Deus Ex 3

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamestop-under-fire-removing-free-coupons-deus-ex-234821510.html

They've since pulled it from their shelves completely. Doesn't surprise me, GameStop is such a snake pit; I don't go there unless I absolutely, positively can't get what I want anywhere else. When my dad went there to get a copy of Infinite Space, he was so turned off by the atmosphere and in-your-face non-service ("can we get your social and credit card numbers to charge you for our 'discount' card that costs you money!?") that he went out of his way to buy the 3DS and OoT at Target instead.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Adam Jensen: "I never asked for this..."

Seriously, the game doesn't deserve this treatment.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/gamestop-under-fire-removing-free-coupons-deus-ex-234821510.html

They've since pulled it from their shelves completely. Doesn't surprise me, GameStop is such a snake pit; I don't go there unless I absolutely, positively can't get what I want anywhere else. When my dad went there to get a copy of Infinite Space, he was so turned off by the atmosphere and in-your-face non-service ("can we get your social and credit card numbers to charge you for our 'discount' card that costs you money!?") that he went out of his way to buy the 3DS and OoT at Target instead.
Oooof... You opened up some old wounds there. Me and Gamestop don't get along in any way. Too many times I've seen, heard and witnessed ridiculous BS from these clerks just to achieve the store's quota. From "You can only use the XBOX 360 HDMI cables on the 360... No other brands" to their horrible "trade" services. On that lovely note; Their policy states that if a game (even if it's new) or box were tampered in any way, the trade value decreases from 60-70%. That being said, I am surprised that nobody has had a field day with the news regarding this.

I am glad that Gamestop got caught. A toast for a possible massive law-suite. Regarding Deux Ex, more headlines for the game really.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
I am surprised that nobody has had a field day with the news regarding this.
It made headlines at CNN earlier this evening: http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/24/technology/gamestop_coupons/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nomad said:
Oooof... You opened up some old wounds there. Me and Gamestop don't get along in any way. Too many times I've seen, heard and witnessed ridiculous BS from these clerks just to achieve the store's quota. From "You can only use the XBOX 360 HDMI cables on the 360... No other brands" to their horrible "trade" services. On that lovely note; Their policy states that if a game (even if it's new) or box were tampered in any way, the trade value decreases from 60-70%.

They're awful.

Nomad said:
That being said, I am surprised that nobody has had a field day with the news regarding this.

I am glad that Gamestop got caught. A toast for a possible massive law-suite. Regarding Deux Ex, more headlines for the game really.

Unfortunately, though it's getting major headlines as Walter pointed out, Squre-Enix seems to be actually bowing to GameStop even though the chain is clearly in the wrong here. I guess being the biggest and most ruthless game store in town pays off as distributors don't even want to cross you when you're fucking with their product and promotion because it competes with your service nobody's heard of and creates a conflict of interest for what's supposed to be an independent game store. Well, that is if the minds behind GameStop ever felt something like conflicted, that would indicate qualities like self-awareness or knowledge of right and wrong; as we can see, when there's a problem, they just take a knife to it. I hope GameStop's incestuous little house of cards collapses on itself sooner rather than later.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ok not derail the thread with more Gamestop bashing but I just have to get this off my chest.

I went yesterday to trade in a few games. Since I wasn't receiving my Game Informer magazine I figured I'd check the information since I was one of the people that got talked into becoming a vip member or whatever. As it turns out they had my e-mail wrong and my address wrong. So I asked the guy working there if I could grab the Game Informer mag that I missed since it was right there. He said yea but then the girl behind the counter jumped up and started with the whole "we can't just give them to you. You have to call and they will send them to you". At this point I was about to flip out, especially since I go to that store a lot and spend a lot of money. I even knew her name so I calmly said "Emily, I'm not trying to be a dick but seriously? I paid to become power member and since then the only Game Informer I received was the one the guy gave me that day... from the store." At that she said "fine take your magazine". At least the other guy rolled his eyes and was kinda on my side. I've just about had it with that place. I can already see myself storming out and knocking over a giant display of masterchief.

