Movies to look forward to

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
Nice review, Griff! Stephen Lang was awesome. :guts:

Yeah, he's the best I've seen in the Sergeant Badass mold for a while.

Rhombaad said:
The movie felt a lot like one of those great 80's action movies, what with the style of dialogue and simple but effective storyline. That and Ripley herself being in it, haha.

To me it was still representative of the modern epic movie: overly long, self-indulgent, extremely high production value but at the cost of a sort paint by numbers quality, even with the drama. That sounds like I'm bashing it, but that's just the way movies have been this decade, even the good ones and the "serious" dramas seem very self-aware now. Like, scenes used to be played like they should for realism, it was practical, craft, and if material was strong and they did their job, they were great scenes, if they had that extra something or it quality to boot, that made them transcendent, it was like finding a diamond in the rough, and so craft translated into art. Now I feel like it's the opposite, it's constantly being forced. Dramatic scenes aren't just played straight, to be the practical realization of what they're portraying, they're done intentionally to look and sound like good dramatic movie scenes. So, instead of the actors and directors discovering gold, they're trying to manufacture it, and it always comes across as sort of synthetic to me, whereas a lot of older movies are more genuine and human simply by being a bit more straightforward and... appropriately unsophisticated (just compare Avatar to Aliens in that regard). It's like live action movies are of such high production value and precision, they're almost entering the uncanny valley.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
Yeah, he's the best I've seen in the Sergeant Badass mold for a while.

Wasn't he the original choice to play Hicks in Aliens? I seem to remember Cameron saying that's why he wanted to put him in Avatar.

グリフィス said:
To me it was still representative of the modern epic movie: overly long, self-indulgent, extremely high production value but at the cost of a sort paint by numbers quality, even with the drama. That sounds like I'm bashing it, but that's just the way movies have been this decade, even the good ones and the "serious" dramas seem very self-aware now. Like, scenes used to be played like they should for realism, it was practical, craft, and if material was strong and they did their job, they were great scenes, if they had that extra something or it quality to boot, that made them transcendent, it was like finding a diamond in the rough, and so craft translated into art. Now I feel like it's the opposite, it's constantly being forced. Dramatic scenes aren't just played straight, to be the practical realization of what they're portraying, they're done intentionally to look and sound like good dramatic movie scenes. So, instead of the actors and directors discovering gold, they're trying to manufacture it, and it always comes across as sort of synthetic to me, whereas a lot of older movies are more genuine and human simply by being a bit more straightforward and... appropriately unsophisticated (just compare Avatar to Aliens in that regard). It's like live action movies are of such high production value and precision, they're almost entering the uncanny valley.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's a shame and I think a lot of it has to do with all the new tools that are available to filmmakers these days, especially CGI. One of the things I think hurt the Star Wars prequels was the fact that there were no practical sets. Everything was CGI, giving the actors nothing to work with. That and the script, hehe. Avatar was one of the few movies I've seen lately where even though the dialogue was a bit cheesy at times, the delivery felt a bit more genuine. It felt like people were actually acting instead of just reading off lines. That was my take on it anyway. :serpico:

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Wasn't he the original choice to play Hicks in Aliens? I seem to remember Cameron saying that's why he wanted to put him in Avatar.

I don't know, but for a while Michael Biehn was going to play the Colonel.

Rhombaad said:
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It's a shame and I think a lot of it has to do with all the new tools that are available to filmmakers these days, especially CGI. One of the things I think hurt the Star Wars prequels was the fact that there were no practical sets. Everything was CGI, giving the actors nothing to work with. That and the script, hehe.

Yeah, but what gets me is that even character driven dramas with no fantastical elements have that too clean CGI video look now, like every scene was air brushed or needlessly computer enhanced. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it's been bothering me for the decade. I have trouble taking it seriously.

Rhombaad said:
Avatar was one of the few movies I've seen lately where even though the dialogue was a bit cheesy at times, the delivery felt a bit more genuine. It felt like people were actually acting instead of just reading off lines. That was my take on it anyway. :serpico:

I agree with you overall. Plus, it's not like this movie required the most witty repartee to work anyway, it's an overachieving escapist adventure, so I find the bashing of it for not being David Mamet a little asinine.

X

Xem

Saw Avatar in IMAX 3D today. Loved it! Not the "revolutionary" movie that Cameron seemed to promise, but he's redeemed himself in my eyes. At least one good old fashioned hollywood director hasn't completely lost their marbles.

