Movies to look forward to

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
You have to admit, mishandled is quite an understatement for the ruinous prequel trilogy. It effectively killed interest in the hearts of a generation for one of the most beloved franchises ever. That takes some doing. It's the elephant in the room for any discussion of future Star Wars projects.

Well, had you asked me a few years ago, I would have agreed. But after watching the Clone Wars series, my bitterness has faded. It was the saving grace of the franchise.

After watching the whole series, I went back and watched episodes 1-3 and actually enjoyed 2 and 3. Episode 1 is just a travesty. It wasn't AS BAD as it was when I first watched it, but it still suffered from a lot.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
While i agree with you 100%, i wanted to ask you something. Do you feel the same way about Episode III - Revenge of the Sith? While i think the first two were not really that great, the third one wasn't that bad.

Honestly I thought Episode III was terrible and not any better than the others. There was a lot of hype about how it would be better because it was "darker" when it came out, but I felt it was completely unwarranted. That trilogy as a whole was a huge waste of potential to me and like Walter said it's reduced my enthusiasm for the franchise to practically nothing.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
B1xpv3sCEAAvmiQ.jpg:large

One good movie in six does not a good series make.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
One good movie in six does not a good series make.

In all fairness I would at least include the first two movies. It's unfair to praise "Empire Strikes Back" without recognizing how immensely cool "Star Wars" was when it came out.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
In all fairness I would at least include the first two movies. It's unfair to praise "Empire Strikes Back" without recognizing how immensely cool "Star Wars" was when it came out.

I'd even go so far as to say the original Star Wars is still a pretty ok movie. =)

Anyway, I don't know why we're having a rehash of the prequels' merits, let alone a referendum on the original Star Wars freakin' trilogy. Aside from numerical designation and three principle character/actors, this is a completely separate endeavor from those productions, with potentials and pitfalls all its own. It's probably not going to be as good as the original Star Wars trilogy, it's probably not going to be as bad as the prequels, and it won't be good or bad for the same reasons. At best it's probably going to be cool yet inevitably disappointing somehow, but knowing that I just want my childhood dream of a new Star Wars followup with Luke, Han, and Leia. Good or bad, I can live with that (or happily go back to only acknowledging the theatrical editions of the original trilogy, la la la la la I can't hear you post-1997 Star Wars =).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Anyway, I don't know why we're having a rehash of the prequels' merits, let alone a referendum on the original Star Wars freakin' trilogy.

I think it's because some of us are reaching down to discover where our enthusiasm went for Star Wars, and are finding a cold stone in the shape of Hayden Christensen's head in its place.

PS: No, no, it's a head in the shape of sand! And it gets everywhere.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I think it's because some of us are reaching down to discover where our enthusiasm went for Star Wars, and are finding a cold stone in the shape of Hayden Christensen's head in its place.

PS: No, no, it's a head in the shape of sand! And it gets everywhere.

Don't forget that it's coarse!

Griffith

http://youtu.be/4nJS-LPcFfw

Walter said:

I get it, but that really doesn't change my feelings about the Star Wars trilogy of my childhood, just like the early seasons of The Simpsons are no less culturally transcendent just because it stopped being. I mean, the Berserk movies suck, but they don't make us like Berserk less, quite the contrary; it's like a firece protective instinct is engaged. I think that has more to do with our trepidation or lack of enthusiasm. Are we just going to be hurt again? =)

THE FORCE AWAKENS! :magni:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
http://youtu.be/4nJS-LPcFfw

I get it, but that really doesn't change my feelings about the Star Wars trilogy of my childhood,

Well, I wasn't trying to involve the earlier movies. My only point was the well of enthusiasm for anything further has been tainted.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Well, I wasn't trying to involve the earlier movies. My only point was the well of enthusiasm for anything further has been tainted.

Two words: Clone. Wars.

Like I said earlier, seasons 3-6 are easily the best Star Wars since Empire.

Griffith

Walter said:

And the stakes are even higher now, the prequels were almost abstractly related to the originals, while this will have the same actors playing the not-quite-the-same-looking characters. It could be the prequels and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull combined!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Honestly I thought Episode III was terrible and not any better than the others. There was a lot of hype about how it would be better because it was "darker" when it came out, but I felt it was completely unwarranted. That trilogy as a whole was a huge waste of potential to me and like Walter said it's reduced my enthusiasm for the franchise to practically nothing.

This is exactly my feelings. I have zero enthusiasm for anything Star Wars these days, but like Griff mentioned, the unaltered originals continue to be a fond memory, and I enjoy introducing them to younger children that are about the same age now that I was then.

Griffith

Bond. Spectre. Blofeld. It's happening.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/04/the-titles-spectre-just-spectre-new-james-bond-movie-christened

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Bond: Spectre. Blofeld. It's happening.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/04/the-titles-spectre-just-spectre-new-james-bond-movie-christened

Neat. They've alluded to a Spectre-like criminal organization in the past few movies. I believe at one point that Rachel Weisz was set to play Blofeld. Spectre is quite a boring title for a Bond movie though...

