Movies to look forward to

New Coen Brothers':

A Serious Man

EDIT:
Last minute Bonus Trailer:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

I'm a little apprehensive about the animation. The dialogue is good ol' Wes, but there's something about the animation that holds me back from being as excited as before.
Of course, I'll still see it, and I'll hold my total judgement 'til then, but..... I dunno. It does remind me quite a bit of - not the Burton animations - the REALLY old animations from the 70s and 80s, which of course falls in line with most everything else Wes has done and would be the most obvious statement I've made today.

But, hmm, yeah. There it is.

The Perineum Falcon said:
EDIT:
Last minute Bonus Trailer:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

I'm a little apprehensive about the animation. The dialogue is good ol' Wes, but there's something about the animation that holds me back from being as excited as before.
Of course, I'll still see it, and I'll hold my total judgement 'til then, but..... I dunno. It does remind me quite a bit of - not the Burton animations - the REALLY old animations from the 70s and 80s, which of course falls in line with most everything else Wes has done and would be the most obvious statement I've made today.

But, hmm, yeah. There it is.

Same here. It looks like it's more of a challenge to do stop animation with furry characters because in most every scene it appears as if there's a fan blowing around the fur on their faces for when they have to adjust the puppet while filming.

It does remind me of 70s 80s animations! First thing I thought of was Gumby :serpico: Like you, I'll still see this despite the look of the animation.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't know what there is to be apprehensive about? Could be hard on the eyes after an hour, by herky jerky "hands on" animation looked like the most interesting thing about it relative to other animated/stop motion/CGI features these days.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
That Fox trailer is HORRIBLE. Sure, we can use something different than cg, but talk about lame and contrived.
I was about to post the new Coen bros trailer, and i saw it was already posted. And no one mentioned it afterwards. I mean, it's probably one of the best trailers i have ever seen. Ever. And i knew nothing about the movie.

Griffith

Your disdain for one contrived trailer, love for another, and overall indignation are noted. Thank you.

Seriously though, I didn't know anything about the The Serious Man either until I saw the trailer, and I still wouldn't if I hadn't read the summary first. As a matter of fact, I may have actually been less interested after the trailer (though still very much am), so I'm putting its academy award for trailer lifetime achievement on hold.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I'm going to have to throw my hat in the "enjoyed it" ring for the Fantastic Mr. Fox trailer. I thought the animation was pretty well done.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
宮本 グリフィス said:
Your disdain for one contrived trailer, love for another, and overall indignation are noted. Thank you.

Seriously though, I didn't know anything about the The Serious Man either until I saw the trailer, and I still wouldn't if I hadn't read the summary first. As a matter of fact, I may have actually been less interested after the trailer (though still very much am), so I'm putting its academy award for trailer lifetime achievement on hold.

I'm still not that interested in the movie. But the trailer is magnificently edited.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My wife scored pre-screening tickets to Inglourious Basterds last week. So, we saw it last night along with about 200 of the worst group of movie goers I've ever been a part of (gasped, ooohd at the most obvious shit throughout. At one point spelled out a completely unobscure plot point for their idiot friends).

It's definitely worth seeing. I had mediocre expectations walking in, and it exceeded them with fireworks. It won't knock you off your feet, and it won't change how you perceive Tarantino. Despite the World War II setting, this movie's scenes have Tarantino's distinct dialogue-driven style, with not a huge amount of action. Much of the film is in occupied France between 1942-44 and about insurgency in various means, so there is gobs of suspense, which more than any film Tarantino has done, is milked to perfection here. The performances are likewise great. With the lead Nazi guy stealing the show, easily. After the film, we had to fill out a questionairre about what we liked/hated about the movie. The performances were the first thing I mentioned. Some very memorable scenes.

It also has a great ending that I 100% approve of :ganishka:

I won't say more until it's out for fear of spoiling it, but any fan of Pulp Fiction should definitely check this out. Kill Bill fans, leave your Momo school girl outfit at the door please.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
I don't know what there is to be apprehensive about? Could be hard on the eyes after an hour, by herky jerky "hands on" animation looked like the most interesting thing about it relative to other animated/stop motion/CGI features these days.