I have to admit, I loved the current actors' portrayal, but I would've loved to have seen that as well.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:

I heard that, too. I'm not sure how that would have worked out. Stephen Lang was so bad ass and over the top that it's hard to imagine anyone else playing Col. Quaritch. :guts:

グリフィス said:
Yeah, but what gets me is that even character driven dramas with no fantastical elements have that too clean CGI video look now, like every scene was air brushed or needlessly computer enhanced. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it's been bothering me for the decade. I have trouble taking it seriously.

Yeah, I hate the polished look of movies today. I'm glad that shooting entirely in digital isn't catching on. I like my films to look like they were shot on film. Give me grain!

グリフィス said:
I agree with you overall. Plus, it's not like this movie required the most witty repartee to work anyway, it's an overachieving escapist adventure, so I find the bashing of it for not being David Mamet a little asinine.

Exactly. As Roger Ebert said, it’s like watching Star Wars. It’s pure escapism. I'm taking my girlfriend to it this Sunday and will probably go one more time the weekend after with my friends who haven't seen it yet. Gotta help Cameron make back that $400 million, haha.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Just curious, are there theaters NOT showing Avatar in 3D?

I was wondering the same thing myself. James Cameron has stated that the first Blu-ray release of the film will be in 2D and later they'll release the 3D version once 3D players and televisions are more affordable, so they must have a 2D copy for theaters that don't support the 3D format.

Griffith

Yeah, I flipped my 3D shades up every once in a while to see the difference and it wasn't pretty, you basically have to wear the glasses just for the picture to look normal, let alone 3D, so...

PUT THE GLASSES ON!! PUT 'EMM ONNN!!!

Walter said:
Just curious, are there theaters NOT showing Avatar in 3D?

Man, you don't know the half of it. Any movie that is advertised in 3D, we get in 2D, here in Jefferson City Missouri. I have to go to either Kansas City or St. Louis to see a 3D flick. Both 2 1/2 hour drives. I saw the new "Christmas Carol" in 2D...how LAME IS THAT! Talk about awkward and loss of experience! I don't know about other states, but it seems here in Mid West America, unless your in a major city, your chances of seeing a movie in 3D are slim.

Death May Die said:
Has anyone seen the original "Battle Angel?" Which is what the next work James Cameron is putting out is based on. It looks like an interesting anime.

Has it been confirmed what he´s going to make next? Another possibility is a sequel to Avatar, which he has mentioned a few times if Avatar becomes a success.

As for Battle Angel, the movie would be based off the original manga, which is quite good in my opinion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Good point.

Has anyone seen the original "Battle Angel?" Which is what the next work James Cameron is putting out is based on. It looks like an interesting anime.
It's based on GUNNM, a manga, which spawned an anime that was domesticated as "Battle Angel Alita."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Is the manga any good? I was planning on buying it.

Gunnm is a classic of the genre and I would certainly recommend it if you like cyberpunk and cyborgs. There is also an on-going sequel called "Gunnm Last Order" but I've only read the first two books of it.

Oburi said:
Is the manga any good? I was planning on buying it.

It's excruciatingly good. Most people seem to agree about the quality of the original. The Last Order series is a direct continuation and it's excellent too although some readers have been complaining about the inclusion of certain elements in it (a huge tournament arch among other things) which apparently makes it "less serious". While I can see why some are annoyed by this I still think it exceeds just about everything else being released right now. Along with that obscure Berserk manga it's my favorite series. I haven't got too much good to say about the OVA though. Wasted potential.

Saw Avatar a few days ago btw. It was a 2D screening, but the 3D tickets costed a lot more. Didn't spoil my enjoyment in the slightest.

Death May Die said:
here in Mid West America, unless your in a major city, your chances of seeing a movie in 3D are slim.
The same in Russia, many small cities an towns don't have any 3D theaters, in my city there's only one and Avatar was my first 3D experience, 'cause before that they were showing only kids movies in 3D. The movie is great, I mean the plot is very predictable, but the special effects and Pandora are just pure awesomeness. Can't wait to buy on blu-ray.
I also can't wait to see Sherlock Holmes, Guy Ritchie do not fail us! :serpico:

Watched avatar on Sat.. seriously this movie rock my ass off!

Haha, its one of those very good movies I have not come across for a long long time... Since like when? Return of the King back in 2003?

Top Bottom