Episode 292

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
xbigvmanx said:
I don't mind the waiting either. The fact the series has a consistent writer/artist and brings out great quality in his work makes it worth the wait. When you compare his stuff to some of the American comic books over here they can't hold a candle to Miura-sans work.

How right you are. At first, waiting between episodes, especially over month long periods, was hard, but it gets easier as time goes on. As you said, what's important is Miura's consistency and exceptional storytelling. They really make waiting worth it. :guts:

Rhombaad said:
How right you are. At first, waiting between episodes, especially over month long periods, was hard, but it gets easier as time goes on. As you said, what's important is Miura's consistency and exceptional storytelling. They really make waiting worth it. :guts:

But without any date for release can be really worrying, the last time it happen, it was half a year wait...

Anyway what i believe now is Muira is probably trying to plan out a new more powerful enemies following Ganishka i suppose, Some of us here doubt that what come out from the Apostle chamber is not going to be the empowered emperor alone...

So how often is a new episode released? Most of the manga I read has one week, two week or at most, one month updates (and that month takes a WHILE to pass!!!!). Does Berserk take even more time than that? Last time I was prepearing to read it was I think a few months ago and by the time I finished reading it, it was still at 292 :(

dimasok said:
Last time I was prepearing to read it was I think a few months ago and by the time I finished reading it, it was still at 292 :(

292 just came out at end of november, I don't think that was a few months ago.

Berserk is a fortnight release. It's supposed to be around 2 episodes every months...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
dimasok said:
So how often is a new episode released? Most of the manga I read has one week, two week or at most, one month updates (and that month takes a WHILE to pass!!!!). Does Berserk take even more time than that? Last time I was prepearing to read it was I think a few months ago and by the time I finished reading it, it was still at 292 :(
[quote author=http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/information/index.html]
BERSERK is serialized in Hakusensha's "Young Animal", a seinen magazine published twice every month.
[/quote]

Miura has taken a number of breaks this year, viewable here:
http://skullknight.net/images/eps.htm

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hanafubuku said:
Wow, check that out - a 4 month delay for 280! I hope we won't have to wait that long for another release either - While it's worth the wait, that doesn't make time pass by any faster :judo:

I don't think it'll take as long, that 4 months long break was exceptional and announced in advance. My hopeful self is looking forward to a release on the 25 of this month, or maybe in early February.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
A lot of manga artists are required to bust out new releases on a regular schedule (one per week or one every other week or something)... I know that Miura used to do the every other week deal, but... Hmm...

How/why can/does he take these long breaks?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
A lot of manga artists are required to bust out new releases on a regular schedule (one per week or one every other week or something)... I know that Miura used to do the every other week deal, but... Hmm...

How/why can/does he take these long breaks?
Because he's an established mangaka and the main draw to the magazine Berserk is published in (Young Animal). That little factoid aside, we can't know any of the licensing/contractual agreements between him and Hakusensha or Young Animal, but his popularity over more than 10 years is sure to be a key factor in his allowance for breaks.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I would guess he has a contract with the publisher for a certain amount of episodes, but like Walter said even if he were to fall short of that number he has such a history with that should a need for a break occur I'm sure they can work it out.

As for other mangaka, it has to be different for each but I think ALL are given breaks so they can develop their story or lay the groundwork for future releases. Doing a series like this is grueling enough without having to make up the story on a per-episode basis.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
I know that Miura used to do the every other week deal, but... Hmm... How/why can/does he take these long breaks?

Ahhh, the question that comes back every time there's a break. It just never gets old.

Anyway, it's not like Miura didn't take breaks before (which to be more exact should be counted in number of YA issues skipped and not in weeks). He's just been taking more of them in the past few years (while repeatedly apologizing for it), and we had a couple of really long ones. Usually a reason is provided: it can be to develop the story, create new characters, stuff like that. Or to work on side projects, like volume covers, posters and other similar color illustrations, but also various merchandises (trading card game, video games, sculpted busts of the characters, etc). Those are the "usual" breaks, and while they mean that no episode is published, Miura still works as much as he usually does. He just does other things instead of drawing an episode. That includes the big break that lasted 4 months last year.

Then, there are the exceptional breaks, for example the time he fell ill due to overworking and had to take a rest for a while. Lastly, and that's just my guess, the fact we get more breaks nowadays is also a consequence of 15 years of working pretty much all the time with only very rare vacations. Miura's not 20 years old anymore and he probably wishes to enjoy his life a little more than he has been instead of toiling day in, day out. Not to mention that he should be careful not to excessively exhaust himself again.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Honestly I don't see why people keep complain about him taking breaks, he works very hard to give his fans a very well made story. I'd rather he take as many breaks he thinks he should have.

D

Duststorm

I guess people can't help being impatient. I mean most episode almost always feel like cliffhangers when they come out especially this one there a lot of suspense then there is the long weeks of waiting. I guess to most people who are used to the weekly Shonen chapter release, Berserk is a real change of pace. But considering the quality of each episode it is well worth the wait.
I am fine with Miura taking breaks and taking care of his health. I rather have him do that then him over working himself then getting seriously ill because if that happens it would take even longer for episodes to be released, that would really suck.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Duststorm said:
I rather have him do that then him over working himself then getting seriously ill because if that happens it would take even longer for episodes to be released, that would really suck.
Glad to know you have such a personal interest care in Miura's well-being :void:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I didn't have anything to do with it this time!

Well, to be honest the longer the episodes take the better. I can only afford the two volumes(max) of Berserk I have to buy annually anyway :puck:

hanafubuku

The deal with Magnifico worked out afterall
Uriel said:
I didn't have anything to do with it this time!

Well, to be honest the longer the episodes take the better. I can only afford the two volumes(max) of Berserk I have to buy annually anyway :puck:

Yes, that is how considerate Miura is. He knows how poor we are so he releases only when we can afford them beauties.

CnC

Ad Oculos
hanafubuku said:
Yes, that is how considerate Miura is. He knows how poor we are so he releases only when we can afford them beauties.

Not to get TOO hoighty-toighty but they're only like 5-7 bucks each! 200 pages of pure awesome comes at a discount as far as I'm concerned.

the shipping costs make it around 15-20, yea, but still...

Judo

Midlands finest
couldn't a general thread about the release-dates and breaks prevent the last few pages of nearly every recent episode-thread to become a discussion/whining about the long wait?

Top Bottom