Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3980984857/ The child in all of you is excited for this one. I was getting a little teary at the begginning. :sad:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi289539353/

Season of the Witch. Anything remind you of Berserk? It should jump right out at you. If you get it you win!

Anyone else wanting to see THem Lovely Bones?
thelovelybonesn.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
The pelican monks?

You got it!

Saw Ninja Assassin tonight. I must admit sadly that I'm a little let down. It was a little too generic and typical than I wanted. Still better than most action movies that come out these days, but it was filled with so many cliche's it was a little depressing. Dialog was terrible, story was generic and characters were hardly fleshed out at all. Even the action wasn't as good as it could have been. Lots of fast cuts, shaky camera and dark (really dark) shadows that hide most choreography. And it was a little weird because even though some of the action was realistic enough to believe they had some supernatural stuff in there too. I would describe the movie like Ninja Gaiden withought the monsters. I mean they move so fast that it just blurrs, and they can heal quickly, like wolverine. Also i couldn't get past how they all spoke English. I mean seriously there was not any subtitles, just poorly spoken English the whole time.

Despite all that I must admit I was still entertained. On the good side its really about ninjas kicking ass. And there is so much blood, digital mostly, but so much that it rivals Kill Bill. Gallons of the stuff, and some great death scenes. It really was like a video game movie. And Rain, (Japanese popstar turned actor) was totally badass. The coolest hero I have seen on screen in a while. I wouldn't mind seeing him in more action movies, I totally bought it. I just wish they kept it a little more old school. It was a little too over the top, but yet not over the top enough to make it insane out of this world cool. It's somewhere in between, so it comes out as just another average action movie, just it gets bonus points for being about ninjas and having a badass hero with lots of violence.

EDIT- Oh yea and it looks like The Road isn't playing anywhere near where I live. I have no idea how im going to see now :judo:

Yeah, Book of Eli, and The Road I want to see, I have Fallout 3 to thank for that. I'm glad there a are 5 or 6 movies I want to see over the next few months, oppose to the 1 or 2 I wanted to see over the summer. I don't want to get my hopes up and say things are picking back up.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Saw Ninja Assassin tonight. I must admit sadly that I'm a little let down. It was a little too generic and typical than I wanted. Still better than most action movies that come out these days, but it was filled with so many cliche's it was a little depressing. Dialog was terrible, story was generic and characters were hardly fleshed out at all. Even the action wasn't as good as it could have been. Lots of fast cuts, shaky camera and dark (really dark) shadows that hide most choreography.

You thought it would be anything but? It sounds like it overachieved immensely to only be that terrible. If you saw the trailer and thought it actually looked good, I've got some delicious chocolate ice cream to sell you! :carcus:

looksgood.jpg

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Saw, The Road.

It was good. I feel it's not really the same story as in the book, even though it's almost identical.
The movie focused too much on the Wife. The added parts where he was remembering her in dreams or flashbacks didn't bother me as much as the full scenes involving dialog between her and the man. Much like the part where the Wife gave birth to the son. It was meant to be dramatic, but just had everyone in the audience cracking up because she was refusing to give birth to her child and how silly it seemed.

I feel one thing the movie did wrong was give an idea that you would figure out how the world ends, but much like the book you are never given an explanation, because it doesn't matter.

Last bit, my big complaint about the movie
The movie left out a lot of the smaller bits from the book which you can assume was left out because the film makers didn't see the importance to them being left out. Also the ending with the Veteran and the Boy left you confused and feeling awkward about the whole thing.

Anyways that is it. The cinematics were amazing, best part of the whole movie.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Although Michael Cera plays always the same character, this movie looks fun:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0a3a2b34e2/youth-in-revolt?rel=player

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
NightCrawler said:
Although Michael Cera plays always the same character, this movie looks fun:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0a3a2b34e2/youth-in-revolt?rel=player

Maybe not exactly the same this time. It'll be interesting how this will turn out, since it doesn't look like the normal shit he stars in.

