Movies to look forward to

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Terminator: Salvation "exclusive 4 minute clip." It's not an actual clip or scene though, more like a longform version of the trailers with a few new wrinkles thrown in (Ironside sighting!). At one point, Bale almost slips into batvoice. =)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation/exclusive/index.html

I still prefer the dramatic Reznor music video-style trailer, because who isn't a sucker for that sort of shit? :badbone:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
...And the shitty reviews are in!

Roger Ebert slams T4 http://rogerebert.suntimes.com / --- 2 stars -- "I know with a certainty approaching dread that all of my questions will be explained to me in long detailed messages from "Terminator" experts. They also will charge me with not seeing the movie before I reviewed it. Believe me, I would have enjoyed traveling forward through time for two hours, starting just before I saw the movie. But in regard to the answers to my questions: You know what? I don't care."

Toronto Star slams T4 http://www.thestar.com/enterta inment - one and a half stars - "Terminator Salvation: It’s back, and it’s bad"

Globe and Mail slams T4 http://www.theglobeandmail.com /arts/ - two stars - "What its predecessors had, this sequel sorely lacks"

USA Today slams T4 http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/reviews/2009-05-19-terminator-salvation_N.htm -- "Bale is surprisingly one-dimensional as John Connor, the leader of the human Resistance movement whose destiny is linked to the future of mankind in this doomsday action franchise. He seems to be simply recycling his gravelly Dark Knight growl."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/19/DD7V17N5G0.DTL - "McG is a director with an above-average eye and an original instinct for camera placement. To his credit, he's not one of those lazy types who think they can generate excitement in an action sequence by shaking the camera or kicking it. But he has a major weakness as a filmmaker, and that weakness is all over "Terminator Salvation": His grand, elaborate visual sense is completely detached from his brain"..."Whoever thought in 2003 that we'd look back on "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" as the good old days?"

And Harry, the dude that enjoyed Van Helsing and Twilight slams it pretty bad - http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41140 - "I hate the film. Pure and simple. I loathe it. I hated it so much I didn’t want to see my friend’s faces afterwards. I just wanted to go home and vent. I really really hate this film. I hate how much effort so many great artists and technicians put into a film that’s this fucking bad. Ultimately its just shit moving, like a sewer pipe. I hate that there isn’t a sustained scene or sequence that I love as much as the best moment from TERMINATOR 3. I hate that when I left the theater I felt empty and let down. That I felt like writing a review like this instead of fucking dry humping a great TERMINATOR movie."
Perhaps I should tell you the opening scene. We open with Sam’s Marcus sitting on his prison bed as a ridiculously awful looking Helena Bonham Carter comes out. She’s there to get Marcus to sign his body, post-execution, away. She tells him she can give him a second chance at life. Wouldn’t he want that? He tells her a sentence about how he killed his brother and some other men, he doesn’t deserve a second chance. She continues to go after his body and he agrees, but on the condition that she kiss him. Her lips are so sickly looking, and he kisses her by grabbing the back of her head and forcing her face into his suddenly. When he pulls away he says rather absurdly, “Now I know what Death tastes like!” – the line and the delivery were BAD! I’m talking the kind of bad that you repeat as a watermark of awfulness. It’s a shame that Nolan wasn’t the sole screenwriter here… but those guys from CATWOMAN and T3.

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/05/terminator-salvation-bad-reviews

mcg_is_kuato.jpg

McG is Kuato.

Griffith

Oh well, I don't think anybody should be shocked, even the four minute clip revealed the material to be less promising when not in music video form. It was over with T3 anyway. =)

Remember though, this is what the critics said about the all-time "cult classic" Alien 3! :troll:

Terminator Salvation was a decent movie. The story I think was good, the directing a little weak to me. It took things in a more interesting direction and wasn't a victim of constant self-parody like T3 was. I knew critics would hate it universally of course. But, if you pretend T3 never existed, this is a pretty good addition to the story. Just my 2 cents.

NightCrawler

宮本 グリフィス said:
Oh well, I don't think anybody should be shocked, even the four minute clip revealed the material to be less promising when not in music video form. It was over with T3 anyway. =)

Remember though, this is what the critics said about the all-time "cult classic" Alien 3! :troll:

Not really. Alien 3 was just too grim and bleak. People didn't expect they would kill off their precious fan-favourites Hicks and Newt.
The effects sucked though, but i couldn't care less about that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No, it wasn't incredibly bad, per se. But it wasn't good enough to be a Terminator film, and ultimately added nothing to the franchise/series. I suppose it wasn't given a number for a reason...

