Movies to look forward to

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
Lord Inquisitor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

Basically its a fan project with a setting in Warhammer 40k universe. For a fan project the CGI is amazing and the whole scale and atmosphere of Holy Terra is just incredible. There's some issues with animations and lyp synch but otherwise looks awesome.

I do hope this will be a " kickstarter " for a bigger company to try to follow the footsteps and finally give us a Warhammer 40k project that extends beyond tabletop and novellas. ( and dawn of war games ).

Trailer for Headshot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sQwjpopd0g

Like Iko's other films, I'll be grinding my teeth or wincing through most of the action. Looks pretty good.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
VengeanceQuest982 said:
The first trailer for LOGAN is up and it looks solid now the wait for March has begun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div0iP65aZo

Looks better than I expected.

Oburi

All praise Grail
VengeanceQuest982 said:
The first trailer for LOGAN is up and it looks solid now the wait for March has begun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div0iP65aZo

I'm glad it's being directed by James Mangold, the same director of the previous Wolverine movie. I enjoyed the Directors Cut of that movie, even though he was walking the tightrope between pg-13 and R. But now that Deadpool has opened up the door for R rated superhero movies, I think this one will be very good.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
This looks pretty middling and that its from the same team as The Wolverine is not a plus to me. My guess is its going to be melodramatic and underwhelming at best, and I don't think Deadpool will help unless he shows up to improve the comically serious tone being presented.

Speaking of Deadpool, they just lost/dumped their director for the sequel over "creative differences" with Ryan Reynolds (he's really a star again =). Uh oh or oh well?

Griffith said:
This looks pretty middling and that its from the same team as The Wolverine is not a plus to me.

All I know about James Mangold is that he proudly displayed the list of movies that were inspiring him as he worked on The Wolverine, and it was a list of Criterion Collection Janus Films Jonathan Rosenbaum type movies like Chungking Express.

So yeah, I won't set any expectations based on a nicely edited trailer.

Griffith

Eluvei said:
All I know about James Mangold is that he proudly displayed the list of movies that were inspiring him as he worked on The Wolverine, and it was a list of Criterion Collection Janus Films Jonathan Rosenbaum type movies like Chungking Express.

So we can definitely expect a California Dreamin' montage in Logan? :ganishka:

Geez, this guy is such a wannabe. It's extra funny because The Wolverine is complete junk food; it's still better than hot garbage like X-Men:Origins, but just a better kind of bad.

Eluvei said:
So yeah, I won't set any expectations based on a nicely edited trailer.

It was... ok? I mean, it's a cheesy on-the-nose music video, hard to tell much from that except not to expect much subtly. BTW, Logan sucks as a title, just go Old Man Logan if that's what your adapting or do something else. Half measures as always.

Trailer for Luc Besson's new sci-fi movie called Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM

5th Element, Star Wars and other influences visually speaking. And it's weird the trailer gives Luc credit or importance for making Lucy.

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
Trailer for Luc Besson's new sci-fi movie called Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM

Been looking forward to this one.... strangely underwhelming to me though. Not necessarily a reflection of the actual product but the trailer didn't wow me as I'd hoped.

IncantatioN said:
5th Element, Star Wars and other influences visually speaking.

Perhaps that's why, The Fifth Element came out a couple years before The Phantom Menace (wow), but now every big budget tentpole space opera movie looks like this and there's more of them too.

IncantatioN said:
And it's weird the trailer gives Luc credit or importance for making Lucy.

It follows, it's the movie he most recently directed, was Sci-Fi, and was a big success with a major star ($450 million against a $40 mil budget). It would be weird if they didn't mention it, or instead chose The Messenger or something. As a matter of fact, it's recent success might be the reason he had the opportunity to do this.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
It's based on a comic book from the 1960s called Valérian et Laureline.

The influence has come full circle. Are you a fan of the comic, Aaz? I only know of it from the production of the film and Besson's collaboration with the artist on The Fifth Element.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
The influence has come full circle.

Yep. Legend has it that back when the original Star Wars came out, the comic's author commented on how it looked like a straight-up adaptation of his work.

Griffith said:
Are you a fan of the comic, Aaz? I only know of it from the production of the film and Besson's collaboration with the artist on The Fifth Element.

Not really, I read a few volumes as a kid but never the full thing. I'm somewhat tempted to read the whole thing now (I don't have particularly high hopes for the movie).

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Not really, I read a few volumes as a kid but never the full thing. I'm somewhat tempted to read the whole thing now (I don't have particularly high hopes for the movie).

There would be that irony if Besson's The Fifth Element, his own take on the genre, remains superior to his direct adaption of what influenced it. There's a history of that though, like Lucas making Star Wars when he couldn't do Flash Gordon. I'd probably stay away from the source material until after seeing the film so as not to bias myself further (it's just more things to see "wrong" with it). I do like that story of the Valerian creator urging Besson to "ditch this shit" while they were working on The Fifth Element and just do Valerian. :ganishka:

Griffith said:
It follows, it's the movie he most recently directed, was Sci-Fi, and was a big success with a major star ($450 million against a $40 mil budget). It would be weird if they didn't mention it, or instead chose The Messenger or something. As a matter of fact, it's recent success might be the reason he had the opportunity to do this.

