Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
I guess I'm in the minority of actually appreciating the candor and humor of that (plus it's kind of funny that they claimed it). I mean, what's more insulting, letting the audience in on a joke, or pretending we should take everything about the movie so seriously? There's enough self-important stuff in there already.

I didn't give a shit about it either. Honestly if that's the only thing you roll your eyes at while thinking the rest is fine and dandy then I'd say you have a problem. And it's not just a silly word some scriptwriter made up, it's got a history both in Sci-Fi and Aerospace.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Haha, yeah, I actually thought when I wrote that, "I bet Aaz didn't have a problem with it either." :casca:

The only drawback is that if you make an unobtainium reference or joke now people will automatically assume you're referring to Avatar. Then again, if one's making unobtainium jokes, my sympathy lies only with the audience. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
I don't see how anyone could NOT roll their eyes during that scene. Just the mention of the word Unobtainium had me and the people around me looking at each other. It took me right out of the realism at that point in the film. The whole scene was pretty terrible actually. You have that weasel Cooperate guy explaining the whole unobtainium mining thing to Sigourney, who would already know why they are there wouldn't she? But I guess we the audience need to know somehow...

Aazealh said:
I didn't give a shit about it either. Honestly if that's the only thing you roll your eyes at while thinking the rest is fine and dandy then I'd say you have a problem.

I knew about it before going into the movie just from reading about it on this site, but as soon as it was said it just kinda distracted me, and i didn't find it "clever" or "funny". And it wasn't the only the thing I rolled my eyes at. As you said the way the Na'Vi acted so human and bowed down to Jake when he tamed the giant creature was lame too. I don't want to nitpick, I really did enjoy the film, it's just a bunch of little things that could have really made this movie so much better. Shit, with this movies growing popularity you expect some kind of masterpiece, it's hard to not see such glaring faults. I guess the whole unobtainium thing gets different reactions from different people, but for those of us who not all science fictiony, it sounded dumb in the movie, but I guess that makes me dumb for not knowing the history of the word right? In retrospect, I think the movie has many faults, and honestly I didn't love it as much as I was hoping too, but it's still an amazing technical achievement and a great movie theater experience that I'm glad to have seen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
weasel Cooperate guy

You mean "corporate", right?

Oburi said:
for those of us who not all science fictiony, it sounded dumb in the movie, but I guess that makes me dumb for not knowing the history of the word right?

Nah, no need to go that far. The general public isn't expected to know that kind of trivia. I'm just surprised to see it mentioned so much compared to the other problems I had with the movie.

Griffith

Oburi said:
It took me right out of the realism at that point in the film. The whole scene was pretty terrible actually. You have that weasel Cooperate guy explaining the whole unobtainium mining thing to Sigourney, who would already know why they are there wouldn't she? But I guess we the audience need to know somehow...

That's the point though, "Unobtainium" was actually the best thing about that..

As for that and all the rest, I warned you about your expectations. :carcus: Now it's almost like your dream for the movie has come true, from a standpoint of Avatar's reception and success, you'd think it must have lived up to your expectations, except the movie itself actually disappoints you to the point that you resent its success! Muahahaha! :ganishka:

skulllordseal.gif

SKuLL LoRD iZ PlEaSeD!!!

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
As for that and all the rest, I warned you about your expectations. :carcus: Now it's almost like your dream for the movie has come true, from a standpoint of Avatar's reception and success, you'd think it must have lived up to your expectations, except the movie itself actually disappoints you to the point that you resent its success! Muahahaha! :ganishka:

Haha, true indeed.

Griffith

Speaking of which...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/avatar-climbs-no-2-alltime-box-office

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Hurt Locker.

Second. It was a pretty good flick. It kind of wears you out in a good way.

As for the aforementioned Avatar talk: It was a 'neat' movie. As for the CG, I was expecting much much more. Golem left more of an impression on me than the "Nah-vee" did. Many moments were so rushed being I felt the needed to mumble, "Getthefuckoutofhere" to the person I went to see it with. How it's number 2? HYPE.

However, I'd like to bring up something. Titanic is the all time top grossing movie. However, don't you guys think piracy has held other movies back from throwing Titanic off its throne. It SO easy to download movies off the internet it obviously hurts ticket sales.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I still have no desire to see it. Waiting for someone to invite (pay) me.
I didnt have any desire to even be in the theater really, but at about the halfway point I realized the whole movie was like one Back To The Future ride at Universal Studios. When taken like that, it's a fun ride.

The generic setup for the movie left me uninvested in most of the major decisions made by characters. I didn't really care what was going on until toward the end of the final scenario. But honestly, it was all very well done, and I really can't deny that. I liked that the main character was cocky, and broke the rules you'd expect him to follow. It's a theme Cameron sets up early on, like when Jake first takes control of his Avatar body, he ignores the expected course. That's good writing =). If this were George Lucas, we'd have been subjected to at least 5 more minutes of scientific exposition before Jake broke through to the outside, which is really what the audience wants to see. There were some careful decisions made by Cameron in the screenwriting that paid off in the end for something really satisfying.