Griffith

I remember enjoying that trailer in theaters, like a lighthearted prequel to Fight Club. :ganishka:

Don't know if the joke is going to carry it for two hours though.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Welp, Avatar is released today guys. I had planned on being the first one on the board to see it after work tonight but my shift changed an now I won't get out until midnight, and it will be like that until Christmas eve, so looks like I won't be seeing until after the holidays (unless I call out sick :guts:) Anyway my plans are ruined, so for anyone else who gets a chance to see it in the next few days let us all know how it is ok?

Don't know if this has been brought up recently, but has anyone seen Lars Von Trier's Antichrist? It just came to the obscure theater in town, and I must say, it's one of the most terrifying and disturbing experiences of my life. I can't even begin to describe how nightmaresque this movie is.

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
Don't know if this has been brought up recently, but has anyone seen Lars Von Trier's Antichrist? It just came to the obscure theater in town, and I must say, it's one of the most terrifying and disturbing experiences of my life. I can't even begin to describe how nightmaresque this movie is.

Antichrist is on demand already. I was thinking about ordering it and watching the other night.

Antichrist is on OnDemand already?! WTF?

It's release completely by-passed this town........ i'm not surprised.

Che has also been released on OnDemand, I really need to clear out a day to watch it. Thanks for the heads up!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
After reading about some of the more disturbing incidents in Antichrist, I think I'll pass. My stomach isn't as strong as it once was. :void:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just got back from seeing Avatar and I have to say that it was one of the best movie experiences of my life. I literally loved every minute of the film. This is one of the first times, for me at least, that something lived up to its hype. The only thing that bothered me was
the name of the mineral they were digging for: unobtainium.
Other than that, the movie was damn near perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you guys and girls thought of it. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I just got back from seeing Avatar and I have to say that it was one of the best movie experiences of my life.

Did you see it in 3D? If so, any feedback on what it added to the experience?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Did you see it in 3D? If so, any feedback on what it added to the experience?

Yep, I saw it in IMAX 3D. In the beginning, the difference was really noticeable, stuff flying past the camera and the depth found in each scene, but as time went on I got so used to it I didn't think about it that much. What I noticed most of all was the sound in the IMAX theater. My seat was rattling quite often. It'll be interesting to see it in 2D once it comes out on video.

EDIT: I have to add that the trailers don't do the CG justice at all. There were times during the movie where I completely forgot I was watching an entirely computer generated scene. Industrial Light and Magic really outdid themselves.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Perineum Falcon said:
Antichrist is on OnDemand already?! WTF?

It's release completely by-passed this town........ i'm not surprised.

Che has also been released on OnDemand, I really need to clear out a day to watch it. Thanks for the heads up!

Yea I saw Che on there too. I don't think a movie adaptation could be any good, or it just wouldn't impress me. And I didn't really hear anything about it. Then again I wasn't really following up on the film either. Hopefully it will be surprisingly well made, and Del Torro is usually cool so I suppose I would give it a shot. As for Antichrist, I wasn't really hooked by the trailer, but if it's suppose that disturbing maybe I'll reconsider watching it. Out of boredom I been watching a lot of fearnet movies on demand so I'm kinda in the mood for a really scary movie. Most of Fearnets "horror" movies suck anyway. They are either really cheesy/old or ones that I've seen a zillion times already (Evil Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Dead Alive).

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
I just got back from seeing Avatar and I have to say that it was one of the best movie experiences of my life. I literally loved every minute of the film. This is one of the first times, for me at least, that something lived up to its hype. The only thing that bothered me was
the name of the mineral they were digging for: unobtainium.
Other than that, the movie was damn near perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you guys and girls thought of it. :serpico:

I don't feel as strongly as you do about it, but my flicker of hope and faith was not unrewarded; it was certainly impressive. The storytelling and characterization was simple and effective enough for what it was (nothing new, as a matter of fact it's almost like a pastiche), but the production values and viewing experience really take it to another level. There were shots where it was like you were there. So, apologies to James Cameron; comeback achieved, though I don't feel like Cameron returned to form so much as he bitch-slapped Steven Spielberg and took over his epic action/sci-fi/sentimental special effects movie turf here, for better or worse (I could honestly see Spielberg and Peter Jackson wishing they had made this movie; George Lucas would think he already did =).

