Guitar Hero 3

I figured the game would be worth making a thread for, being a huge fan myself.

The 3rd installment (Which released last) I found very fun. I usually find myself on expert, this game more or less forced me to go to (Hard) about half way through. And some songs I can't even beat on hard. "Through the fire and flames" by Dragon force definitely set me back a lot.
Plus the final song against the devil himself. I also enjoyed the original songs, by slash and that audioslave guy.
Plus, I finally got my Metallica on the set list with (ONE). Over all I really enjoyed the game. :guts:

Death May Die said:
I figured the game would be worth making a thread for, being a huge fan myself.

The 3rd installment (Which released last) I found very fun. I usually find myself on expert, this game more or less forced me to go to (Hard) about half way through. And some songs I can't even beat on hard. "Through the fire and flames" by Dragon force definitely set me back a lot.
Plus the final song against the devil himself. I also enjoyed the original songs, by slash and that audioslave guy.
Plus, I finally got my Metallica on the set list with (ONE). Over all I really enjoyed the game. :guts:
OH MY GOD SPOILERS!
Just kidding. I was gonna make the thread myself but sided over it. Went to pick it up at the midnight launch at wal-mart, got the wired x-plorer, for those who don't know, the Guitar Hero 3 bundle comes with a wireless black les paul for both the PS3 and 360, however, Wal Mart must have signed some deal with red octane to get all their old guitars in the warehouse and ship them out. Can't really call shenanigans because there is a price difference,
$99 for wireless, $89 for wired. I went in expecting the $99 price tag but when I was told $89, well, it was just too good to be true. Oh well, I didn't have the 360 GH2 anyways, so no biggie.

As for the game itself, wow you're already on the 8th tier? I stayed up till about 4am Sunday night and about 2 last night working on it off and on. I just broke 4th tier on expert. Then again I don't know about you but I'm a five star bastard, so if I get a four I keep redoing it. Barracuda was fun until I realized like GH2 it was yet another Heart song with an insanely long fast riff, combined with my only complaint on the series, your star rating being more dependent on "score" than accuracy. Had a 97% on barracuda but because I didn't whore star power, took me a good five hours to get it.

Paint it Black, Paranoid (first song I learned to play on real guitar) and Sunshine of my Life sky rocketed my love for this game. Even enjoyed miss murder even though I'm not an AFI fan. Can't wait to get to One.

I heard Lou is a bitch to beat, is it true? I heard something about a lefty flip situation, but I'm a lefty already so maybe they'll make me play it right handed?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
My only experience playing the games is in drunken party situations, and yeah, I hate all the scoring bullshit because I'm focused on actually playing it right and in time like a real guitar rather than holding the button down for the arbitrary power up moments, then you lose to someone that doesn't know alternate picking from a turbo button but can outscore you from a pure gaming standpoint, true story, "You mean you can pick up AND down!?" :isidro:

Playing it always makes me think, "Wouldn't we have more fun if we actually jammed out to these songs?" Then I remember I'm lazy and the game is once again validated for it's quick fun. Seriously though, how many would-be musicians do you think this is going to cost the world that are just going to play games like Guitar Hero and Garage Band instead of getting into actual instruments? I mean, playing music can be as much a social outlet as anything, and this can simulate/replace that element for people, and much more easily. It's not a real serious question, but funny to think about. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Seriously though, how many would-be musicians do you think this is going to cost the world that are just going to play games like Guitar Hero and Garage Band instead of getting into actual instruments? I mean, playing music can be as much a social outlet as anything, and this can simulate/replace that element for people, and much more easily. It's not a real serious question, but funny to think about. =)

Dunno, I'd say this scratches the urge to air-guitar rather than deter anyone from picking up an actual instrument. Actually I'd go as far to say this could be a gateway drug into actually learning a real instrument.

Griffith

That's true as well, and the people you'd be gaining via the latter phenomenon would probably be better than the ones you'd be losing to the former.

Guitar Hero for me is just the video game/rhythm sim experience. Fact is, (at least in my only 2+ years of playing real) being able to play along with an actual master track of the song is about as spot on as it can get. There's countless technicalities that make it nearly impossible for a person to perfectly cover/repeat it, so GH is kind of a bridge across such to just have fun with. I can easily see it as a gateway to playing real guitar, as after last year I was constantly switching back and forth between hours and hours of real guitar playing/guitar hero. However, it hasn't happened yet with 3, my guitar playing's been in a slump for a few months now, hoping to get my muse =/

Griffith

Well, I'm still holding out for Bass Guitar Hero myself, but that's probably about as likely as this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/activision_reports_sluggish_sales

On a more genuine note, if you're slumpin', pick a real life guitar hero, learn their shit, and emulate/incorporate their style. Or just pick an artist or band to groove on for a while until you feel like you're back in the swing of things; for instance, I'm planning on getting THIS very soon. Complete scores, great preparation for Garage Band. =)

Griffith No More! said:
On a more genuine note, if you're slumpin', pick a real life guitar hero, learn their shit, and emulate/incorporate their style. Or just pick an artist or band to groove on for a while until you feel like you're back in the swing of things; for instance, I'm planning on getting THIS very soon. Complete scores, great preparation for Garage Band. =)
As far as playing others material, I've got quite a few tab books amounted as well as internet tabs saved up. Namely I kept pinning my further improvements on getting a teacher, but that's going to take quite awhile (at least next fall). I haven't actually watched that much video tutorials truth be told. I watched a short vid that came with my cheap Marshall DX (first amp) and after that it was self learning chords and scales(probably need to revisit them all when I pick up again honestly). I'm sure that if I wasn't so busy with work/iaido/kendo/working on returning to college I'd find more time to play my guitar, but for now I'm just another self taught lefty. Worked for Hendrix, but I learn better when taught first hand.

