Movies to look forward to

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Proj2501 said:
Good man. I think it's worth seeing Aliens again and taking a minute to appreciate that *most* of what you see was done IN CAMERA. The Queen was a giant puppet for crying out loud and looks precious til today. The scurrying Facehuggers scene being done in reverse. When Bishop gets impaled and the Queen lowers herself from the dropship's interior my jaw dangled. It looked so real, so good. It was there. It was solid. It will be nice to see SOME movies in the future not rely on CGI, but $ talks.

The music was powerful and the acting was superb in Aliens. Hicks was the man, I could feel Ripley's emotions, Burk was a doosh nozzle and I wanted my own Bishop!

Who were Avatar's characters again? Oh, a watered down emo Hicks, Burks nephew and Vasquez version 2.0 who's now a pilot...

and tall smurfs.

Everyone who likes Aliens should own the dvd with the commentary/making of/bonus stuff, etc... Filmaking craft at it's best (and yes, 99% of the shots were done in camera). Even the soundtrack, which Horner complained he didn't have enough time to complete, is the best action score ever. Limitations and pressure is what drives talented people to do their best. Give them too much money and time, and you know they'll become too self-indulgent.

EDIT: For those who don't own the dvd, i've just found all 25 parts of the making of on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c300wmQ5d-g&feature=PlayList&p=E4D13F98DAC5517E&index=0&playnext=1

X

Xem

Did anyone stop to think for a second that the whole point of the aliens looking like us, ARE us?!

Seriously, did we watch the same movie?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
NightCrawler said:
EDIT: For those who don't own the dvd, i've just found all 25 parts of the making of on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c300wmQ5d-g&feature=PlayList&p=E4D13F98DAC5517E&index=0&playnext=1

Thanks for posting this!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
I just meant it wasn't a big deal either way.

Haha, no worries, I knew what you meant. I'm just embarrassed that I didn't realize the term had been around for so long; I thought Cameron had made it up himself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I never realized that people so close to him were so against his research, very interesting!
Hollywood Biopics are the best sources for information on historical figures. :slan:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Death May Die said:
This is insane. We totally dodged the Avatar discussion, for a "Aliens" discussion! Its Avatar, the worlds 2nd highest grossing movie of all time! You can't escape it, stop trying! hehehehehehehe

Hurry! Random Avatar related stuff!

I cannot condone this course of action, you guys are about to lose an Avatar advocate here. I already had to fight for that exclusion from the embarrassment, of which I'm not sure I deserve now. =)

Deci said:
I thought this looked promising: Creation - Story of Charles Darwin

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/creation/

I never realized that people so close to him were so against his research, very interesting!

There's controversy surrounding Darwin's work? Really!?

Speaking of, the movie's troubles finding an American distributor stem over the fact that its content is considered too divisive for American audiences, and according to gallup polls only 39% of Americans believe in the theory of evolution. I certainly hope they're at least considering it. =)

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
グリフィス said:
Griff asks Lith to please not speak in the third person. =)

Righto! *stops*

[quote author=グリフィス]Though, I've always argued that people get way too hung up on such things in sci-fi when it's just as unrealistic to deny the possibility of coincidence.[/quote]

No, no, you're misunderstanding my complaint. Human looking aliens are fine, just not much of an imagination stretcher, and if you're already spending umpteen million dollars on it why not stretch a bit? No, I was complaining that life forms that diverged so recently that they all use compatible nerve plugs manage to have wildly different body plans. It looks like what it is: they let Barlowe sketch up a bunch of the fauna and then had some other guy design the characters, and didn't bother to make the two designers' work compatible with each other. Barlowe's creature designs featured a cool answer to the design bug that all chordates have: we breathe and eat through the same pipe, which is stupid. But then they put that bug back into the character design, presumably because having everybody talk out of their shoulders would be way too weird.

