Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ramen4ever said:
I don't know.. It looks like it'll be an entertaining popcorn flick. Probably not as fun as the Losers but close.

It's more like a late competition to The Expendables, with all these old, big hollywood names coming together to do action scenes. And Helen Mirren looks so out of place behind a machine gun. Like seriously, she doesn't sell that tough chick kind of attitude. You can tell she's being directed on how to shoot and kill bad guys.

Wow I realized how much I loathe this film based on the trailer alone. Btw, anyone notice how Bruce Willis seems to be doing a lot of movies that are based on graphic novels or comics lately? And Morgan Freeman seems to be .... well taking every-fucking-offer he gets.

Oburi said:
It's more like a late competition to The Expendables, with all these old, big hollywood names coming together to do action scenes. And Helen Mirren looks so out of place behind a machine gun. Like seriously, she doesn't sell that tough chick kind of attitude. You can tell she's being directed on how to shoot and kill bad guys.

I believe the impression Helen Mirren is giving you is exactly what she's meant to. The idea is to make them seem like an unlikely old bunch of geezers who you wouldn't expect to kick ass. I do wonder how they could find anyone else like her to fill that void

Oburi said:
. Btw, anyone notice how Bruce Willis seems to be doing a lot of movies that are based on graphic novels or comics lately? And Morgan Freeman seems to be .... well taking every-fucking-offer he gets.
Other than this, Surrogates and Sin City, what else has Willis done in that category? I also think if Freeman is in demand, then good on him. He's never usually a let down in the role he is given anyway and he's getting to the point now where he probably wants to do as much work as possible before he gives it all up.

Oburi

All praise Grail
JezzaX said:
I believe the impression Helen Mirren is giving you is exactly what she's meant to. The idea is to make them seem like an unlikely old bunch of geezers who you wouldn't expect to kick ass. I do wonder how they could find anyone else like her to fill that void

No, in Red they are former black-op agents, so even though they are older, Helen Mirren is suppose to be some kind of gun expert. I can't accept it, she does not seem at all comfortable shooting up enemies and it doesn't seem natural holding a gun at all. I had the same problem with Angelina Jolie in Wanted, some chicks just don't pull off that tough badass type to me. It's just too unbelievable. Now compare that to Weaver as Ripley or Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner, THEY pulled it off. Actually, maybe it could be a director thing :guts:

It's not supposed to be a serious movie, it looks like a fun movie, and I'm gonna watch it because I'm a Helen fan, a Malkovich fan heh.

EDIT: The Warriors Way - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6Qi9QaL0Lg

The trailer gives away a lot, but those camera angles look pretty good when he's fighting.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Jackass 3D tonight at midnight! Can't wait, of course I'm being totally responsible by going even though I got to wake up early for work tommarow.

IncantatioN said:
It's not supposed to be a serious movie, it looks like a fun movie, and I'm gonna watch it because I'm a Helen fan, a Malkovich fan heh.

The trailer gives away a lot, but those camera angles look pretty good when he's fighting.

Looks like Jonah Hex with Ninja's. I'll pass.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Jackass was incredibly funny! It was great seeing the crew again, even though this time around they were completely sober due to Steve-O's recovery. So between that and the fact that most are pushing 40, it's slightly toned down from other Jackass movies. Having said that, it's still incredibly impressive. I was laughing out loud uncontrollably several times and even had too look away because I seriously thought I was going to puke in my seat. The 3d was only used for a few stunts, but it was cool, seeing paintballs going by your head, they used super slow motion for some of the stuff too and that looked nice as well. Some cool guest cameos too, Spike Jonze, CKY and Sean William Scott, even if they didn't really do much.

Considering it's probably going to be the last jackass I thought it was awesome.

Jesterhead

I ain't mad at it!
Oburi said:
Considering it's probably going to be the last jackass I thought it was awesome.

Good to know! Me and the GF are going to see it tonight!

Anyone looking forward to seeing Sucker Punch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5RaZupoO4

Looks mildly ridiculous, but I'm still :troll: interested.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Priest ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yCvIp8e8Q&feature=channel ... anyone a fan of the graphic novel?

