Movies to look forward to

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's among the more crackpot franchise plans I've ever heard (especially for a movie series that isn't exactly full of blockbusters). They should probably just focus on making one more good movie and go from there. Army of Darkness II sounds like fun.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
That's among the more crackpot franchise plans I've ever heard (especially for a movie series that isn't exactly full of blockbusters). They should probably just focus on making one more good movie and go from there. Army of Darkness II sounds like fun.
The whole thing reek$.

Griffith

Walter said:
The whole thing reek$.

It also kind of reeks of fan hopefulness/tone deafness. Bruce Campbell's quote is basically 95% making fun of the idea before saying yes (so it's debatable whether the punchline is that it is or isn't happening), and the site that reported the overall franchise plan said the new Dead director might have just been joking, so... we'll see. My guess is that they'll keep making movies and this all might become a self-fulfilling prophecy. These things are always fluid anyway, but remember these words from Rocky IV, following Apolla Creed's tragic death in his exhibition match with Ivan Drago, "What started out as a joke has turned into a disaster!" =)

Army of Darkness 2 - CONFIRMED! Sam Raimi directing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iBNYldUDMo

“Are you going to make a sequel to Army of Darkness?”

“The last one was twenty-two years ago,” replied Campbell. “I just haven’t been racing to do it. Sam Raimi is just a little bit busy making the biggest movies in Hollywood. I use to be busy. Now I’m not. That’s why I’m here.”

When the fan told him a lot of people would want to see it, Campbell said, “Ash would have to stop occasionally from chasing some deadite to catch his breath. Maybe we could do that, I guess. That would be exciting. Fight in a walker. That would be alright. Hit them with my cane. Fake them out, have a fake heart attack, distract a zombie. I like it.”

Then Campbell got more serious, and he added, “Alright sir, the answer is yes.”

Then on Twitter - https://twitter.com/fedalvar
“@thielebenjamin: Hey @fedalvar will you be directing the Army Of Darkness 2 movie?” Sam Raimi will!

No clue on when shooting would begin or a possible release date, but this is still great news.

There is more complete analysis on comicbook.com - http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/10/18/bruce-campbell-confirms-he-will-do-army-of-darkness-sequel/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
New trailer for X-Men Days of Future Past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Lots of call backs in that video, some better than others. I will watch this movie.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
New trailer for X-Men Days of Future Past: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

Lots of call backs in that video, some better than others. I will watch this movie.

I lost interest in that the moment Vaughn left, and still have no interest in seeing it.

Was that a fan-made trailer? John Murphy then Henry Jackman with a tune from First Class and finally ending with Hans Zimmer with Time from Inception. What a wreck. Plus, the trailer doesn't look very interesting ... makes it look like it's all about Wolverine, again. Not sure why they brought the old cast back, it's like they pulled a Spock from the Star Trek reboot. Sigh, I'll still check it out. Maybe wait for a BR release depending on reviews on here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Was that a fan-made trailer? John Murphy then Henry Jackman with a tune from First Class and finally ending with Hans Zimmer with Time from Inception. What a wreck.
It's clearly not fan-made... And generic trailer music, while shitty, is par for the course these days.

Plus, the trailer doesn't look very interesting ... makes it look like it's all about Wolverine, again.
I didn't think so.

Not sure why they brought the old cast back, it's like they pulled a Spock from the Star Trek reboot.
Because they're crossing two time streams. And what was wrong with the way Spock was implemented in the ST reboot? I thought it was well done.

It was just a weird music theme transition hehe : p

I got a bit frustrated watching it last night, sorry about that ... I put it out on Spock who was pretty cool in the reboots. Re-watched it at work ... here's my beef - First Class was pretty cool and you're introduced with all those characters, most of them have just had their first big fight by the end of the movie. Old movie characters have had many movies to be established in. McAvoy and Fassbender's relationship hasn't had time to breathe as much as their older selves. So now, it's a bit odd because you're supposed to care for what the newbies do but you don't even know them that well? It's almost as if First Class wasn't needed to make Days of Future Past, if that makes sense? I don't know how it works in the comics cos I haven't read any. It would've been awesome to see another movie or two with this fresher generation and then jump into a cross-over. With older generation actor ages, it could have been difficult 4 or more years from now, I get that.

