Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, what movies should I be excited for this year? Honestly, there's nothing I know of that I intend to see, unless I'm forgetting something. Help me remember :daiba:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
So, what movies should I be excited for this year? Honestly, there's nothing I know of that I intend to see, unless I'm forgetting something. Help me remember :daiba:

Yea Walter I remember you telling me that you couldn't wait for the Karate Kid remake with Will Smiths son as the kid and Jackie Chan as Mr. Han. Personally I think it's ridiculous, but to each his own I guess.

Oh and here is the link in case anyone thinks that's a joke http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155076/

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm looking forward to Iron Man 2. I'm hoping Robin Hood and The Wolf Man are good, but I'll wait until reviews start coming out before I get too excited. Toy Story 3 should be good, too. I'm a huge Pixar fan.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I don't care what anyone think I'm still looking forward to seeing:

Legion - http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/legion/
In the supernatural action thriller Legion, an out-of-the-way diner becomes the unlikely battleground for the survival of the human race. When God loses faith in Mankind, he sends his legion of angels to bring on the Apocalypse. Humanity’s only hope lies in a group of strangers trapped in a desert diner and the Archangel Michael.

Looks fun at least and after putting up with Avatar twice in a row I just want to see death rain from the heavens and the screams of virgins fill the air. [I want an action movie]

Oburi

All praise Grail
I recently watched the film Moon. It was very well done, no 2001, but still very good. It's one of those psychological thrillers that will be messing with your head days afterword. Oh and amazing performance by Sam Rockwell, he's really one of the better actors working today. This film was really great, I recommend it to all of you.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
I recently watched the film Moon. It was very well done, no 2001, but still very good. It's one of those psychological thrillers that will be messing with your head days afterword. Oh and amazing performance by Sam Rockwell, he's really one of the better actors working today. This film was really great, I recommend it to all of you.

I can't wait to see that one. I just watched District 9 and The Hurt Locker the other day and Moon is next on my list. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Rhombaad said:
I can't wait to see that one. I just watched District 9 and The Hurt Locker the other day and Moon is next on my list. :guts:

Yea it was amazing, and to think it was made for only 5 million is really incredible. The shots of the lunar surface were better than most high budget science fiction films, and the interior sets were equally amazing, much like science fiction films of the 70's and 80's, like Alien and such. For an indie film about being alone on the moon it was so impressive, I'm still amazed. I'm happy that films like this can still be made with a budget like that, it gives me hope.

I also watched the animated film 9, with the little robot dolls running around from bigger robots that looked like they came from the Matrix or War of the Worlds. Man was it terrible, I wasn't expecting anything too amazing but it was still disappointing. Just the fact that the main character,9, was so helpless at the beginning then with no explanation he started doing these crazy action scenes, I just didn't buy it. I feel like they gave it a pg-13 rating to be cool, but I felt like it could have been G. It was such a kid movie, but then again I don't think many kids would have the attention for dim lit, post apocalyptic animated short that was dragged out to movie length, it had no story. To top it off every time the character voiced by John C. Riley spoke i cracked up. I just can't take his voice seriously.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Which thread does Book of Eli belong in?

I kinda want to see it, but the reviews seem mixed. Sell me on it or turn me away!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:

I kinda want to see it, but the reviews seem mixed. Sell me on it or turn me away!

I haven't seen it, but my gut reaction tells me that it doesn't belong in this one.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:

I'm planning on seeing it and from word of mouth it is really good. I'm going to say this thread, just because I want to see another movie discussed that isn't Avatar.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Agreed about "9", cool concept, visual direction very nice, but no story direction at all. :sad:

Sounds like I'll have to check out Moon.

Sorry, I felt that Moon was overrated, and I was actually looking forward to it. The cinematography is retro-chic and very good, however the trailer seemed to raise more interesting questions than the actual film did. I felt that nothing is really asked of the audience because it's all so obvious and whatever isn't obvious is explained to you.

So, sadly, I was disappointed. It's not a terrible movie, by any means, but not nearly as engaging an experience as I could've hoped for.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Perineum Falcon said:
Sorry, I felt that Moon was overrated, and I was actually looking forward to it. The cinematography is retro-chic and very good, however the trailer seemed to raise more interesting questions than the actual film did. I felt that nothing is really asked of the audience because it's all so obvious and whatever isn't obvious is explained to you.

So, sadly, I was disappointed. It's not a terrible movie, by any means, but not nearly as engaging an experience as I could've hoped for.

Even though I enjoyed it more than you, I know exactly what you mean. The technical aspects of the film were more impressive than the actual story which, as you say, is spelled out for you about halfway through and you no longer half to keep guessing. To be honest I was expecting another twist towards the end of the movie, but it never came. I still loved it though, and that could be because I wasn't reading up on the film before I saw it, so there wasn't much hype on my part. Also between the lack of this "type" of film (indie science fiction) and the mostly crap sci-fi that has been coming out recently, Avatar aside for a sec, I was more relieved that this film even exists.

I saw it last night. I thought it was a good movie. Denzel's Eli kicks a lot of ass in it and is a man who won't be deterred from his path for anything. As most reviews will tell you there is a pretty big character twist at the end. The craziness of Oldman's character kinda reminded me of how he was in The Professional. Milla Kunis is alright. I don't think she's been memorable in anything shes done. She's still Meg from Family Guy, or Jacky from That 70's Show. But it was a movie that's really worth checking out.

Two big spoilers for the movie:
Eli is revealed to be blind, and the bible he's carrying around turns out to be written in braille.

You don't see any of them coming, but after seeing the one it makes you think back at previous things that would tip it off if you were really, really paying attention.

Just got back from Enter the Void. Gaspar Noé was there, along with the lead actor in the film Nathaniel Brown. The two gave a q&a after, but every question was so stupid it was embarrassing (Total production time? Total cost? Who would win in a cage fight against Lars Von Trier..) The movie itself, well, I don't want to reveal too much, but I've never seen/experienced anything quite like this, and don't really know if I want to anytime soon. Not to say it was bad in any way, quite the opposite in fact, but don't go into this expecting another Irréversible. It's much more meditative and drawn out (still clocking in at over 2 hours 40 minutes) allowing you to really form an emotional tie to it's characters and the tragedies that develop. I truly believe this to be the most depressing and disturbing movie he's done, as well as the most visually stimulating. It really can't be explained, it must be experienced.

Let me just end by saying, those familiar with the Tibeten Book of the Dead will possess a greater understanding of what the film's meaning is, as it was used as guidelines of sorts for the film. I'm vaguely familiar with some of these concepts, so I didn't quite catch the references until Gaspar Noé pointed some of them out afterward. Despite the torment this film exposes you to, I'd still like to read the Tibeten Book of the Dead in it's entirety and then see ETV again, as I'm sure I'd get even more out of it that way.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Awesome Aufond! I'm so jealous.

Walter said:

Tron

Not to be dreaded, but Avatar, broke the 2 billion mark over the weekend, (7th weekend straight #1) and is going to pass Titanic in a few days. I know we're pretty well done talking about avatar, but this what we were speculating about only a few weeks ago and now its actually happening. Now, just to see how far they can row the boat past the finish line.

Top Bottom