Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
but this what we were speculating about only a few weeks ago
I don't think "speculating" is the right term here. That implies you have little evidence to work from. Everyone saw this day coming, so "predicting" is better suited.

But yes, hoo-ray.

Has anyone seen this guy's review of Avatar? He also has a 7 part, very awesome and great review of the Phantom Menace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJarz7BYnHA&feature=player_embedded

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
Has anyone seen this guy's review of Avatar? He also has a 7 part, very awesome and great review of the Phantom Menace.

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion about the Phantom Menace review in the YouTube thread a few weeks back. This Avatar review started out boring, as he pointed out the obvious ways in which sympathy was manufactured. Then in Part 2 it gets hilarious.

Oburi

All praise Grail
ori said:

haha, I still really enjoyed that. The best part is that he's working on Attack of the Clones. Can't wait!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Yeah, there was a lot of discussion about the Phantom Menace review in the YouTube thread a few weeks back. This Avatar review started out boring, as he pointed out the obvious ways in which sympathy was manufactured. Then in Part 2 it gets hilarious.

I thought part 2 was more of the same, but the Star Trek references were much appreciated, especially the goofy aliens that looks like shower stalls. His affection for Titanic was intriguing. =)

Oburi said:
haha, I still really enjoyed that. The best part is that he's working on Attack of the Clones. Can't wait!

I hope it's not so long as the other, considering the time investment compared to the droning on to laughs ratio, that's going to need some improvement if I'm going to listen to him tell me why an obviously bad movie I've already seen is bad.

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
I hope it's not so long as the other, considering the time investment compared to the droning on to laughs ratio, that's going to need some improvement if I'm going to listen to him tell me why an obviously bad movie I've already seen is bad.

Yeaaa... but you know I honestly wouldn't mind if it was seven parts long. I mean when I first saw it had seven parts I was like "hell no, i don't have that kind of time. I'll just watch the first one". Half an hour later I was depressed because it was ONLY 7 PARTS!! there was still so much more to cover! I have to give the guy credit he's great at keeping you entertained and laughing for a long period of time while getting his point across. It just works, and I bet it will be as long as the first. :guts:

Griffith

Oburi said:
Yeaaa... but you know I honestly wouldn't mind if it was seven parts long. I mean when I first saw it had seven parts I was like "hell no, i don't have that kind of time. I'll just watch the first one". Half an hour later I was depressed because it was ONLY 7 PARTS!! there was still so much more to cover! I have to give the guy credit he's great at keeping you entertained and laughing for a long period of time while getting his point across. It just works, and I bet it will be as long as the first. :guts:

Get a hold of your life, Oburi. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://disneymusic.disney.go.com/albums/aliceinwonderland.html

If anyone is interested this is a sneak peak at the new soundtrack that Danny Elfman is doing for Alice In Wonderland. I must I enjoy it very much. Got that classic Elfman/Burton feel to it.

Stephen King's It: Major Motion Remake

http://my.spill.com/forum/topics/warner-bros-it-remake

Hell Yes! My 2nd favorite all time piece of Literature (I consider Berserk as #1) gets a chance of redemption 20 years after the 2 part installment made for tv movie on abc, with a much bigger budget but roughly half of the allotted run time as it's earleir incarnation to encompass a 1037 page novel.

Heath did an amazing Joker having to follow in Nicholson's footsteps, what actor can they cast to rival Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown?

I seriously freaking love this book, and while the abc movie is laughable by today's standards, when I was 8 years old it planted a seed in my subconscious that would terrify me for the next 17+ years! (but I suppose reading the book is really what kept that going)

Any other "It" lovers out there?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Re: Stephen King's It: Major Motion Remake

Jaze1618 said:
http://my.spill.com/forum/topics/warner-bros-it-remake

Hell Yes! My 2nd favorite all time piece of Literature (I consider Berserk as #1) gets a chance of redemption 20 years after the 2 part installment made for tv movie on abc, with a much bigger budget but roughly half of the allotted run time as it's earleir incarnation to encompass a 1037 page novel.

Heath did an amazing Joker having to follow in Nicholson's footsteps, what actor can they cast to rival Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown?

I seriously freaking love this book, and while the abc movie is laughable by today's standards, when I was 8 years old it planted a seed in my subconscious that would terrify me for the next 17+ years! (but I suppose reading the book is really what kept that going)

Yeah, I really liked the book and I agree about Tim Curry... I can't even think of It without hearing him in my head, that's gonna be hard to beat. Hopefully this will be Movies to Look Forward To material.

Re: Stephen King's It: Major Motion Remake

Dar Klink said:
Hopefully this will be Movies to Look Forward To material.

I'm hoping this thread won't get moved into movies to dread, at least until getting more information to solidify that this one is going to suck. Ewhen I made the my first post, I was half expecting to see it already moved come morning. :ganishka:

But I really am excited for to get more info on this. There are some news articles that go back as far as March or May of 2009. We might not have to wait to much longer for more details.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Oburi said:
http://disneymusic.disney.go.com/albums/aliceinwonderland.html

If anyone is interested this is a sneak peak at the new soundtrack that Danny Elfman is doing for Alice In Wonderland. I must I enjoy it very much. Got that classic Elfman/Burton feel to it.

My first impression was disappointment, it seemed like mostly generic fantasy movie stuff. Not very risky or unique (qualities I often associate with Elfman). I am generally a fan of Danny so perhaps its just the tiny previews giving me the wrong impression, though at this point nothing could get me excited for the movie itself which just seems awful.

