Movies to look forward to

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Speaking of which, the last movie made like a gazillion dollars, couldn't they have invested in a better on set Ultron for the actors to respond to? Or least borrow a Cyberman costume and plug some mo cap crap on it. Also, who thinks that was actually James Spader in there?

Yeah, but these candid, on-set shots always make the costumes look like utter garbage. Remember that Batman versus Bane FINAL BATTAL shoot that leaked?

Ultron is a cool villain, but I'm not so sure it translates to a good MOVIE villain, necessarily.

I thought the next Avengers movie would involve Thanos...? That being said, I have no idea how you'd make a battle between Thanos and fucking Captain America interesting or believable at all...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Yeah, but these candid, on-set shots always make the costumes look like utter garbage. Remember that Batman versus Bane FINAL BATTAL shoot that leaked?

Oh yeah, and like we said at the time you can't put any actual stock in that. Minus the movie magic these guys will always look like very attractive cosplayers. These were fun though. =)

Walter said:
Ultron is a cool villain, but I'm not so sure it translates to a good MOVIE villain, necessarily.

I pretty much have faith in Whedon to do a decent job with whatever he does. Saw The Avengers for the second time not long ago and was actually more impressed with it; my expectations were maybe too high the first time, it really handled all those characters well, better than their own showcase movies. Aside from the aforementioned obligatory orgy of cartoon action at the end and the scene of Loki big badding in Germany that doesn't... quite... work, it was impressively crafted (there was more that could go: Black Widow's intro was gratuitous, basically anything between her and Hawkeye). Anyway, I'm betting on his talent for entertaining genre writing until he proves me wrong.

Walter said:
I thought the next Avengers movie would involve Thanos...?

Sadly it seems that despite that awesome tease Thanos is still too big for the big screen. That was the coolest takeaway from that whole movie in my opinion, "They're doing Thanos!? Wow, they're not holding back or limiting the scope of what they can do in the movies anymore, anything is possible!" Just kidding, they're totally limiting it still! Look forward to Thanos teases in Guardians of the Galaxy and every other Marvel movie ultimately leading into some disappointingly small scale and fatally compromised adaptation of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline in Avengers 3, where Thanos tries to take over New York. It'll be the equivalent of the symbiote/black costume/Venom adaptation in Spider-Man 3, "Here it is, but not really so much at all!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Saw The Avengers for the second time not long ago and was actually more impressed with it; my expectations were too high the first time, it really handled all those characters well, better than their own showcase movies. Aside from the aforementioned obligatory orgy of cartoon action at the end and the scene of Loki big badding in Germany that doesn't... quite... work it was pretty impressive (there was more that could go: Black Widow's intro was gratuitous, basically anything between her and Hawkeye). Anyway, I'm betting on his talent for pitch perfect genre writing until he proves me wrong.

As always, Whedon soars in dialogue and character cocktails, and it was neat to see that paired with big-budget action finally after so many sorties on the small screen.

Sadly it seems that despite that awesome tease Thanos is still too big for the big screen. That was the coolest takeaway from that whole movie in my opinion, "They're doing Thanos!? Wow, they're not holding back or limiting the scope of what they can do for the movies, anything is possible!"

I had the same reaction: WHOA! WHAT? HOW...? I remember attempting to explain to my wife why it was significant that they were teasing him in an AVENGERS movie, and failing. Yeah, it'll be too bad if he's reduced to merely a cameo, even if it's understandable.

Deci

Griffith said:
Sadly it seems that despite that awesome tease Thanos is still too big for the big screen. That was the coolest takeaway from that whole movie in my opinion, "They're doing Thanos!? Wow, they're not holding back or limiting the scope of what they can do in the movies anymore, anything is possible!" Just kidding, they're totally limiting it still! Look forward to Thanos teases in Guardians of the Galaxy and every other Marvel movie ultimately leading into some disappointingly small scale and fatally compromised adaptation of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline in Avengers 3, where Thanos tries to take over New York. It'll be the equivalent of the symbiote/black costume/Venom adaptation in Spider-Man 3, "Here it is, but not really so much at all!"

