Movies to look forward to

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
I've tried to keep some semblance of knowledgeable distance from this movie. I want so badly for it to be good. Looks like there's a pretty good chance I'll enjoy it. The real question is: will it be a real SciFi film? Or just another space adventure a la Gravity?

I don't mean to be a dick, but the title itself should be enough indication that it's 100% a Sci-Fi flick. :slan:

Anyway, I'll try to go see it next week. From the reviews I read, it's pretty and great entertainment but suffers from the usual Nolan problem (DEEP stuff that's actually completely shallow).

Walter said:
Early Interstellar reviews are in: www.metacritic.com/movie/interstellar.

Sounds like I should see it, even if it's not a slam dunk across the board.

Mixed reviews (looked at the score real quick), cannot wait to check it out nonetheless. Going to see it next week Saturday at 2 AM, 70 mm IMAX and once more the following weekend with a group of pals.

New Avengers clip (the beginning is a full scene and the rest is most of the trailer we watched a few days ago) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGwuoYKhqx8

Ex Machina from the guy who wrote Sunshine + 28 Days Later - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HiQ9K2uf4

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
IncantatioN said:
New Avengers clip (the beginning is a full scene and the rest is most of the trailer we watched a few days ago) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGwuoYKhqx8

Is it sad that I'm most excited about
Cap actually budging Mjolnier?
Because that's fucking awesome.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:

Great to see the trailer in HD with better audio too. "Now I am free." :griffnotevil:

Delta Phi said:
Is it sad that I'm most excited about
Cap actually budging Mjolnier?
Because that's fucking awesome.

Indeed, that was a cool moment. Appropriately brief, too :guts:

I don't know if it's been already posted, but there is also a trailer about the Infinity Wars released. Some new scenes are on it. I'm really curious why they released something like this so early, kinda kills the hype for "Age of Ultron"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2NRpG76Pg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
I don't know if it's been already posted, but there is also a trailer about the Infinity Wars released. Some new scenes are on it. I'm really curious why they released something like this so early, kinda kills the hype for "Age of Ultron"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2NRpG76Pg

It's Marvel's marketing machine chafing against all the titles they now have to manage simultaneously. It's so incredibly stupid to market something like this 4 years away...

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
It's Marvel's marketing machine chafing against all the titles they now have to manage simultaneously. It's so incredibly stupid to market something like this 4 years away...

I don't know. I'm pretty hyped about it, and so is everyone else I've talked to.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I don't know. I'm pretty hyped about it, and so is everyone else I've talked to.

But what purpose does that hype serve four years away from being able to cash in on it? At some point (now) the announcement of titles and trailers is as big an event as the actual movie. We're devouring this marketing content like pigs (THAT WAS DELICIOUS, I'LL HAVE 13 MORE FRANCHISE RELEASES, PLEASE!). Also, the use of old footage was a gross reminder that "yeah we don't really have anything to show you but for some reason we have this monologue already recorded, so here's some Best Of clips." I actually thought that maybe it was a fan-made trailer at first, since that's how most of those are made.

Keep in mind, this is coming from the guy who was sick of superhero movies about 2 years ago, so the promise of 999 more doesn't have me in the most tolerant of moods towards them lately.

As cool as I think Thanos is, I'm not excited to see *that* aspect of the Marvel universe taking focus. And I think Infinity War is a huge gamble for a massmarket audience. The reason Marvel's characters continue to resonate with readers through all these years is that they are grounded. They're, for the most part, people with flaws or traits that make them outsiders. And they have superpowers. Then there's this whole other HEAVY SPACE SHIT dimension to the Marvel universe that just never fit for me, and I think it's because it distanced itself from the mold Marvel formed around. Can you see audiences cheering on Adam Warlock the same way they do for Spider-Man? All of Marvel's attempts in crossovers to make that space stuff relevant for their core franchises always felt forced and fell flat to me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
But what purpose does that hype serve four years away from being able to cash in on it?

Four years from now: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Walter said:
Keep in mind, this is coming from the guy who was sick of superhero movies about 2 years ago, so the promise of 999 more doesn't have me in the most tolerant of moods towards them lately.

I'm not sick of them yet because I'm still waiting for a truly transcendent one (also, for the most part I see them on the small screen with smaller expectations). Marvel has figured out how to do authentic big screen comic adaptations very credibly, almost every time, but none of them have been better than great popcorn movies, except maybe the original Iron Man. Still, this is all relative, it's not like the Avengers had to be as admirably well executed as it was. Just look at the attempts in 80's. Also, see video game based movies.

Walter said:
As cool as I think Thanos is, I'm not excited to see *that* aspect of the Marvel universe taking focus. And I think Infinity War is a huge gamble for a massmarket audience. The reason Marvel's characters continue to resonate with readers through all these years is that they are grounded. They're, for the most part, people with flaws or traits that make them outsiders. And they have superpowers. Then there's this whole other HEAVY SPACE SHIT dimension to the Marvel universe that just never fit for me, and I think it's because it distanced itself from the mold Marvel formed around. Can you see audiences cheering on Adam Warlock the same way they do for Spider-Man? All of Marvel's attempts in crossovers to make that space stuff relevant for their core franchises always felt forced and fell flat to me.