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Not really. Alien 3 was just too grim and bleak. People didn't expect they would kill off their precious fan-favourites Hicks and Newt.

I was always more upset about the lack of explanation about the egg and facehugger that could impregnate twice... Anyway, don't make it sound like it's misunderstand for some brave artistic direction it took on account of it's sloppy departure from Aliens, that's really just a excuse for the film's own shortcomings. If it were a better movie, nobody would have cared.

Walter said:
Terminator Salvation: The kind of movie that wins "best sound editing," and nothing more.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/awards

:troll:

Walter said:
No, it wasn't incredibly bad, per se. But it wasn't good enough to be a Terminator film, and ultimately added nothing to the franchise/series. I suppose it wasn't given a number for a reason...

And Rise of the Machines deserved to be T3? Because that's Salvation's real measuring stick. After 3, I don't think you can judge "the series" by the standards of T2 anymore. No matter how promising this may have looked, nobody should have ever thought this was going to be a worthy successor to T2 at any time. Personally, I'm going to be judging it against T3, Alien 3, and Alien Resurrection. =)

Yeah, saw Terminator yesterday and I have to say.... bleh.

The special effects were pretty, though I had a hard time watching the action scenes because my theater had the sound up so high I thought I was going to go deaf. The plot... laughably ridiculous and terribly thought out. They had some good ideas in there. A terminator with a soul? Surprise CG guest cameos? The save your father so you can be born in the past subplot was even ok to me. However, they took these ideas and just... failed. If you stop to think about any of the actions of the characters in the movie, you start scratching your head. When you look at how the robots function, you scratch a little harder... by the time you get to the conclusion, you're just pulling out hair.
A woman who's been fighting this war against machines for years is going to fall in love overnight with someone they've seen as their enemy for years? She's going to let him go, no problem? And then John Conner is going to be like "Oh, let her out everything's ok even though a bunch of us just got killed because of your actions."

The worst offense to me is how they handled the machines in general. They dumbed them down to a completely stupid level just so that the humans could have a fighting chance. The start of the movie, they show that the machines can drop mini-nukes whenever they want to clear out an area, yet there's a whole pool of machines outside resistance HQ and Skynet does nothing. The whole plot is to get John Conner to a place where Skynet can wipe him out, yet when they finally get him where they want him, they send ONE machine after him. One machine that fails miserably because he can't run or do much of anything but look menacing. There's a lot more I'd like to complain about, but this is getting rather long already. Don't get me started on just how sudden and un-emotional the sacrifice at the end of the movie was. Just... pointless and dumb.

In the end, the plot completely failed. I didn't hate the movie, but personally, I'm a little tired of movies that don't mind being just tech demos. Just... ugh.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, cowtip. Your above explanation of the ending is what made me the most frustrated.
SkyNet's uh ... shitty plan to kill Connor.

For this and other reasons, the whole movie fell to pieces and felt like it was written by a semi-professional Terminator fanfic writer.

NightCrawler

宮本 グリフィス said:
I was always more upset about the lack of explanation about the egg and facehugger that could impregnate twice... Anyway, don't make it sound like it's misunderstand for some brave artistic direction it took on account of it's sloppy departure from Aliens, that's really just a excuse for the film's own shortcomings. If it were a better movie, nobody would have cared.

The shortcomings were mostly caused by the producers/studio. Fincher had a great vision and Sigourney backed him, which resulted in friction with the producers.
If you have the Quadrilogy boxset, watching the behind the scenes footage clears everything about what happened. Besides, it comes with the unofficial Director's Cut, which is by far, the best DC i've seen, ever. In the way that it changes alot of the theatrical version, in mood, pace, and even plot. They actually capture the Alien in the DC. Which makes perfect sense, and should've been included in the theatrical version. I'm still baffled by the way the studio cut that part.
But even the crippled theatrical Alien 3 cannot be compared to such piles of shit like T3 or Alien Resurrection. The AVP movies don't even deserve to be mentioned.
Alien 3 has great actors, decent characters/plot, great cinematography, great soundtrack, and great direction. Who fuckin cares about that egg on the ship? The problem was and always will be, that the fanboys wanted Aliens all over again. And they still do, by the amount of stupid stories with pseudo-colonial marines all around games and movies. Aliens was a parody on militarism, and yet most people didn't got it. It's all about the c00l weaponz and teh acctions and sh1t.
Alien 3 was the unperfect ending to a great trilogy.

