Movies to look forward to

Walter said:
Lookin great. That first photo gave me a few seconds of goosebumps :beast:
I have to echo Wally's sentiments on the pics for the trailer.

This looks absolutely wonderful, and I've never been more excited for it.

And I also thought that the song was rather fitting; fitting of the tone, the overall style, etc.

(Oh, and Oburi, yes I was quite taken with Atonement as well. It was surprisingly as good as everyone said it was)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Everyone likes the freakin song, everyone dislikes Code Veronica, i have a hard life in this forum. :judo:

Cheer up guy, I don't like the song, I don't dislike Code Veronica, and I don't get the hype about Where the Wild Things Are.

By the way, considering the, abnormal, level of interest, this movie will probably need its own thread sooner or later. =)

Let's focus more on the song! :guts:

from VH1/Mtv:

By now, you've probably watched, rewatched, embedded, Tweeted, re-Tweeted, status-updated and texted about the trailer for Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are." The sneak peek debuted Wednesday on
"The Ellen DeGeneres Show" (!) and the Apple Movie Trailers site, then quickly made the rounds on every social-networking site known to mankind (and some that probably haven't even been invented yet).

For some, the mere appearance of the trailer was enough to send them into a tizzy. After all, the buzz surrounding Jonze's take on the Maurice Sendak children's classic has been, to use one word, troubling, with rumors of disastrous test screenings and reshoots. But what really stood out for others — and gave some the shivers — was the music in that trailer.

More specifically, the use of the Arcade Fire's rousing "Wake Up," from their 2004 album Funeral. For months, there have been rumors about the music that will be featured in "Wild Things," with some reports saying Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman Karen O created the film's soundtrack along with Deerhunter's Bradford Cox, something Cox would neither confirm nor deny when MTV News spoke to him last year.

Well, as it turns out, O's name is listed in the just-released "Wild Things" trailer, alongside musician Carter Burwell, who has scored all of Jonze's previous feature films as well as a little film you might have heard of called "Twilight." Under the "Music By" tag, Cox's name is nowhere to be seen.

But, more importantly, given that it's their song featured in the trailer, will the Arcade Fire's music also be featured in the film? Well, maybe. A spokesperson for the Fire told MTV News that he was reaching out to them for comment on "Wild Things" and their involvement with the film but had received no answer by press time. He did, however, confirm to MTV News that the version of "Wake Up" featured in the trailer was "a new version, re-recorded specifically for the film," so perhaps the band didn't just stop there.

But that's all just speculation at this point. Until we have some definite answers, why don't we all sit back and watch that trailer one more time.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ahh that's great. I hope Arcade Fire does the whole fucking soundtrack! :guts: I always thought their albums played out like a movie soundtrack anyway, this could be their chance! But it doesn't matter anyway you know Spike Jonze has great taste in music and I'll be pleased with w/e is featured in the film.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Moving on with the topic.

Mutant Chronicles

After watching clips of it and reading the snyopsis. I have to say I'm now interested in the movie and right now looking forward to it. So here you guys go.

In the year 2707, war rages between earth’s four giant corporations as they battle over the planet’s dwindling resources. In an era marked by warfare and social regression, the earth is on the verge of ruin, destruction is everywhere; battles explode on every ravaged continent. Amidst heavy combat, an errant shell shatters an ancient buried seal releasing a horrific mutant army from its eternal prison deep within the earth. As the mutant scourge threatens human extinction, a single squad of soldiers descends into the earth to fulfill the ages-old prophesy of the MUTANT CHRONICLES and save mankind.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/mutantchronicles/ Trailer and clips of the movie.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Moving on with the topic.

Mutant Chronicles

After watching clips of it and reading the snyopsis. I have to say I'm now interested in the movie and right now looking forward to it. So here you guys go.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/mutantchronicles/ Trailer and clips of the movie.

Really? I didn't like that trailer.

(500) Days of Summer

I'll be honest with you, I've nothing to hide or be ashamed of. The main reason I want to see this movie is because I wish that I were on that bus at 1:14. And I'm okay with that.
I mean, it looks like it could be a decent-if-not-actually-good movie--I'm sorry, I meant "indie film." ;)--but that's not the biggest draw for me.

