Movies to look forward to

That's a lot of Tom Cruise projects and big movie franchises :isidro:

Aazealh said:

Relevant story too for our times, definitely interested in seeing where this goes. I've read only a few articles on the drones vs pilot debate and they're fascinating.

Poor Val wasn't doing too well and lost a lot of weight a few years ago. I hope they bring him on board, even for a cameo or something elaborate where he's been friends with Maverick and is killed by a drone, Maverick straps in to get reeeeeeevenge! Joking, that's too Rocky III.

...I'm usually against spin-offs to an existing film series but that ROCKY spin-off CREED looks to be too promising a film to pass up on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv554B7YHk4

All that was missing from what is all ready an awesome trailer was using either Survivor's Eye of the Tiger or John Cafferty's Hearts on Fire
and people would have been jumping up and down for joy.

VengeanceQuest982 said:
...I'm usually against spin-offs to an existing film series but that ROCKY spin-off CREED looks to be too promising a film to pass up on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv554B7YHk4

All that was missing from what is all ready an awesome trailer was using either Survivor's Eye of the Tiger or John Cafferty's Hearts on Fire
and people would have been jumping up and down for joy.

This actually looks damn fantastic! :ubik:

New Batman vs Superman trailer that premiered at Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y&feature=youtu.be

That end made me laugh in excitement. The first teaser showed Batman have the upper hand towards the end of it, here it's the reverse. I just want to watch the fight scenes ... if it's ridiculous like Man Of Steel, this movie'll be fun, I hope.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
New Batman vs Superman trailer that premiered at Comic Con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y&feature=youtu.be

Stinks of desperation on DC's part.

...While going with the Kingdom Come aesthetic is WBs DCU Film verse's only choice I look forward to official releases of Deadpool and X-Men apocalypse trailers from FOX. Then we've got those Legendary Film productions projects incoming : Krampus , Warcraft , Crimson Peak , and Pacific Rim 2.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:

Judging by the trailer, very portentiously. =)

C'mon, after the failure of Green Lantern and the lukewarm reception of Man of Steel DC's entire cinematic universe strategy could be described as "desperate measures" to try to get in the game and steal Marvel's thunder. They're literally fighting Batman and Superman like a monster mashup in the spirit of Frankenstein and Dracula, Freddy and Jason, Alien and Predator (this is nominally pretty close to that actually =), or Godzilla and King Kong. An idea they'd previously rejected back when they were concerned about the sanctity and dilution of the individual characters (or franchises). Not that its the wrong move, after all it was desperate times, and after initial setbacks they can't afford the time it would take to catchbup and build their "CU" properly; they need their "Avengers" now, so they're going all in.

Anyway, I liked this trailer better since at least it had a bit of the substance of what's at play here; I particularly liked Batman basically becoming a "never forget" 9/11 hardliner that sees Superman as too dangerous to leave mankind's fate to (instead of him =). Snyderman is, as before, a nonsensical bore; and why the fuck is playing at being Clark Kent, reporter? This would be like if Obama decided to moonlight as a trade journalist, "Hey, I'm the most famous and powerful man on Earth, but please enjoy my objective news articles..." Gimmie a break, are they already retconning that piece of destroyed lore, or is Perry White really stupid enough to knowingly employ Superman as a beat writer and not think that everything he thinks is newsworthy, let alone that he has a problem with the Goddamn Batman!? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! That's not the worst part though, that honor goes to Eisenberg's Luthor, which could be downright embarrassing.

Still, here's to the spectacle of it all, let's have our two most iconic superheroes tear each other apart like pitbulls in a dogfighting ring! Let's define the rest of the Justice League as tertiary characters before asking us to buy tickets to their movies! So long as we also get a gonzo sequence out of Sucker Punch of Captain Batmerica fighting Supernazis in the deal, it's alright (was that supposed to be a Batman nightmare, or Frank Miller wet dream? =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Without going into so many words, I thought the trailer was a mess. It feels to me like the movie's trying to do too many things at once. I mean Supes vs Bats would already be a big story to tackle, but they've also got Luthor (who didn't impress me) along with some sort of global commentary on the aftermath of Man of Steel and what Superman is to people, and then there's Wonder Woman on top of all that.