Griffith

Walter said:
Neat. They've alluded to a Spectre-like criminal organization in the past few movies. I believe at one point that Rachel Weisz was set to play Blofeld.

If anyone didn't like the idea of Christoph Waltz in the part, I think you just provided the cure.

Walter said:
Spectre is quite a boring title for a Bond movie though...

Yeah, it's a bit direct, should be "Spectre of..." something. Unfortunately, they couldn't use "Evil" for obvious reasons. :ganishka:

Seeing it in logo form helps:

007-spectre_612x381.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
If anyone didn't like the idea of Christoph Waltz in the part, I think you just provided the cure.

I'm confident he can pull it off. I despise these early leaks of who will play the role, becuase they always pair it with some kind of "best fit" stock photograph of the actor, before they've assumed the role and made it their own. "HEATH LEDGER LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE JOKER."

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2014/12/04/007-spectre_612x381.jpg

Not bad. Nov 2015? Ouch.

Griffith

Walter said:
I'm confident he can pull it off. I despise these early leaks of who will play the role, becuase they always pair it with some kind of "best fit" stock photograph of the actor, before they've assumed the role and made it their own. "HEATH LEDGER LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE JOKER."

We're pushing that one Heath Ledger example pretty far, so what about JARED LETO!? Anyway, I'm all for Waltz as well. He may not fit the physical description of the iconic movie Blofeld, or even the one from the books (6'3", 200+ lbs), but he's basically already perfect for a Bond villain, so why not make him the perfect Bond villain? I just can't wait to hear him say, "Mr. Bond."

Walter said:
Not bad. Nov 2015? Ouch.

Think of it this way, they haven't started shooting yet and they'll still beat Star Wars to theaters by over a month.

Griffith

bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
http://www.nerdcoremovement.com/benedict-cumberbatch-officially-cast-doctor-strange/

This guy is excited!

I just assume Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast in everything at this point! Seriously though, way better than the other names being floated or even a big name has-been like Johnny Depp. Marvel has the devil's luck.

Just saw Interstellar. Did I just watch a good movie? I really have no clue. My brain threw up and there are many "feelings" running amok. I might have to turn my love for sci-fi down to 80% after that one. Definitely worth watching, but I doubt I ever see it again.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm all for Waltz as well. He may not fit the physical description of the iconic movie Blofeld, or even the one from the books (6'3", 200+ lbs), but he's basically already perfect for a Bond villain, so why not make him the perfect Bond villain? I just can't wait to hear him say, "Mr. Bond."

I don't care as long as the cat is there. It's all that matters! :puck:

bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
http://www.nerdcoremovement.com/benedict-cumberbatch-officially-cast-doctor-strange/

This guy is excited! Also, I didn't think Matt Damon was gonna be "the dick" in interstellar

Daaaaamn, I'm not a super fan of having him in that role (I didn't like him as Khan in Into Darkness)... :judo: I'm really looking forward to Dr Strange too... Of course I didn't follow the casting so I don't know who else was considered. I'll take you guys' word that the others were worse though. At least he's a good actor.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
I don't care as long as the cat is there. It's all that matters! :puck:

Daaaaamn, I'm not a super fan of having him in that role (I didn't like him as Khan in Into Darkness)... :judo: I'm really looking forward to Dr Strange too... Of course I didn't follow the casting so I don't know who else was considered. I'll take you guys' word that the others were worse though. At least he's a good actor.

Joaquin Phoenix was up for the part. I would have rather had him, but I can see why Cumberbatch would be the better choice.

Deci

I'm excited for Episode VII, J J Abrams understands Star Wars and has shown humility in admitting his flaws like the lens flare problem, so he can totally pull this off. Also when I see the words Disney and Star Wars together my mind goes straight into "shared universe" territory and that sparks a lot of interest for me right away. I am totally on that bandwagon. Disney did it with Marvel and allowed Marvel to still control their properties for the most part. Also the casting choices have been solid all around to me. Ironically the exception is the original cast, only because I fear their ability to play those roles accurately nowadays, and not just caricatures of those characters. That'll be the toughest part for me. Mark Hamill is the only one I'm really interested in seeing have significant screen time, Harrison Ford has lost his cool sadly over the years, to me. Then it's on to the new additions to the forefront I think, hopefully.

One way or another.... We will be having a lot of Star Wars movies in the future, hopefully everyone can get at least one movie they will be able to enjoy as a companion to the originals out of all of this. If that happens then isn't this all a good thing? I think so.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I'm excited for Episode VII, J J Abrams understands Star Wars and has shown humility in admitting his flaws like the lens flare problem, so he can totally pull this off.

That's a pretty hilarious oversimplification: JJ Abrams with NO blue lens flare?! Guaranteed success! :ganishka:

Deci said:
Also when I see the words Disney and Star Wars together my mind goes straight into "shared universe" territory and that sparks a lot of interest for me right away. I am totally on that bandwagon.

So I take it that you're a big Kingdom Hearts fan, then? Mickey Mouse in a movie with Iron Man, Buzz Lightyear and Darth Vader sounds like a charming idea?

Top Bottom