Movies to look forward to

Oburi

All praise Grail
dwarfkicker said:
Not a fan of the Iron Man movies?

I don't want to speak for Eluvei, but I agree with him and for me personally, I've fallen asleep a total of 4 times trying to to watch the two Iron Man movies. I like old school Favreau (Swingers), but Iron Man is like NyQuil for me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Never cared about Green Lantern, and the trailer sure didn't change that. Thor trailer didn't horrify me, but it didn't show me enough to give it the benefit of the doubt either, it's ceiling is probably "ok" at best, and it could much more easily be terrible. BTW, I recently saw The Incredible Hulk, and let me just say I was pining away for the days of Ang Lee and Eric Bana.

Oburi said:
I've fallen asleep a total of 4 times trying to to watch the two Iron Man movies. I like old school Favreau (Swingers), but Iron Man is like NyQuil for me.

Not to defend the Iron Man series (I've only seen the first one, which was fun), but that speaks more to your own focus on it, doesn't it? I mean, I've fallen asleep during maybe a couple movies in my entire life (and it's well documented I'm not pleased by everything), and Iron Man, though not short I recall, wasn't anymore sleep inducing than most (especially with Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges chewing the scenery).

Also, concerning old school Favreau, don't you need more than one class to constitute a school? Favreau didn't even direct Swingers, and I'm not sure that Iron Man movies and the like don't make up both his old and new school when you consider his work to this point.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Not to defend the Iron Man series (I've only seen the first one, which was fun), but that speaks more to your own focus on it, doesn't it? I mean, I've fallen asleep during maybe a couple movies in my entire life (and it's well documented I'm not pleased by everything), and Iron Man, though not short I recall, wasn't anymore sleep inducing than most (especially with Downey Jr. and Jeff Bridges chewing the scenery).

My focus? In this case, maybe. I know I've said it before on these boards, the only movies to have ever put me to sleep in movie theater were Transformers (both) and Iron Man (both). I tried watching them again on dvd, again fell asleep, don't think I even made it halfway through. I'm not even saying they are bad films (they actually look semi entertaining) but my disinterest gets the better of me I guess. Iron man is just not for me. And believe it, I NEVER fall asleep during a movie (unless I mean to), especially when I paid to see it in theaters.

Also, concerning old school Favreau, don't you need more than one class to constitute a school? Favreau didn't even direct Swingers, and I'm not sure that Iron Man movies and the like don't make up both his old and new school when you consider his work to this point

Well, it's true he hasn't done much, but I think it's enough to constitute "old school" status. For example, what I meant is that I enjoyed him during his "indie years", when he was in Swingers (he wrote, starred and produced, I consider it his movie) and it's semi-follow up Made (that he wrote, starred, directed, etc). Back then I thought he had some promising future but so far his big Hollywood breakthroughs include making Iron Man, its sequel and starring in retarded (literally) comedies like I love You Man, Four Christmases and Couples Retreat (which I just watched the other night and wanted to kill myself (he wrote that by the way)).

Yea John Faverau has enough credentials for me to judge him on, seeing as how I kept a close eye on him ever since I first saw Swingers many years ago. Needless to say, he hasn't done anything nearly as good and I no longer care what the hell he does anymore.

Griffith

Oburi said:
My focus? In this case, maybe. I know I've said it before on these boards, the only movies to have ever put me to sleep in movie theater were Transformers

What's funny is I slept through Transformers too at a friend's house, unfortunately it wasn't the first time I had to endure it (much better when unconscious, I have to say).

Oburi said:
Yea John Faverau has enough credentials for me to judge him on, seeing as how I kept a close eye on him ever since I first saw Swingers many years ago. Needless to say, he hasn't done anything nearly as good and I no longer care what the hell he does anymore.

Fortunately for me, I don't suffer awareness of his decline, given a choice between Swingers or Iron Man, I'd just as well sit, or sleep, through Iron Man again.

BTW, I bet Kevin Smith wishes he had that career.

I wasn't expecting anything out of Thor (or the upcoming Conan) all these months, and the trailer sort of bumped it up a notch. Sure there might be inconsistencies with the story, as is almost every adapted movie (franchise) today but it (thank god) doesn't look as bad as The Legend Of Chun-Li or Dragonball Evolution.

slan69 said:
I am looking forward to the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. The fact that this part includes zombies is a little annoying, I have had enough of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AqJww06bw&feature=related

I don't think the trailer showed enough of the movie. :schierke:

Originally I was looking forward to it but that trailer was quite disappointing. I wasn't impressed by Blackbeard, or the mermaids and zombies.
I'll probably still watch it though, just to see Depp and Rush in action.

When I think of Blackbeard I always think of the powerful Blackbeard from One Piece, I can't help it.

I'll go for the new POTC movie, looks like fun. Penelope = MEGA bonus. She's uuuuuuuuber hot :farnese:

X

Xem

Ian McShane is an amazing actor and will probably steal the show. Also, as much as I love Keira Knightley I'm glad to see that her character and Orlando Bloom aren't reprising their roles.

Still waiting for a "real" pirate movie to come out one of these days... it's bound to happen, right? I vote for a Black Bart movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartholomew_Roberts

Deci said:
Ian McShane is an amazing actor and will probably steal the show. Also, as much as I love Keira Knightley I'm glad to see that her character and Orlando Bloom aren't reprising their roles.

I feel the same way. I don't know exactly why, but for some reason their characters always rubbed me the wrong way. I found them very annoying.

I can't wait for On Stranger Tides, especially considering the fact that Astrid Bergès-Frisbey and Gemma Ward will be playing mermaids in the film. That's all they need to do to put my bum in the theater seat. :carcus:

I'm also glad to see Geoffrey Rush is returning for this movie. Captain Barbossa was my favorite character in the first three films.

Griffith

While we're on the subject of POTC4 I hope they make Ocean's 14 too, and bring back Bernie Mac for it since we're already resurrecting the corpses of these dead franchises!

[/mean]

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Amazing how they keep doing all these POTC sequels just based on the fact that the first movie was surprisingly not awful.

Yeah, the sequels made up for that and more a long time ago but the audience still hasn't caught on to the fact that this series officially stinks. It's to the point I have trouble even appreciating the first one anymore, and this latest seems like a disingenuous cash grab even by their own standards. The only potential saving grace is that by scaling back some of the overproduced bullshit (again, over money, not quality) it accidentally regains some of the charm of the original, like by having an actor as the bad guy again instead of a CGI puppet abomination.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
The end of the trailer pretty much spoils the movie.
Yeah, that's often the case with thrillers. But sadly, I think most audiences wouldn't be able to do the internal logic necessary for that to be considered a spoiler.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well I don't know if its a movie I would go see in theaters but its getting great reviews and it seems like its worth checking out.

Top Bottom