Griffith

A sad state of affairs we find ourselves in, that the "movies to look forward to" are so disappointing, Nightcrawler and I will now re-enact arguing the pros and cons of Alien 3, a movie I enjoy actually, as if it were 1993:

NightCrawler said:
The shortcomings were mostly caused by the producers/studio. Fincher had a great vision and Sigourney backed him, which resulted in friction with the producers. If you have the Quadrilogy boxset, watching the behind the scenes footage clears everything about what happened. Besides, it comes with the unofficial Director's Cut, which is by far, the best DC i've seen, ever. In the way that it changes alot of the theatrical version, in mood, pace, and even plot. They actually capture the Alien in the DC. Which makes perfect sense, and should've been included in the theatrical version. I'm still baffled in the way the studio cut that part.

That's all well and good for Fincher and, Alien: Ressurection co-producer, Sigourney Weaver, but to quote Marshal Samuel Gerard, "I don't care." However you want to qualify it, it was a lousy product from 20th Century Century Fox. Everyone's intentions or a later director's cut doesn't change that. Also, though I really like Fincher, since he has since disowned said product and even his own vision for it when he was given the chance to redeem it, I have little sympathy. If you want to say the director's cut is great, fine, but differentiate, because that doesn't retroactively take Alien 3 off the hook for what it was.

NightCrawler said:
But even the crippled theatrical Alien 3 cannot be compared to such piles of shit like T3 or Alien Resurrection. The AVP movies don't even deserve to be mentioned. Alien 3 has great actors, decent characters/plot, great cinematography, great soundtrack, and great direction.

I agree completely, Alien 3 would be the best case scenario for Terminator Salvation, but just comparing those involved with the former to the latter, I don't even think the potential is there honestly. And there you have it, yesterday's disappointments are today's unobtainable standards!

NightCrawler said:
Who fuckin cares about that egg on the ship?

Me? James Cameron? People who like plots that at least try to make sense? Objective people not in the act of shamelessly apologizing for Alien 3? Lots of people, apparently. Anyway, that's just the first thing wrong with it, and if they took the time to get the FIRST THING about the premise right, maybe everyone would have been more forgiving. It all comes back to the movie, not people's perception, because that hinges on the movie too. For example, in many ways Aliens was a bigger departure from the original than 3 from Aliens or the series overall to that point, 3 actually being a return to form, but Aliens was done so well, that nobody minded. If you're gonna break eggs though, I expect an omelet, not two egg whites poured over a piece of dog-alien shit (though that would be far more artistic and provocative =).

NightCrawler said:
The problem was and always will be, that the fanboys wanted Aliens all over again. And they still do, by the amount of stupid stories with pseudo-colonial marines all around games and movies. Aliens was a parody on militarism, and yet most people didn't got it. It's all about the c00l weaponz and teh acctions and sh1t.

Don't forget that I can't believe she shaved her head dude, I totally wouldn't bang her like that!
gutsbarf.gif

Kidding aside, they got all that action without substance in Resurrection and those awful AVP movies, and everyone rightfully thought those sucked too. In any case, don't blame the audience for reacting to what they're given. It's not their responsibility to look into what Fincher's good intentions were or what his true vision was supposed to be. They can't all be expected to torture themselves rationalizing the failed production of Alien 3 into some wonderful piece of lost filmmaking only the enlightened can appreciate. It's not.

NightCrawler said:

That it certainly is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Who fuckin cares about that egg on the ship?

Who doesn't care, except for you?

NightCrawler said:

Alien 3 was boring and doesn't live up to Alien nor to Aliens. It's not a bad movie by any means, but it's certainly the weak one in the trilogy, like you said yourself. Alien: Resurrection on the other hand is just outrageously bad.