Deci

I think the trailer lacked Sentinels, severely.

Pretty cool they included Blink from Age of Apocalypse, that's my favorite X-story from the comics. I'm still excited. =)

edit: In the comics they travel from the future to the present, so if they go by that logic at all then this is still very much a First Class movie, even though to us, First Class is in the past. Confusing, but potentially comforting. They are ret-conning the old X movies basically, minus Wolverine's character. I think.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think that since they are still in the middle of post production with a lot of effect shots unpolished they tried to focus on a more character based trailer?? I'll see it though for sure. It certainly has a huge cast, the old generation and first class with Wolverine connecting the two.

It's been a while since I've seen the other movies but in X3 didn't Professor X die as well Jean Grey/Phoenix? And also didn't a bunch of mutants lose their powers? Are they going to try to explain any of that or is it just universally accepted that X3 was shit and therefore isn't canon to the other movies??

Griffith

The trailer didn't blow my skirt up, but there's plenty of better trailers for dreck that everyone whoops it up for and then... surprise, it's crap. So, I'm holding out hope based on the continued potential of this project that the trailer being a little understated or even underwhelming is merely a sign it's different from such fare, and that it won't be crap. Sure, in general my feelings on the probability of something being good or not is to always assume not until proven otherwise, but like Walter I will be seeing this (fuck, I saw The Wolverine).

Johnstantine said:
I lost interest in that the moment Vaughn left, and still have no interest in seeing it.

Really? Interest in X-Men depends on auteur Mathew Vaughn now? All the Singer produced films, including Vaughn's, have been decent. It's not like First Class was some great film on it's own that transcended X-Men (totally fucked with it too if we're being picky), but it capitalized on it effectively. Though, against Last Stand and the Wolvernes it's a masterpiece, sure.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bah, the trailer serves its purpose; it's hard for me to see how its execution by itself can raise any sort of emotion from anyone, especially if they're not even a fan of the comic to begin with. Bottom line is that this movie has the potential to outdo all those that preceded it.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Really? Interest in X-Men depends on auteur Mathew Vaughn now? All the Singer produced films, including Vaughn's, have been decent. It's not like First Class was some great film on it's own that transcended X-Men (totally fucked with it too if we're being picky), but it capitalized on it effectively. Though, against Last Stand and the Wolvernes it's a masterpiece, sure.

Sadly, yes. First Class did for X-men what Dark Knight did for Batman. It wasn't ground breaking by any means, but it definitely got my attention. Singer's X films never did anything for me anyways.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Sadly, yes. First Class did for X-men what Dark Knight did for Batman. It wasn't ground breaking by any means, but it definitely got my attention. Singer's X films never did anything for me anyways.

First Class is one of Singer's X-Films, he co-wrote and produced it, just as Vaughn still co-wrote this one (so he didn't exactly leave). Giving sole credit to Vaughn is as misguided as saying Singer propped him up. So, if you like First Class so much I'd think you would have some interest in a follow up by the same people. I'm not saying don't have reservations, but not for some misplaced loyalty to a director as opposed to the team he's still a part of. We all have too much of a director fetish as it is when the reality is that it takes a village (See Lucas, George). Anyway, I suppose you'll be checking out Vaughn's secret service movie starring Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga instead? =)

Here's a clip from Charlie Countryman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqULZxzStQ and here's a full trailer if you're interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WDjpm_ius

People involved - Mads Mikkelsen, Rupert Grint, Til Schweiger, Melissa Leo

The Broken Circle Breakdown trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umjruify6lg

Maidentrip trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl6c9ucviho

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
First Class is one of Singer's X-Films, he co-wrote and produced it, just as Vaughn still co-wrote this one (so he didn't exactly leave). Giving sole credit to Vaughn is as misguided as saying Singer propped him up. So, if you like First Class so much I'd think you would have some interest in a follow up by the same people. I'm not saying don't have reservations, but not for some misplaced loyalty to a director as opposed to the team he's still a part of. We all have too much of a director fetish as it is when the reality is that it takes a village (See Lucas, George). Anyway, I suppose you'll be checking out Vaughn's secret service movie starring Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga instead? =)

Thats the main reason why i plan on giving this one a fair shot and seeing it in theaters. I liked Singer's first two X movies and I liked First Class so this combination of the two has a lot more going for it, I think.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:

No, not really. Days of Future Past is the most overrated X-Men story IMHO, so it's really the bigger reason why I'm not going to see it.

