Sleeping man tasered in his own home

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://reason.com/blog/show/123388.html

Earlier this year, North Braddock, Penn. resident Shawn Hicks came back from a night out and plopped down on his own couch in his own home. Unfortunately, he failed to deactivate the silent alarm on his home security system. According to Hicks, two police officers responded to the alarm, entered his home, and woke him with a taser between the shoulder blades. When Hicks tried to explain that the whole thing was a misunderstanding, and that the officers were in his own home, they tasered him again. They next checked his wallet and ID, which confirmed his name and address. Then they tasered him again. The police then removed the taser pellets from Hicks' bloody back, refused to get him medical treatment, and arrested him for "being belligerent." They threw him in a holding cell until 5 am the next morning, when they released him without filing any charges.

You know what happened next. The police department suspended the officers who tasered Hicks without pay while they conducted a thorough investigation. The chief then had them arrested for assaulting Hicks with their tasers, falsely arresting him, and violating his civil rights. The two officers were fired from the police force, then charged, convicted, and given lengthy prison terms.

Just kidding. They were cleared of any wrongdoing.

I find that pretty appalling honestly. There used to be a time when Tasers were the alternative to pulling out the real deal and shooting someone. Now they're just a lazy way to get people on the ground without tiring oneself.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Yea, this is fuckin' ridiculous. These cops were waaaay out of line. So this guy comes home from a "night out" which means he was probably passed out drunk. That doesn't mean you can taze him, bro.

The article says they weren't charged with anything criminal. But I would think a civil suit was in order...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
This is on par with tasering out of control 6 year olds.

Yeah or "belligerent" old folks that are 82 or something. What strikes me is that these incidents are more and more frequent now, there's a new one every week it seems.

S

smoke

Just do a youtube search for "police brutality". There's tons of unique results.

Fuck the po-lice! :troll:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
It gets better [worse].

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Taser-Elderly-Woman.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago's Police Department is investigating an officer's use of a Taser last month on an 82-year-old woman who police say was swinging a hammer when they arrived.

Lillian Fletcher was rushed to the hospital after being jolted by the Taser last week but has been released, police said Tuesday.

Officials with the city's Department on Aging went to her home Oct. 29 to make a welfare check and called police when they saw Fletcher in a window swinging a hammer, police spokeswoman Monique Bond said Tuesday.

Officers arrived and in an attempt to subdue Fletcher, one of them used a Taser, Bond said. The department is trying to determine whether the officer violated department policy on the use of stun guns.

Fletcher said Tuesday that officers pushed their way into her home. ''They shocked me,'' she said.

Fletcher at times sounded confused during the telephone interview. Her granddaughter Traci Taylor told the Chicago Sun-Times that her grandmother has schizophrenia and dementia.

''My grandmother is easily confused,'' Taylor told the newspaper, adding that the woman can be belligerent but is about 5 feet 1 and weighs no more than 160 pounds.

''I just don't think they should be Tasing 82-year-old women. That's ridiculous,'' Taylor said.

Tasers use compressed nitrogen to fire two barbed darts that can penetrate clothing to deliver a 50,000-volt shock to immobilize people.

Touted by law enforcement officials as less lethal than other ways of subduing combative people in high-risk situations, the weapons have come under criticism nationwide after they were blamed for several deaths.

In 2005, the police superintendent at the time suspended the distribution of stun guns after the deaths of two people who had been hit by police with Tasers.

Today, about 150 field training officers are set to be issued new Tasers, and about 200 sergeants have had the weapons for about five years, Bond said.

The human rights group Amnesty International USA has voiced concerns that police departments are starting to use Tasers more routinely rather than in cases of serious danger.

Taser use by police drew national attention recently when police stunned and arrested a University of Florida student after his fervent, videotaped outburst at an event with Sen. John Kerry in September.

In Ohio, a patrolman accused of repeatedly jolting a woman who had been arrested with a Taser gun faces a disciplinary hearing Friday, The Tribune Chronicle of Warren reported. The woman had been arrested because she was acting unruly at a bar, police said.

Good thing in this case is the cops involved are being punished. What ever happend to the good ol days of cops tackling drunk/elderly/children/sleeping people on couches? Honestly isn't there no decency anymore?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think the problem is that because it's less lethal than other weapons, cops don't restrict themselves when using it. If the rules were more strict I don't think there'd be as many problems.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
I think the problem is that because it's less lethal than other weapons, cops don't restrict themselves when using it. If the rules were more strict I don't think there'd be as many problems.

yup. Not to mention I think there's a big clump of nerves in between the shoulder blades. Being shocked there can be dangerous.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Not to mention I think there's a big clump of nerves in between the shoulder blades. Being shocked there can be dangerous.

Yeah, the keyword here is "less" lethal. Was "non" originally... :schierke: Even just the burn/puncture scars can be pretty ugly.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
What bothers me is that these things aren't happening in backwoods red-neck country, but in vibrant communities like the tri-state area.

Top Bottom