Music companys' lawsuit against Duluth Mom begins. 1.2 million in damages

CnC

Ad Oculos
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/02/AR2007100201029_pf.html

Woman is accused of downloading/distributing 1,702 songs illegally.

This is the first to get trial as the rest of them settled out of court.

I hope this evil mother of 2 rots in hell for the emotional turmoil she's caused Sony BMG, Arista Records LLC, Interscope Records, UMG Recordings Inc., Capitol Records Inc. and Warner Bros. Records Inc. Shameful!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Off with her head I say!! I hope they destroy this monster for all the grief she's caused those honest, defenseless companies.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I take comfort knowing that almost any evidence the copyright holders might provide could probably more easily be forged.

After all, its just a sequence of numbers.

I'm not saying they do that (which would be disturbing rather then comforting), but a good lawyer could probably convince a jury.

CnC

Ad Oculos
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=071004233021.itudt24b&show_article=1

She lost. RIAA wins. Justice has prevailed! :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's fucking ridiculous. What a travesty. $9,250 per song? Way to ruin someone's life forever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thomas, an employee of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, an Indian tribe, was ordered to pay a 9,250-dollar fine for each of 24 shared songs cited in the case, including Godsmack's "Spiral," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Sara McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."
Indians listen to some shitty music.

Aazealh said:
Wow, that's fucking ridiculous. What a travesty. $9,250 per song? Way to ruin someone's life forever.
Seriously, it's such a scapegoat charge. Did you see the graph at the end saying it could have been $150,000 per song? How is this shit even concievably worth the price? You know what would be funny, an interview with GODSMACK or, better yet, Destiny's Child about how they feel about their work ruining this woman's life. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Seriously, it's such a scapegoat charge. Did you see the graph at the end saying it could have been $150,000 per song? How is this shit even concievably worth the price? You know what would be funny, an interview with GODSMACK or, better yet, Destiny's Child about how they feel about their work ruining this woman's life. :guts:

I hadn't seen that graph, no. And I don't understand the logic used to make any of these songs worth anything over $5, including the penalty fee.

CnC

Ad Oculos
There's sure to be an appeal.

Not to mention, like aaz said, if the recording industry themselves value these songs at 99 cents on iTunes, I don't see how they can rationalize 9 grand in damages.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
The way I imagine them justifying these insane fees is:
("cost of song") * (number of times song has been illegaly given)
not a simple cost per song.

The justification for this is that each upload "must" be money out of the copyright holder's pocket. There is no way to determine how many times a song has been uploaded though, so the number multiplier whould be fairly arbitrary. No one takes into account that, at current music prices, most people who've illegaly downloaded music have downloaded more then they could ever afford to pay for.

The media company's buisness models are based on the world working a certain way. That way is no longer the way the world is prone working. Instead of adapting, they throw thier weight around and try and muscle and scare the world into working the way they want it to. They need to change

S

smoke

They try to make an example of these people, to scare everybody else into not illegally downloading music/movies/etc. The problem with that -

- nvm, my torrents are done. Brb.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly when's the last time one group garnered the hate of such a large group of people. I'm not referring to the ~10 posts in this thread but the Internet community at large. I understand we aren't exactly an organized group, but seriously, these record execs have drawn the ire of millions by these ridiculously expensive lawsuits. How does the self-destruction of their public image work into their long-range plans?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Honestly when's the last time one group garnered the hate of such a large group of people. I'm not referring to the ~10 posts in this thread but the Internet community at large. I understand we aren't exactly an organized group, but seriously, these record execs have drawn the ire of millions by these ridiculously expensive lawsuits. How does the self-destruction of their public image work into their long-range plans?
They are so desperate for money that they have to pull out all the stops! Hell I had heard that they were thinking (the RIAA) to start charging back royalties to the main stream radio stations! WTF is that?!

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Hell I had heard that they were thinking (the RIAA) to start charging back royalties to the main stream radio stations! WTF is that?!

I think that fell through, as did their attempt to charge internet radio stations.

Top Bottom