Movies to look forward to

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The Perineum Falcon said:
This is adding up to be a VERY good year:

Lars von Trier's newest, Antichrist :isidro:

Meh, i was expecting alot more from this. Anyway it's good to see somewhat bought Trier a tripod.
That last shot was great though.

You were expecting MORE from a trailer? :chomp:

Also, Trier's no stranger to well-composed, steadied films; he started out that way. Check out Europa and Element of a Crime. Trier's talent does not begin and end with Dogme 95.

NightCrawler

You were expecting MORE from a trailer? :chomp:

Also, Trier's no stranger to well-composed, steadied films; he started out that way. Check out Europa and Element of a Crime. Trier's talent does not begin and end with Dogme 95.

I was just joking ;)
I don't think he made more Dogme 95 films besides "The Idiots".
I said i was expecting more because the trailer was just a bunch of screaming and somewhat low-budget "look over there" horror stuff, and Dafoe's voice is too monotonous for narration.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't think anyone has mention this yet, I don't think it's in theaters but i know it isn't out on dvd yet so i'll bring it up here. Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. I heard it was suppose to be his last time acting in a film and I think it's a great way for him to end his acting career. Props to Eastwood for making this film and playing a character like this at his age. I wasn't exactly sure how I much I liked it until some of the final scenes, where the heart of the movie really hit me. And thats not to say there are not plenty of heartfelt scenes throughout.
When the girl came home after being beaten and raped by the gang for retribution after what Eastwoods character did (sorry, don't remember character names at the moment), I almost cried. One of Eastwoods best and most modest films. It has a similar feel to his Unforgiven, but then again many of his films share the same themes. Though this one did parallel Unforgiven in many ways (at least to me) the ending really adds a new twist.
One of his best films, IMO, and I prefer Mystic River, The Unforgiven, Pale Rider, The Outlaw Jose Wales and High Plains Drifter for films he's directed and/or written. Of course The Good The Bad and THe Ugly will always be his best, and one of my favorite films...ever.

NightCrawler said:
I don't think he made more Dogme 95 films besides "The Idiots".
Perhaps not "officially", but the style carried through to Breaking the Waves and even Dancer in the Dark (despite the fantastical musical numbers, which still, as I recall, relied heavily on diagetic sounds) which are his two most well known films and the style of which he is most commonly connected to.

I said i was expecting more because the trailer was just a bunch of screaming and somewhat low-budget "look over there" horror stuff, and Dafoe's voice is too monotonous for narration.
that's fair, i suppose, but i feel it has served the purpose of piquing our interest without really giving anything away, such as that palpable atmosphere and creep. And just how gorgeous it all is!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I really want to see it though.
I hope Dafoe is as good antichrist as he was a christ.
Judging from the trailer, I got the weird indirect impression this woman was going to give birth to the antichrist, not that it was Defoe. Maybe I just missed some obvious points though.

NightCrawler

New trailer for The Antichrist - http://www.fliqz.com/aspx/permalink.aspx?vid=c54396f419c24aa189a210c7a04d3cf7

Is he friend... or dafoe? *drumroll* :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Here's a movie I think everyone should see! :carcus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRdEVthmWM

I can't believe I never heard of this before. What a joke. That's one more reason I have zero respect/tolerance for Matthew McConaughey.

Why Gary Oldman? ....why? :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a movie I think everyone should see! :carcus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRdEVthmWM
I watched it on mute. I don't need sound to know that it looks supremely awful -- yet I bet it'll be a hit! :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
I watched it on mute. I don't need sound to know that it looks supremely awful -- yet I bet it'll be a hit! :troll:

It's an older movie. 2003 I think, and yea it wasn't a hit, and probably why we never heard of it. Watch it with the volume up if you get a chance though, the movie voice guy is hilarious. "When the going gets tough, it's only the size of your heart that counts" and "In the role of a lifetime ...Gary Oldman". :ganishka:

i agree, the announcer's voice is the best thing about it, and just what he was given to say.

it looks like it had the potential for some sort of social commentary, but i think it came up 'short'. :ganishka:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
i agree, the announcer's voice is the best thing about it, and just what he was given to say.

it looks like it had the potential for some sort of social commentary, but i think it came up 'short'. :ganishka:

Oh come on, be a little more tolerant. :troll:

District 9
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/district9/medium.html

Has sort of a Children of Men feel to it. I'm a little curious.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
District 9
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/district9/medium.html

Has sort of a Children of Men feel to it. I'm a little curious.
It's Peter Jackson. Expect a lot of circular panning shots. This time around a scifi landscape instead of a fantasy one :troll:

Walter said:
It's Peter Jackson. Expect a lot of circular panning shots. This time around a scifi landscape instead of a fantasy one :troll:

Haha. True. He's producer on this, so hopefully the director has already done his own thing. We'll see.

Top Bottom