Anyway about Deus Ex, I'm finding it really challenging. I don't mind, but also because I don't have a lot of time to play it and when I do I'm not fully concentrated so I've been making a snails progress. I also wanted to beat the game without killing anyone but I forgot I think I may have killed a few guards at the very beginning so I guess I should go all out. Anyone else trying to not to kill anyone?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Anyway about Deus Ex, I'm finding it really challenging. I don't mind, but also because I don't have a lot of time to play it and when I do I'm not fully concentrated so I've been making a snails progress. I also wanted to beat the game without killing anyone but I forgot I think I may have killed a few guards at the very beginning so I guess I should go all out. Anyone else trying to not to kill anyone?
I think you should give up the pacifism route. It's a much more challenging route to take, and it's not something you should try your very first play through. The way I play the game is stealth as long as it's feasible, then if I get caught, I shoot it out, or kill one guy to get to cover and wait for the alarm to go. It's actually got a lot in common with Metal Gear Solid, in that regard.

You really have to get over the fact that this isn't the kind of game you can do everything in within a single play through. It lends itself to multiple tries and styles of play.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea reminded me of MGS. I guess I should do that. I really do have trouble killing people when I know there's another option. Besides, some quests have additional bonuses for not getting caught, which is what I was going for.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Yea reminded me of MGS. I guess I should do that. I really do have trouble killing people when I know there's another option. Besides, some quests have additional bonuses for not getting caught, which is what I was going for.
No unique bonuses though. It's just more credits or xp, which can always be gained by exploring and hacking more.

If you really want it, go for it, but I mean, you can't really complain about the game's pacing or challenge if you're forcing yourself down a more difficult, tedious path.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
No unique bonuses though. It's just more credits or xp, which can always be gained by exploring and hacking more.

If you really want it, go for it, but I mean, you can't really complain about the game's pacing or challenge if you're forcing yourself down a more difficult, tedious path.

yea but that xp is really valuable considering the augs that go with it. I really do want as much as i can get.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
yea but that xp is really valuable considering the augs that go with it. I really do want as much as i can get.
Well, then if you've got that big a hard on for it, you need to equip yourself with the proper augs. You should get max cloaking and upgrade your radar to the max so you can see cones of vision. Makes things much easier. The catch-22 here is that to be good at stealth to get more xp for augs, you have to spend xp on augs. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm so addicted to this game right now. I spoke too soon earlier. Considering that there are
three different cities that you go too
and I have a decent amount of augs already, I think I'm doing well. My thing is even after I get through an area via stealth and get the experience, I'll go back and take down everyone for even more xp :guts: I already got the achievement for preforming 50 takedowns in one playthrough because that's all I do for the most part :serpico: Also even if I have a passkey, I'll still hack too get the xp for that. Working out pretty well for me.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm pretty addicted too Oburi, I've clocked in about 24 hours and being as thorough as I can be about finding everything it has to offer. I've gone so far without killing anybody but
Barret of course
I'm in (2nd city)
China, at the TYM building
right now. The reflex booster that lets you take down two people mixed with tons of energy and the cloak really helps when I'm feeling too impatient to hug walls while hiding.

Edit:
Well, I beat the game, how's everybody else doing?
I really didn't like the endings for this game... it felt like they really rushed the last part. In the end I felt most strongly siding with Sarif, but that's because he was one of my favorite characters in the game. That might have to do with the fact that I was waiting for a huge backstab from him for half the game that didn't happen though... Goddamn Megan was a bitch "Is that you Jaron?" GOD DAMN WOMAN. The ending after the credits was awesome though, it felt like a Metal Gear ending moment. "Please, call me Bob," gave me chills along with the first Deus Ex theme. Overall I'd give the game an 8/10 since it felt rushed and I missed my melee weapons and leaning, but still it was worthy of the name Deus Ex.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Can someone tell me about how long this game is? I'm at the part where
I've returned to the China city for the second time and I was just shot down in the helicopter thingy.
Also, I know there are several endings for the game, is there a way for me to view all of them on my first playthrough? Do I need to save at a certain point so I can reload (I want the achievement :guts:).

I don't really know for sure how along I am in the game because like I said, I'm taking it very slow and given that I've only had a few hours for a few days a week to play I'm not blasting through it like I would normally. But I do have almost all of my augments. I think I'm only 4 or 5 away from being fully upgraded. I spent a lot of time getting xp. Finding secret areas, taking down all enemies, hacking everything, sidequests and a lot of backtracking.

I still think this is the best game I've played all year. Certainly the most addicting.

Dar_Klink

Oburi said:
Can someone tell me about how long this game is? I'm at the part where
I've returned to the China city for the second time and I was just shot down in the helicopter thingy.
Also, I know there are several endings for the game, is there a way for me to view all of them on my first playthrough? Do I need to save at a certain point so I can reload (I want the achievement :guts:).