As for the game, just beat Slash. Up until welcome to the jungle, I still have 5 stars on everything. 4 on Welcome right now, but I'll get 5 on it in the morning when I don't feel as tired.

Griffith

Phoenix Wrong! said:
Namely I kept pinning my further improvements on getting a teacher, but that's going to take quite awhile (at least next fall)... working on returning to college

You could kill two birds with one stone by signing up for guitar classes at the local JC, or wherever you end up going. Way cheaper than most private lessons, and it gives you the opportunity to hook up with a bunch of budding local musicians outside your own circle of friends. Just an option.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
I'm just another self taught lefty. Worked for Hendrix, but I learn better when taught first hand.

What? You mean you're NOT better than Jimi!? :troll:

+10,000 points if you roll with an upside down e-flat Strat though, I've wished I was left-handed before just to do that, even considered buying a lefty guitar for the illusion. I settled on having my GF at the time paint my first guitar like so:

mystrat.jpg

I'm a big Jimi fan.​

Uhhhh, speaking of, can you play against Jimi in the guitar hero game at all? ON TOPIC, HA! :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Griffith No More! said:
Uhhhh, speaking of, can you play against Jimi in the guitar hero game at all? ON TOPIC, HA! :carcus:

I think you can play against him in one of their "boss battle" things.

Griffith No More! said:
You could kill two birds with one stone by signing up for guitar classes at the local JC, or wherever you end up going.
JC? Pretty sure what you mean but a clarification is fine. I do live kind of out in the sticks, my local college is 30 miles away (plus any other things I like to do). The only thing I've seen was an advertisement for classes in a brochure about a year before I took interest in guitar, don't know if its still being held.
Griffith No More! said:
Way cheaper than most private lessons, and it gives you the opportunity to hook up with a bunch of budding local musicians outside your own circle of friends. Just an option.
One thing I could afford to do is actually listen to my circle of friends in a good guitar session, yet ironically I've yet to actually ask for much advice. Part of the reason why I'm waiting to get into taking one when I return to college.
Griffith No More! said:
What? You mean you're NOT better than Jimi!? :troll:
I know, I shame myself!

Griffith No More! said:
mystrat.jpg

I'm a big Jimi fan.​

Nice guitar. My only problem with mine is the more I look into it, I'd rather have a flat neck (versus round) and am thinking of getting a new one around Christmas time (original was only $175 since it was a gift, purchasing my own around $500+).

As for "topic" as far as I know there is no Hendrix boss battle. Well, imo that would be seen as kind of awkward..But his carticature is playable again obviously. One critic was able to point out that neither Prince or Hendrix have yet to have a song on Guitar Hero.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Phoenix Wrong! said:
As for "topic" as far as I know there is no Hendrix boss battle. Well, imo that would be seen as kind of awkward..But his carticature is playable again obviously. One critic was able to point out that neither Prince or Hendrix have yet to have a song on Guitar Hero.

That must have been what I saw, then assumed he was a boss or something...

I have been a guitarist longer than a wrestler. I love to play, even jam out. But there are problems. I have a hell of a time getting people together to jam. In my case, my friends have to bring their stuff over and we have to set up. And to actaully jam to a cover...we all have know it. Gutair Hero is instant. At first I didn't like it. The timing seemed off and stuff. But you know, when you buy this game, you got to bare in mind, a game is all your getting. It doesn't really teach you any thing, but just like a guitar, you can get good at it.

Playing guitar hero to hear a song you like, is a lot easier than playing by ear, or reading tabs to hear a song you want to play which can take hours depending on how good you are. I guess I'm saying the progress is slow. Where as guitar hero's verson of learning songs, for me at least, was easier. I like to play both a lot. Infact, some times the game doesn't due justice and I got to stop and pick up the real one. Guitar Hero is a break from the things I hate about learning a cover.

CnC said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ao_vOsZkg
this guy's on speed or something :)
There's crazy and there's crazy and then there's that. O...M...G.

Wow. My friend made me play it at his house. I used to hate this game. But now, I'm hooked. I borrowed his game and guitar; then after one day, I bought my own. Even my old man, Mr. anti-video games, is learning to shred. :ganishka:

Thank you Activision...for bringing my father and I closer. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Thank you Activision...for bringing my father and I closer. :judo:

Oh I'm sure they're feeling the thanks of many people right now, since this launch was the most popular in their history; they've earned over 100 million dollars in a week.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Oh I'm sure they're feeling the thanks of many people right now, since this launch was the most popular in their history; they've earned over 100 million dollars in a week.

yea. Between this and rock band it's possible the rhythm games could dominate this season.

CnC

Ad Oculos
It was a good episode. The end was pretty stupid, tho.

The SP guys are very good at taking a relatively simple concept then taking it to a very funny extreme.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The SP guys are very good at taking a relatively simple concept then taking it to a very funny extreme.

Exactly, the world of warcraft episode is another example. I remember also they did something with the dateline:predator show that was hilarious.

Top Bottom