Hmm. The problem I have with it is that the animation technique reminds me of "cheap" short films. Regardless of it being cheap to produce or not. I'm aware it's just a personal bias against the technology used though. Overall it seems interesting enough (not hard when you adapt a famous book). Nice cast of voice actors.

NightCrawler said:
I was about to post the new Coen bros trailer, and i saw it was already posted. And no one mentioned it afterwards. I mean, it's probably one of the best trailers i have ever seen. Ever. And i knew nothing about the movie.

You must not have seen many trailers in your life... I don't know, it didn't get me interested in the movie at all. And I love the Coen brothers.

Walter said:
It's definitely worth seeing. I had mediocre expectations walking in, and it exceeded them with fireworks. It won't knock you off your feet, and it won't change how you perceive Tarantino. Despite the World War II setting, this movie's scenes have Tarantino's distinct dialogue-driven style, with not a huge amount of action. Much of the film is in occupied France between 1942-44 and about insurgency in various means, so there is gobs of suspense, which more than any film Tarantino has done, is milked to perfection here. The performances are likewise great. After the film, we had to fill out a questionairre about what we liked/hated about the movie. The performances were the first thing I mentioned. Some very memorable scenes.

Very nice. I was afraid it'd be mediocre as well but now I'm looking forward to it. I'm curious to see what Tarantino did with the setting. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
My wife scored pre-screening tickets to Inglourious Basterds last week. So, we saw it last night along with about 200 of the worst group of movie goers I've ever been a part of (gasped, ooohd at the most obvious shit throughout. At one point spelled out a completely unobscure plot point for their idiot friends).

It's definitely worth seeing. I had mediocre expectations walking in, and it exceeded them with fireworks. It won't knock you off your feet, and it won't change how you perceive Tarantino. Despite the World War II setting, this movie's scenes have Tarantino's distinct dialogue-driven style, with not a huge amount of action. Much of the film is in occupied France between 1942-44 and about insurgency in various means, so there is gobs of suspense, which more than any film Tarantino has done, is milked to perfection here. The performances are likewise great. After the film, we had to fill out a questionairre about what we liked/hated about the movie. The performances were the first thing I mentioned. Some very memorable scenes.

It also has a great ending that I 100% approve of :ganishka:

I won't say more until it's out for fear of spoiling it, but any fan of Pulp Fiction should definitely check this out. Kill Bill fans, leave your Momo school girl outfit at the door please.

O man this is great news. God your so lucky Walter! How long was the movie? and you said there isn't much action, does the movie ever get boring? Also how violent is it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
O man this is great news. God your so lucky Walter! How long was the movie? and you said there isn't much action, does the movie ever get boring? Also how violent is it?
Movie was about 2.5 hours. It did feel rather long in my opinion. But they said at the outset this was an early cut of the movie and would likely be trimmed before its August 21 nationwide premiere.

I only meant that there didn't seem like much action given the setting -- World War II. It really can't be called an action movie. It's more of a suspense/comedy. But that didn't make it boring. There are scenes that SEEM boring, but then have a massive payoff that makes you feel stupid about being bored a few minutes earlier. The performances really carry the scenes. If done by a static cast with poor direction, the script would fall flat.

Regarding violence, after the movie, when filling out the questionnaire, I wrote that I felt some scenes were too violent and gratuitous, and I'm a fan of Berserk so ...
gutsbarf.gif
. But my wife didn't agree with my wussy sentiment, so take from that what you will!

PS: I should have mentioned earlier but it was apparently a very successful test screening last night. Nearly everyone left the theater with a smile on their face. But, I think Brad Pitt's character being a self-proclaimed hick from Tennessee may have helped in that regard (this was in Nashville).

Oburi

All praise Grail
Some great trailers here.

The fantastic Mr. Fox looks cool! I think it will fit in nicely with Anderson's other work, though I can't stand George Clooney's voice... why? Everyone else is great why does he have to be the lead?

THe new Coen film looks amazing. Great, funny trailer. I actually laughed out loud at the "he's busy" line.

The new Tron is looking very nice. I've seen only about half of the original but I can tell just from the trailer that this is going to be interesting.

Can someone explain this District 9 movie? Part of me thinks it like nonsense and I have no desire to see it, but another part of me is just flat out interested. I find myself asking questions about it and wanting to learn exactly whats going on. Also it's rated R so does anyone think there's anything to this flick?