I don't really know for sure how along I am in the game because like I said, I'm taking it very slow and given that I've only had a few hours for a few days a week to play I'm not blasting through it like I would normally. But I do have almost all of my augments. I think I'm only 4 or 5 away from being fully upgraded. I spent a lot of time getting xp. Finding secret areas, taking down all enemies, hacking everything, sidequests and a lot of backtracking.

I still think this is the best game I've played all year. Certainly the most addicting.
You can easily get all the endings in one playthrough, save when asked if you want to push certain buttons and you can reload back to that easily. Stick around for the after the credits movie, although if you didn't play the first one it won't mean as much to you. You're getting pretty close to the end, you have about 4 "areas" left, I don't mean hubs like China or Detroit, but like the FEMA camp or DRB territory.
It's been my favorite game of the year so far as well, I can't wait for more people to finish it so we can talk about it, especially those who beat the first game and loved it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Dar Klink said:
You can easily get all the endings in one playthrough, save when asked if you want to push certain buttons and you can reload back to that easily. Stick around for the after the credits movie, although if you didn't play the first one it won't mean as much to you. You're getting pretty close to the end, you have about 4 "areas" left, I don't mean hubs like China or Detroit, but like the FEMA camp or DRB territory.
It's been my favorite game of the year so far as well, I can't wait for more people to finish it so we can talk about it, especially those who beat the first game and loved it.

Ahh ok thanks. So
is there no third city? I thought in the trailer they said you could go to Montreal like you could Detroit.

Dar_Klink

Oburi said:
Ahh ok thanks. So
is there no third city? I thought in the trailer they said you could go to Montreal like you could Detroit.
It was planned, but ultimately had to be scrapped because of time constraints.
The Picus building was in Montreal though

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just beat it last night. Spoilers to follow.

So what ending did you guys prefer? I think I liked the "destroy everything" option the best. It fits in the most comfortably with the rest of the Deus Ex universe. And all the others seemed to be evil in their own ways. Though I could also see the Illuminati ending being compatible. But Taggart was such a douchebag I could never side with him.

Did everyone stick around for the scene after the credits? Basically it just confirmed that the "destroy everything" option was canon. Megan Reed went to work for Bob Page/Versalife after the collapse of Panchea. This is of course strongly links her directly to the creation of Paul and JC Denton.

Overall a fantastic game, and truly a worthy successor to the Deus Ex name. I could probably nitpick this game to death, but I don't really want to. It's far from perfect, but the great aspects far outweigh the weak ones.

Oh and for the record, my playtime was 26.1 hours. Though I know some that spent +30h on it.

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
Just beat it last night. Spoilers to follow.

So what ending did you guys prefer? I think I liked the "destroy everything" option the best. It fits in the most comfortably with the rest of the Deus Ex universe. And all the others seemed to be evil in their own ways. Though I could also see the Illuminati ending being compatible. But Taggart was such a douchebag I could never side with him.

Did everyone stick around for the scene after the credits? Basically it just confirmed that the "destroy everything" option was canon. Megan Reed went to work for Bob Page/Versalife after the collapse of Panchea. This is of course strongly links her directly to the creation of Paul and JC Denton.

Overall a fantastic game, and truly a worthy successor to the Deus Ex name. I could probably nitpick this game to death, but I don't really want to. It's far from perfect, but the great aspects far outweigh the weak ones.

Oh and for the record, my playtime was 26.1 hours. Though I know some that spent +30h on it.
Personally I liked the Sarif ending and self-destruct endings about equally, I think that it was made so any ending could be canon, but self-destruct does seem the most likely to be considered that. I was really pissed about Megan in the end, because it not only confirms her for working on the Denton project, it confirms her for being part of the Grey Plague as well. Oh, and if you read an e-mail in the Omega Ranch you could see hints of Paul Denton being there as a child. A scientist talks about naming the test subjects after apostles, and according to official data Paul was born in 2018 and was tested on at MJ12 facilities as a child.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finished finally! What really pissed me off was how close I was to getting the achievement for maxing out all my augs but alas, there was not enough xp in the final level for me. I only 2 augs left! But anyway I though it was great
(I liked the self destruct ending best). Btw, did you guys save Megan? I didn't know she could be saved and after trying twice I gave up on it, only to find out later that she didn't have to die :sad: My playtime 21.1.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
(I liked the self destruct ending best). Btw, did you guys save Megan? I didn't know she could be saved and after trying twice I gave up on it, only to find out later that she didn't have to die :sad: My playtime 21.1.
You mean
Malik
. And yes, I figured that out after the fact too. Probably one of the most depressing points in the game. :judo:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
You mean
Malik
. And yes, I figured that out after the fact too. Probably one of the most depressing points in the game. :judo:

