Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Perineum Falcon said:
It got a lot of flack when it came out because it was SUCH a light comedy after No Country. Sure, there's violence and a dark humor to it, but nothing on the level of the Coens' other films (like Big Lewbowski and Fargo).

Oh come on, The Big Lebowski wasn't really violent or dark. It's mostly goofy shit, even when Donnie dies. And what about Raising Arizona? Light comedy doesn't automatically equal bad movie.

LATE BREAKING EDIT!!!!1!!!:
Okay, I know this isn't real, but if it WERE the real trailer, this would be the greatest movie of all time.

2012: It's A Disaster!

Can you imagine what the world would be like if that were the actual advertising campaign?!

Shit man I actually want to watch this movie now. That guy's a genius.

I wasn't saying it was a bad movie, by any means.

And perhaps I mis-referenced Lewbowski there, but I was merely commenting on why some people were disappointed with the movie when it came out (mostly due to what came immediately before it).
I like comedy, believe it or not, it's just that most "comedies" these days aren't that good. But this I enjoyed, even if I haven't really thought about it since.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
LATE BREAKING EDIT!!!!1!!!:
Okay, I know this isn't real, but if it WERE the real trailer, this would be the greatest movie of all time.

2012: It's A Disaster!

Can you imagine what the world would be like if that were the actual advertising campaign?!

I enjoyed that, it actually made me want to see the movie. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:
I saw it when it first came out and loved it. It's definitely not their best film, but it was pretty damn good. The last scene with J.K. Simmons was hilarious.

What would you say their best film is? For me it's Millers Crossing and Fargo, followed by No Counrty and Hudsucker Proxy. Btw has anyone but me even seen The Hudsucker Proxy? Very underrated!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Watched Burn After Reading tonight, admittedly after a lot of beers, but was entertained throughout.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
What would you say their best film is? For me it's Millers Crossing and Fargo, followed by No Counrty and Hudsucker Proxy. Btw has anyone but me even seen The Hudsucker Proxy? Very underrated!

Really, any of the movies they made I can watch over and over again, however; The Big Lebowski is my all time favorite. Anyways, I love the Hudsucker Proxy, I enjoyed it as a kid and still love it now. Sadly most of my childhood favorites didn't stay in my favorites.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
What would you say their best film is?
Hands down -- The Big Lebowski. It's my favorite comedy. I've seen it innumerable times and the performances and writing still make me laugh every time.

X

Xem

The Big Lebowski wins. I always thought it was funny when Pineapple Express came out and people were like, "OMG, a stoner action comedy! Genius!" I always reference Lebowski immediately. Hudsucker Proxy was good too, but not Lebowski quality imo.

The rug really tied the room together.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
The Big Lebowski wins. I always thought it was funny when Pineapple Express came out and people were like, "OMG, a stoner action comedy! Genius!" I always reference Lebowski immediately.

The Big Lebowski wasn't a stoner action comedy.

X

Xem

• Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
    The Big Lebowski wasn't a stoner action comedy.

I disagree.

What constitutes a stoner action comedy then?
    • Pot-smoking - check
    • Comedy - check
    • Action - check

:???:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
I disagree.

What constitutes a stoner action comedy then?

• Pot-smoking - check
  • Comedy - check
  • Action - check

:???:

This isn't the thread for this, but The Big Lebowski just isn't a stoner action comedy. There wasn't a focus on either pot or action. It's just a really good comedy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's actually more of a detective/comedy movie. The dude is put in the same kinds of situations some hotshot private eye from pulp serials would be placed in. Mysterious lady contracts him to fulfill a mission, etc. This is all even mentioned in the movie toward the end. But, it's a play on those situations.

You should watch it again with that in mind. Im sure you'll come across more hilarious stuff you may have missed before. Like when he rubs the pencil on Jackie Treehorn's notepad and ... instead of like a real detective finding some hidden clue ... gets ... something else :ganishka:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
It's actually more of a detective/comedy movie. The dude is put in the same kinds of situations some hotshot private eye from pulp serials would be placed in. Mysterious lady contracts him to fulfill a mission, etc. This is all even mentioned in the movie toward the end. But, it's a play on those situations.

Ahh. Yeah that's what I was thinking around those lines, but I was thinking mystery/comedy.

Rob Ager, on his website, has an interesting analysis to The Big Lewbowski, and not surprisingly, there may be more to this movie than the drugs, rugs and mystery let on.

You should read(or watch) it here.

Also, here's the trailer for District 9.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The Big Lewbowski

QuiGonDude.jpg

My young padawan, it's great to put movie titles in italics but it's even better to spell them properly. LEBOWSKI.

Also, here's the trailer for District 9.

Am I the only one to have trouble with the premise? They're keeping aliens as virtual prisoners despite the aliens having superior technology?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Am I the only one to have trouble with the premise? They're keeping aliens as virtual prisoners despite the aliens having superior technology?

And from what it looks like in the trailer, superior strength. Yeah, it bugs me too.

Anyways, here is the trailer for the movie, Gamer.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Coming from the guy looking forward to Twilight 2. :puck:

OMG can't freakin wait for that! Its a chick flick really but go see it with a girl, you'll enjoy it and so will she :carcus:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oburi said:
OMG can't freakin wait for that! Its a chick flick really but go see it with a girl, you'll enjoy it and so will she :carcus:
I have lost all respect for you. :griff:

Oburi said:

Aw man here I thought we had similar tastes in films! I mean you hate transformers almost as much as I do. But then you start saying you like twilight? :isidro: I won't say I lost respect for you. I'm just shocked you hate transformers yet like twilight. Both movies are equally as bad but I respect you for liking a movie that mostly everyone I know hates.

A girl is dragging me to see the second film when it comes out. She keeps pestering me to read the books and watch the 1st film before the 2nd.... :puck: gah no way. I'm only seeing this movie because we have a deal going on. I see the movie and....well...anyways the main reason I don't like the movie or should I say now franchise is because I don't like the way vampires are portrayed in it. Also, because the twilight fangirls can be very annoying.

Top Bottom