Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
Aaz, Evangelion is not a traditional anime series.

Stopped reading there. You're ridiculous. And just like with Lost, you actually try to explain things to people who not only understand them better than you do, but are also capable of going beyond just regurgitating what they read 10 years ago and discerning what actually is or isn't.

Anyway, this thread isn't about anime, so let's not start ruining it with a debate that was already tired in 1997. You think Eva is the best thing to have ever graced mankind? Good for you. Can't say I didn't see it coming, either.

Well, if you've already discussed it to death and don't think the series is that great we can move along. I'm not really in the mood to discuss Evangelion anyway. I simply disagreed with your comment is all. But yeah, this thread isn't for Anime.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
Well, if you've already discussed it to death and don't think the series is that great we can move along. I'm not really in the mood to discuss Evangelion anyway. I simply disagreed with your comment is all. But yeah, this thread isn't for Anime.

It's just not the thread for it. But other than that, really dude, the whole "it's so deep man it's Anno's therapy when he had a depression and there's all this meaningful stuff about the psychology of otakus and the biblical references are such deep metaphors" is terribly old and not much of an argument for anything. Just the same old shit from way back then, and I could tell before you posted that it'd be what you would say. That show is still overrated, and I still think its main character is whiny, annoying and generally uninteresting, and that there's nothing artistic or special about that. Not to mention all the other stuff, but really, let's just not get into that. Or then someone should make another thread. Like I said, I don't even think the show's particularly bad or anything, but sentences like "Evangelion may actually be the most relevant anime series that has ever been created" make me shake my head today just like they did when I first watched the show.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
My one strong criticism is that it's full of vacuous mumbo jumbo that's as superficial as it could possibly be and tries very hard to seem deep. That and the fact the main character is a despicable wimp. Other than that it's mostly a good show as far as anime goes, if you ignore how ridiculously overrated it is.

QFT.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:

Ditto.

A.C said:
As a double allegory Anno also depicts someone who's meant to reflect much of the series' main fan-base; fantasy obsessed viewers who retreat from reality to hide in the comfort of animes that give them attractive heroes and positive-based messages. In denying them that cheap positivity Anno is saying that "you can't run away" forever; and the only way to challenge them to wake-up is to not feed into their deluded fantasy dreams.

Evangelion may actually be the most relevant anime series that has ever been created.

It's certainly the most ironic. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think I might get some heat for bringing this up here...but I don't care.

Twilight... watched it last night and, to say the least, I enjoyed it. Not sure why either, it seems like the kind of movie I would hate, and I never planned on watching it, ever!!! But I watched the whole movie with complete, intense focus. The fact that I'm obsessed with the lead actress and think she's the most beautiful girl in the world may have helped me sit through the whole movie, which was more like a made for tv movie to be honest. But at the time I really enjoyed watching it, yet I have a feeling that over time I'll care less and less about it. I will admit it though, some scenes were so well shot and acted, I was surprised and very impressed with the young leads. The special effects were weak, there was vvery little action and almost no violence... yet it's still alright because it's a love story before anything else and it hit home for me... not sure why. I do love blood drinking, pale white skin, and of course the beautiful Kristen Stewart :idea:

I apologize in advance...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Not to sound rude...but how is this a movie to look forward to, since it's already out?
Maybe he's looking forward to the sequel, which comes out later this year?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:
Not to sound rude...but how is this a movie to look forward to, since it's already out?

Well it's a recommendation to anyone who hasn't seen it, so they can look forward to it. But I know what your saying and I already thought of that and this is the excuse I'm using since I didn't feel like posting a new thread for it.

I can't turn around without seeing something Twilight related. On the note of Eva, if FF7 is overrated, than Eva is overrated. Also, I loved Code Veronica. Now getting back on topic.

I have been seeing the Dragon Ball commercials and it looks pretty mediocre. I get the impression that its going to miss some of the core traits that made DB, and DBZ enjoyable.

Where the wild things are is really looking good. Dare I say Metallica has a song in reference to it by the same title, and its not that bad. It was on the Reload album I believe.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Death May Die said:
I have been seeing the Dragon Ball commercials and it looks pretty mediocre. I get the impression that its going to miss some of the core traits that made DB, and DBZ enjoyable.

That's why it was put in the movies to dread thread. Back to topic, it's getting closer for Star Trek :SK:

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1135092/

Any Jim Jarmusch fans? This looks great! It's got my man Gael García Bernal from Y tu mama tambien and the science of sleep.

Oburi said:

Any Jim Jarmusch fans? This looks great! It's got my man Gael García Bernal from Y tu mama tambien and the science of sleep.

Jim Jarmusch is one of my favorite writer/directors, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Although I'm not quite as fond of his recent works as I am of his older stuff (Dead Man, Down By Law, Stranger Than Paradise) If you haven't seen these do yourself a huge favor and check them out..

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oburi said:

I like him.
I've seen the trailer some time ago. It looked like garbage.

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
Jim Jarmusch is one of my favorite writer/directors, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Although I'm not quite as fond of his recent works as I am of his older stuff (Dead Man, Down By Law, Stranger Than Paradise) If you haven't seen these do yourself a huge favor and check them out..

Me too. I like Dead Man, Down by Law, Night On Earth, and Mystery Train in that order. His newer stuff is still good but just doesn't have that modest epicness of his old films.

I like him.
I've seen the trailer some time ago. It looked like garbage.

Garbage? The trailer was made deliberately to not give anything away, unlike other films that give away the entire plot or show you all the funniest scenes in that 2 minute trailer. I guess maybe it's not your type, but you really can't tell much from the preview, it does it's job of not lumping the film into any specific category, which is a good sign for a Jarmusch film. It means this might actually be not only hysterical but deeply moving and thought provoking as well (like Dead Man for example). I'm interested, to say the least.

Now THIS I wanna see!!

MoonPosterBig.jpg

Walter said:
So, is it a combination remake of both 2001 and Solaris? :troll:
Heheh, yeah maybe.

I'll be honest, that crossed my mind, but I like both those movies (the former is one of my favorite films, and I prefer the original Russian latter ;)), and this doesn't seem to be a cheap knockoff, either.

In fact, I haven't heard anything terrible about this movie and I think that poster is spectacular.

SOLD!

Excellent trailer and a welcome premise that we don't see enough of anymore (one we haven't seen since Danny Boyle's Sunshine). The inspirations are obvious, but it looks to be a worthy watch.

Here's another something, completely different (i imagine Griffy may like this one :carcus:)

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

At fourteen years old, best friends Lips and Robb Reiner made a pact to rock together forever. Their band Anvil, hailed as the “demi-gods of Canadian metal,” influenced a musical generation including Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax. Though Anvil never made it, they never stopped playing or believing. Following a calamitous European tour, Lips and Robb, now well into their fifties, set off to record their thirteenth album, “This is Thirteen,” in one last attempt to fulfill their boyhood dream.

Top Bottom