Call of Duty 4

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I have played it for about an hour and it is amazing. Beautiful graphics, great sound, and hard as hell! Definitely lives up to the hype, at least so far. Give this one a shot!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Never been a fan of Call of Duty, because it takes place during WWII (most boring setting ever IMHO). Please don't hate me. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Never been a fan of Call of Duty, because it takes place during WWII (most boring setting ever IMHO). Please don't hate me. :judo:
Pretty sure COD4 is actually a leap from WWII to modern day warfare. But yeah, I've never played a COD game before either, for the reason that the WWII genre has been grinded to dust.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Pretty sure COD4 is actually a leap from WWII to modern day warfare. But yeah, I've never played a COD game before either, for the reason that the WWII genre has been grinded to dust.

Ohhh, I wasn't aware of that. Well, good move, that makes it worth checking out for me. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Anyways, seeing how bad the last two CODs sucked. I'm going to play it safe and rent it.

Well the indications from the reviews coming in all seem to point to it being good. I'll perhaps pick it up tomorrow, if I get enough work done today.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Well the indications from the reviews coming in all seem to point to it being good. I'll perhaps pick it up tomorrow, if I get enough work done today.

That's why i'm just going to rent it. I'm not really into getting all the achievements for games on the 360, just playing them is fine enough for me. That and it's cheaper.

Bought the game yest. Wow, what a time I had just to purchase this thing. Jesus. I will say it plays well and the graphics are top-notch. S'gorgeous.
I just got done fighting through this 'middle eastern' city at night to protect a tank on normal. :isidro: The game isn't a cake walk walk by any means, I cannot imagine tackling it on the highest difficulty.
So far tho, so good.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Bought the game yest. Wow, what a time I had just to purchase this thing. Jesus. I will say it plays well and the graphics are top-notch. S'gorgeous.
I just got done fighting through this 'middle eastern' city at night to protect a tank on normal. :isidro: The game isn't a cake walk walk by any means, I cannot imagine tackling it on the highest difficulty.
So far tho, so good.

Yea I got it last night and played for a few hours. Honestly I wasn't really grabbed immediately besides the awesome visuals. There really wasn't much in the way of a connection I felt to what was going on around me. And frankly the first level was lame (who knew infiltrating a container ship at night during a storm could be so blasé). However it managed to stay interesting until it got friggin' incredible at the sniper level (the same level that was featured during e3). I thought I was playing a beautifully rendered shooting gallery until that level. You got a chance to soak in the visuals and you actually gave a shit about the person you were fighting with. It was just a better designed experience.

After that tho I was back to the shooting gallery. Le'sigh.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
CnC said:
Yea I got it last night and played for a few hours. Honestly I wasn't really grabbed immediately besides the awesome visuals. There really wasn't much in the way of a connection I felt to what was going on around me. And frankly the first level was lame (who knew infiltrating a container ship at night during a storm could be so blasé). However it managed to stay interesting until it got friggin' incredible at the sniper level (the same level that was featured during e3). I thought I was playing a beautifully rendered shooting gallery until that level. You got a chance to soak in the visuals and you actually gave a shit about the person you were fighting with. It was just a better designed experience.

After that tho I was back to the shooting gallery. Le'sigh.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Anyways, seeing how bad the last two CODs sucked. I'm going to play it safe and rent it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well, it looks like ridiculously high sales are expected here. With sell-outs in a lot of places.

Interesting.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just picked up a copy for the computer...really amazing. But the multipayer is what really does it for me. COD2 multiplayer for the PC was one of my most played online games for a while.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I noticed something since I own the it for the pc and its breathtaking, then i saw it on my friends xbox and..its almost as good. The multiplayer is awsome, I'm up till sunrise playing it and i've only beaten the first couple of levels in single player.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
So apparently the game isn't "true" HD and only runs at a resolution of 1024x600 (600p) with 2x AA, both on X360 and PS3. Has anybody that owns it here actually noticed something?

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?s=4671c96ce1bb23fa600b765c9e844f0d&t=40022

It looks gorgeous, even if it is only at 600p. I fail to see the point in counting pixels when the game is almost undeniably beautiful.

But even beyond that, I've been pretty addicted to the multiplayer in this game. Stupid things like leveling up are suddenly fun.

This one is very high on my list to play when I upgrade. All indicators from game reviews (more importantly, PC gamers) suggest this is a good grab. The videos look like game play has a lot of potential, and from previous first person experience, I can make the assumption the feel of the game will be very good. Unfortunately I'm yet to play personally yet.

And even if COD4 was again old school battlefield style, the legendary WW2 setting will always be awesome. :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Best cod ever.
photo35.jpg

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone want to post their CoD4 profile names in case I bump into anyone and have to kill them online? Or if your in a clan? Mine would be...yup you guessed it, Oberi!

P

Pencil-smith

I just installed COD4 two days ago and I must say that while the gameplay doesn't stand out a lot (didn't expect that from a CoD game, though it's still pretty good), its redeeming factor is the atmosphere.

The single player game is incredibly captivating. Few games I played before make you feel the cruelty of war, the waste of life, like this one. And the missions can be very engaging too... blowing up a radar mast doesn't have the same emotional impact as rescuing a wounded pilot beset on all sides by angry mobs.
Not to mention the fact one of your characters dies while you're playing it.
Sometimes I even felt empathy for the poor bastards I shot as they limped away or tried to shoot me in desperation.
Great cutscenes, great atmosphere. This game is one hell of a single player experience.

Multiplayer is meh... though the xp system is nice.

Top Bottom