Movies to look forward to

IncantatioN said:
I've watched Bone Tomahawk twice now and it's really good. The script and acting are top notch. I know everyone's been talking of Russell's performance but it's Jenkins for me.
What the ... wow. Didn't expect it to be that different or unappealing. For some reason I thought of the old Mad Max movies and how this feels like Star Trek's BTT moment.
:ganishka: ... true!

I didn't even know bone tomahawk was out, I will definitely be watching that tonight!

Simon Pegg didn't like the Star Trek: Frontier Drift (I like the ring to it Aaz, good job!) trailer either and says fans should hang in there - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=2f4aAwa5wdg

DasBouf

I'm Noah. I love my waifu and my friends
I made a mention of it in the other movies thread, but I'm looking forward to Green Room.
It's already out, but unfortunately the theater near me isn't getting it, so I have to wait to for the Home Release
I'm really excited for this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8XSARX3DQg

Also I know it's TV, but I'm also very much looking forward to the new Twin Peaks.

And Shin Godzilla! Godzilla directed by Hideaki Anno? Sounds awesome to me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DasBouf said:
And Shin Godzilla! Godzilla directed by Hideaki Anno? Sounds awesome to me.

Oh yeah I can't wait to see how Godzilla's dad is such a dick to him because he can't destroy Tokyo as well as he'd like.

DasBouf

I'm Noah. I love my waifu and my friends
Aazealh said:
Oh yeah I can't wait to see how Godzilla's dad is such a dick to him because he can't destroy Tokyo as well as he'd like.
lol
Have you seen the trailer though? It's pretty sweet, I love Godzilla's design
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkxVHyzivg Also the music is amazing

(Oldboy, Vengeance series, Thirst, Stoker) Park Chan-wook's new film The Handmaiden looks promising - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKpZLtt4Ctg

2nd trailer for Godzilla Resurgence - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwORVbNN-s

The fella looks massive, slow, strong and look at that tail! 00:57 to 1:06 is so badass. I hope the story is bleak. The way the military are aligned to attack is reminiscent of 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone.

EDIT:

Wonder Woman trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgk_63b-Mrw

That guitar-theme from BvS is meh/ annoying but decent trailer.

King Arthur - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luDtkC3Oy0

Guy Richie has a knack of making his films have a sense of kinetic urgency and the first half of the trailer is kinda run of the mill but the end of it made me veeeery curious.

^WW looks very underwhelming as expected, I guess it'd be pretty hard getting her personality right and it'd probably take a very special and talented actress to pull it off. But man, I just can't help fantasizing about how cool she could've been, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring a very different kind of superhero to the screen in these times flooded with superhero adaptations, a female one no less. I know this sounds kinda farfetched and a bit lame especially coming from a guy but, having dealt with young troubled people and kids at my job I also think her character, if they'd get it right, could've been somewhat of an inspiration for girls. I know its a comic with violence and shit so please don't misunderstand, I'm strictly talking her personality.

I find it a bit funny that I pretty much immediately recognized Guy Richie as the directior for King Arthur. I'll probably watch that.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
^WW looks very underwhelming as expected, I guess it'd be pretty hard getting her personality right and it'd probably take a very special and talented actress to pull it off. But man, I just can't help fantasizing about how cool she could've been, it would be the perfect opportunity to bring a very different kind of superhero to the screen in these times flooded with superhero adaptations, a female one no less. I know this sounds kinda farfetched and a bit lame especially coming from a guy but, having dealt with young troubled people and kids at my job I also think her character, if they'd get it right, could've been somewhat of an inspiration for girls. I know its a comic with violence and shit so please don't misunderstand, I'm strictly talking her personality.

I find it a bit funny that I pretty much immediately recognized Guy Richie as the directior for King Arthur. I'll probably watch that.

I'm having a hard time remembering if I've ever read a post worse than this.

Diana was handled extremely well in the small amount of screen time she had in BvS, and she looks to be even better in this one.

Haha wow that bad huh? Okay as I thought I might've read a bit too much into it. I'm by no means a WW comic nerd (never read any Golden or even Silver Age either) so you might be right if we're talking about the original character. But from what I have seen throughout her various incarnations here and there in the latest decade or so Im really gonna have to disagree there. I also seem to remember you actually liking BvS so it might just be a matter of taste.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
Haha wow that bad huh? Okay as I thought I might've read a bit too much into it. I'm by no means a WW comic nerd (never read any Golden or even Silver Age either) so you might be right if we're talking about the original character. But from what I have seen throughout her various incarnations here and there in the latest decade or so Im really gonna have to disagree there. I also seem to remember you actually liking BvS so it might just be a matter of taste.

Yes, I enjoyed BvS (flaws and all). WW is a fave of mine, so I went in expecting them to not write her well.

What "various incarnations" have you see her in in the last decade?

Mostly the ensemble stuff featuring all (loose term ofc) or some of Justice League and probably all animated works as far as I know, so not the stuff with her individually, so I can see how I might come off as an idiot there, but I just figured she can't be THAT different right?

