Movies to look forward to

Just came back from Nightcrawler's screening and it was entertaining but nothing more. Gyllenhaal's performance was pretty neat even though Enemy is by far his best role/film to date.

Anyway, if you want to see significant better films with the same themes, i recommand ''Blow Up'' (Antonioni), even his okay remake ''Blow out'' (De Palma).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ryOtoha said:
Gyllenhaal's performance was pretty neat even though Enemy is by far his best role/film to date.

Maybe his best role, but best film? I felt like it went nowhere to be honest.

Aazealh said:
I felt like it went nowhere to be honest.

I disagree. There's a real dialogue and consistency between the form (the elegant photography, the geometry through the city of Toronto) and the content (recurring pattern/concepts, the overall performance and characters).
And despite the fact those themes has been used a thousand time, Villeneuve managed to make them intriguing and satisfying. In my book, it's a pretty good movie :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ryOtoha said:
I disagree. There's a real dialogue and consistency between the form (the elegant photography, the geometry through the city of Toronto) and the content (recurring pattern/concepts, the overall performance and characters).

Not saying it isn't technically well executed, but I think form takes too much precedence over content (especially the narrative), and I find that detrimental.

Aazealh said:
I think form takes too much precedence over content (especially the narrative), and I find that detrimental.

I didn't get that feeling but i see what you mean. The film opens on this quote :
Chaos is ordered not yet decipher.
And unlike a lot of movies, i feel the form/narrative dialogue articulate this theory really well and through his own balance.

Ahmetal

God hand help us
IncantatioN said:
2011 and onward you're missing out on Source Code, End Of Watch, Prisoners, Enemy ... all good movies back to back and now, Nightcrawler.
End of Watch hooked me. Such a good movie about brotherhood. I enjoyed Prisoners. I haven't seen the others and now look forward to watching them. Thanks for the tip

Jauja was an interesting experience. It makes me think a lot of Tarkovsky's films, Herzog's Aguirre and the style of camerawork that recalls the earliest days of silent cinema, in which cinematography resembled portraiture, static, composed with minute detail, and with no closeups that would produce a 30-foot-tall face. Actors appear as if on a vast proscenium stage, and body language is more telling than the terse dialogue.

I strongly recommand The salt of the earth for anyone interest in photography (and the human condition).

My last film of the festival :
pasolini-poster.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Digging everything, especially Spader, except the twins (hopefully Whedon has something good in mind for them since their favorites of his).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Digging everything, especially Spader, except the twins (hopefully Whedon has something good in mind for them since their favorites of his).

Since their faves of his, and not everyone else's, he probably won't kill them.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Griffith said:
Digging everything, especially Spader,
I hated the first Avengers, but I'm pretty excited for this. Ultron is a more interesting villain and Spader's voice is pretty intimidating.

except the twins (hopefully Whedon has something good in mind for them since their favorites of his).
Took me a second to realize who they were supposed to be. They look weird.

The trailer gives the impression of Ultron being created by Stark but in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes he's created by Hank or Ant-Man. Who creates him in comics? Think Hank's secretly in this movie but not shown in the trailer?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
\:SK:/ "There are no strings on me..." is a really cool line.

Really enjoyed the trailer. Mostly the ending. He's like a Reaper with legs! :guts: As someone who loves scifi, particularly AI characters, I'm particularly excited to see someone like Ultron taking center stage. It's an admittedly nerdy detail to pick on, given the otherwise stellar design of him, but I don't like that his mouth moves when he speaks. Doesn't seem like something a being like him would care about.

IncantatioN said:
The trailer gives the impression of Ultron being created by Stark but in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes he's created by Hank or Ant-Man. Who creates him in comics? Think Hank's secretly in this movie but not shown in the trailer?

Well, they're making an Ant-Man movie already so it's not farfetched. Stark could just be talking about his obsession with robotics though. Maybe he modified existing work as well. But who the hell knows.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Well, they're making an Ant-Man movie already so it's not farfetched. Stark could just be talking about his obsession with robotics though. Maybe he modified existing work as well. But who the hell knows.

From what I've read, Stark is actually the creator of Ultron in the MCU. Pym isn't going to be introduced until Ant Man, so who knows.

Pym might actually even take the technology and refine it for Scott Lang.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Johnstantine said:
From what I've read, Stark is actually the creator of Ultron in the MCU.

Yeah, Entertainment Weekly had a brief synopsis where Stark is attributed with the creation of Ultron, which seems like a really bizarre choice when Ant-Man will be following immediately afterward.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Since their faves of his, and not everyone else's, he probably won't kill them.

Har har, though you're supposed to kill your babies, so maybe they're just going to be his weak spot.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I hated the first Avengers, but I'm pretty excited for this. Ultron is a more interesting villain and Spader's voice is pretty intimidating.

I was a bit undecided after the first viewing due to expectations, both for Whedon and what it could be, but the degree of difficulty was so high I was still impressed. By the time I watched it again, unburdened by those expectations, and after having seen a couple more of the MCU movies I missed, I could just enjoy all the good stuff and be even more impressed. Besides all the exposition, Black Widow and Hawkeye stuff, and the overly long final battle, you're still left with a lot of good stuff (it's just way too long).

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Took me a second to realize who they were supposed to be. They look weird.

Fire girl and ghost boy! Seriously, my wife asked if Quicksilver was supposed to be a ghost. Yeah, so far Fox is winning on the battle of Quicksilvers, and really, Kickass, again? Does this guy know where all the bodies are buried? Why does he keep getting these jobs!?