To be fair they do this in the comic books too, at least during the ~5 years I was picking up every issue of multiple Marvel series. They'd have random background events unfolding during more minor focal events lasting months and months, sometimes years, finally cultivating in the BATTLE TO END ALL BATTLES, except, wait, that event was really setting up the NEXT BATTLE, and so on and so forth. That's the problem (from my perspective) with a lot of American comics, the infinite blowing up of the balloon until it's just too damn big and jumbled. Then you have to have a NEW 52, or HEROES REBORN, or CRISIS OF INFINITE EARTHS, or what-have-you to retcon a bunch of shit and "sort of" start over.

The major main one I followed was Onslaught, culminating in the entire Marvel Universe dying outside the mutants and Spider-Man (he showed up late), then next week we had HEROES REBORN, which was.... forgettable (being nice). That was when I stopped collecting.

I imagine that'll happen in the MCU when Sam Jackson finally throws in the towel. :serpico:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Deci said:
To be fair they do this in the comic books too, at least during the ~5 years I was picking up every issue of multiple Marvel series. They'd have random background events unfolding during more minor focal events lasting months and months, sometimes years, finally cultivating in the BATTLE TO END ALL BATTLES, except, wait, that event was really setting up the NEXT BATTLE, and so on and so forth. That's the problem (from my perspective) with a lot of American comics, the infinite blowing up of the balloon until it's just too damn big and jumbled. Then you have to have a NEW 52, or HEROES REBORN, or CRISIS OF INFINITE EARTHS, or what-have-you to retcon a bunch of shit and "sort of" start over.

The major main one I followed was Onslaught, culminating in the entire Marvel Universe dying outside the mutants and Spider-Man (he showed up late), then next week we had HEROES REBORN, which was.... forgettable (being nice). That was when I stopped collecting.

I imagine that'll happen in the MCU when Sam Jackson finally throws in the towel. :serpico:

Those are the reasons I stopped reading Marvel. DC has sort of toned it down a bit, but they still do it. Marvel is fucking awful about it. I tried to jump on the wagon again, but realized I needed to go all the way back to Dark Reign to really be "caught up" (I bailed after Secret Invasion).

Teaser for Let Us Prey just came out, looks intriguing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2fnLntATUo

IMDB - An enigmatic stranger is detained in a remote police station and gradually takes over the minds of inmates and staff.

Nicholas Cage's movie with Ty Sheridian (Mud, Tree Of Life) called Joe looks good ... stop around the 1 min mark cos it sort of spoils after - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2C0HMu_YvE

Trailer for Fincher's new flick Gone Girl starring Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9IZkt9XkzQ

It unfortunately reveals a lot, so stop somewhere in the middle if you like. The author's got two of his books being adapted into movies this year, this's one and the other is Dark Places.

Griffith

I believe the author is a woman, one of my employees left that very book at work. Anyway, when I saw it I couldn't help but laugh at the titles of her other works, "From the author of Sharp Objects and Dark Places..." :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Trailer for Fincher's new flick Gone Girl starring Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9IZkt9XkzQ

It unfortunately reveals a lot, so stop somewhere in the middle if you like. The author's got two of his books being adapted into movies this year, this's one and the other is Dark Places.

What do you do when you go to the theater and they play trailers before the movie? Close your eyes and block your ears?

If I can't avoid it, I can't. Outside of the theater, I have more control or the choice of not spoiling it for myself. Knowing who's involved or a line/ two of the synopsis is good enough. Trailer's aren't like teasers anymore, they often reveal more than what they should in my opinion. It's also fun not knowing what to expect.

Mike Cahill and Brit Marling's new movie I Origins has me interested, they teamed up for Another Earth 3/4 years ago which was a good (though slow-burn) sci-fi movie. IMDB - A molecular biologist and his laboratory partner uncover evidence that may fundamentally change society as we know it. and trailer if you wanna check out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPuoWzLjhFo

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:

I don't know the full story of the book/movie, but I didn't think it spoiled anything explicitly. It doesn't follow the format of revealing each major plot beat in a story, like some spoilerific trailers do... I thought this was a pretty well put together trailer, all things told.