It's really all things to all people though, if you want to love it, you can based on the extraordinary visual storytelling experience or some such BS, and if you want to hate it, you can easily dismiss the importance of that and call the rest completely ordinary. Unless you didn't like Stephen Lang, then you just suck.

You didn't like gold oil unobtainium? The only way I could have liked it more was if it was called MacGuffinium. =)

As far as complaints, speaking of the mineral, it's good thing they went so far out of their way to establish how stupid Jake was, because he never even broached the subject of the mineral with the Na'vi, nor was it established as something important to them like the trees and the rest of the planet. I'm sure it was, or couldn't be removed without disturbing them, but still, it left me sarcastically wondering if it was just useless rocks to them that they would have gladly mined within reason in exchange for not being, you know, destroyed. That was the other thing, he could have delicately warned them earlier about the reality of what was coming and the consequences at hand and given them some time to actually think about it instead of literally waiting for the bulldozers to break down the door. You'd also think someone would have told him to do this anyway, if it hadn't already been made clear, especially considering all the money they were spending on this program to try and productively communicate with these people. Also, my friend joked afterward, "Wow, James Cameron hates America," which was one way to describe some of the film's not so subtly tacked on themes. I think Cameron smells Oscar. =)

Anyway, relatively unimportant quibbles in the big picture of what this movie is actually about, which is literally the experience of watching the movie.

Rhombaad said:
Yep, I saw it in IMAX 3D. In the beginning, the difference was really noticeable, stuff flying past the camera and the depth found in each scene, but as time went on I got so used to it I didn't think about it that much. What I noticed most of all was the sound in the IMAX theater. My seat was rattling quite often. It'll be interesting to see it in 2D once it comes out on video.

EDIT: I have to add that the trailers don't do the CG justice at all. There were times during the movie where I completely forgot I was watching an entirely computer generated scene. Industrial Light and Magic really outdid themselves.

Ditto, with the glasses on and the full effect going, whatever difference between what's really there and what isn't is rendered moot as far as viewing experience goes, and I didn't even have the best seat.

looksgood.jpg
isgood.jpg

It's amazing the difference those 3D glasses can make! :troll:

Death May Die said:
Got out of Avatar, it's not bad at all. The visuals don't disappoint, beautiful movie. I couldn't get enough of Pandora. In fact, through out the movie he's switching back and forth from each body, I noticed early on that I didn't really like the main character returning to his original body. Kinda felt like it broke the pace, and such segments I couldn't wait to be over but they were doing it for plot development. Story wise, if this movie came out when he originally wrote it, it would be above average with its story. It did seem it had the "gain their trust, get to know the enemy, and then indirectly fall in love with their ways" routine. So it wasn't very innovative there. But the last hour is action packed. The world is very vibrant and there seems to be something new around every corner. I didn't find it once too slow. Infact, it just gets down to it most of the time, presents plot points and then moves on, sometimes perhaps not taking full advantage of some segments to make for a more full story.

The main characters were very good, I liked them. Kinda like the story, they didn't innovate or highly stand out among other big movies of its kind. There was only 2 or 3 characters I thought needed better development as characters. Overall, for every little bad thing, I found a good thing. This is definitely one of those epics you would find south park making fun of, but in the end I think this one has dignity. It's what I would say is the live action (of sort) version on Ferngully. But you know, way better of course. Avatar has a lot to offer, and I would love to see it lit up on a HD TV with the vibrant colors. At times for some reason I found myself comparing it to the scope of the TV show "Planet Earth" just it has that much to offer in terms of Pandora. I suggest seeing it, I found it worth it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Nice review, Griff! Stephen Lang was awesome. :guts:

The movie felt a lot like one of those great 80's action movies, what with the style of dialogue and simple but effective storyline. That and Ripley herself being in it, haha.

Top Bottom