EDIT: I hesitated to post this in the "Movies to dread" thread, but the truth is I am definitely looking forward to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB0yXfpQZ8

Aazealh said:
EDIT: I hesitated to post this in the "Movies to dread" thread, but the truth is I am definitely looking forward to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxB0yXfpQZ8

I love Werner Herzog, but using the same title as the Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant is lame as hell. Every time I bring up Cronenberg's Crash, people think of Paul Haggis' shitpile of a movie of the same name. It's confusing, frustrating, and shouldn't be allowed. Albeit it looks somewhat interesting, there's no way it will live up to Harvey Keitel's intense performance.

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
I love Werner Herzog, but using the same title as the Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant is lame as hell. Every time I bring up Cronenberg's Crash, people think of Paul Haggis' shitpile of a movie of the same name. It's confusing, frustrating, and shouldn't be allowed. Albeit it looks somewhat interesting, there's no way it will live up to Harvey Keitel's intense performance.

Agreed. Though like Aaz said, I suppose I am looking forward to it even though it looks... silly, I guess.

Edit-
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41210
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40865

Robert Rodriguez is doing a film called PREDATORS, which he's calling a reboot to the series.
and

Fox is moving on an Alien movie, but it'll be more of a reboot/origins type story than a remake.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Agreed. Though like Aaz said, I suppose I am looking forward to it even though it looks... silly, I guess.

Well the reason I look forward to it is precisely because it's silly.

Oburi said:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41210
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40865

You're looking forward to that?

Oburi

All praise Grail
I am. Honestly I've seen Predator a million times, one of my favorite childhood movies. I'm one of those geeks that make excuses for the Alien versus Predator movies just because I like seeing the predator saga continue even though the movies suck. I've seen them all in the theater and I own all the dvd's, and yea they do suck. But come on guys have you no faith in Rodriguez at all? If anyone can reboot the series it will be him! I can't picture him ruining it, I've always watched his videos on "directing school" and "cooking school" and just about every other interview he puts on his dvds, this guy has all the respect in the world for the original movie. I may be alone in this but I couldn't be more excited that he's doing this movie. One of the few directors I keep tabs on, and now his making a predator movie! I'm so happy! This guy made Sin City, a near perfect graphic novel adaptation that brought Frank Miller and Micky Rourke back into the hollywood scene. He's the best choice and i think some of you may be surprised at how this movie turns out. If the movie really does suck I'll be the first to admit it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Why exactly does Predator need a remake/reboot? Do you really think this is going to be greater than the original? And if it's not why even try to achieve that with a remake/reboot other than to milk the cash cow of the franchise? Rodriguez Schmodriguez, principally, what makes this different from the Paul W.S. Anderson vomit-o-thons?

I realize this is a bunch of questions, but I'm seriously baffled over someone that supports this.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Why does it need a reboot? Well because fans like me who like watching Predator movies only have these stupid Paul WS Anderson versus movies. It needs a reboot because the series went to hell, plain and simple. I'm not saying the new "Predators" will better than the original, I know the original is the best. But if you want future movies your going to need to reboot this series because they've taken it in the wrong direction. THe first Predator movie is amazing and the rest SUCK in comparison. The only way to make these movies cool again is to go back to the source material and find out why the first one worked. I'm confident that Rodriguez is aware of this and will get it back on track. I don't believe they are milking the cash cow at this point. If anything I imagine the studio to be very reluctant to even put out another Predator movie. I'm just saying that I do believe Rodriguez can capture the spirit of the first film and make an exciting addition to a dying franchise. Its a chance, a hope, for a fan like me. And yea I know Rodriguez isn't the greatest director ever, but for his body of work making a Predator movie will be right up his ally. If its going to be made, and you know it was at some point, who better?

I have faith, sallimsaying.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
It needs a reboot because the series went to hell, plain and simple.

There's no series. Just Predator by John McTiernan, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers, Jesse Ventura, Bill Duke and the others. The sequel is a mere by-product, and the AvP movies are their own awfully bad franchise. No matter what they do, the original Predator will never be properly recreated. This "reboot" bullshit makes no sense when they could have as well just called the movie Predator 3.

Oburi said:
But if you want future movies your going to need to reboot this series because they've taken it in the wrong direction.

How is the new movie going to differ from Predator 2? For one thing I'm pretty sure it'll be heavily based on the mythology first introduced in it.

Oburi said:
The only way to make these movies cool again is to go back to the source material and find out why the first one worked.

See the list of people I gave earlier. Arnold made Predator what it is.

Top Bottom