You're right, it's different than most spoiler-laden trailers, sorry about that. It probably stemmed from my frustration with trailers vs teasers or the fun of going to see it with as little knowledge about the film. Ben's character looks suspicious but that's probably part of an elaborate set up to make him the fall guy or something! It's Fincher, so my hopes are high.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Ben's character looks suspicious

Sure, but the lack of certainty means that's just another mystery that wasn't necessarily there had you not watched the trailer. It introduces a variety of disconnected possibilities, none conclusive, and all delivered without direct narration, which is what I liked about it.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
IncantatioN said:

Kind of interested in seeing this movie for the sheer reason that it was filmed in the town I lived in for 6 years during my undergrad.

Griffith

I'm not really looking forward to a movie with so many large moving parts it's bound to self-combust, but I'm already the last poster in the other thread, and this doesn't look too bad, so...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5710490/ben-affleck-batman-and-batmobile-first-photo

First image of Batfleck. Somewhat like I expected, a more natural and faithful comicbook design (not combat armor), though I wish the ears were taller and sharper (they're so damn rounded, I guess for that natural look). I get the Miller/DKR inspiration (especially the logo), but in practice he looks a bit like Catman or something (maybe it's just the angle and in motion it will better capture the signature look they're going for). In any case, I'd rather they'd gone the other direction with over the top tall and especially sharp ears (like even moreso than the Burton/Schumacher suits). Then he'd be the spitting image of the Arkham games design for better or worse. Still, maybe this will be better when we see the real deal since this is just a test shot. I've got to hand it to them though, the hi res closeup of his head looks like the God damn Batman. The previous suits pale in comparison as far as still imagery goes, and it's growing on me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not looking forward to this impending train wreck at all, but I don't mind the design. The shorter ears are definitely a departure, but I think they go a long way to make the costume slightly more realistic / less cartoony. Of course, I'm also being affected by the Dark Knight Returns vibe I get from it overall. So, call me biased.

Can't believe I'm talking about Batman ear size improving my expectations for a movie. :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wait. So does this mean you're actually looking foward to a Zack Snyder movie Griffith? Didn't you steamroll me for saying I was going to see Sucker Punch years ago? :casca:

Griffith

Oburi said:
Wait. So does this mean you're actually looking foward to a Zack Snyder movie Griffith? Didn't you steamroll me for saying I was going to see Sucker Punch years ago? :casca:

Considering my initial disclaimer and how Sucker Punch turned out, I believe the appropriate punctuating emoticon for your post is actually this one: :troll:

I have to admit though I've come a long way on Snyder (that doesn't amount to much of course, but hey), I truly believe his talent for visuals and action (and Michael Bay's =). As my earlier posts attest, I always had faith in what his Batman would look like, to the degree that I'm actually slightly underwhelmed here, but that may be the point.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I've always been partial to the short-eared bat suite design, so I'm kind of excited that they went with it. From that picture I have a bit more hope, but honestly, I just can't stave off the feeling this will end badly.

Walter said:
Can't believe I'm talking about Batman ear size improving my expectations for a movie. :schierke:

Haha ... but good points.

I'm on the fence though, they may get the suit right or the actor or have all the money to make it but it's down to the director and script in the end. As a director, I don't love the films he's made. He's pretty stylish in his own way, no doubt. Man Of Steel was casual fun (just those over-the-top fight scenes) but I don't know, it had lose characters.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Anyone seen Under the Skin yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSWbyvdhHw

Nope, want to though. Also, the new Godzilla movie is apparently pretty good.

Aazealh said:
Also, the new Godzilla movie is apparently pretty good.

Just got back from seeing it, and oh boy... it is. I highly recommend everyone go out and see it in theaters, regardless of whatever reservations anyone might have. It's the Godzilla movie I've always wanted. I was honestly pleasantly surprised with it and thoroughly satisfied.

Top Bottom