Wait a second, is that supposed to be based on the manhwa? If so... why didn't you post it in the Movies to Dread thread? If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have even made the connexion.

IncantatioN said:
Jesterhead said:
Anyone looking forward to seeing Sucker Punch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5RaZupoO4
IncantatioN said:
Priest ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yCvIp8e8Q&feature=channel ... anyone a fan of the graphic novel?

Seriously, have you guys forgotten that the Skullknight has a movies to dread thread. If so have a look at Griffiths post. :iva:

Aazealh said:
Wait a second, is that supposed to be based on the manhwa? If so... why didn't you post it in the Movies to Dread thread? If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have even made the connexion.
Yeah it is.

Yeah Slan, but everyone feels probably differently about movies. For instance, I think Jackass 3D needs to be a movie to dread, but some people love it :iva:

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Yeah Slan, but everyone feels probably differently about movies. For instance, I think Jackass 3D needs to be a movie to dread, but some people love it :iva:

This from the guy that watches Jersey Shore. Now THAT is truly mind boggling.

Haha I know right ... and I also regard 2001: A Space Odyssey as the best Sci-Fi movie of all time, so far. The Jersey Shore watch for me is outta pure selfishness, it's to see what stupid lengths that group would go to, but it's just to watch the drama they create for themselves. They get into fights for the stupidest reasons. Hey, I used to watch Bold And The Beautiful back home, so be gentle :schierke:

The Hobbit's finally be greenlit :guts:

The two films based on "The Hobbit" are now greenlit and will begin principal photography in February 2011, under the direction of Peter Jackson, it was jointly announced today by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer, New Line Cinema, Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer, Warner Bros. and Steve Cooper, co-Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.

Jackson, who directed all three "Lord of the Rings" films, will helm the two films back-to-back, telling the story of "The Hobbit" in two parts. Jackson will utilize groundbreaking visual effects and his incomparable story-telling to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's novel to the big screen. Both Hobbit movies will be filmed in Digital 3-D, using the latest camera and stereo technology to create a high quality, comfortable viewing experience. Jackson also co-wrote the screenplays with Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70790

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aside from filming it in Digital 3D, that's great news. He should have been the director all along, but it all worked out in the end. That's not to say that I don't love Guillermo del Toro's work (I do), I just think this works better for the purpose of consistency.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Rhombaad said:
Aside from filming it in Digital 3D, that's great news. He should have been the director all along, but it all worked out in the end. That's not to say that I don't love Guillermo del Toro's work (I do), I just think this works better for the purpose of consistency.

I'm not sure consistency means much in this case, the tone and pace of The Hobbit is different than the Lord of the Rings. If anything I hope Jackson can handle a more light-hearted narrative, though I'm sure he'll do fine.

Oburi

All praise Grail
It had to be in 3d, didn't it. Hopefully it feels less like a ride at universal studios and more like an actual film. No more of this alice in wonderland crap.

I hope they won't abuse it and take it easy on the gimmickery. I think Avatar wasn't so bad in that sense, it can look good in 2d even though it's shot in 3d, and I don't remember many scenes that HAD to be in 3d to be effective.

Eh, with some of the movies recommended here I might as well throw this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2nAOdBUlw

I suspect it'll end up in the other thread as well, but if you take my homecountry's lousy and unimaginative movie-production into consideration I don't think it'll be too atricious. More importantly; there aren't that many movies about classic trolls nowdays.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
D-Scape said:
Eh, with some of the movies recommended here I might as well throw this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2nAOdBUlw

I suspect it'll end up in the other thread as well, but if you take my homecountry's lousy and unimaginative movie-production into consideration I don't think it'll be too atricious. More importantly; there aren't that many movies about classic trolls nowdays.

Considering the budget (or absence thereof) and the fact it doesn't seem to be taking itself all that seriously, I don't think it looks all that bad. Plus, yeah, traditional monsters for once.

Rhombaad said:

Onward Toro! To the mountains of madness! :void:

Top Bottom