Griffith

Got ya, I understand the inconsistencies and the validity of your complaints objectively, it's just stuff I kind of take that stuff for granted here because, to paraphrase Deci, the point ARE us! :troll:

Like you said, it's not really hard sci-fi, it was more like a fairytale or a Pixar movie, and shoulder breathers would be too weird for what best served that end, which was that the Navi be aliens that humans can easily relate to, even if it's not very creative. Also, I can't really hold a movie like Avatar accountable for not solving our apparent evolutionary faults. =)

X

Xem

グリフィス said:
There's controversy surrounding Darwin's work? Really!?

Speaking of, the movie's troubles finding an American distributor stem over the fact that its content is considered too divisive for American audiences, and according to gallup polls only 39% of Americans believe in the theory of evolution. I certainly hope they're at least considering it. =)

Wow. That's both embarrassing and depressing.

Griffith

Yeah, the term "evolution" covers such a broad range of scientific facts and topics at this point that most claiming not to believe in it don't even know what they're denying.

As for the movie, I see it covers his love for his religious wife, which is a good conflict, but I've always been more fascinated by they're not so evolutionary familial relation to each other. :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
グリフィス said:
Like you said, it's not really hard sci-fi, it was more like a fairytale or a Pixar movie, and shoulder breathers would be too weird for what best served that end, which was that the Navi be aliens that humans can easily relate to,(...)

Oh agreed, agreed, these be nits to pick only. Like going to Jaws and saying 'dude those tanks don't just explode like that'. Sure it would have made more sense to just give all the fauna an Earthly body plan if the Navi had to have an Earthly body plan, but getting to see the shoulder-bronchey guys was totally neat, so it's not like I'm actually peeved or anything. Yet even cool as the fauna was, knowing how out-there Barlowe is happy to get, it's a pity that so much of his mass-market stuff is... mass-marketable. :griffnotevil: It was all very compromisey. But still, all very cool to get to see. So yeah. In any case, yes, I'm done now. :troll:

Oh yeah, and blue Sigourney Weaver was so CUUUUUTE OMG I HAVE A CRUSH ON HER I THINK ALSO SHE HAD BIGGER BOOBIES FROM BEING PART HUMAN LOL

Oburi

All praise Grail
aufond said:
I'll be seeing Enter the Void next week at the Sundance film festival. $15 for one ticket, but I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Jesus, lucky you. Let us know how it was ok?

Oburi said:
Jesus, lucky you. Let us know how it was ok?

I'm sure I'll feel somewhat similar to how I did after I saw Irréversible the first time: Shocked, deeply disturbed, disoriented, depressed..

Gaspar Noé is definitely amongst the more profound directors working right now, and he doesn't even need to rely on shitty 3D glasses to visually blow your mind.

Oburi said:
Yea, he's really a great filmmaker. Have you seen I Stand Alone?

Oh yeah, of course. I'll make an effort to see anything this guy touches. I'm even really fond of his minor works, like this music video: http://www.letempsdetruittout.net/gasparnoe/index.asp?v=171

Good Lord! Book of Eli dropped Avatar to No. 2 after Avatar stood No. 1 for 4 weeks straight. But Book of Eli only kept it up for just one day! The following day Avatar took back No. 1 at the box office! Avatar still took home 10 million more than Book of Eli did over the weekend. (Counts for 5 weekends straight No. 1.) Internationally, Avatar is creeping up on Titanic's 1.8 Billion dollar hold with its own slowly increasing 1.6 billion cut. You can't kill it! :ubik:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni1427232/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Internationally, Avatar is creeping up on Titanic's 1.8 Billion dollar hold with its own slowly increasing 1.6 billion cut. You can't kill it! :ubik:
What happened to this promise of yours? :

Death May Die said:
Any how, I'm done supporting this movie, its doing just fine. Moving on.
Hmmmmm? :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247640/

I didn't realize there was a sequel to the great District B-13. Anyone know how it is?

Top Bottom