Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I've seen it before. Disappointing trailer. But i read it was cut by Weinstein, and has almost nothing to do with the movie. All those first apocalyptic shots are not in the movie, and Charlize's role is like 5min long. If that is true (i hope so), then the trailer is really misleading.
It's about what I expected. The novel really doesn't lend itself to a movie in any way. But the mother's lines were all from the novel with the exception of that first one. The scene she has with the Man at the table does happen in the book. I expect some cheesy creative license to be taken with how the world got to this state, since that was barely addressed in the novel. Movie goers NEED TO KNOW :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well i saw Drag me TO Hell last night and I can say I was very pleased. If you like the Evil Dead series you will like this. Very entertaining! Keep in my mind it is suppose to be campy, light entertainment! It was actually genuinely scary at some parts and laugh out loud funny at others. Some of the gags seemed to fall flat at times but afterwords when I read up on the film and its many underlying themes (the main characters eating disorder) it made more sense. And for a pg-13 rating I can honestly say that it didn't bother me at all like I thought it would. The films style is that of evil dead 2 and army of darkness, with many identical scenes that were obvious nods to those films. I can't see any real fan hating on this movie too much, IMO it achieves it's purpose and is the best and most honest work Raimi has done in years... now back to Spiderman Man 4!

Oh let me also mention that the ending was one of the best things I've seen in a theater in a long time! Unfortunately i knew it was coming because if your like me and watched the trailer 6 or 7 times you'll be aware of what has happened and what hasn't. Trailers can suck sometimes! especially when they put the last scene of the movie in there! Still though, best ending to a movie I've seen in a long time. Transformers take notice!!!

Just saw the new Jim Jarmusch film The Limits of Control. It's a very meditative piece and completely unconventional, people that want a typical plot will hate it (I could tell people in the theater were getting frustrated). But I was really moved and my mind is still going over what I saw and piecing it together, plus it's some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen. Fans of Jarmusch, Taoist philosophy and/or art films should see this as soon as possible, if you can find a theater that plays it..

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Apparently the Lakers went to see The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 last night, so if they win today, it's my frontrunner for the year's best film. =)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
宮本 グリフィス said:
Apparently the Lakers went to see The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 last night, so if they win today, it's my frontrunner for the year's best film. =)

:ganishka:

I tell you this, If the Lakers win the series 4-1 or 4-2. I'm willing to buy you a Lakers jersey.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
It's about what I expected. The novel really doesn't lend itself to a movie in any way. But the mother's lines were all from the novel with the exception of that first one. The scene she has with the Man at the table does happen in the book. I expect some cheesy creative license to be taken with how the world got to this state, since that was barely addressed in the novel. Movie goers NEED TO KNOW :ganishka:

I have total confidence in John Hillcoat.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/29/weinstein-company-accused-of-padding-the-road-trailer/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
From the article posted above:

And while he is right to complain about TWC's choice to edit the trailer, if it brings in more people to actually see The Road (which won't be edited differently), then why is it such a big problem?
Because it's fucking Cormac McCarthy. You shouldn't NEED to add bullshit footage to "bring in more people." It's an insult to our intelligence.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the article made me tick as well. But it's not just a matter of what movie it is and of who's going to go see it. It's wrong to do that simply because it's false advertisement. It's lying to the consumer and that's just shameful.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
The only directors who should be allowed to touch McCarthy's work should be the Cohen brothers.

No Country for Old men was a fantastic adaptation and one of the truest-to-the-source movies out there.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Yeah the article made me tick as well. But it's not just a matter of what movie it is and of who's going to go see it. It's wrong to do that simply because it's false advertisement. It's lying to the consumer and that's just shameful.

Yup. That article was bullshit. Why is it wrong to add scenes to a trailer that are not even in the movie? its like having a passage on a book jacket thats not even from that book. Like I said in my Drag me To Hell post, some people like movie trailers and watch them several times. It's bad enough when they put in scenes from the films end in the trailer now they going to start putting in scenes that don't even happen? Totall bullshit!

Because it's an advertisement?
You have to think of who they're selling this to, and it's not to you guys because you (and people like you, like me) have already decided to see this, LONG before the trailer came out. So, if it's not for you and me, then who's it for? Probably for those people who don't even know or care whoever this McCarthy guy is. So, they've got to get butts in the seats, and if it means showing a little news channel footage to set up the advertisement for this film, then I don't really see what the problem is either. You also have to remember, how poorly trailers often speak for films anyway, especially when the studios have a film that they don't know how to sell (which The Road is probably a good example).
Of course, if it's deterring you and me from seeing it, then that could be a problem, but speaking for myself, I wasn't terribly perturbed by the trailer and I've already set my heart on it, with utter slobbering anticipation.

I mean, it may not be the "best" trailer, but it's not the end of the world.... :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Perineum Falcon said:
Because it's an advertisement?

It's FALSE advertising. Sorry, can't weasel your way out of this one. There's just no excuse, not even the fact trailers aren't always very representative in general. That logic of "everything is acceptable to trick a moviegoer into giving me his money" really doesn't lead to a nice place.

A Scorcese thriller? I admit it looks entertaining, of course we'll wait and see. It's good to see he's departing (no pun intended) from his usual genre and delving into new ones.

I wonder why DiCaprio though? He's clearly Scorcese's new DeNiro. I mean he's a decent enough actor, but I'd like to see some other people get face time. But from this trailer, he seems to have the proper intensity going on.

Here's to hoping it all comes out worthwhile.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Scorsese has done thrillers before (Cape Fear). But this does look very interesting and its got my boy Jackie Earle Haley in there too. I like DiCaprio ....sometimes. I think he awesome in films like Catch me if you Can and Gangs of New York and even the Departed, but I do get sick of him. He's a little too over the top sometimes in his more serious movies, too intense, if that makes sense.

Also I'd like to bring up Ang Lee's new film, Taking Woodstock, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1127896/ Looks good

And the public enemies trailer is out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWof6CovHxI
looks ok. Depp and Bale in the same movie.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I did not respond before so as not to jinx them, but yes, I'd like a #16 Pau Gasol please. :daiba:

Here's a movie to hopefully look forward to, they are finally making a remake of The Nightmare on Elm Street and it will come out next year I think around June, hopefully it is a good remake I mean Halloween was okay but it wasn't anything special, Friday the 13th however was a pretty good remake if you ask me Jason finally learns how to run :ganishka: and they are also making Halloween 2 lets just pray its better than the 1st remake

PS: Toy Story 3 is also coming soon (I know it's a kids movie but it was a good one):badbone:

Deci said:
NO!

You also forgot Mission Impossible 4 and Indiana Jones 5!

No joke.

Well sorry to say but i am not interested in those type of movies which is why i didn't know about that I am more interested in comedy/horror/drama/romance type of movies

Top Bottom