I concede that I will most likely watch it when it leaves theaters, but I won't be paying the ticket cost to see it on the big screen.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Days of Future Past is the most overrated X-Men story IMHO, so it's really the bigger reason why I'm not going to see it.
I think historical context is pretty important here when considering its value. Keep in mind there wasn't anything like it in comics at the time. It was very forward thinking, and compelling alongside the regular drivel. It's also such an iconic and influential scenario that it has since been mimicked to death (including other X-Men writers, of course), potentially degrading its legacy.

I'm with Griff though on Vaughn. I re-watched First Class the other night and concluded the strength of it isn't in the director's chair. It's primarily strong for some snappy writing (mostly in the beginning, shit gets wonky toward the end), and stellar acting from the primary cast members. There is some embarrassing shit in this movie, but it's still probably my favorite X-Men movie. It's a great first step, and this next movie could build on it. I'm not ridiculously hyped, but I am optimistic, and the trailer wasn't a turn off to me.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I think historical context is pretty important here when considering its value. Keep in mind there wasn't anything like it in comics at the time. It was very forward thinking, and compelling alongside the regular drivel. It's also such an iconic and influential scenario that it has since been mimicked to death (including other X-Men writers, of course), potentially degrading its legacy.

I'm with Griff though on Vaughn. I re-watched First Class the other night and concluded the strength of it isn't in the director's chair. It's primarily strong for some snappy writing (mostly in the beginning, shit gets wonky toward the end), and stellar acting from the primary cast members. There is some embarrassing shit in this movie, but it's still probably my favorite X-Men movie. It's a great first step, and this next movie could build on it. I'm not ridiculously hyped, but I am optimistic, and the trailer wasn't a turn off to me.

I know what you mean. I still didn't care much for it, though. But, to be fair, I was never a fan of the X-Men universe. I always thought it existed in some sort of alternate reality, away from the 635 Marvelverse. I mean, think about it, in all of those X-Men comics, regular humans are against mutants, but once you step outside of them and read something like Avengers or Spider-man...mutants are accepted. Given, the X-Men explores it, but it just always seemed off to me since it's a shared universe.

And, yeah, to me the strength in the movie was in Fassbender (I mentioned earlier how much I love him). He's what got me to watch the movie. Vaughn just got the credit since he was in charge, so to speak. Some of his other movies are just okay, while others are...more than okay?

What it comes down is that I don't care for Singer as a director, regardless of the cast.

Deci

X-Men-_Days_of_Future_Past_40.jpg

Now if they can just get the helmet right, we're on to something!

Deci

Man, ya that doesn't look too bad, though I guess we'll have to wait to see it in it's context to really get the right impression. It looks to me like they already switched out the one from the end of First Class

vlcsnap-2011-07-07-21h16m16s103.png

Though no matter how I look at it, it's all a huge step up from,

magneto1.jpg

No offense to McKellan, those X-Men movies suffered being a bit before studios began realize that (for the most part) the comic costume can be pulled off if done right. Ultimately hopefully one day we'll land here,

magnetogreatest9.jpg

All the characters were much cooler-looking during the Age of Apocalypse, just check out Rogue there in the background, and there's even Morph all the up in the top left. Magneto also led the X-Men in honor of Xavier in this timeline. Wolvie was missing a hand and not even part of the X-Men (I think that'd save the movies a little, First Class did just fine without him)! Sorry I realize I just X-Men nerded out, don't mind me. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
All the characters were much cooler-looking during the Age of Apocalypse, just check out Rogue there in the background, and there's even Morph all the up in the top left. Magneto also led the X-Men in honor of Xavier in this timeline. Wolvie was missing a hand and not even part of the X-Men (I think that'd save the movies a little, First Class did just fine without him)! Sorry I realize I just X-Men nerded out, don't mind me. :griffnotevil:
Yeah, but their mouths... I recently revisited some of the Age of Apocalypse stuff just to see how it held up. Not well, my friend... Not well. Scenario? Awesome. Writing? Fucking abysmal. The character designs are still neat in general, but everything else is pretty terrible.

Top Bottom