I'm sort of in the same boat as far as the Marvel universe goes in that I only cared about the space aspect in so far as the X-Men got involved in it, but look at Guardians of the Galaxy (and I still haven't). I think it answers your first question of what the point of the hype is now. So that mass market audiences are ready for it in 4 years and however many more movies. We'll see though, I'm waiting for them to release a truly disastrous bomb and see how they handle it. This new slate certainly has the potential for it too; once you start taking your cues from Internet commenters you're asking for trouble. Still, it's great "fan-friendly" marketing, and I'm guessing like in the first phase they're going to budget accordingly for their lesser stars to mitigate risk. I'm hoping this is all practice though for when they have so much fuck you money they just absorb Sony and Fox, get back their A-listers, and make the ultimate X-Men movie.

Johnstantine said:
Don't you feel that this announcement, together with the trailer, kinda kills the hype for the "Age of Ultron" movie ?
I mean we already know that Thanos is stirring things up in the Marvel universe, so i think it was unnecessary to see him in the Trailer waving the Gauntlet.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Joe Chip said:
Don't you feel that this announcement, together with the trailer, kinda kills the hype for the "Age of Ultron" movie ?
I mean we already know that Thanos is stirring things up in the Marvel universe, so i think it was unnecessary to see him in the Trailer waving the Gauntlet.

To me it seems like we're reach Avengers critical mass. I think the Thanos reveal would have been pretty appropriate as the after-credits shot of Avengers 2...but I guess they just want Avengers IN YOUR FACE. RIGHT. NOW.

I think the "exciting" part of that trailer was that Thanos actually had the gauntlet. So far, three of these movies have shown us hiding or securing the gems, so one has to wonder, how will Thanos get these them for himself? Montage? Or will we spend the better part of movie 1 seeing him gather them? I'm not really familiar with the Infinity War story (read: I haven't read it, but I know the broad strokes of the story) so I can't comment on that :farnese:

I might be in the minority, but ever since Thanos has been in the post credits I've been hoping this story line would come into play. I'm an xmen fan more than avengers, but the infinity gauntlet storyline is the biggest and baddest in comics for me. Singer will never do xmen justice in my mind, but I've been more than pleased with marvels movies. We won't get all the characters in infinity war (gauntlet), but this build up makes up for it imo. Quite honestly, outside of Apocalypse and Thanos, I do get bored these days with most villains. Atleast in marvel and dc..... :femto: The only thing that bothers me is the title. Yes, its a war, but its the infinity gauntlet epic, not infinity war. I'd love to see warlock (not counting on it) but I hope we get some equivalent, even if its (dear God no) ms marvel.

bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
I'd love to see warlock (not counting on it) but I hope we get some equivalent, even if its (dear God no) ms marvel.
Oh we are definitely getting Adam Warlock. I don't know if you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy (i am betting that you have).
On the scene
where the gang meets the collector, we clearly see Adams Cocoon. Then at the after credits scene, you can see that the cocoon has opened itself up from the explosion.

Yes I have. :ubik: I was so distracted I missed "that" the first time. My question would be where he fits into the slated movies before us? Will he be a theme in guardians 2? If the story unfolds as it did in the comic, lets say 80% accurate, I'm gonna cartwheel around the diesel shop I work in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVAgTiBrrDA

@ 1:00 Galadriel encircled by The Nine
@ 1:05 Faux Sarumon The White vs The Nine & Sauron Battle Face (I expect a Parody Video having Sarumon and Sauron sitting in chairs throwing out attacks across the room while drinking booze)
@ 1:52 Did Thranduil kill Tauriel?

:magni:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but that's indicative of exactly the kind of reverential but uninspired cheese that threatens this whole enterprise.

I love Star Wars. What I love even more is that they're going in a different direction than the EU (I can think of three or four memorable stories from the entire EU). I don't think anything will kill the franchise, unless it's a massive fuck-up. Abrams was an iffy choice because, much like Christopher Nolan, he's more about shots than he is developing characters. But with George Lucas as the creative consultant, I don't think we have too much to worry about.

If it were up to me, Brad Bird would be directing all three of the films.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Meh, I guess. Lucas mishandled it. Disney won't.

You have to admit, mishandled is quite an understatement for the ruinous prequel trilogy. It effectively killed interest in the hearts of a generation for one of the most beloved franchises ever. That takes some doing. It's the elephant in the room for any discussion of future Star Wars projects.

Walter said:
You have to admit, mishandled is quite an understatement for the ruinous prequel trilogy. It effectively killed interest in the hearts of a generation for one of the most beloved franchises ever. That takes some doing. It's the elephant in the room for any discussion of future Star Wars projects.
While i agree with you 100%, i wanted to ask you something. Do you feel the same way about Episode III - Revenge of the Sith? While i think the first two were not really that great, the third one wasn't that bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
While i agree with you 100%, i wanted to ask you something. Do you feel the same way about Episode III - Revenge of the Sith? While i think the first two were not really that great, the third one wasn't that bad.

It was probably the best of the three. But it was still pretty damned embarrassing throughout. I actually saw the third movie in Paris with Aazealh. We laughed throughout.

I really enjoyed episode 3. They're all kinda campy and cheesy, though 1 and 2 were not redeeming in any way. Nothing and I mean nothing bothers me as much as the blu ray experience. How do you take the climax of darth turning away from the dark side and ruin it?! I mean ruin it. We don't need to hear him say No.....NOOOO! It kills the scene. I'm still butt hurt about it.

Top Bottom