Movies to look forward to

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've heard good things, as well, but I don't know if I should see it or not, based solely on principle. I remember hearing that Tintin's creator, Georges Rémi, said he never wanted The Adventures of Tintin to be adapted to film.

m said:
I've heard that The Adventures of Tintin is not bad so I'm getting interested in seeing it. Has anybody here had the chance to see it?
I've seen it on Monday. It was alright, but nothing special. I was expecting something out of this world and kinda got disappointed. I'd say 7.4 out of 10.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
I've seen it on Monday. It was alright, but nothing special. I was expecting something out of this world and kinda got disappointed. I'd say 7.4 out of 10.
Wow! So specific, down to the tenth decimal point! Why not 7.3?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I've heard good things, as well, but I don't know if I should see it or not, based solely on principle. I remember hearing that Tintin's creator, Georges Rémi, said he never wanted The Adventures of Tintin to be adapted to film.

I think you're the only person I've ever seen call Hergé by his full name without needing to. :iva: Anyway, Hergé loved cinema, and Tintin was adapted into movies before, so I don't think Spielberg's movie, good or bad (I haven't seen it), is a big deal. I do recommend you the old TV series though, it was a really faithful and perfectly executed adaptation. The music's awesome as well.

Walter said:
Wow! So specific, down to the tenth decimal point! Why not 7.3?
Hmmm, I don't know, 7.3? Seems a bit low, I would definitely say 7.4.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Haywire, could be a good movie. A female version of Jason Bourne is on the loose. :carcus:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
frankencowx said:
I'm not sure if this is something to look forward to or not??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

I'll give it this, the worst thing about it is their title fonts and textures.

Konketsuji said:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Haywire, could be a good movie. A female version of Jason Bourne is on the loose. :carcus:

You mean like Hanna? Which delightfully deviated from the Bourne trappings... until the end. Anyway, I believe this movie with the all-star cast and director that's ultimately an action vehicle for Gina Carano (!?), of all people, was already posted in the other thread. It looks like a forgettable outing for Soderbergh, though if Carano is any good, who knows? Her acting reminds me of Law & Order's Elisabeth Röhm.

Konketsuji said:

Dr.Legato said:
I really like it, say 8,5/10 :ubik:

I think I will go see it, I hope can go before the end of the month.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Handmade_lion said:
I don't know if anyone else has heard about this or not.

Derek (DirectDK), I suppose you might have.

But here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFN78LHCiY

New Kenshin movie!!
The quality of the animation isn't very impressive. And are we sure it's a movie, and not a TV series? The ending lists a URL of "kenshin-tv."

The manga ended over a decade ago. Why are they still making movies?

Helllo Walter,

From my friend's description, he says it will be a movie retelling of the Kyoto arc.

And from my understanding, it is indeed a poor quality animation house that this will be coming out of, though I don't object to it too strongly, personally. As for the reason, I believe it is to maybe commemorate Kenshin's 15 year anniversary?

Handmade_lion said:
Movies to dread much? As much as I'm excited I'll be watching Kenshin, I'm not excited it's a re-boot/ re-telling from Misao's point of view. I feel like putting in the old DVDs for a Kenshin kick rather than watching this. Even the music's the same with the exception of added drums/ percussion for effect. And, the art is SHITTY, reference Saito and Aoshi.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Movies to dread much? As much as I'm excited I'll be watching Kenshin, I'm not excited it's a re-boot/ re-telling from Misao's point of view. I feel like putting in the old DVDs for a Kenshin kick rather than watching this. Even the music's the same with the exception of added drums/ percussion for effect. And, the art is SHITTY, reference Saito and Aoshi.

Yea I agree. In fact last night while trying to fall asleep I did just that. I forgot how good those first few episodes are form the Kyoto Arc. Btw, I have the first two seasons (episodes 1-60 or something) and the movie + the OVA's and the manga. Is the third season any good or worth watching? I mean I'm older now so I'm not sure how much I could even handle but I heard it was terrible, but at the same time I regret never watching it in the first place.

Yeah, I think it ends on episode 61 or 62 and thereafter the 3rd season kicks in with half of it being about his battle with Shogo Amakusa and the other half with the Black Knights. Shogo Amakusa's arc felt like watching Superman vs Nuclear Man (from the movie - just to clarify my reference - one tries to up the other). I'd watch it just to check out Kenshin in action, the fights are fun, the story is not. The Black Knights arc was just underwhelming and unnecessary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Is the third season any good or worth watching?
By the time the anime caught up to the end of the Kyoto Arc, they had exhausted the source material. The manga was ankle-deep in the flashbacks, which were adapted several years later into the OAVs. So the remaining seasons of the TV show were 99% filler. And they are abysmally bad.

As good as the Kyoto Arc was at the time (you know, when I was in high school...), I really can't imagine an animated movie could properly convey everything, and beyond that I don't think it's necessary at all. It just strikes me as a cash grab from fans of the series, while bringing nothing new to the table. Why not properly adapt the last arc of the manga instead of rehashing the old material?

Oh wait, I could use these same arguments over the Berserk Saga! :ganishka:

Walter said:
Oh wait, I could use these same arguments over the Berserk Saga! :ganishka:

Mmhm, I've been finding making some Kenshin/Berserk comparisons lately. I think for one of my 20 point tweets I speculated the Berserk film might be what Reflections was to Kenshin. I heard it had very nice animation, but adapted the story unfaithfully.

X

Xem

Ralph Fiennes is making a directorial debut with Shakespeare's Coriolanus:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/coriolanus/

Could be hit or miss? I'm interested anyway.

Also Spielberg's up-coming Lincoln movie released a shot of Daniel-Day Lewis all dressed up... apparently he's hasn't dropped his accent for the movie since March and he's addressed as Lincoln on set et cetra.

ddllincoln1a1322691236.jpg

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Deci said:
Ralph Fiennes is making a directorial debut with Shakespeare's Coriolanus:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/coriolanus/

Could be hit or miss? I'm interested anyway.

Also Spielberg's up-coming Lincoln movie released a shot of Daniel-Day Lewis all dressed up... apparently he's hasn't dropped his accent for the movie since March and he's addressed as Lincoln on set et cetra.

ddllincoln1a1322691236.jpg

Typical Day Lewis.

Top Bottom