I thought the 3D was a true gimmick, and honestly, I don't think it'll last. One big criticism I have of the technology is that it forces foreground images into focus and everything else about the detail of the shot is sacrificed to achieve the 3D effect. That's bullshit. It's also distracting.

For instance, in one of the early scenes as Jake gets off the dropship, you're anxious to see the wide shot of the base. Well, bullshit debris and other characters keep coming in from the corners of the screen with the 3D effect, and detracts from the overall effect of the shot. Like my eyes constantly refocusing on the depth of field changes on-screen, anything NOT in 3D is just cast aside, so you lose the other detail in the shot.

Sorry, that won't cut it in most films. You can't just force one thing into focus and cast aside the rest. That's not good cinematography. That's called a gimmick. Also, because of the tinting of the lenses, the brightness of the entire film is toned down. Not a huge problem but it's definitely a hurdle.

All that said, I have to say, Im unsure if it was mind-trickery based on the 3D or something else, but many shots early on looked to me more sharp and detailed than something in standard 2D HD. It was like... H3D (you heard it here first, kids!).

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
I didnt have any desire to even be in the theater really, but at about the halfway point I realized the whole movie was like one Back To The Future ride at Universal Studios. When taken like that, it's a fun ride.

Yup, I felt that way too.

Walter said:
I thought the 3D was a true gimmick, and honestly, I don't think it'll last. One big criticism I have of the technology is that it forces foreground images into focus and everything else about the detail of the shot is sacrificed to achieve the 3D effect. That's bullshit. It's also distracting.

For instance, in one of the early scenes as Jake gets off the dropship, you're anxious to see the wide shot of the base. Well, bullshit debris and other characters keep coming in from the corners of the screen with the 3D effect, and detracts from the overall effect of the shot. Like my eyes constantly refocusing on the depth of field changes on-screen, anything NOT in 3D is just cast aside, so you lose the other detail in the shot.

I agree. As much as the 3d experience made it feel like a universal ride, I think I would have been able to appreciate the cgi more had I not watched it in 3d.

Walter said:
All that said, I have to say, Im unsure if it was mind-trickery based on the 3D or something else, but many shots early on looked to me more sharp and detailed than something in standard 2D HD. It was like... H3D (you heard it here first, kids!).

Haha, I made a comment like that to my friend early on and he said the exact same thing, H3D.

Proj2501 said:
However, I'd like to bring up something. Titanic is the all time top grossing movie. However, don't you guys think piracy has held other movies back from throwing Titanic off its throne. It SO easy to download movies off the internet it obviously hurts ticket sales.

Not that I'm addressing this to you, just felt like discussing it.You know, piracy does exist in movies, but it will never affect movies like it does when it comes to music.
Of course for a number of reasons. One big aspect, is movies have releases and theatrical runs that last weeks. Music Cd's have a release "day." Movies can be bootlegged, but for the most part its a quality factor I think, although there are some people who can say "oh screw quality of footage, I'll stick it out, and just watch this bootleg." But I think the majority of people prefer the best quality. So DVD's are more of interest. Unless you settle for a HD download or something. But would you prefer to watch a movie on your computer or TV? I would think the majority of people, the older audience especially prefers a TV.

For the most part, a lot of people have invested in huge home theater systems that are best utilized by buying a DVD that has features geared for such entertainment systems. Unless you invested in a computer entertainment system, you won't get the same experience. Where of course a CD, has no image, so its just sound quality, that's makes things more "acceptable" quality wise when it comes music. I don't think movies will ever be raped by piracy as the music industry has. When it comes to bootlegs really, I really think it comes down to do you want to a movie at computer chair, or on DVD while on your couch. Music takes less attention to get the best of what if offers, to get the full experience out of movie, you need to sit down and watch it. That's just my thoughts.

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
My thoughts exactly. You can't pirate a cinema experience.

While I do agree, you can't speak for everyone on the subject. I know a kid who already saw Avatar on his computer and has no desire to go the theaters now. I think it's retarded but some people, many people don't give a shit. Of course these are people that think Transformers was dope and Inglorious Bastards was boring. They can't appreciate cinema.

David Lynch on the subject, kinda... - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcNLEwf2pOw

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
there are some people who can say "oh screw quality of footage, I'll stick it out, and just watch this bootleg."

Many, many people.

Death May Die said:
But I think the majority of people prefer the best quality. So DVD's are more of interest. Unless you settle for a HD download or something. But would you prefer to watch a movie on your computer or TV? I would think the majority of people, the older audience especially prefers a TV.

You're so naive, it's cute. You think people don't burn the movies they download on DVDs and then watch them on their TV? Think again. Many of them do, and those who don't simply watch the movies on their TV using other means (a $10 cable suffices). Same thing for video games. Download a file, burn it on DVD, enjoy it. You must really not be tech savvy to not realize this.