Griffith

Was invited by a friend to the midnight showing of The Wolfman, and for my no expectations it was entertaining, though it was straightforward if not unspectacular. Liked the traditional wolf design and makeup, though at times it did look like a man in a wolf costume. Anthony Hopkins was fun of course, as were the wolf sequences with Del Toro. There could have been more to the finale though, but then, there could have been more to the whole movie; at least it didn't were out it's welcome. :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
My first impression was disappointment, it seemed like mostly generic fantasy movie stuff. Not very risky or unique (qualities I often associate with Elfman).

I have to agree; it's rather unimpressive.

Jaze1618 said:

Honestly? I think it's ridiculously overrated. I never saw the TV film, but to me the book is passable at best.

Huge fan of "It" here, but I'm not sure if I want to see this. Even at 4 hours the mini-series seemed insufficient when it came to presenting the story. Also; large parts of the book feels so dreamlike and out-of-this-world that I doubt it can be adapted successfully to the big screen.

I saw Shutter Island tonight. I loved the Departed, and Aviator for that matter, so its shouldn't be a surprise I ended up loving this movie. The movie had so many twist in turns, and pulls your thoughts and perspective inside out. Its well written, and if you pay good attention all the gears inside the films story works almost perfectly. I've been looking forward to this movie for a while now, and it paid off. I highly recommend seeing it! I LOVED it. :guts:

Note: It has great visuals, atmosphere, and great use of score. I kept going back to the dark watery passages in the Silent Hill games in my head.

Griffith

Sure, you could spend $10 to go see a sure downer like Shutter Island, or wait a few weeks and watch THIS:

ROGER CORMAN'S
DINOSHARK
dinoshark.jpg

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/02/syfy-teams-with-corman-for-dinoshark-pic.html said:
"Global warming causes the glaciers to break apart," Corman explains. "We start the picture with real beautiful shots of the glaciers falling into the ocean. The unborn egg of the Dinoshark that has been frozen for millions of years is released."

:isidro:

But wait, THERE'S MORE!?​
SHARKTOPUS!
DIRECTED BY ROGER CORMAN
sharktopus.jpg

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/02/coming-to-syfy-sharktopus-pics-.html said:
Syfy's original movies director Karen O'Hara Tweeted last week the network has greenlit a long-rumored "Sharktopus" movie -- and directed by B-movie king Roger Corman.

Wrote O'Hara: "Just got off the phone with the legendary Roger Corman who's doing a new movie for us this year. Yes, it's the long-rumored SHARKTOPUS! ... Spent half an hour discussing what a sharktopus should look like, how many mouths it should have and how it should kill. That's my job!"

sharktopus2.jpg

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/02/syfy-teams-with-corman-for-dinoshark-pic.html said:
the concept presented the filmmaker with a challenge. Corman might make creature features, but he wants them to be at least somewhat believable.

"'Sharktopus!' is more difficult because you can imagine a prehistorical crocodile like the Dinocroc, but there's no such thing as prehistoric half-shark, half-octopus," Corman said. "I tried to figure out how to do this."

The solution? The U.S. Navy has commissioned a group called Blue Water to genetically engineer a half-shark, half-octopus to help combat Somali pirate ships. Then things go wrong.

"It's fairly difficult to believe, but we only ask the audience to accept this one thing," he said. "After that, we take great care that everything else is logical from then on and is something that could happen."

Bravo! :ubik:

Dinoshark's egg hatches March 13th, followed by Sharktopus at a later date, look forward to it. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually a little excited these old Corman flicks are getting a modern treatment. I'm sure they'll be shit, but that's an homage to his work! :carcus:

Still, I wish Sharktopus was larger, like, say, 20x the size he's shown to be.

Griffith

Walter said:
Still, I wish Sharktopus was larger, like, say, 20x the size he's shown to be.

Well, those are just some artist's renditions of what a Sharktopus might look like, nothing official yet like the Dinoshark image. As that Syfy exec alluded to, we don't even know how many mouths it has yet or how it kills (I assume with its mouths, of which it should have eight =)! Speaking of Dinoshark, here's one of my favorite asides from those articles:

"Dinoshark," which debuts March 13, is a follow-up of sorts to Corman's "Dinocroc." Corman originally thought to do "Dinocroc 2," but Syfy executives discovered that, unlike theatrical audiences, TV movie audiences respond better to new-but-similar ideas more than direct sequels.

Ah, TV movie audiences, what a new-but-similar idea loving demographic to be a part of. =)

Just saw Shutter Island and honestly, I rather watch that movie over Avatar any day of the week. Shutter Island wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I left the theatre feeling the movie was worth the price of admission. It's been awhile since I've had that feeling.

Haha. New Corman cult shit will be great.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I saw Shutter Island tonight as well. I really didn't like it, and I think I may be the only one. Maybe because I was expecting more, but I felt extremely underwhelmed by the end. I honestly loved the whole movie up until the big shocker at the end, which I felt was pretty obvious.
Although well executed, I just felt that, ok another crazy person gets a lobotomy after and long and intricate, failed "recovery" method.
Big deal.

I loved how the story played out.
It makes you put your guard up, and then it starts to give you supporting facts to their claims that you feel are just a crime cover, so slowly you start to release whats going on. I thought that was pretty clever. I managed to stick to what was going on with the story so it didn't seem like a car crash at the end.
I found it pretty original. If any thing the story executed extremely well. But really I loved movies like "The Prestige, The Departed, Memento, and Fight Club." So this movie was made for me I guess.

Top Bottom