I didn't realize it was that big of a commercial success! It makes sense then, like you rightfully break down. I was just going by what I felt about the movie -> meh.

Aazealh said:
It's based on a comic book from the 1960s called Valérian et Laureline.

Thanks, the movie's release schedule gives me some time to hunt and read the comic book.

While looking for the comic and finding out about number of issues, etc. I stumbled on this para on Wiki -

In 1991 Mézières began work producing concept art for the director Luc Besson for his film The Fifth Element. When the project stalled and Besson moved on to work on the film Léon in 1994, Mézières returned to Valérian for the album The Circles of Power (Les Cercles du Pouvoir). This featured a character, S'Traks, who drove a flying taxi around a great metropolis on the planet Rubanis.[28] Mézières sent a copy of the album to Besson who was inspired to change the background of Korben Dallas, the lead character of The Fifth Element, from a worker in a rocketship factory to that of a taxi driver who flies his cab around a Rubanis-inspired futuristic New York City. Mézières produced further concept drawings for Besson, including flying taxi cabs. He also re-used certain aspects of the design of the space liner seen in the 1988 Valérian album On the Frontiers for the Fhloston Paradise liner seen in second half of the film. The Fifth Element was finally completed and released in 1997. The importance of the four classical elements to the film is similar to the significance the elements have in the two-part Valérian story Métro Châtelet, Direction Cassiopeia and Brooklyn Station, Terminus Cosmos. However, Besson has claimed that he first came up with the idea for the film at the age of 16 which would pre-date the publication of these two albums.

Aaah, that's why it looks so close to 5th Element :isidro: ... it's the other way round ... 5th Element looked like this comic book!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
There would be that irony if Besson's The Fifth Element, his own take on the genre, remains superior to his direct adaption of what influenced it.

I'm mostly mindful of the fact Besson's only produced garbage for the past 15 years. :rakshas:

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
I didn't realize it was that big of a commercial success! It makes sense then, like you rightfully break down. I was just going by what I felt about the movie -> meh.

Right, but that tells us something too; as Aaz so eloquently points out there's not a lot of other relevant titles to choose from.

Aazealh said:
I'm mostly mindful of the fact Besson's only produced garbage for the past 15 years. :rakshas:

:ganishka:

Maybe he'll surprise us and pull a George Miller here. :carcus:

It certainly looks beautiful in places, and the footage from comic-con sounded impressive (for what that's worth), though even in this short trailer I saw some clunky stuff too. We'll see, here's hoping for a return to form.

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
Logan may now be my most awaited film of 2017, sorry JLA. Why? I read every solo Wolverine issue published and The Wolverine (director´s cut) was truly great till the 3rd act. He basically drove into another movie when he mounted that bike, a studio mandated Iron-man clone for some reason, to paraphrase the writer of the source comic Chris Claremont. The ultra gory Raven Software game was also quite something. Both were a solid 8/10 and James Mangold fully understood the character. Few (film) series went on for 17 years too and Jackman deserves to go out on top.
Let´s also see how X-23 (big fan here) will continue the torch but how did this continuity break again so quickly...

I even re-read Old Man Logan after watching the trailer. Great stuff but the usual Mark Millar "edge" (Hulk incest or "Spider-bitch") is still carp. The current Old Man Logan comic is lastly the best thing Marvel is putting. Read up if the trailer got you hooked and the film shot up to No.1 on Imdb after the trailer.

Rupert Sinclair said:
I really didn't like that trailer. I don't think I'll go out of my way to see this.

I second this. How attached was Ridley to the project? This left much to be desired and looks to add nothing to the series, given the trailer. Can't say I was expecting much after Prometheus. Judging by the comments on youtube many share the "meh" look of it all.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
1.5 minutes into the trailer: "This looks like a schlocky horror movie that happens to have Xenomorphs in it."
2 minutes into the trailer: "Confirmed."

I was half-expecting to see "A NETFLIX ORIGINAL" at the end. It's kind of sad what Ridley Scott's doing to his legacy. Hope you guys are ready for Gladiator: Reborn, Legend: Devil's Luck and a Thelma & Louise prequel.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Skeleton said:

After trying something new with Prometheus and failing (even though i applaud the effort, and would gladly pay to watch more movies that take chances, than the bland matinee filler we're forced to endure these days - looking at you Arrival and The Martian), we're back to basics! Alien meets Aliens with a protagonist that looks like Ripley. Thank the Farce Awakens for this diseased nostalgia ridden movie culture.
The promise of a direct sequel to Prometheus sounded way more interesting than this soft reboot. Hopefully it's just a bad trailer to a good movie. I'll watch it, Alien is my SW.

Top Bottom