Oh, and if you forgot what the name of the movie was during that trailer, it's (500) Days of Summer, which is Zooey's character's name, so it's fucking clever, get it? Summer's like, all fun, and then her name is Summer, too, so it's, all like, a double entendre and shit.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
NightCrawler said:
This one's for you Oburi :)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ec2dc47000/the-dirty-garage#player
Oh man, it's Juno 2. Oh wait, I mean Garden State 3

Griffith

Even Tommy can't save a not a love story about love. And yeah, that's when I closed the window. Pass. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Did anyone else hate Juno with a passion? It tried way to hard to be that " indie" film of the year, like Little Miss Sunshine the year before and Napoleon Dynamite a few years before that. I literally hated every minute of that film. The dialog was so fake, and by that I mean you could actually imagine the writer trying to come up with witty, "realistic" conversation. Maybe it's me but I thought it was so poorly written. The whole time I was thinking, "Nobody talks like this!!” And the lead actress didn't help either. The whole movie just tried way too hard, right down to the soundtrack, which pissed me off even though I would have normally like those songs. Juno was the most generic and unoriginal film I'd seen all year. And it won so many awards!! I forgot what the award show was called right now but it was on IFC. Anyone remember? It's like the academy awards for indie films, and I will never watch it again because it's no better than the academy awards in my eyes.

A

avidwriter

Oburi said:
And it won so many awards!!

Lots of "bad" movies win over the critits. This year it was Slum Dog. I never saw Juno and would never sit thru it as I will never see Slum Dog either. A movie with a dance number in it is auto fail in my book.

Im not sure if anyone here cares or not but one of my favorite animes as a teenager, Evangelion is getting redone by the company that animated it with new story bits added too. Here's the trailer for the second "feature" http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/official-trailer-arrives-for-neon-genesis-evangelion-2.0-you-can-not-advanc/

Some of the comments in the article are a little overboard. "This is widely considered the greatest piece of serialized anime and giant-robot science fiction for a very simple reason: it is. "

I think its actually a load of nonsense for the most part, but it was a special part of my childhood so I cant deny its alwys going to have a piece of me with it...

Griffith

Kalie Ma said:
I think its actually a load of nonsense for the most part, but it was a special part of my childhood so I cant deny its alwys going to have a piece of me with it...

I hear something, a sound swelling up from deep within my psyche... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgATlhZFAfs

Well, Evangelion certainly was a landmark anime series. The one strong criticism that's leveraged against it is that it has a hard time expressing metaphors and symbolism while maintaining its narrative. I suppose the new movies could fix that, but personally I liked the old series and the film just fine. I suppose the new movies might be worth checking out though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
Well, Evangelion certainly was a landmark anime series. The one strong criticism that's leveraged against it is that it has a hard time expressing metaphors and symbolism while maintaining its narrative. I suppose the new movies could fix that, but personally I liked the old series and the film just fine. I suppose the new movies might be worth checking out though.

My one strong criticism is that it's full of vacuous mumbo jumbo that's as superficial as it could possibly be and tries very hard to seem deep. That and the fact the main character is a despicable wimp. Other than that it's mostly a good show as far as anime goes, if you ignore how ridiculously overrated it is.

Aaz, Evangelion is not a traditional anime series. In many ways, it breaks the conventions of anime similar to the way Kubrick broke the conventions of film with 2001: A Space Odyssey. At its heart, Evangelion is not a science fiction series with philosophic, psychological and symbolic covering, it's actually the reverse. The reason why Evangelion exists was so Anno could "burn his feelings into film". What he did was take an idea and create a representation of himself and his feelings, then shape an entire fictional world around it. At the time Gainax commissioned just another "teen mecha" anime and Anno did not want to do it. He wanted to run away from it and not go through with the production because he felt "teen mecha" animes were superficial and meaningless, and he was suffering through a terrible depression.

This is why Shinji is being a "despicable wimp" who does not want to take control of the EVA-01 robot, but criticizing that is like criticizing Jake LaMotta (Raging Bull) for being a misogynistic, pathetic human being: the accusations may be true, but take away those negative personality traits and the reason for the work's existence ceases to be. As a double allegory Anno also depicts someone who's meant to reflect much of the series' main fan-base; fantasy obsessed viewers who retreat from reality to hide in the comfort of animes that give them attractive heroes and positive-based messages. In denying them that cheap positivity Anno is saying that "you can't run away" forever; and the only way to challenge them to wake-up is to not feed into their deluded fantasy dreams.

Evangelion may actually be the most relevant anime series that has ever been created.

Top Bottom