Ron Paul in 2008

Escalus

Kiss My Cons
If you search 'Ron Paul: Stop dreaming' on YouTube...

you may like what you see and hear. You may not.

But it really starts to kick ass at the 3:03 mark.

I was impressed.
He may be America's last hope (for intelligent policy, respect, integrity, y'know, the majors)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Let me get this straight...

You've been registered here for over a year.. and that was your first post? You couldn't even be arsed to get the YouTube link for us. If you expect me to go find something that would require the effort I'm now having to exert for this reply then you are SORELY mistaken, sir!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Uriel said:
Let me get this straight...

You've been registered here for over a year.. and that was your first post? You couldn't even be arsed to get the YouTube link for us. If you expect me to go find something that would require the effort I'm now having to exert for this reply then you are SORELY mistaken, sir!

I couldn't have said that better my self. I would like to point out that there was a youtube thread for such video posting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
that was your first post?

That wasn't his first post. =) Also, he posted the YouTube link in the "Adventures in YouTube" thread but it was taken down from the site so he removed his post. Anyway...

Ron_Paul%2C_official_109th_Congress_photo.jpg

THE LAST HOPE OF AMERICA

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well on the republicans side I like Paul, but that's probably because he appears the least crazy one in the madhouse. But yea, no chance.

S

Sanguinius

Though I am not an American I felt that people on this thread were being exceptional harsh on what seems to me to be one of the few politicans in the word who shows real conviction in his political beliefs in both his personal life and consistent voting record in his Congressional seat. I've attached a short writing he did from his 2008 campaign website and I find it quite absurd to compare a man who would write such a paper with Hitler.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/articles/161/what-does-freedom-really-mean/

I have studied quite a bit of modern and historical political events and there're few people in history who have have been stronger champions of individual freedom and liberty. Whether he stands any chance of winning I hardly see as relevant to the need to insult him. With the record of just about every elected government I would not say it's too great a shame to not win, as winning clearly doesn't mean you have any real governing ability or know what is best for the country.

S

smoke

I do give him a lot of credit for being convicted to what he believes in. He doesn't sidestep questions or spout talking points like the other candidates do.

He's actually got a few really good points on his platform. What's amazing to me is that he's raised so much money and is still so far back in the polls.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I saw that he's going to be on Meet the Press/Candidates this coming Sunday.

I might even tune in to hear what the chap has to say, just for the frell of it. The guy isn't going to win though =P

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
I saw that he's going to be on Meet the Press/Candidates this coming Sunday.

I might even tune in to hear what the chap has to say, just for the frell of it. The guy isn't going to win though =P

Interesting. I usually listen to the podcast of that so I'll stay tuned.

Quite frankly the republican campaign so far, to me, is like picking your favorite arch villain. While the democrat campaign is an argument over who would do the least nothing.

I like some of Paul's points on foreign policy and the military industrial complex, but some of the more domestic agendas I don't like as much.

S

Sanguinius

CnC said:
Interesting. I usually listen to the podcast of that so I'll stay tuned.

Quite frankly the republican campaign so far, to me, is like picking your favorite arch villain. While the democrat campaign is an argument over who would do the least nothing.

I like some of Paul's points on foreign policy and the military industrial complex, but some of the more domestic agendas I don't like as much.

I guess the arch villain stuff comes from most Republicans foreign policy but why makes Ron Paul an arch villain? He was arguing against war with Iraq from 1998 and supports habeas corpus, voted against the patriot act and similar measures that empowered government security agencies. As for his economic policies, I think most people don't understand a lot about economics. Having studied economics myself Ron Paul is interesting to me as it's rare to get someone versed in economics reach any high public office and still support policies that make sense from an economic and not political perspective. You might not realise but Ron Paul is an economic scholar who has published several very good economic books and I'd rate him as one of the most well informed politicans in the world in the field of economics.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sanguinius said:
I guess the arch villain stuff comes from most Republicans foreign policy but why makes Ron Paul an arch villain? He was arguing against war with Iraq from 1998 and supports habeas corpus, voted against the patriot act and similar measures that empowered government security agencies. As for his economic policies, I think most people don't understand a lot about economics. Having studied economics myself Ron Paul is interesting to me as it's rare to get someone versed in economics reach any high public office and still support policies that make sense from an economic and not political perspective. You might not realise but Ron Paul is an economic scholar who has published several very good economic books and I'd rate him as one of the most well informed politicans in the world in the field of economics.

Yes yes, I read the brochure, too. Just a little history for you, tho: You must realize he's not the first nor will he be the last to promise the things he's promising. Reagan, and Bush Jr. promised the same things. Look how thats worked out :schierke:

Don't get me wrong, like I've already posted I like the things Paul's saying however I take it with a grain of salt.

S

Sanguinius

CnC said:
Yes yes, I read the brochure, too. Just a little history for you, tho: You must realize he's not the first nor will he be the last to promise the things he's promising. Reagan, and Bush Jr. promised the same things. Look how thats worked out :schierke:

Don't get me wrong, like I've already posted I like the things Paul's saying however I take it with a grain of salt.

That history is not unknown to me, however their policies were not the same. Ron Paul is a leading advocate of Austrian economics a field of study I am quite sure Bush Jr. is unaware of and Ronald Reagan never advocated. Ron Paul has been consistent in saying the exact same things all his political career since the 70's. Whilst Bush and Reagan were career politicans that took on policies that they felt would get them into office whilst giving them some scope to do things they wanted to do. If you look into the details of what they want to do Ron Paul's economic plans are nothing like what any one else has proposed, if you only listen to the "sound bites" it might seem very similar but it's really world's apart. Normally I am also very distrustful of politicans too but when you adopt policies that literally leave you in the wilderness WHILE you hold political office, even if it's only a congressional seat. It seems hard to believe he would isolate himself for decades like this for any reason other than conviction. I'm also unaware of any other politician anywhere who returns part of his pay and turns down the health plan included with the job because he believes gov. has no right to tax people to pay for his health care.

S

Sanguinius

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Yeah sure Ron Paul is against sending troops to Iraq, but isn't he for sending soldiers into africa instead?

No. I don't know where you heard that but that's not true. Not only does he want to pull troops out of Iraq he wants to pull U.S troops out of South Korea; Japan; Germany and the Middle East as a whole just to mention the places outside of US territory that have a substantial US troop presence.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Sanguinius said:
No. I don't know where you heard that but that's not true. Not only does he want to pull troops out of Iraq he wants to pull U.S troops out of South Korea; Japan; Germany and the Middle East as a whole just to mention the places outside of US territory that have substantial US troop presence.

I can understand his wanting to pull out of the middle east, not to sure about the other places. You crazy germans and your world wars! :carcus:

Two things, Ron Paul doesn't really seem willing to take any stance on things like abortion and when he's asked he just says state's rights. I think if we left it up to the states to vote on most of them will out right ban it.

And the other thing, Ron Paul really looks like an older hitler if you draw a mustache on him, do it you'll be suprised.

S

Sanguinius

CnC said:
Yea yea. This is why I shouldn't discuss politics on internet forums

Yes, I can understand that, occasionally you might have to give a logical and thought out response rather than a witty remark as an answer.

Top Bottom