IncantatioN said:

Pretty sure they're going with Stark on this one, it's just odd timing that they happen to be making an Ant-Man movie right now (c'mon, just film some cameo BS with Pym working for Stark to make it "official" =). Anyway, too bad the Ant-Man production couldn't get its act together sooner. Kind of makes you appreciate the Avengers team for churning out two of these monsters before Ant-Man could finishing filming. Oh well.

Walter said:
\:SK:/ "There are no strings on me..." is a really cool line.

Agreed, I really dig his little metaphor and how it relates to him becoming a "real boy," so to speak.

Walter said:
Really enjoyed the trailer. Mostly the ending. He's like a Reaper with legs! :guts: As someone who loves scifi, particularly AI characters, I'm particularly excited to see someone like Ultron taking center stage.

Yeah, I'm with you. What I don't get here is why he loves destruction (granted, they're just establishing he's bad for a trailer), but I would have rather they tied his motives to something more elegant like his string metaphor (it's implied, but...). I've always wanted to see one of these AI gone mad characters in one their soliloquies say that they actually shouldn't be thought of as something artificial, or advanced, or something futuristic gone wrong, but that they're actually tapping into something more primal, even primeval, but that it was a primordial element that just hadn't been discovered yet. Sovereign and the Reapers come pretty close to this idea.

Walter said:
It's an admittedly nerdy detail to pick on, given the otherwise stellar design of him, but I don't like that his mouth moves when he speaks. Doesn't seem like something a being like him would care about.

I think he's doing it for the benefit of his human audience, both on and off screen. =) Otherwise, why talk or have a face at all?

Walter said:
Delta Phi said:
Yeah, Entertainment Weekly had a brief synopsis where Stark is attributed with the creation of Ultron, which seems like a really bizarre choice when Ant-Man will be following immediately afterward.

It wouldn't be hard to fudge the numbers a bit to make it more like the original, but they'll probably stick hard to Stark being involved firsthand so he and the Avengers are specifically responsible. It's a matter of which part of Ultron's origin is more important, a technicality, or the meaning of it to The Avengers. It's too bad they couldn't get Ant-Man involved sooner, but I'm glad they're doing Ultron now because it sounds like there's going to be bigger things on the horizon between Thanos and
Civil War

Marvel Phase III

Ant-Man : 7/17/15
Captain America : Civil War: 5/6/16
Doc Strange : 11/4/16
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 : 5/5/17
Thor Ragnarok : 7/28/17
Black Panther : 11/3/17
Avengers Infinity War Part 1 : 5/4/18
Captain Marvel : 7/6/18
Inhumans : 11/2/18
Avengers Infinity War Part 2 : 5/3/19

:ubik:

Griffith

VengeanceQuest982 said:
Marvel Phase III

Ant-Man : 7/17/15
Captain America : Civil War: 5/6/16
Doc Strange : 11/4/16
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 : 5/5/17
Thor Ragnarok : 7/28/17
Black Panther : 11/3/17
Avengers Infinity War Part 1 : 5/4/18
Captain Marvel : 7/6/18
Inhumans : 11/2/18
Avengers Infinity War Part 2 : 5/3/19

:ubik:

That's some cool stuff, and I can finally enjoy reading about it without the obligatory, "What about Black Panther/Captain Marvel!?" comments (though they'll undoubtedly be replaced in those comments by the next most underrepresented heroes). Still, Marvel: pleasing everybody. =)

Anyway, they've always been grasping at it, you could kind of see it already, relative to film-making anyway, but if all this comes to fruition the MCU will be like a fully-fledged comic continuity of its own. Pretty impressive stuff, goes to show what you can do if you actually try (and make billions of dollars in the process). Now let's see if oddballs Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel all bomb and bring the whole thing down. :ganishka:

Griffith said:
That's some cool stuff, and I can finally enjoy reading about it without the obligatory, "What about Black Panther/Captain Marvel!?" comments (though they'll undoubtedly be replaced in those comments by the next most underrepresented heroes). Still, Marvel: pleasing everybody. =)

Anyway, they've always been grasping at it, you could kind of see it already, relative to film-making anyway, but if all this comes to fruition the MCU will be like a fully-fledged comic continuity of its own. Pretty impressive stuff.

Chadwick Boseman makes his 1st appearance as T'Challa/Black Panther in Captain America Civil War before his solo film Black Panther.
No news on who'll play Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel.

Griffith

VengeanceQuest982 said:
Chadwick Boseman makes his 1st appearance as T'Challa/Black Panther in Captain America Civil War before his solo film Black Panther.

Sure they won't sneak him into Age of Ultron? Looks like they already have Klaw in it, Black Panther is already cast, and they didn't finish the after, after credits teaser for the first Avengers until after the premiere. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Early Interstellar reviews are in: www.metacritic.com/movie/interstellar.

Sounds like I should see it, even if it's not a slam dunk across the board.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Walter said:
Early Interstellar reviews are in: www.metacritic.com/movie/interstellar.

Sounds like I should see it, even if it's not a slam dunk across the board.

I've tried to keep some semblance of knowledgeable distance from this movie. I want so badly for it to be good. Looks like there's a pretty good chance I'll enjoy it. The real question is: will it be a real SciFi film? Or just another space adventure a la Gravity?

Top Bottom