Griffith said:
Judging by the trailer, very portentiously. =)

C'mon, after the failure of Green Lantern and the lukewarm reception of Man of Steel DC's entire cinematic universe strategy could be described as "desperate measures" to try to get in the game and steal Marvel's thunder. They're literally fighting Batman and Superman like a monster mashup in the spirit of Frankenstein and Dracula, Freddy and Jason, Alien and Predator (this is nominally pretty close to that actually =), or Godzilla and King Kong. An idea they'd previously rejected back when they were concerned about the sanctity and dilution of the individual characters (or franchises). Not that its the wrong move, after all it was desperate times, and after initial setbacks they can't afford the time it would take to catchbup and build their "CU" properly; they need their "Avengers" now, so they're going all in.

When you mention it like that, I can definitely see the comparison and it's probably the hype too to blame for it. I'll admit I haven't read the comic where they actually fight but I remember seeing a clip off an animated series of the fight between them. The events leading to it however, I don't really know how true it is to the actually story in the comics. From what we see in the trailer and your comment Griffith, I'm guessing Batman's reasons in the movie are different than in the comics (cos of continuity from Man of Steel and a changed characterization of Superman maybe)?

I like Jessie as an actor in most of his films like The Double recently but his Luthor was cheesy funny bad, I do hope there's more to it than 10 mins of the same Luthor. He comes off as super goofy ...

Griffith said:
So long as we also get a gonzo sequence out of Sucker Punch of Captain Batmerica fighting Supernazis in the deal, it's alright (was that supposed to be a Batman nightmare, or Frank Miller wet dream? =)

:ganishka: ... don't jinx it!!! Awwwww man, I can see that totally happening :magni:. Sucker Punch brings back BAD memories, ooouuffff.

Aazealh said:
Without going into so many words, I thought the trailer was a mess. It feels to me like the movie's trying to do too many things at once. I mean Supes vs Bats would already be a big story to tackle, but they've also got Luthor (who didn't impress me) along with some sort of global commentary on the aftermath of Man of Steel and what Superman is to people, and then there's Wonder Woman on top of all that.

If Snyder spends a lot of time with portraying Superman as a God and all mighty etc. etc. the movie will fall slump. I mean, there's yet another version of a Batman flashback scene about his parents, how many times do we have to see it on screen?!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
When you mention it like that, I can definitely see the comparison and it's probably the hype too to blame for it. I'll admit I haven't read the comic where they actually fight but I remember seeing a clip off an animated series of the fight between them. The events leading to it however, I don't really know how true it is to the actually story in the comics. From what we see in the trailer and your comment Griffith, I'm guessing Batman's reasons in the movie are different than in the comics (cos of continuity from Man of Steel and a changed characterization of Superman maybe)?

You mean The Dark Knight Returns? The story is completely different, to the point where it can't even really be compared to this movie. For one it's a Batman story first and foremost and Superman only comes in late in the story, and he's sent by the US government to subjugate an old (and I mean really old, not just in his forties) Batman who's essentially established a militia using former criminals to keep Gotham safe while the country undergoes a global blackout. It's a great story, but I've always viewed it as pretty self-contained.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:

I suppose what bugged me the most is that scene for scene, I couldn't escape the "Me Too" syndrome that infects the whole production. This appears to be nothing but a bold-faced, desperate bid by DC to cash in on some of that fat Avengers money. And to do so, they're using their biggest guns -- raiding the pantry and roster of DC's two biggest names for relevance and manufactured importance. And yet I felt nothing watching this EPIC trailer. I wonder why..?