Woops, yes I meant that. Also,
speaking of Megan, right after your final encounter with her you can go up the elevator and into the hanger with the ship. But if you can get into the small room in the back and hack the computer (the hardest hack in the game for me) you can find some weird info on a "hanger 18". I also got an achievement for it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Self-sacrifice ending would be my favorite by far if not for the fact that Adam dies in it. So as it stands, I put it on par with the Darrow ending, which I like purely from an intellectual point of view (THE TRUTH) despite knowing it could never truly work. I'm ambivalent on Darrow, by the way. Guy obviously was an arrogant old fucker, but to some extent I can understand him.

Walter said:

Yeah there's a hundred things in the game I could complain about, but overall I really liked it. A worthy successor indeed, that did DX justice when Spector's DX2 didn't. My playthrough was 55.5 hours. That's right, I really checked every corner of the game.

Dar Klink said:
Personally I liked the Sarif ending and self-destruct endings about equally, I think that it was made so any ending could be canon, but self-destruct does seem the most likely to be considered that. I was really pissed about Megan in the end, because it not only confirms her for working on the Denton project, it confirms her for being part of the Grey Plague as well. Oh, and if you read an e-mail in the Omega Ranch you could see hints of Paul Denton being there as a child. A scientist talks about naming the test subjects after apostles, and according to official data Paul was born in 2018 and was tested on at MJ12 facilities as a child.

Yeah I also think all endings are supposed to be possible, though Page's talk with Megan is more plausible within the context of a self-sacrifice. What's hinted at, I think, is that no matter what you choose, it was spinned by the Illuminati. Obviously going for Taggart does that, but going for Sarif does as well, and killing yourself again does it. The only option likely to damage them to any extent is Darrow's, but it's nothing they couldn't outdo. And yeah, Megan's easily the most despicable character in the game to me. She's essentially the archetype of the remorseless scientist even though they tried to portray her somewhat differently. Betrayed Adam with Sarif, then got over her abduction ridiculously well (I'd understand the situation had it been 5 years and not 6 months) and went so far as to be friendly with the man who killed you in front of her (and I say "friendly" because I don't want to take the unkempt double bed in the room as a hint that they slept together). Then of course, she went to Versalife to work on the "hybrids" (i.e. Paul & J.C.).

And yeah, I caught the apostles talk too (and various references to Christianity, starting with "Adam", the first man of the new age) and the file on Darrow's computer in the room you find Megan is also very explicitly hints at it. Basically says that nanomodifications weren't possible before because they led to quasi-immediate rejection, but that thanks to the new DNA sample provided by Darrow (from Adam obviously) it changes everything and makes their research viable. There's really lots of cool references to the first game like that, and it contributed immensely to my enjoyment of the game. From the UNATCO theme playing from radios, to the DX main theme playing on the gramophone in the "white room" (the one you find Megan in), or the many emails referencing everything from Bob Page and Versalife to alien lifeforms (what you find on the hidden computer in Hangar 18) or WHO spokesperson Elizabeth Duclare. They really nailed it all. Almost too much actually, considering how much the game parallels the first DX. I'd have liked them to take more risks at times.

Oburi said:
Finished finally! What really pissed me off was how close I was to getting the achievement for maxing out all my augs but alas, there was not enough xp in the final level for me. I only 2 augs left!

Are you sure there's an achievement for that? I didn't see one on Steam.

I saved Malik. Seemed like the obvious thing to do (having played the first game where you can save both Paul & Jock), and since I had 500 Assault Rifle ammo and 9 EMP grenades on my person at the time, it wasn't particularly difficult. A friend of mine did it the non-lethal way, so it's possible but he struggled.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Bought the game a couple of days ago. So far so good. Granted, I'm only doing bits and pieces... I'm still a bit undecided what exactly to focus on augs. I start with stealth, but eventually I just start going postal and so forth. Not keen on FPS but the RPG element makes up for it.

Top Bottom