alright. :SK:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
While all this Termiantor talk is going on I wanted to mention I saw Coraline last week. Good movie. That is all.

I wanted to see that actually, the trailer looked fun.

Also, while I've never been interested in Star Trek in any way whatsoever (I've never seen an episode), that trailer does look cool. I wonder what the hardcore fans think of it, out of curiosity.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
I wanted to see that actually, the trailer looked fun.

It really is. Out of the two movies I saw last week Coraline was easily the best of the two. I really did wish I could have watched it in 3d, from what I could see it wasn't gimmicky 3d, but just to help bring you that much more into the movie 3d.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea I saw Coraline opening night in 3d. It was pretty amazing, not just the 3d but the visuals in the film itself are beautiful. As for T4, I do think it looks cool and I don't really mind how they changed the vision of the future, if that's what their doing. But I'll admit, the clips of the future that James Cameron shot for the old movies were pretty badass too. If i remember correctly they were huge battles on the destroyed remains of playgrounds and were always at night. This one seems to be taking place in a desert type of wastland from the nuclear war, makes sense.

And as for Star Trek, I'm in the same boat as Aaz. I've never seen an episode or movie and never cared for anything Star Trek related, but the preview has me interested. I think this what the series needs to keep up with todays crowd. Not sure how older fans will like it because just from the trailer I can see some steamy sex scenes, Spock and the captain fist fighting each other and ... is that Shaun from Shaun of the Dead..and the asian dude from Harold and Kumar? It looks like it will be fun though and a friend of mine who is really into star trek is going to let me borrow all the old movies, so I'll give it a shot.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I really did wish I could have watched it in 3d.

The 3D wasn't in your face annoying. It was tastefully done and very well executed. Especially when Coraline crawls through the trippy hallway and into the other world. You feel like you're getting sucked in. Really cool to see.

As for Terminator 4: After 3, I'm so jaded. Here's one reason why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O-QqC9yM28
But after seeing the most recent trailer, it's really hard not to be crossing my fingers this one does the series the justice it's been aching for since T2.

NIN. Interesting choice, IMO.

I'm not sure about what 'future' this takes place. After they blew up Cyberdyne in T2, the future was altered. Hence T3, and Judgement Day not being avoided only delayed...yada yada. But I can buy the whole future being slightly off kilter. So as for what the hell is what anymore...idk.

I think this movie does need it's own thread. Then we can get down and dirty with wtf is going on.

P.S. The T-800's still look so damn cool after 20+ years.
P.S. again: The Terminator Soundtrack is extremely hard to find and pretty pricey, anyone around these parts own it?

Piping in on Star Trek.

While I was never like a fanatical fan or anything, I spent a good portion of my childhood growing up watching Star Trek with my dad (The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 mostly) including all the movies. While I really enjoyed Star Trek, I feel like they just ran out of creative juices. It's almost like The Next Generation was so good that it pretty much trumped every other show to come out after it. They just couldn't match how well everything clicked in that show. That, at least for me, was pretty much what killed most other series for me. I just couldn't get in to Enterprise or Voyager.

Looking at this movie preview though, it looks good to me. The original series, if you watch some of the older episodes, are pretty ridiculous in general. There was barely an episode where Kirk didn't get in a fist fight or make out with some random woman he'd find on his adventures. No matter where they went, there was some sort of action going on; in contrast to TNG where there were a lot more 'thinky' type episodes. One example is how Picard in TNG rarely ever left the ship because he was... the captain... versus Kirk gallivanting around the galaxy every chance he got. If you take that into consideration, I wouldn't say the new Star Trek movie is really even going that far off kilter with it's action approach, and the visuals alone make people at least take notice of the movie, which I can only see as good.

Star Trek had written itself into a wall and if this somehow pulls them out of the black hole spiral that the franchise has been heading for over the last decade, then I'm probably all for it. That said, I'd prefere it if they didn't completely reboot the franchise and continue pushing this crew as the original crew. Personally, I don't think the original series were bad enough or so out of touch to warrant a complete reboot and that's one thing I'm afraid that that's what they're trying to do. I want to look at this movie as more of an homage to the original.

Too much text... :chomp:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
P.S. The T-800's still look so damn cool after 20+ years.
P.S. again: The Terminator Soundtrack is extremely hard to find and pretty pricey, anyone around these parts own it?

Skeletons are badass man, so metal skeletons? Hell yeah. :badbone:

As for the soundtrack, it's apparently quite rare indeed. Don't have it myself.

CowTip said:
The original series, if you watch some of the older episodes, are pretty ridiculous in general. There was barely an episode where Kirk didn't get in a fist fight or make out with some random woman he'd find on his adventures.

Thanks for confirming that, it's pretty much how it's always looked to me. A little too old school for my taste when I was a kid. Being in love with the Mass Effect video game though I can't help but be curious about it now, since it was clearly a big inspiration for the game.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the Star Trek flick.
http://chud.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114822&page=4
- Kreepers got some pretty major spoilers there. Though I don't know if they're real.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Pretty predictable. I'm sure it will be: "The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make. Except for that bullshit in Terminator 3. That wasn't really canon though, if  you ask me." DUN DUN DUN-DUNDUN... DUN DUN DUN-DUNDUN.

In a link on the side of the page you listed, there's a blurb about a new Jack Ryan movie, with Sam Raimi at the helm.  :???:

According to this source, known only as Admiral Greer, Sam Raimi wants James Franco to play the lead role in his relaunch of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series. But also according to the source Paramount doesn't think Franco is the kind of boffo box office they want, so the producer and the studio are clashing over the casting. The source goes further to say that he thinks that Raimi is about to walk away from the Jack Ryan series because of this.
What a weird combination that would be... Everything is so STARK in the Clancy series' movies. I can't see how Raimi would fit his unique sense of humor and creativity in the drab world of government work.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Back to Star Trek...

I think it should be pointed out that while the original Star Trek had an old school rough and tumble edge, and that action, adventure and sex are in no way out of character with it, it was also one of the most intellectual and thought provoking shows of its time, if not ever on television, far more culturally significant than anything which preceded it. The show had great science fiction writers working on it, it was a true science fiction show, but it also dealt with challenging themes and issues of the day; world peace, world war, religion, sexism, racism, and equality of all kinds, it even featured the first interracial kiss in TV drama. It was also subject to heavy interference and censorship, but still one of the only shows I know that was recognized by Martin Luther King himself for its importance.

Top Bottom