The title says it all, gentlemen: Superman versus Batman! This isn't a movie at all. It's a first-round movie board room pitch for funding (was Eisenberg's Luthor making the pitch in his scenes?! "The red capes are coming!" *smug grin*). The name just happened to stick through production. :badbone:

Why does this conflict need to exist, exactly? Not that comic book movies generally wield masterful storytelling, but this is almost offensive -- this false pretense of having these two titans go at it in all their moody glory, before joining hands to take down the REAL villain (all while the title of the movie is a not-so-subtle hint at Justice League). This is 1960s levels of comic book wankery on display, only augmented by the moodiness that DC seems to think is required of a comic book movie.

Griffith

Walter said:
they're using their biggest guns -- raiding the pantry and roster of DC's two biggest names for relevance and manufactured importance. And yet I felt nothing watching this EPIC trailer. I wonder why..?

The title says it all, gentlemen: Superman versus Batman! This isn't a movie at all. It's a first-round movie board room pitch for funding (was Eisenberg's Luthor making the pitch in his scenes?! "The red capes are coming!" *smug grin*). The name just happened to stick through production. :badbone:

Why does this conflict need to exist, exactly? Not that comic book movies generally wield masterful storytelling, but this is almost offensive -- this false pretense of having these two titans go at it in all their moody glory, before joining hands to take down the REAL villain (all while the title of the movie is a not-so-subtle hint at Justice League). This is 1960s levels of comic book wankery on display, only augmented by the moodiness that DC seems to think is required of a comic book movie.

Every relatively objective, non-comic book person I've shown this to has either laughed at it or otherwise regarded it with derision. Even my wife, whose favorite superhero is Superman, and whose third is Batman, who has seen all of TAS, Superman Adventures and Beyond, thought it looked bad. It was actually embarrassing seeing it through their eyes as it crystallized how over the top it was. As you said, it's less like a movie than some trumped up pay-per-view prize fight like Mayweather vs. Pacquiao (but at least it will have some action and won't cost as much =).

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs1ONS6d5Nw :troll:

Except Batman and, especially, Joker look better there. :guts:

BTW, does anyone think Snyder is actually a bit put out that he's attempting this iconic version of Batman but the new iteration of Joker is about as contrived, faddish, and incomparable as can be? Did he approve that? Yuck.

Anyway, I'm still hoping, and expecting, that the Batman vs. Superman visuals alone will be worth the price of admission. That's about it though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
New Spectre trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDaET-JweU&feature=youtu.be

Looks like a classic Bond flick with all those pursuit shots. Not sure I like the new Blofeld, but it looks promising.

Aazealh said:
You mean The Dark Knight Returns? The story is completely different, to the point where it can't even really be compared to this movie. For one it's a Batman story first and foremost and Superman only comes in late in the story, and he's sent by the US government to subjugate an old (and I mean really old, not just in his forties) Batman who's essentially established a militia using former criminals to keep Gotham safe while the country undergoes a global blackout. It's a great story, but I've always viewed it as pretty self-contained.

Yep yep, that's the one! What a fight. I couldn't remember the name of the movie. Thanks for clarifying, I wrongly assumed that's how both characters dish it out and the circumstances surrounding it. It's confusing with the different universes or story lines most popular DC characters have.

Walter said:
New Spectre trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTDaET-JweU&feature=youtu.be

Much better than the teaser. I'm on board for this. When Skyfall was released, Mendes originally declined the prospect of making another Bond film and later signed on to helm Spectre. Think he's coming back for another one? There was some news earlier this year about new casting for Bond. I don't know about that, I've comfortably warmed up to Craig as Bond.

Trailer for The Revenant - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfj1VCg16Y

Leanardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy. Directed by Alejandro (Birdman).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
I didn't read the comic series, so I'm curious to check this one out. Hopefully it delivers.

Ed Brubaker did one of the best runs in the character's history about 10 years ago. Most, if not all of the stuff they use is based off his run. It was really, really well done.

Griffith

I was initially both underwhelmed and fatigued by the Civil War trailer, but after seeing a certain other trailer, this looks pretty good (or at least not bad)! Another solid, inoffensive C+ to B+ movie from Marvel Studios, where at least they know the baseline for quality and they don't stray too far from it either way. I'm confident it will be perfect...ly adequate.

Top Bottom