Movies to look forward to

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Rhombaad said:
I'm actually looking forward to Kick-Ass. The guys I listen to on the radio in the morning are saying that the trailers do not do it justice whatsoever. One guy says it's like seeing a Tarantino movie for the first time. Has anyone here read the graphic novel? If so, what did you think?

The little girl in the trailer killed it for me. If it wasn't for her, I'd be all for seeing this movie.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The little girl in the trailer killed it for me. If it wasn't for her, I'd be all for seeing this movie.

I'm a little skeptical about her, as well. The actress seems pretty annoying based on the trailers.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Rhombaad said:
I'm a little skeptical about her, as well. The actress seems pretty annoying based on the trailers.

It's enough of a problem for me that I think I'll be distracted by for the rest of the movie. So, yeah I'm skipping this one.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
!!!! :schnoz:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/29/legendary-pictures-producing-new-godzilla-film/

Please oh please do this right~
I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, but I can't say I'm thrilled about the prospect.

Me, I'm crazy for Godzilla movies... plus coming from the Dark Knight studios, one can hope. The potential that a 400 foot radioactive dinosaur that spits atomic breath with a penchant for destroying cities and fights other huge monsters has is pretty overwhelming. The Godzilla franchise is just begging for a high quality treatment.

Godzilla... I've been waiting...

Here's something that will be a guilty pleasure.
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/theotherguys/

Gaspar Noë's Enter the Void clips!

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-nsfw-french-trailer-for-gaspar-noes.html

unfortunately, I can't watch this right now (i'm ^ actually at work), so everyone tell me what's it like and your first/second/third impressions! Yay! :ubik:

The Perineum Falcon said:
Gaspar Noë's Enter the Void clips!

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-nsfw-french-trailer-for-gaspar-noes.html

unfortunately, I can't watch this right now (i'm ^ actually at work), so everyone tell me what's it like and your first/second/third impressions! Yay! :ubik:

I actually got to see the film a few months ago at the Sundance film festival, and I'm still recovering.. It's one of the darkest, most insane, powerful films I've ever seen. I know it was too much for a lot of people, even those who loved Irréversible. I'd say it's comparable to 2001: A Space Odyssey as far as delving into the infinite truths of life and death, and the psychedelic regions of the human mind.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My girlfriend and I saw Kick-Ass on Friday and we both loved it. Surprisingly, Hit-Girl was probably my favorite character. Her intro scene was one of the funniest things I've seen all year. I don't know what all the controversy was about, either. I thought the movie was pretty tame compared to some other films I've seen.

^^Agreed. Saw it last Friday. I was fairly surprised by it. It had the right mix of cheesiness and action.

The scene with the teacher had me falling out of my chair!!
"If anyone needs to get ahold of me,call the mayor." :ganishka:

The movie lived up to it's name. :ubik:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, it was a fun flick. Great popcorn entertainment. I'm in the middle of reading the graphic novel at the moment and the movie is actually pretty tame compared to the comic.

Kick Ass was def. a good time.

I read the book prior to seeing the movie and aside from the
jet pack
, I was pleased to see that not many things were changed. Kind of wish Kick Ass didn't get
the girl
though and I'm happy Big Daddy ___________ like in the book. Changing that would've been very, very queer.

What really brought a smile to my face was the use of 2 pieces of music from different films.
-'For a Few Dollars More' by Ennio Morricone (although I so wished they used for the last scene.)
-'In a Heartbeat' from the 28 Days Later Soundtrack

Mark Strong also fuckin' owns. Everybody's acting was solid honestly.

Fritz Lang's Restored 'Metropolis' Gets Trailer & Theatrical Release Dates

via: The Playlist

It only took 83 years. But thanks to a miraculous discovery of a 16 mm print in a Brazilian film archive, featuring nearly half an hour of never-before-seen footage, Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" is now back to nearly exactly the director's original cut.

Cinephiles rejoice and anti-b&w/silent movies take note -- this is one you probably should give a shot. Way ahead of its time, "Metropolis," chronicled a futuristic city in which the underclass workers stage a rebellion against their upper class bosses. At the time, the film's special effects were a marvel, and even today, they remain impressive and influential. Lang's vision can be seen in nearly every sci-fi that has followed and the story is on that remains timeless. The original film ran about 2 1/2 hours, but after the film's premiere, "Metropolis" was never seen in its proper form again. From being projected at the wrong speed, to being mercilessly edited by theater owners wanting a shorter runtime, the film hasn't been seen in its original form in over eight decades. The newly found footage restores the film almost completely to its originally intended length and edit (some edits of the film had sequences out of order). Thankfully, decades later, we can now enjoy the original cut in all (well, most) of its glory.

In advance of the restored "Metropolis" hitting DVD and BluRay later this year, Kino will begin a theatrical rollout of the film across the country. We think the film is best experienced theatrically and we definitely encourage readers to check it out should it hit their town.

And there's a trailer at the link. :ubik:

Haha, I wish. If it'd only play somewhere a few hours from me I'd attempt the journey, but alas, nothing seems close enough from that little list they posted there (the closest is Tampa, 7 hrs away). I imagine that you, mon ami, will have a pretty good better chance at seeing this miracle in the cinema (what, with you residing within or on the outskirts of a filmic Mecca) at some point.
It'd be most wonderful to see it in a grand movie palace, orchestra and all!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, I wish. If it'd only play somewhere a few hours from me I'd attempt the journey, but alas, nothing seems close enough from that little list they posted there (the closest is Tampa, 7 hrs away). I imagine that you, mon ami, will have a pretty good better chance at seeing this miracle in the cinema (what, with you residing within or on the outskirts of a filmic Mecca) at some point.

Damn, that's the downside of living in a giant country... As for me, you're probably right, it's bound to happen sooner or later. I'll need to keep my eyes peeled!

It'd be most wonderful to see it in a grand movie palace, orchestra and all!

Hell yeah. The full experience. :badbone:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
God damnit, the nearest city it's showing at is San Francisco. How is this thing not showing in the U-District in Seattle?! :mozgus:

Ah well, I'll be picking up the Blu-ray when it's released. :serpico:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
For this sort of occasion, it's best to live in the metropolis of filmmaking itself; it's literally playing within walking distance of my school. :badbone:

Oburi

All praise Grail
ori said:
Can't wait for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKhChMHhBN8
\

lol Jesus. Some of those clips were from the Grindhouse fake trailer. I wonder if they really worked those scenes into the movie.

"I want you!...

... to speak english". :ganishka:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
There isn't anything special about this movie other than it's another Grind House movie that is taking place during Arizona's Immigration bills [depending on the person; it's either awful or no big deal]. The cast looks mediocre, just like it's action sequences. This movie isn't something to dread, but it's not going to be worth looking forward too.

Top Bottom