Oburi said:
Some great trailers here.

The fantastic Mr. Fox looks cool! I think it will fit in nicely with Anderson's other work, though I can't stand George Clooney's voice... why? Everyone else is great why does he have to be the lead?
I'm perplexed by my reaction, honestly, since I've been so excited about it for 3 years now. Granted, it's a terribly generic trailer, and I don't feel it's fully representative of the final work.

The voices themselves aren't what bothers me, i think it's just the juxtaposition of sound and image here. They're not voice acting, they're acting-acting, which for a Wes Anderson film, means everything's subtle and subdued. And the animation's awkward, too.
But the script is what, in my opinion, saves it from complete mediocrity and disappointment.

And, to be perfectly honest, I like the trailer better when I don't watch it.

Odd.

THe new Coen film looks amazing. Great, funny trailer. I actually laughed out loud at the "he's busy" line.

This is what bothered me most about it. It was so very expected, but not from the Coens. As soon as she came back, I knew she would say that, and his reaction only made it worse. i hope it's not indicative of the humor found throughout.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, it's like "What the Fuck, Bad Trailer?" Fest:

Ponyo

I'm also going to provide SPOILER warnings to that. Seriously, watch it and you may have seen the whole film.

The Perineum Falcon said:
EDIT: Jesus Christ, it's like "What the Fuck, Bad Trailer?" Fest:

Ponyo

I'm also going to provide SPOILER warnings to that. Seriously, watch it and you may have seen the whole film.

That's right I remember seeing the banner from this movie hanging from a theater lobby about 3-4 weeks ago? I was excited to hear about it. Regardless if the trailer may have given ever scene away I'll watch that too.

Also, I checked the Planet 51 trailer in that link. I'm intrigued only for the premise of the movie. A sort of switcharoo on the old first encounter idea.

Ponyo looks pretty good to watch and it's from the same guy who created Princess Mononoke. As for the english cast there are some pretty good people like Tina Fey, Matt Damon, Cloris Leachman and even Betty White.

I have loved absolutely every movie that has come out of Studio Ghibli. Count me excited for Ponyo. I had heard that this was going to be Miyazaki's last film that he's directly responsible for. It makes me sad, but that man has earned his retirement if it's true.

CowTip said:
I have loved absolutely every movie that has come out of Studio Ghibli. Count me excited for Ponyo. I had heard that this was going to be Miyazaki's last film that he's directly responsible for. It makes me sad, but that man has earned his retirement if it's true.

Hm I didn't hear about it being his last film. My all time favorite from him is Spirited Away.

Could be~ Probably pretty hard to turn away when you have so many people clamoring for you to continue your works.

Or it's just the media always stirring up quotes that don't really exist. I can't find any mention of it being his last movie anywhere anymore.

He went into a semi-retirement after Mononoke but was inspired to make Spirited Away and came back. The film was marketed as his final film but he's been back ever since I think and he'll keep on doing it till he dies, even if he does retire he'll only be inspired and come back again.

Anyway I liked Ponyo but it's definitely not my favourite of his films (which is Mononoke, only beating Nausicaa because the manga is a million times better than the film)

Just watched the fantastic Mr Fox trailer, reminds me of the Peter and the Wolf animation

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/14235284/10009545-ninja_assassin/videos/ninja_assassin_trlr_072709.html

Official Trailer for Ninja Assassin

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/dor/objects/14235284/10009545-ninja_assassin/videos/ninja_assassin_trlr_072709.html

Official Trailer for Ninja Assassin

Wow, this reminds me of all those cheesy ninja movies from the 80s. And I couldn't help but laugh at 0:58. The sound of the guy dying is straight out of Doom. :ganishka:

Griffith

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/03/ridley-scott-to-direct-%E2%80%98alien%E2%80%99-prequel/

Whether the movie does or not, this news belongs in this thread.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
宮本 グリフィス said:
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/03/ridley-scott-to-direct-%E2%80%98alien%E2%80%99-prequel/

Whether the movie does or not, this news belongs in this thread.

Nice! That's probably the best news possible for the movie at this point. It'll be interesting to see if Ridley goes with the whole "space jockey" story or not.

Top Bottom