Movies to look forward to

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
グリフィス said:
Yeah, that was the biggest red flag, a little of her went a long way, probably past the point of diminishing returns just from watching the trailer. Nothing adds up to a cinematic fail faster than obnoxious kids that are supposed to amuse... I don't know who.

Ok I thought I might be the only person who might have felt this way. If there is ever a movie that needed to take away from the source material, it was this movie.

Anyways, I never really looked into Defendor and outright forgot about it being a movie (I confused it for Kick-Ass from looking at the posters, sorta). So far I like what I see, but I'll have to watch other trailers/clips to make sure it's a movie worth watching.

Just got back from Invictus.. As much as I love Clint Eastwood, I think I'll pass on his movies from now on, unless he goes back to his roots and stops with all this feel-good shit that appeals mostly to old ladies.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
aufond said:
Just got back from Invictus.. As much as I love Clint Eastwood, I think I'll pass on his movies from now on, unless he goes back to his roots and stops with all this feel-good shit that appeals mostly to old ladies.

It got 89% over at Rotten Tomatoes. So could you tell us what's wrong with it other than it's not an action movie? :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
It got 89% over at Rotten Tomatoes. So could you tell us what's wrong with it other than it's not an action movie? :???:

It doesn't star the guy in his avatar.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:

Actually, I did like it in ways. I'm glad to have seen it (well, most of it), and I may have been a little harsh in my earlier statement.

It's the true story of South African president Nelson Mandela's attempt to eradicate racism through the nation's Rugby team. For most of the movie, the focus is on Mandela and his method of politics. The sport of rugby serves as the backbone of the film, but takes a backseat to the characters. Then, in the last act, it focuses on the world cup and the act of Rugby itself, and turns into a typical inspirational sports movie. You know how the game is going to turn out, but it just goes on and on. It tries so hard to make the final victory have that much more of an impact, that it does just the opposite. It's hard for me to describe, but at this point I lost all interest and was just waiting for it to end. It's a nice, simple little film, and I enjoyed the first 3/4 of it, but I believe this execution of the final act was a fatal flaw that took away from the film as a whole.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
aufond said:
Actually, I did like it in ways. I'm glad to have seen it (well, most of it), and I may have been a little harsh in my earlier statement.

Well I see what you're saying, but I'll have to decide for my self when I watch it. I've liked the majority of his films he's released, especially Changeling, Gran Torino and Flags of our Fathers [still haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima, how is that?].

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/03/predators-sneak-peek-set-for-sxsw.html

First footage of Predators will be shown on March 13. I put this here because I am really looking forward to how this will look, and it will likely make up my mind about how I feel about the movie in general.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Before Alice in Wonderland I saw this trailer http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1633496/story.jhtml

which was actually the most entertaining part of the night.

Does anyone else think Tron Legacy looks pretty damn cool?

tron.jpg

Killer boots man.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I thought the trailer looked pretty cool, but mostly because I knew Jeff Bridges was in it. Still, could go either way (and as you know, in these cases, I always bet on disappointment =). Even his winning an Oscar worries me, for this might be his regrettable post-Oscar project. Speaking of which, I can't wait to see what Mo'Nique had in the pipeline, but that's a story for another thread. =)

And speaking of Jeff Bridges-related sequels that at least look pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQowwwwYa0

Love the new Rourke and Rockwell cheese in addition to Downey's, and especially the suitcase suit, but it looks pretty busy though, and as much as I like Don Cheadle, I hate it when they don't bring back actors from the original unnecessarily. Not that it matters much for a good popcorn flick, but then again, maybe continuity matters even more for a popcorn series.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I couldn't even make it through the first one. I always fell asleep around halfway through. I've never known if it was me or the film, because from what I've heard it's pretty good.

Oburi said:
I couldn't even make it through the first one. I always fell asleep around halfway through. I've never known if it was me or the film, because from what I've heard it's pretty good.

Are you talking about Tron or Ironman. I'm assuming Tron.

グリフィス said:
Love the new Rourke and Rockwell cheese in addition to Downey's, and especially the suitcase suit, but it looks pretty busy though, and as much as I like Don Cheadle, I hate it when they don't bring back actors from the original unnecessarily. Not that it matters much for a good popcorn flick, but then again, maybe continuity matters even more for a popcorn series.

I couldn't agree more グリフィス. While I think the change in actors in Ironman 2's case may be an improvement (I'm just not in love with the actor in the first movie), it still bothersome. At least to me. The Dark Knight also suffered from this: Katie Holmes' absence. Though I found it to be an improvement here as well. Still continuity-wise, it irks me.

I've never read a single Ironman but was able to enjoy the first flick. It was popcorn you know. I honestly think the second will be as enjoyable.

What will face SO MUCH MORE SCRUTINY will be (if it's ever made) is the next Batman movie.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
Are you talking about Tron or Ironman. I'm assuming Tron.

No i'm talking Iron Man. I loved Tron! For some reason Iron Man was just so boring to me. But I'm willing to give it another shot., I guess.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
I couldn't agree more グリフィス. While I think the change in actors in Ironman 2's case may be an improvement (I'm just not in love with the actor in the first movie), it still bothersome. At least to me. The Dark Knight also suffered from this: Katie Holmes' absence. Though I found it to be an improvement here as well. Still continuity-wise, it irks me.

Rant alert!

I almost cited that exact same example, which I personally find the most egregious because the lack of continuity totally undermined the establishment of their relationship, which was supposed to be a priority in general for this incarnation of Batman. Plus, she just looked bad in it (I think I told the story of the guys behind saying, "No man... don't do it!" in genuine disgust when he leaned in to kiss her =), the role and her performance didn't make up for any of that, and the most galling thing, they killed her off anyway, so it's not like this was going to be something viable going forward, for which they'd need a long term commitment. So, what was the point? If I'm just going to blow her up anyway, I'd have gone out of my way to get Holmes back. That would have been perfectly tidy; instead, it's a stain on an otherwise great movie.

Proj2501 said:
I've never read a single Ironman but was able to enjoy the first flick. It was popcorn you know. I honestly think the second will be as enjoyable.

Yeah, I thought the best thing about the first one was it's tone. It knew what it wanted to be, played to its strengths, and did it just right.

Proj2501 said:
What will face SO MUCH MORE SCRUTINY will be (if it's ever made) is the next Batman movie.

Hopefully, instead of feeling the burden to repeat past success, it'll give them motivation to do something a little different. Give us a Batman movie like we've never seen before, well, at least not in live action. :carcus:

Oburi said:
No i'm talking Iron Man. I loved Tron! For some reason Iron Man was just so boring to me. But I'm willing to give it another shot., I guess.

It isn't exactly action packed, but I'm sure you've sat through less entertaining fare. I enjoyed a lot of little things along the way, such as The Evil Dude, "Toooneeeey." =)

グリフィス said:
It isn't exactly action packed, but I'm sure you've sat through less entertaining fare. I enjoyed a lot of little things along the way, such as The Evil Dude, "Toooneeeey." =)

Lmfao. There's also a line which, if you don't find funny, then you're a nazi.
ironman_bigslideshow1.jpg

"And now,*dramatic pause* I'm gunnnna kill you."

Top Bottom