Movies to look forward to

Walter said:
Trailer for the next Pixar movie, Brave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYg0VgPy6Uk
I got Ico/Shadow of the Colossus vibes from it. Looks a hell of a lot more interesting than Cars 2.

Edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VdONYkKFmQ. This actually looks interesting to me, even more because this is being directed by Tarsem, the director of The Cell and The Fall.
Tarsem marvel when it comes to cinematic eyecandy, but can the story deliver as well? Prepare to find out...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
D-Scape said:
I got Ico/Shadow of the Colossus vibes from it. Looks a hell of a lot more interesting than Cars 2.

Maybe, but it's got more of a "I've seen 10,000 iterations of this theme already" vibe to me. Cars 2 arguably looks unique by comparison.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Maybe, but it's got more of a "I've seen 10,000 iterations of this theme already" vibe to me. Cars 2 arguably looks unique by comparison.
It's a pretty mundane trailer, I'll grant you that. But I think Pixar has proven over the years that they can make imaginative movies, even when working inside shallow concepts (Ratatouille comes to mind) so I don't see the validity in discounting this one so early in the game.

But yeah, if we just forget that Cars ever happened, their track record speaks for itself.

Griffith

Walter said:
It's a pretty mundane trailer, I'll grant you that. But I think Pixar has proven over the years that they can make imaginative movies, even when working inside shallow concepts (Ratatouille comes to mind) so I don't see the validity in discounting this one so early in the game.

But yeah, if we just forget that Cars ever happened, their track record speaks for itself.

Well, the validity is that it looks like an uninspired premise from what we know, but that was only a minute and Pixar has built credibility, so one can't just write it off, which I'm not. I'm just sayin,' everything about it that was trying to turn me on rubbed me the wrong way instead.

Of course, Disney's traditional animation studio looked infallible in the 90's, but everything must come to an end, maybe Cars 2 is only the beginning! That's right, I'm poised to turn on Pixar. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Of course, Disney's traditional animation studio looked infallible in the 90's, but everything must come to an end, maybe Cars 2 is only the beginning! That's right, I'm poised to turn on Pixar. :SK:
I have to hope that Cars 2 was only made under the gun from Disney for merchandising bucks. But yeah, I think we've all wondered whether this would be the start of a dark chapter for Pixar. That's why I'm kind of glass-half-full over Brave. I have to believe...! :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I have to hope that Cars 2 was only made under the gun from Disney for merchandising bucks.

What about the Monsters, Inc. prequel? Made under the gun, too? :iva:

P.S. Not a fan of the Brave trailer either, but I read a synopsis that had more promise. Still, if anything struck me it's that the girl's minimalistic design doesn't look so hot to me compared to, say, Rapunzel's in Tangled (which I saw recently).

X

Xem

The new and final Harry Potter movie is coming out this Friday, along with it will be a teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. Who's going to see it in IMAX 3D? :daiba:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Deci said:
The new and final Harry Potter movie is coming out this Friday, along with it will be a teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises. Who's going to see it in IMAX 3D? :daiba:

I'm going to see it this weekend, but not in IMAX 3D. I enjoyed the first half, so hopefully I'll enjoy the second, as well.

Griffith

I'll be looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises teaser, though that name is still horrid. I wish he'd just taken The Dark Knight Returns to protect is from some future hackneyed Zack Snyder adaptation (hopefully he's not so hot after his pet project went in the toilet).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I wish he'd just taken The Dark Knight Returns to protect is from some future hackneyed Zack Snyder adaptation (hopefully he's not so hot after his pet project went in the toilet).
Great, you just JINXED it! You'd better go knock on a goddamned Redwood right now to ensure that that doesn't ever, EVER happen.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I don't know why Miller is so enthralled with Snyder. 300 was okay as hokey entertainment with decent special effects goes, but Watchmen was a mess and Sucker Punch was a travesty, from what I've heard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be good, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much based on what we've seen of his work.

Griffith

Walter said:
Great, you just JINXED it! You'd better go knock on a goddamned Redwood right now to ensure that that doesn't ever, EVER happen.

Oh, it's already TOO LATE! :sad:

Rhombaad said:
I don't know why Miller is so enthralled with Snyder. 300 was okay as hokey entertainment with decent special effects goes, but Watchmen was a mess and Sucker Punch was a travesty, from what I've heard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be good, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much based on what we've seen of his work.

Well, let's keep our fingers crossed that it never happens, this is still all talk coming from Snyder after all, though yes, Miller is certainly no Alan Moore when it comes to guarding the integrity of his (and others) work. I think my favorite article is the hilariously titled, "Zack Snyder Is Still Adamant He Will Make A "Dark Knight Returns" Movie...One Day!"

The Snyde One said:
“So for me, I’ll probably be in my twilight years directing one movie every now and then — made-for-TV movies and stuff like that,” laughed the 43-year-old filmmaker, imagining a time about two decades from now. “And I then will have a chance, maybe.”

“It will be only 20 years from now, and it’ll be Christian Bale in his 50s,” Snyder said of his dream scenario. “And by then, Chris will be over it and I’ll roll up and be like, ‘Let’s make a ‘Dark Knight’ movie!’”

“A scenario like that is probably the only way I could see it happening,” added Snyder, who is currently hard at work on pre-production of the ass-kicking-girls action flick “Sucker Punch.” “[But Bale] would be tired of it, I’m sure.”

What a vivid imagination, as Indiana Jones would say. I wonder if Frank Miller will watch it at Alan Moore's house in London? :iva: Anyway, the life-affirming epilogue to this story is the line about pre-production on Suck Punch. Snyder should be worried about his next job whether he'll be able to get work directing TV movies in twenty years, not about getting DKR. Here's to his Superman movie bombing and putting this talk to rest forever so he doesn't reach his potential as Paul W.S. Anderson on steroids.

Margin Call ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZ-ke1kJrA

Dream House ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrvjqcgVG4M

I like the look of Dream House a lot, but the trailer gives away waaaay too much.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Oburi said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/

I'm surprised we don't have a trailer for this yet.

Since that movie is completed for a long time and have been sitting in the editing room forever, i believe it might be a mess.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Unfortunately, now we've already seen the most entertaining parts of movie.

True, as NightCrawler pointed out above it did seem to give away everything of worth. Oh well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tzur said:
How about the new Planet of the Apes prequel? I think it looks pretty good. At least it can't be worse than the 2001 remake.

Really? It looks fucking terrible to me.

Top Bottom