Death May Die said:
For the most part, a lot of people have invested in huge home theater systems that are best utilized by buying a DVD that has features geared for such entertainment systems. Unless you invested in a computer entertainment system, you won't get the same experience. Where of course a CD, has no image, so its just sound quality, that's makes things more "acceptable" quality wise when it comes music. I don't think movies will ever be raped by piracy as the music industry has. When it comes to bootlegs really, I really think it comes down to do you want to a movie at computer chair, or on DVD while on your couch. Music takes less attention to get the best of what if offers, to get the full experience out of movie, you need to sit down and watch it. That's just my thoughts.

That whole argument is void, as demonstrated above. You don't have to choose a compromise. If quality is paramount, at most you have to wait a few months until a movie is uploaded in true DVD quality, but that's it. I'm not saying piracy is as bad for movies as it is for music mind you, just that the reasons you give don't hold much water. There are ways around everything and people have no problems finding them. What's more, some benevolent souls no doubt create tutorials explaining how to do it so that even the most clueless guy around can pirate something by following a step-by-step guide.

Oburi said:
While I do agree, you can't speak for everyone on the subject. I know a kid who already saw Avatar on his computer and has no desire to go the theaters now. I think it's retarded but some people, many people don't give a shit.

And it's true for all media, including comic books. Reading something on a screen can't replace holding a book in your hands, right? Wrong, as far as a lot of people are concerned. They don't care at all. Nor do they mind poor quality, as they move from a series to another without pausing to enjoy them a minimum. That's the reality of Internet these days.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I still have no desire to see it. Waiting for someone to invite (pay) me.
NightCrawler said:
My thoughts exactly. You can't pirate a cinema experience.

Shouldn't you go see the movie then, or are you pirating the elitist experience? =)

Check out this article on the race in Avatar, folks:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/some-see-racist-theme-alien-adventure-avatar-ap

My first thought is this is a more serious and interesting discussion than Avatar merits, though it does broach a larger subject. Also, there's a somewhat delusional moral idea that there be a savior of any kind in these scenarios, since in the reality of the cliche Avatar is based on, there are no saviors and the native peoples are usually massacred. The statement, "It would be nice if we could save ourselves" couldn't be more cruelly ironic on that note. The distortion is that there is a messianic savior at all, internal or external, not to mention the irony of quibbling about race in a fable about tolerance and unity (that cuts both ways too, obviously), which brings me to this line:

"Maybe there is something he does want to say and put across" about race, Bogle said. "Maybe if he had a black hero in there, that point would have been even stronger."

Yeah, that is a good idea... until you think it through and realize how that could be called racist too.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Oh you pest! :ganishka:

:iva:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.accesshollywood.com/harrison-ford-indiana-jones-5-id-love-do

Why'd I put this in here? Because I'm looking forward to seeing just how old Harrison Ford can get before they stop already. Plus, yesterday I made the "Shoulda made Indy 5 instead" remark after seeing an ad for Extraordinary Measures, the hightlight of which being when Ford yells out, "I ALREADY WORK AROUND THE CLOCK!" like somebody kidnapped/killed his wife/family. This one is great because you can adapt it to your daily life.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The full Avatar script just showed up online: http://www.foxscreenings.com/media/pdf/JamesCameronAVATAR.pdf

Here's the tentacle sex scene:

EXT. WILLOW GLADE

He puts his face close to hers. She rubs her cheek against his. He kisses her on the mouth. They explore each other.

Then she pulls back, eyes sparkling.

NEYTIRI
Kissing is very good. But we have something better.

She pulls him down until they are kneeling, facing each other on the faintly glowing moss. Neytiri takes the end of her queue and raises it. Jake does the same, with trembling anticipation. The tendrils at the ends move with a life of their own, straining to be joined.

MACRO SHOT — The tendrils INTERTWINE with gentle undulations.

JAKE rocks with the direct contact between his nervous system and hers. The ultimate intimacy.

They come together into a kiss and sink down on the bed of moss, and ripples of light spread out around them.

THE WILLOWS sway, without wind, and the night is alive with pulsing energy as we DISSOLVE TO —

LATER. She is collapsed across his chest. Spent. He strokes her face tenderly.

JAKE
Neytiri, you know my real body is far away, sleeping.

She raises up, placing her fingertips to his chest —

NEYTIRI
This body is real.
(she touches his forehead)
This spirit is real.

NEYTIRI
When I was first your teacher, I hated all Sky People. But you have also taught me.
(whispering)
Spirit is all that matters.

She lays her head down, against his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

NEYTIRI
I am with you now, Jake. We are mated for life.

JAKE
We are?

NEYTIRI
Yes. It is our way.
(innocently)
Oh. I forgot to tell?

He rouses up, making her look at him.

JAKE
Really, we are?

NEYTIRI
We are.

JAKE
It’s cool. I’m there.

He lays his head down, and her arms enfold him, sheltering him as he sleeps.

Wow! I just blue my load.
If this crap is as funny written down as in the screen, i'm watching this tomorrow.

Top Bottom