Sorry for straying even further from the topic here people, but since I apparently made the worst post anyone can remember ;) ...So I just watched the extended verserion of BvS (since people said it was so much better) and while it felt like a somewhat more coherent movie overall my core issues with it still stands, and it's generally a directional problem. For instance I actually did like Affleck's Batman, but sadly he fell victim to a bad movie IMO and I guess the same goes for WW. But yeah I might've made it sound more extreme than it really is, cause while they don't really misrepresent her I also think she comes off as incredibly boring and her otherwise strong personality could've shown through a lot more, and while I guess that's the point with her upcoming movie I can't say I get that much of a different vibe from it than the rest of this cinematic continuity. Btw I kinda envy you cause I also expected it to be bad but it didn't make it any better. (on a somewhat related note it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the new Berserk adaptation)

All in all though, I'm pretty sure you're the expert here, I'll take your word for it.

Edit: btw what's you're favorite WW story? I been meaning to check out some individual runs from DC for a while, might as well ask you.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
WW looks alright, better than I expected anyway (looks like par for the course Marvel). Also, looks like they're capitalizing on the positive reception the Suicide Squad trailers have gotten by giving the Justice League the same treatment. I don't know if that's the way to go about it, but it sure beats what they were doing before.

^Yeah I guess you're right. Tbh I wasn't even mad about the JL trailer, even though it's a weird change in tone this will surely fair better since it's Snyder. Btw I just saw that JK Simmons are playing Gordon, whether it'll be a "faithful" interpretation or not hes an awesome actor and I'm bound to like his screentime, so that a YAY! there I guess.

Why I'm such a hardass is probably due to the depression from the Berserk adaptation still lingering within and infecting pretty much everything else, feels like some weird PMS equivalent.

IncantatioN said:
Teaser for Arrival, Villeneuve's new movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwqSi_ToNPs

I'm surprised to say this, but it looks visually unappealing to me compared to his other stuff, even the much older stuff.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I'm surprised to say this, but it looks visually unappealing to me compared to his other stuff, even the much older stuff.

The problem to me is that, right now, the entire draw to see the movie hinges on the reveal of what the creatures look like. And given how unimpressively rendered that ship is in the trailer, I'm not expecting much in that regard. I sure hope the story's worth it, because this basic premise has been done to death.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
I look forward Star Wars Rogue One and i don´t care about the re-shoot "controversy". Disney 100% saved the franchise and the "editorial drive" keeps the comic (and to a lesser degree novel) quality very high. The 1977 original was being re-edit while it still was in the cinemas. All this web-journalism microanalysis is turning toxic if you ask me...
The usual comics stuff is on the horizon. Flash landed an A+ director and the most interesting DCEU film from the announced ones is JLA 2. Snyder and Kirby´s New Gods are a match made in heaven!
The competition´s 2nd trailer for Sherlock Strange looked juicy indeed too, shocking so. I was a bit afraid after the heavy 2015 studio restructuring and my narrative problems with Cap 3 but this looks like a winner, despite huge changes to lore.

@Hanma_Baki Let me try, i will simply list her "modern" runs: Her Post Crisis comic began in 1987 with Gods and Mortals (the movie basis it seems) by George Pérez. The part he wrote and drew was a top notch relaunch, the one he "only" wrote after 2 years petered out though. The stellar 2009 toon film is based on it too.
A mixed bag came in between (i liked her 90s replacement Artemis though) but Phil Jimenez fixed that ship starting with Gods of Gotham.
Greg Rucka (her most popular modern writer) started with The Hiketeia GN and then did the proper comic until he left due to One Year Later (her time skip re-launch was crap).
The usually wonderful Gail Simone then came to "fix" the book, starting with The Circle. She had a fine run, but below expectations, and she also wrote the mentioned toon film, sequel please!
Brian Azzarello´s New52 re-launch was Diana´s best run yet, starting with Blood. A pure masterpiece and an easy starting point. It´s basically Vertigo´s Sandman meets God of War! He left and the book fell apart, notice a theme. Her comic is a bit like Trek films. One good run follow a bad-ish run.
Greg Rucka is now back for Rebirth and is killing it. Every 2nd issue is a new Origin story to keep the bi-weekly deadlines. Very smart, she needed that streamlining.
The last 2 are self-contained and origins: Grant Morrison´s new Earth One GN is a return to the Gold Age version. Heaps of lesbian bondage and a heavy focus on the original 40s take on feminism.
The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae De Liz though is a concluded and WW2 based all-ages web-first comic. It´s very "young girl friendly" and nearly all her writers were men, as you saw. Both have phenomenal art too. Pick your poison, you got ALL the info one could need.
The Secret History of Wonder Woman is lastly a non-fiction book and explains itself. The Golden Age comic was pure insanity and her creator was a man to behold too.

Her movie lastly looks great, especially due to Zack´s involvement to help Patty back on the horse, after her long break to be a mother first. He produces, wrote the outline and half his post-300 crew carried over. She lastly wanted to do the film since 2005: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/16/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Top Bottom